March 28, 2024, 04:50:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #62 12/03/14  (Read 786055 times)
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #520 on: August 13, 2016, 02:56:00 AM »

Mere - check in when you can, I worry about you with all the rain in Louisiana!   

Dear Klaas....huge amounts of water on the entire area.... http://www.wwltv.com/  There were four weather alerts last night on my phone...
something new...!!!

There is a small creek behind the house that is more like a small river now.  The creek overflowed in March, but the "low point" on the subdivision is about two blocks away from me. 

I have been checking the "Hurricane/Storm List" and have what I
need for an evacuation.  The only thing is I am no longer the owner of an SUV......so I would need to go out by boat....lol.

I see that there will be rain continuing for days.  I am really in good shape this time.....electricity is on, have a loaf of bread, house is dry, got three weeks of meds, and the dog is exhausted from barking at the thunder....lol.

Will write again soon....and thanks.....Mere

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #521 on: August 13, 2016, 03:19:28 AM »

http://www.wwltv.com/weather/update-curfew-in-effect-for-tangipahoa-parish/296241615

http://www.wwltv.com/weather/road-closures-for-washington-st-tammany-and-tangipahoa-parishes/296061191

The Governor's mansion has had flooding, and the list of closed roads is huge.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #522 on: August 13, 2016, 08:24:54 AM »

Mere - check in when you can, I worry about you with all the rain in Louisiana!   

Dear Klaas....huge amounts of water on the entire area.... http://www.wwltv.com/  There were four weather alerts last night on my phone...
something new...!!!

There is a small creek behind the house that is more like a small river now.  The creek overflowed in March, but the "low point" on the subdivision is about two blocks away from me. 

I have been checking the "Hurricane/Storm List" and have what I
need for an evacuation.  The only thing is I am no longer the owner of an SUV......so I would need to go out by boat....lol.

I see that there will be rain continuing for days.  I am really in good shape this time.....electricity is on, have a loaf of bread, house is dry, got three weeks of meds, and the dog is exhausted from barking at the thunder....lol.

Will write again soon....and thanks.....Mere

I'm relieved to hear you are high and dry and you are prepared with meds, food etc!  Is your phone and TV service staying up ok?  Please stay safe! 
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #523 on: August 13, 2016, 02:03:45 PM »

Hello Klaas....first, phone and TV are up.  Many friends are affected now.  Imagine this....there are people who live in what is called a "no flood" zone.....so they have no flood insurance.....and now have two feet of water in their home.
One couple had to evacuate with their terriers and few day old puppies.

I have had flood insurance since it first became available.  It is about $300 a year.  With hurricanes and storms, it is
a necessity.  If you are in a flood zone, your bank/mortgage company requires it.  I also am in a no flood zone, but as you can see, I am sitting here waiting for water...!!!  My New Orleans children were in no flood zones for Katrina and their home was flooded to the attic for 4+ weeks.  LOL....can you tell I believe it flood insurance?   

Anyhow....thanks for checking on me.....Mere

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #524 on: August 15, 2016, 05:51:55 PM »

Hello Klaas....first, phone and TV are up.  Many friends are affected now.  Imagine this....there are people who live in what is called a "no flood" zone.....so they have no flood insurance.....and now have two feet of water in their home.
One couple had to evacuate with their terriers and few day old puppies.

I have had flood insurance since it first became available.  It is about $300 a year.  With hurricanes and storms, it is
a necessity.  If you are in a flood zone, your bank/mortgage company requires it.  I also am in a no flood zone, but as you can see, I am sitting here waiting for water...!!!  My New Orleans children were in no flood zones for Katrina and their home was flooded to the attic for 4+ weeks.  LOL....can you tell I believe it flood insurance?   

Anyhow....thanks for checking on me.....Mere

Mere, I'm glad the floods haven't touched your home and you are prepared. A lot of insurance companies did not cover homes in my area after hurricane Sandy because they said it was a "Surge" so they avoided a lot of payouts. I really thought the fix was in when they made that call.

Stay safe and thanks for the updates.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #525 on: August 16, 2016, 07:59:02 PM »

Mere - hope you are still ok!  Check in when you can!  Let us know if there is anything any of us can do to help.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #526 on: August 17, 2016, 07:47:59 AM »

Klaas.....good morning....

I am so fortunate.  Water around me but none of it came into the subdivision.  I could not get out until yesterday
afternoon.  The sun was out and hundreds of people were out.  The parking lot at WalMart was filled...as was the store.

