April 23, 2024, 09:32:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dylan Redwine, 13yrs old, last seen 11/19/12, Vallecito, CO #2 (Body Found)  (Read 494863 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #480 on: November 14, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/15952087-demand-justice-for-dylan-redwine

Demand justice for Dylan Redwine[/b]
Durango : CO : USA | Nov 14, 2013 at 4:03 AM PST

It's been nearly an entire year and the Dylan Redwine case is at a lull -- a disappointing fact considering all of the circumstances. 

Dylan Redwine should be at home with his mother right now. He should be preparing for a Thanksgiving holiday with the people who love him. Instead, he is gone and all that is left are questions, suspicions and accusations. The mother of the murdered teen has long believed that his father was directly involved in his disappearance -- and this is a sentiment that is agreed upon by what appears to be the majority of the public. It doesn't help that Mark Redwine has failed one polygraph test and squirmed out of taking another one. His own son's remains were located not far from his home -- and officials have combed over his property at least twice in search of evidence.

Regardless of the suspicion, it's important to keep reminding investigators that the public has not given up on Dylan. We want justice and we want answers.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #481 on: November 15, 2013, 12:27:31 AM »

an angelic monkey

https://www.facebook.com/FindMissingDylanRedwine/posts/749682108391728

Find Missing Dylan Redwine · 29,766 like this
9 minutes ago ·

This weekend is bittersweet. We will celebrate the life of Dylan.

He will be missed, never ever forgotten.

We shall see each other again my friend.

Dylan, this is for you. We miss you.

http://youtu.be/H8g2zU5YnEw

Remembering Dylan
Jenna Price

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/H8g2zU5YnEw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/H8g2zU5YnEw</a>

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #482 on: November 15, 2013, 12:59:06 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=550638341671964&set=a.502619143140551.1073741828.502486793153786&type=1

We Will Be Heard & Justice Will Be Served
3 hours ago

Family. Dylan loved his friends but he lived for his family. He was as proud of them as they were of him. Nobody better talk badly of any member of Dylan's family because as kind and gentle as Dylan was, that was one of the few things that would truly make him angry. He was the light of their life. Their love for Dylan is one of the most powerful forces we have ever felt.

His oma fought so hard to see him one last time before she went to heaven. When she got there, there was Dylan to greet her with a huge smile and a hug. What a comfort it is to everyone that she is there with him, holding him close and planting kisses all over his beautiful face. Our profile picture of Dylan and Oma is one of the most precious pictures we have ever seen. The look of pure love and sweetness on Dylan's face says all you need to know about how he felt about her.

Dylan had one basic rule for the man in his mutti's life. Love my mutti and treat her with dignity and respect. Mike loves and supports Dylan and Cory, and he knows how to treat their mutti right. He has earned their love and respect. And from the time that Dylan disappeared, only one man has been what a father should be. One man has searched for Dylan to the point of exhaustion and one man has grieved Dylan's loss like a father who has had his son ripped from his arms. And at his memorial on Saturday, Dylan will have only one father in attendance. The one who respects and honors his memory. Mike.

I saw something on Facebook yesterday that really sums up all of this. It said simply "every time you see your kids, hug them and kiss them like it will be the last time you ever see them". Life is sometimes too short, way too short.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #483 on: November 15, 2013, 02:58:08 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151991270538954&set=a.263519173953.139314.255354123953&type=1

Kevin Torres

I'm Reporting from the southwest corner of Colorado tonight. It's almost been a year since Dylan Redwine disappeared from his father's home in Vallecito. Over the summer investigators found some of Dylan's remains on middle mountain. Tomorrow morning, hundreds will gather in Bayfield to say goodbye to Dylan. I'll be there as well. Before then, I urge you to tune in to 9NEWS at 9pm/10pm tonight. In an in-depth interview, Elaine Redwine discusses what the last year has been like for her and her family.
5 hours ago

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #484 on: November 15, 2013, 03:16:41 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151991283123954&set=a.263519173953.139314.255354123953&type=1

Kevin Torres

One year later investigators have yet to find Dylan Redwine's killer. They haven't even named a suspect. If you've been following the case, I wonder: What's your take on it? Make sure to watch my in-depth interview with Elaine Redwine TONIGHT on 9NEWS at 9pm/10pm.
2 hours ago

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #485 on: November 15, 2013, 06:09:37 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151991285888954&set=a.263519173953.139314.255354123953&type=1&relevant_count=1

Kevin Torres

The investigation in to who murdered Dylan Redwine gained national attention from the beginning. Thousands of people have reached out to Elaine Redwine to show their support. What message do you have for Elaine and her family? Make sure to watch our interview tonight on 9NEWS at 9pm/10pm.
about an hour ago

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #486 on: November 15, 2013, 06:44:54 PM »

http://www.pinerivertimes.com/news.asp?artid=1223

Elaine Hatfield blames ex-husband in death of Dylan Redwine
11/15/2013
By: Melanie Brubaker Mazur

Left, Elaine Hatfield waited on the shore of Vallecito reservoir in April as cadaver dogs and boats searched for any sign of her missing son.
File photo by Denise Hess

On Nov. 19, 2012, her son disappeared.

