April 19, 2024, 03:59:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memorial Day 2013–Remembering & Thanking Our Heroes For Their Sacrifice  (Read 1721 times)
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« on: May 27, 2013, 10:51:23 AM »

Memorial Day 2013 – Remembering & Thanking Our Heroes For Their Service & Sacrifice Because Freedom is not Free

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2013/05/27/memorial-day-2013-remembering-thanking-our-heroes-for-their-service-sacrifice-because-freedom-is-not-free/

On this Memorial day, Scared Monkeys provided a special thank you to all of the men and woman who have sacrificed their lives to that We, the United States of America, remain free. As we know, freedom is never free and it is our heroes of the United States Armed Forces who we all owe a debt of gratitude. Thank you for your service, sacrifice, honor and dedication to this country. So please, as you have the day off today, spend it with family and friends and celebrate the day in your own special way, take the time to remember those who gave their lives to make this day possible. These are true American heroes who should never be forgotten.

On a personal note I say thank you and you are missed to my uncle who is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. He served during WWII in George S. Patton’s Third Army. During his service he was a multiple Purple Heart recipient and was awarded the Bronze Star and Silver Star. What a special person this man was and a walking talking historian. He was so hesitant, like so many heroes from our “Greatest Generation” of talking about what he had experienced. My Uncle Joe enlisted as an 18 year old boy and came back from WWII a changed man, whose own mother did not even recognize. He would only talk about the war to me in his later years when he realized I was studying it in college as I was a History major. So many of his accounts of what happened just brought a tear to my eye that so many went through so much and sacrificed all. For me, other than the religious holidays of Easter and Christmas, the two most important American holidays are Memorial Day and Independence Day. Freedom truly is not free. I learned that from a man who until the day he passed away set off metal detectors in airports from the shrapnel that was in his body as a result of multiple German hand grenades.  I can remember Taps being played at my uncles funeral at Arlington National Cemetery like it was just yesterday.  To my uncle … Thank you from your namesake, Red.

We will never forget all of the brave acts of courage and sacrifice from all those who have served, God Bless All.
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »

Americans gather to honor fallen service members

http://news.yahoo.com/americans-gather-honor-fallen-members-091220037.html

Americans planned to gather at cemeteries, memorials and monuments nationwide to honor fallen military service members on Memorial Day, at a time when combat in Afghanistan approaches 12 years and the ranks of World War II veterans dwindles.
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:59:50 AM »

HONOR THE FALLEN

http://projects.militarytimes.com/valor/
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 02:42:28 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nJTqpKlZ9U
SOME GAVE ALL
Dedicated to all of those who have served our great country and who have given their all!

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.