Most of the shoppers were from Denham Springs......a town that was totally flooded....although there are many towns affected.  I felt like a re-do of Katrina. The lady behind me in line at the Pharmacy had been in the store for two hours...and the store was closing at 6 p.m.  as their staff was affected and the trucks that could get through were half empty....or less.  She had that shocked look in her eyes.  She had lost everything.  As I moved to leave the Pharmacy, she hugged me.  All I needed were two meds so I was in and out quickly.....however I stopped at Winn-Dixie for
some grocery items.  It was less crowded, but there were many locals filling shopping carts.

When you see FEMA, you know what these people are about to go through.  Many had no time to get out of their house, no extra money and the ATMs were not working, no extra gas or enough meds.  Their banks are flooded as are the gas stations.  The lines for everything are soooo long....and yet each feels fortunate to have gotten out.

I could go on and on but I dont want to sound so depressing.  The sun is shining today, and I am fortunate to be
high and dry....16 feet above sea level...!!!

Hugs, Mere

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #527 on: August 29, 2016, 01:00:07 AM »

Hi Mere (Klaas & San as well)

So glad to hear you were not flooded out of your home and are keeping safe and dry. I have a college friend in Baton Rouge that has kept me updated. She wasn't flooded but some of her family were - plus my son's new bride's family has relatives in Denham Springs that lost nearly everything.

I am taking the first real vacation I've had in five years, my years of traveling the country every week are now over. New wonderful job near my home, start next week and grateful for this new blessing. I lost my mother earlier this summer, two weeks prior to my son's wedding, so it's been a summer of ups and downs.

Hope you all are well, happy, and thriving. 

I continue to stand with the girl.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #528 on: August 29, 2016, 08:08:31 AM »

So glad to hear you were not flooded out of your home and are keeping safe and dry. I have a college friend in Baton Rouge that has kept me updated. She wasn't flooded but some of her family were - plus my son's new bride's family has relatives in Denham Springs that lost nearly everything.

I am taking the first real vacation I've had in five years, my years of traveling the country every week are now over. New wonderful job near my home, start next week and grateful for this new blessing. I lost my mother earlier this summer, two weeks prior to my son's wedding, so it's been a summer of ups and downs.

None - so sorry to hear about your mom, must have been very hard for you especially right before your son's wedding.  Congratulations on your son's marriage!  Hopefully you absolutely love your new DIL and hopefully, grandkids soon to come!

Job close to home!!!!!!!  Finally!!  I'm coming close to retiring completely.  Been working part time for the last 5 years and i think December may be when I hang up my hat.  I don't know how you did it, all that travel!

Enjoy your vacation and say Hi to "little None".

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #529 on: August 29, 2016, 09:08:14 PM »

Nonesuche,  I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your mom.  You deserve a nice long vacation with all the traveling you have done.  Congratulations to your son and his new bride.  Nice to hear you got a job close to home and you don't have to travel anymore.  Enjoy the new job.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #530 on: August 30, 2016, 06:47:27 AM »

Hi None......first I am so sorry to hear about your Mom.  You certainly cared for her for many years.  And then I am happy for son and new dil.....
Denham Springs did lose so much.

I am watching the Gulf right now and going to fill car with gas, get money from ATM, and get bags of ice for the refrigerator in garage.  Yesterday was the anniversary of Katrina.....and we were all here on SM at that time.  Time does fly....  You do have to plan ahead.  I wish I had a small motorhome instead of a car.

It sounds so wonderful to think that you no longer have to travel.  Don't know how you did that for so long.  Please keep in touch here when you can.
Mere  

Looks like I answered you inside of your note.....
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:51:30 AM by Mere » Logged

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #531 on: August 30, 2016, 08:52:32 PM »

None - so sorry to hear about your mom, must have been very hard for you especially right before your son's wedding.  Congratulations on your son's marriage!  Hopefully you absolutely love your new DIL and hopefully, grandkids soon to come!

Job close to home!!!!!!!  Finally!!  I'm coming close to retiring completely.  Been working part time for the last 5 years and i think December may be when I hang up my hat.  I don't know how you did it, all that travel!

Klaas,

I do love my DIL very much. They are so in love which is wonderful to know they have each other.

I was going to post a photo but it won't embed, only shows the link? Perhaps I've forgotten the trick to posting a photo here?

I think my mother must have been the angel to help me find this new job, it actually happened just after she passed. The weekend post her funeral I was sitting outside in FL feeling sad, had to stay over the weekend due to a grumpy client and a butterfly landed on my forehead. Since that day butterflies are in my path daily......perhaps she and Rick are flying together.

