March 28, 2024, 11:27:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nigella Lawson and Charles Saatchi: "Playful Tiff" or Abuse?  (Read 1647 times)
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: June 18, 2013, 03:16:59 PM »

Airdate: 06/17/2013
A disturbing photo showing celebrity chef Nigella Lawson with her multimillionaire husband's hand around her throat is front page news and it's drawing concern for the domestic goddess from around the world.

The photo shows Nigella and her husband, former advertising executive Charles Saatchi, in what appears to be a violent argument at a popular London restaurant. It was first published in London's Daily Mirror newspaper, which claims that Nigella was grabbed by the neck four times and that she left the restaurant in tears.

Nigella is a bestselling author and frequent guest on talk shows. She was recently a judge on ABC's The Taste.

Today, her husband is calling the incident nothing more than a "playful tiff." Saatchi told the London Guardian, "We were having an intense debate about the children and I held Nigella's neck repeatedly while attempting to emphasize my point."

"Nigella's tears were because we both hate arguing, not because she had been hurt. We had made up by the time we were home," Saatchi said.

But a witness at the restaurant painted a different picture.

http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/6508-nigella-lawson-and-charles-saatchi-playful-tiff-or-abuse

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 09:31:04 AM »

I think guys like Charles Saatchi have been getting away with abusing their partners for years, and try to justify it.  I've heard it said the best defense is a good offense. Saatchi is caught on camera with his hand around Nigella's throat, gets a "caution" from the police, she takes the kids and moves out and he plans to divorce her for not defending him.  That's rich!    I find if Charles Saatchi is divorcing his wife under these circumstances, that's very offensive!!  What a pompous azz!!    Why not be a decent human being and take responsibility for what he has done?  He was caught in a photo abusing his wife, and he wants her to defend him?  Geesh!     I found the photo very chilling, and not what I believe a "playful tiff" would look like.  This photo was taken in public.  How was Charles Saatchi treating Nigella in private?  JMHO 

http://www.statesman.com/ap/ap/entertainment/saatchi-says-he-is-divorcing-nigella-lawson/nYfqt/
Saatchi says he is divorcing Nigella Lawson
July 7, 2013

LONDON — Prominent art collector Charles Saatchi said Sunday he is divorcing his celebrity chef wife Nigella Lawson because she did not publicly defend his reputation after images emerged of him grasping her throat in a posh London restaurant.
Tabloid newspapers last month published photos of the incident, which Saatchi described as a "playful tiff" during an intense debate about the couple's children.
The 70-year-old Saatchi was given a police "caution" after admitting assault.
He told Britain's Mail on Sunday newspaper that he was "sorry" to announce he will be divorcing Lawson, adding that they have become "estranged" and drifted apart over the past year.
"'I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way," he said.
In what the tabloid called an "exclusive statement" breaking the news to Lawson, Saatchi also suggested that Lawson had herself grasped his neck in a similar fashion in the past.
The Mail on Sunday said that Lawson was not made aware of the divorce move prior to publication.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 09:49:51 AM »

Hmmm.  Here's another article with a bit different explanation.  No matter how you gloss it, it still sounds like he's divorcing her because she won't defend him publicly.  I think her silence has been good. In this article he's quoted as "being a disappointment" to his wife.  Um, yeah.  He's sorry they had a row, he's sorry she's upset, sorry it's the end of their marriage etc.  He never says he's sorry he had his hand around her neck.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23216575
Charles Saatchi and Nigella Lawson to divorce
July 7, 2013

Art collector Charles Saatchi says he is divorcing his wife, the television chef Nigella Lawson.

It follows the publication of photographs which showed him with his hands around her throat at a London restaurant in June.

Mr Saatchi, 70, who accepted a police caution for assault, told the Mail on Sunday he had "clearly been a disappointment" to his wife.

He said it was a "heartbreaking" decision for him.

Mr Saatchi said the couple had "become estranged and drifted apart" over the past year.

"I am sorry to announce that Nigella Lawson and I are getting divorced," he told the newspaper.

'Disappointed'
"I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way."

"I am sorry that we had a row. I am sorry she was upset. I am even more sorry that this is the end of our marriage," he added.

The pictures of the couple at a restaurant in Mayfair, central London, showed Mr Saatchi grasping his wife's neck.

The images, which were first published in the Sunday People, provoked a public debate about domestic violence among the rich and famous.

Mr Saatchi dismissed the incident as "a playful tiff" but later accepted a police caution for assault, saying he had done so to stop the incident "hanging over" them.

Ms Lawson has made no comment since the incident.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.