March 18, 2024, 09:25:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jamisha Gilbert (18) Missing Lynchburg, VA - 11/29/13 / Deceased  (Read 10342 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 07:27:47 PM »

http://www.nbc12.com/story/24131242/clothing-found-in-investigation-of-missing-lynchburg-teen

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 07:28:32 PM »

http://www.nbc12.com/story/24131242/clothing-found-in-investigation-of-missing-lynchburg-teen

Lynchburg Police call area where body was found "crime scene"
Posted: Dec 04, 2013 6:26 AM CST Updated: Dec 04, 2013 6:31 PM CST
By Laura Geller - bio | email

LYNCHBURG, VA (WWBT) -

Lynchburg Police say they have found a body in a heavily wooded area, while in the process of searching for missing 18-year-old Jamisha Gilbert.

The area between Route 460 and Concord Turnpike was active with a heavy police presence all day and night, Wednesday. Lynchburg Police and Fire, along with Virginia State Troopers, had been combing the area, but this is not what they were hoping the outcome would be.

"During their search, team members located a deceased black female," Lynchburg Police Lt. Dave Gearhart said.

That discovery came around 10:30 Wednesday morning. While we're told police have been in touch with Jamisha's family, it is important to note right now, they have not confirmed that body is the missing 18-year-old. She was last seen by friends on Friday and was reported missing Sunday. Now, only the medical examiner will determine exactly who it is.  

At this point, we're told detectives are investigating this as "a suspicious death."

"At this time, the area is being treated as a crime scene and is being thoroughly processed by Lynchburg Police Department and Virginia State Police crime scene technicians," Lt. Gearhart explained.

Authorities would not say exactly what the body was like when it was found and if anything else was located around it, in what's described as a heavily wooded area.

As of Wednesday evening, detectives had not taken anyone into custody in this case and they will not comment on any suspects.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 11:39:30 PM »

http://www.wset.com/story/24139406/what-happened-to-jamisha-gilbert

What Happened to Jamisha Gilbert?
Posted: Dec 04, 2013 8:53 PM CST
By James Gherardi

Lynchburg, VA - Following the discovery of a body Wednesday, Lynchburg police are waiting for an autopsy before announcing an identity.

An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday morning, but police do not know how long it will take for identification.

So many questions still remain surrounding missing 18 year old Jamisha Gilbert. About her maroon car found Friday, her mom says she wrecked; about that boyfriend she was last seen with; and the latest discovery of a woman's body.

"During their search team members located a deceased black female" said Lt. Dave Gearhart of the Lynchburg Police Department.

Friends and family of Jamisha are devastated with the discovery. Fearing the worst now for the missing 18 year old.

"It's very emotional, that someone would do something to her. She never bothered anybody" said Johnson.

"They did let me see the car, and I saw how tore up the car is" said Norma Gilbert-Eldridge, Jamisha's mother.

Although police have not commented on the extent of the damage, Eldridge, says her wrecked Honda Accord, found Friday, was undriveable, "And that's a little scary because the car is really bad" she said.

Eldridge also claims that boyfriend, who friends say Jamisha was last seen with, was driving at the time of the wreck.

"He was in fact driving she was on the passenger side, he was driving. I believe he was in the car the whole time" she said.

"For young girls to keep going missing, it's very scary" said Johnson.

According to Lynchburg Police, Jamisha's boyfriend was questioned in connection to her disappearance.

Also Lynchburg investigators say the crime scene is still being secured and they will be back on the scene Thursday to continue looking for evidence.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 02:25:14 PM »

http://www.wsls.com/story/24140221/body-discovered-in-lynchburg

Lynchburg body identified as Jamisha Gilbert
Posted: Dec 04, 2013 11:07 PM CST Updated: Dec 05, 2013 10:55 AM CST
By Rachel Lucas, Digital Journalist - email

11:52 a.m. Lynchburg Police says the body discovered on Wednesday has been identified as Jamisha Gilbert.  They have no further information to release at this time.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/article_025733ce-5d03-11e3-af69-0019bb30f31a.html

Police identify body of Jamisha Gilbert

Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:30 pm | Updated: 1:19 pm, Thu Dec 5, 2013.

Steve Hardy

Lynchburg police today said the body found Wednesday was identified as that of missing 18-year-old Jamisha Gilbert.

A body was recovered Wednesday morning as search crews scoured the area along Pleasant Valley Road, said Lt. Dave Gearhart, of the Lynchburg Police Department.

Gearhart has said police are treating Gilbert's death as a "suspicious death" investigation.

Aside from the identification, Gearhart said police will not be releasing any information.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 02:33:35 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/LynchburgPolice/posts/730954690265267

Lynchburg Police Department shared a link.
2 hours ago

This is an update regarding the missing person investigation involving Jamisha Gilbert of Lynchburg.

The Roanoke Medical Examiner’s office has positively identified the deceased female located in the area of Concord Turnpike and Rt. 460 as being the missing female from Lynchburg, Jamisha Gilbert.