I am jealous you are going to retire this year but also very happy for you Klaas. You deserve it !!!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #532 on: August 30, 2016, 08:55:52 PM »

Nonesuche,  I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your mom.  You deserve a nice long vacation with all the traveling you have done.  Congratulations to your son and his new bride.  Nice to hear you got a job close to home and you don't have to travel anymore.  Enjoy the new job.

Thanks San, I will have to travel about 20% with this new job but that's manageable. It's a big job but one I'm ready for  and hopefully with a recession-proof Fortune 500 company. I am lucky to have this opportunity at my age.

How have you been San?

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #533 on: August 30, 2016, 08:58:54 PM »

Hi None......first I am so sorry to hear about your Mom.  You certainly cared for her for many years.  And then I am happy for son and new dil.....
Denham Springs did lose so much.

I am watching the Gulf right now and going to fill car with gas, get money from ATM, and get bags of ice for the refrigerator in garage.  Yesterday was the anniversary of Katrina.....and we were all here on SM at that time.  Time does fly....  You do have to plan ahead.  I wish I had a small motorhome instead of a car.

It sounds so wonderful to think that you no longer have to travel.  Don't know how you did that for so long.  Please keep in touch here when you can.
Mere  

Looks like I answered you inside of your note.....

Mere,

Just please be safe and know you are always welcome to come visit with me  It's tragic to see LA hit again so hard as if Katrina weren't enough?

I think the travel expectations for consultants has gotten out of hand in recent years but it's a living, so glad I could even find work after the recession hit. I will however enjoy sleeping in my bed every night now !!

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #534 on: August 31, 2016, 08:34:31 AM »

Klaas,

I do love my DIL very much. They are so in love which is wonderful to know they have each other.

I was going to post a photo but it won't embed, only shows the link? Perhaps I've forgotten the trick to posting a photo here?

I think my mother must have been the angel to help me find this new job, it actually happened just after she passed. The weekend post her funeral I was sitting outside in FL feeling sad, had to stay over the weekend due to a grumpy client and a butterfly landed on my forehead. Since that day butterflies are in my path daily......perhaps she and Rick are flying together.

I am jealous you are going to retire this year but also very happy for you Klaas. You deserve it !!!

To post photos now the photo needs to be in photobucket or one of the other online sites.  Must be a URL to post. 

So happy you love your DIL!  I love butterflies!  We plant milkweed in our small garden for them! 

None - I'm well beyond normal retirement age so it's time.  I'll likely continue to work for them from home updating the website, adding new items, etc but likely only a couple days a week.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #535 on: August 31, 2016, 10:06:34 AM »

Klaas....do you know where I put my picture?  I was fooling around and I lost it.  Thanks.....Mere

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #536 on: August 31, 2016, 06:41:16 PM »

Klaas,

To post photos now the photo needs to be in photobucket or one of the other online sites.  Must be a URL to post. 

So happy you love your DIL!  I love butterflies!  We plant milkweed in our small garden for them! 

None - I'm well beyond normal retirement age so it's time.  I'll likely continue to work for them from home updating the website, adding new items, etc but likely only a couple days a week.

Thanks Klaas, I did try posting the photo with a link to my flickr account but when I hit "preview" only the link showed even when I used the picture brackets? So...I just changed my profile photo to the photo I wanted to post. It's my fave from the wedding...

I will probably work until 70 if they let me just to qualify for a pension! I also think my "busy mind" won't take retirement so well......I think your situation is ideal to be able to work from home and also only part-time!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #537 on: August 31, 2016, 06:44:23 PM »

Klaas....do you know where I put my picture?  I was fooling around and I lost it.  Thanks.....Mere

Mere, it's somewhere in your profile settings.....I changed mine last night.

My friend from Baton Rouge just posted this on Facebook & thought you would find it interesting.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/historic-august-flood-caused-seemingly-innocuous-disturbance-louisianas-climatologist-says?utm_campaign=dr_pm-2016_Aug_29-16_01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dr_pm

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #538 on: August 31, 2016, 09:28:52 PM »

Mere, it's somewhere in your profile settings.....I changed mine last night.

My friend from Baton Rouge just posted this on Facebook & thought you would find it interesting.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/historic-august-flood-caused-seemingly-innocuous-disturbance-louisianas-climatologist-says?utm_campaign=dr_pm-2016_Aug_29-16_01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dr_pm

Great article(s)......still looking for my identity....lol.   

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #539 on: September 12, 2016, 07:57:52 PM »

Don't miss the Dana Pretzer show TOMORROW night at 9pm ET:

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.