No further information to release at this time.
Thank you.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact the LPD Criminal Investigations Division at 434-455-6054, or call Crime Stoppers at 1-888-798-5900. Visit the Central Virginia Crime Stoppers website at www.cvcrimestoppers.org to enter a web tip, or text “CVCS” plus your message to 274637

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 01:54:17 AM »

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/article_be2c4d8e-5dce-11e3-8908-001a4bcf6878.html

Police identify Jamisha Gilbert's body

Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2013 11:30 pm | Updated: 12:44 am, Fri Dec 6, 2013.

Steve Hardy

The body found near the intersection of Concord Turnpike and U.S. 460 on Wednesday has been identified as that of missing 18-year-old Jamisha Gilbert.

In the hours after police made the announcement, mourners rushed to the home of Gilbert’s mother to lend their support and Heritage High School students and faculty grieved the death of a young woman who graduated earlier this year. Meanwhile, the families of Alexis Murphy and Morgan Harrington are planning to visit Lynchburg this weekend to educate the community on steps to prevent future disappearances.

There is no evidence linking Gilbert’s death to Murphy’s disappearance or any other criminal investigations, authorities have said.

Police believe there is no threat to the public, but Thursday afternoon Lynchburg Police Lt. Dave Gearhart, the department’s public information officer, declined to discuss how investigators came to that assessment.

When asked if investigators suspect foul play, he declined comment. He declined to discuss evidence collected in the investigation, a potential cause of death and whether investigators believe Gilbert died where she was found, saying only her death was being investigated as “suspicious.”

The city’s Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office is collaborating with investigators, said Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney Chuck Felmlee. He said such is standard procedure to determine whether foul play was involved in suspicious deaths.

Wednesday, police restricted access to the Megginson Cemetery off Megginson Lane between U.S. 460 and Pleasant Valley Road

Thursday afternoon, scraps of crime scene tape led several dozen yards through a wooded area northeast of the cemetery. The narrow path ended in an area downhill of the cemetery, within sight of houses on Pleasant Valley Road, where a patch of thorny brush and tall grass had been cleared.

Scores of officers have searched along Concord Turnpike this week. The morning of Nov. 29, Gilbert’s car was discovered wrecked and abandoned near the intersection of Winston Ridge Road. Two days later, her family reported her missing.

Search efforts focused on the turnpike after a tipster reported seeing Gilbert walking near the road some time between 1 a.m. and 8 a.m. on Nov. 29, Gearhart said, though he declined to provide more details of the account.

“Jamisha Gilbert was a very intelligent young lady with a promising future,” wrote Principal Tim Beatty in a news release.

“This is a tragic loss for Heritage High School and the Lynchburg Community.”

Loved ones are trying to raise money to help Gilbert’s family pay for funeral services, family friend Vera Parks said. Gilbert will be buried near family in Maryland, where she is from, Parks said.

Forum to be held:

The SHOPO Foundation for Youth will hold a public forum at noon Saturday in Miller Park in Lynchburg. Alexis Murphy's aunt, Trina Murphy, and Morgan Harrington's parents will attend and speak to the gathering, foundation founder B.B. Shavers said.

They will discuss the Alexis Murphy and Jamisha Gilbert cases, and try to raise awareness about safety issues, he said.

"We have to make sure that we bring awareness and educate our kids," he said. "And at the same time, as a community, we have to look out for one another."

— Alicia Petska

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 01:59:10 AM »

http://www.wset.com/story/24144848/update-body-identified-as-jamisha-gilbert-no-connection-to-murphy-case

UPDATE: Body Identified as Jamisha Gilbert, No Connection to Murphy Case
Posted: Dec 05, 2013 10:59 AM CST

UPDATED: 4:02 p.m.

Lynchburg, VA - Lynchburg Police say the Medical Examiner has positively identified the body found yesterday as 18 year old Jamisha Gilbert.

The autopsy on the body was completed Thursday morning.

Police say the body was found at Megginson Lane Cemetery in a wooded area, where crime tape was put up Wednesday.

A hearse pulled in around 6 p.m. Wednesday, presumably to take the body to the Roanoke medical examiners office.

A spokesman with LPD says they don't expect to hold any news conference Thursday.

Below is the entire news release by Lynchburg Police:

"In an attempt to keep the public adequately informed about the investigation involving Jamisha Gilbert, the Department is releasing the following information:

Investigative efforts made by the Lynchburg Police Department Criminal Investigations Division include following up on numerous leads, conducting multiple interviews, collecting available evidence, and searching various areas around the Concord Turnpike area. At this time, this case is being investigated as an incident that involves a suspicious death.

Up to this point in the investigation, no information has been obtained that would lead investigators to believe that this case is in any way related to the missing person case involving Alexis Murphy. Also, investigators have not received any information that would lead them to believe that the public is in any immediate danger as related to the circumstances in this case.

The Lynchburg Police Department will diligently continue their investigative efforts in an attempt to determine the exact circumstances surrounding this case.

The Lynchburg Police Department will continue to provide updates as necessary."

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 02:08:22 AM »

http://wtvr.com/2013/12/05/medical-examiner-positively-ids-body-as-missing-teen/

Missing girl’s mother: ‘I knew Jamisha was gone’

Posted on: 11:58 am, December 5, 2013, by Nick Dutton and Lorenzo Hall, updated on: 08:38pm, December 5, 2013

LYNCHBURG, Va. (WTVR) — Yellow police tape marks the spot where search crews discovered the body of a missing 18-year-old from Lynchburg behind some headstones marking graves Wednesday.

The Roanoke Medical Examiner’s office confirmed Thursday that the body found in graveyard near Concord Turnpike and Rt. 460 was Jamisha Gilbert.

The discovery came five days after Gilbert’s mother filed a missing persons report. The teen was last seen on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

“Here I sit. It just seems like this is not real, but I know it’s real,” Norma Gilbert-Eldridge told CBS 6 News anchor Lorenzo Hall Thursday.

Gilbert-Eldridge said she knew her daughter was not going to be found alive.

“As a mother, I just felt it in my body. I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach and I knew Jamisha was gone,” said Gilbert-Eldridge.

She said her daughter was responsible, with plans to attend the University of Maryland, and even boasted about her acceptance letter online earlier this year.

Police are not saying who they believe is responsible for Jamisha’s death, but her mom is shifting her efforts to the search for that person.

“I hope your conscious will not let you rest until you come forth and tell what you know – or tell what you did, because you deserve to be punished,” said Gilbert-Eldridge.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 12:16:17 AM »

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/jamisha-gilberts-death-is-not-the-first-tragedy-her-family-has-faced/-/20128466/23342476/-/mdl7n2z/-/index.html

Jamisha Gilbert's death is not the first tragedy her family has faced
Norma Gilbert-Eldridge had to bury two other children before losing her daughter, Jamisha
WDBJ7 Bedford-Lynchburg Newsroom Bureau Chief Tim Saunders Tim Saunders, tsaunders@wdbj7.com
POSTED: 06:51 PM EST Dec 05, 2013    UPDATED: 06:52 PM EST Dec 05, 2013

LYNCHBURG, Va. -

With the support of friends and a lot of prayer, Norma Gilbert-Eldridge is processing an unthinkable loss.

It's a road she's been down before.

"I'm no stranger to tragedies with my children, unfortunately," Gilbert-Eldridge said Thursday.

Her oldest son was shot and killed a few years ago.  A daughter died of cancer at a young age.

Now, she's dealing with yet another loss: the suspicious death of her pride and joy, Jamisha.

"She was a fun loving girl," Gilbert-Eldridge said.  "She was very opinionated.  She spoke her mind."

She was also a strong student, with plans to attend college.

"She knew what she wanted, but she made a wrong choice," said Gilbert-Eldridge.

The circumstances surrounding Gilbert's death are unclear.  Police found her family car wrecked and abandoned Friday morning along Concord Turnpike.

Gilbert-Eldridge believes her daughter's boyfriend was driving.

"It's still being investigated, but I know he was the last one seen with her," said Gilbert-Eldridge.

Regardless of what happened, she's now preparing for her child's funeral.

It's a task she's taken on twice before, strengthened by a deep relationship with her God.

"If it was not for him being on my side, I would crumble like anyone else," said Gilbert-Eldridge.  "When you have a relationship with him, you know that your children are on loan and you are supposed to get them ready to meet him."

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 12:18:13 AM »

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/article_f8af1acc-62ec-11e3-8c6f-0019bb30f31a.html

Funeral held for Jamisha Gilbert

Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:19 am | Updated: 8:21 am, Thu Dec 12, 2013.

Steve Hardy

Mourners poured into Court Street Baptist Church on Wednesday afternoon to say goodbye to Jamisha Gilbert, the 18-year-old found dead last week under what investigators are calling suspicious circumstances.

“Short though it was, it was a beautiful life,” the Rev. D.R. Milton said at Gilbert’s funeral.

Friends and family remembered the teenager as a sweet young woman who always was eager to help others and encourage those around her to be their best.

Milton asked friends, teachers and clergy to stand and pray over Gilbert’s family members, asking God to give them comfort.

Mourners sang, spoke and read letters as they looked on the pink casket draped in a Washington Redskins blanket at the front of the church.

Though she died young, Gilbert touched the lives of those around her forever through her compassion, intelligence and bubbly personality, several said.

As police continue their investigation into Gilbert’s disappearance and death, Milton urged the congregation to keep searching for answers.

“God’s justice will prevail. … You cannot take the life of one of God’s children and get away with it,” he said.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »

WE WANT    !!

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 09:55:10 AM »

WE WANT    !!

Absolutely!

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.