Eight months later, a few of his bones were found on Middle Mountain near Vallecito.

Almost a year after his disappearance, Elaine Hatfield and her fiance, Mike Hall, and her surviving son, Cory Redwine, are holding a memorial service for Dylan Redwine, who was 13 when he disappeared.

Services are at 10 a.m. tomorrow at Pine Valley Church on County Road 501 north of Bayfield High School. Afterwards, there will be a dedication of a stone bench in Pine River Cemetery, followed by lunch at the church.

In a telephone interview on Tuesday evening, Elaine Hatfield remembered the difficulty of the past year.

The worst part was finding Dylan's bones scattered on the mountain, she said. But it was somewhat bittersweet, because we had found him. We promised we'd find him. But he should never have gone missing in the first place.

In June, investigators found some of his remains. They haven't said exactly what was found, but sources have indicated it was the remains of his foot. Nothing else has been found.

Dylan had flown to the La Plata County Airport Nov. 18, 2012, for a court-ordered visit with his father, Mark Redwine, who lives in Vallecito.

Investigators confirmed Dylan arrived at the airport, went to McDonald's and Wal-Mart in Durango with his dad, then arrived at his dad's home on CR 500 north of the reservoir.

Dylan had lived with his mom and brother in Bayfield until the summer of 2012, when they moved to Monument, near Colorado Springs.

He texted his friends that evening, making arrangements to meet them early the next morning in Bayfield.

That evening, the texts stopped abruptly.

No one heard from him or saw him again, except his father. Mark Redwine told investigators he got up early the next morning and tried to wake up his son to take him to Bayfield, but Dylan wouldn't get up. So he left for Durango to do errands. Investigators confirmed he was in Durango for three to four hours.

He said when he came home, Dylan was gone. At first, he said wasn't too concerned, figuring he had left with a friend. That afternoon, he texted his ex-wife, asking if she had heard from their son.

She called police, setting into motion a search that later involved the Bayfield Marshal's Office, La Plata County Sheriff''s Office, Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the FBI, search personnel from area fire agencies, and hundreds of volunteers.

This week, Hatfield said she believes her ex-husband killed her son.

Yes, I always have from day one, when Dylan was missing, she said. Those who know me, who knew Mark, who knew my boys, knew that as well.

Hatfield said it was disheartening at first when she knew foul play was involved, and police said he could have run away. She said she knew he hadn't done that.

If Dylan would have ran off, Dylan would still be alive.

She insisted from the beginning he would have called her if he wanted to leave his father.

She said her son's flight to Durango originally had been scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 17, but was cancelled and rescheduled for the next day.

She said her son hadn't really wanted to make the visit and asked her, Mutti, is that a sign? using the German term for mommy.

She wishes she hadn't put him on the airplane, but at the time, didn't feel she really had a choice.

One year later, investigators are still trying to find the rest of Dylan Redwine's remains, and what happened to him in his final hours.

She said she receives updates from the investigators, but she cannot share any of that information.

I can say there will be justice for Dylan, she said. I want the person who is responsible for Dylan's death to know there will be justice for Dylan.

She said while the search is proceeding quietly, it's still going on.

They will not give up until this is solved, she said.

The past year has been a mixture of highs and lows. She and Mark both appeared on Dr. Phil, trading accusations in their son's disappearance. She became engaged to her boyfriend, Mike Hall. She is now looking forward to the birth of her first grandchild, a boy, to Cory Redwine and his girlfriend.

She said it has been hard to keep going.

I don't really have any choice, she said. I have to live for my family, I have to live for Dylan.

He can't be here doing all the things he wants to be doing. I have to keep his name and spirit out there alive in many respects I live for Dylan.

While she knows tomorrow's memorial service will be difficult, she wants to invite those who knew Dylan to attend so she can thank them for supporting her and her family during the search and investigation.

It's a heartfelt thank you, she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #487 on: November 15, 2013, 06:58:40 PM »

Not sure what was going on with the punctuation when I first read the article in my last post, but I'm posting it again so you can see the quotes from Elaine, as well as other punctuation that wasn't visible in my first post.  Sorry about that.  If a kind mod would delete my first post and this message, I'd really appreciate it!  TIA   Embarassed

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #488 on: November 15, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »

http://www.pinerivertimes.com/news.asp?artid=1223

Elaine Hatfield blames ex-husband in death of Dylan Redwine
11/15/2013
By: Melanie Brubaker Mazur

Left, Elaine Hatfield waited on the shore of Vallecito reservoir in April as cadaver dogs and boats searched for any sign of her missing son.
File photo by Denise Hess

On Nov. 19, 2012, her son disappeared.

Eight months later, a few of his bones were found on Middle Mountain near Vallecito.
Almost a year after his disappearance, Elaine Hatfield and her fiancé, Mike Hall, and her surviving son, Cory Redwine, are holding a memorial service for Dylan Redwine, who was 13 when he disappeared.

Services are at 10 a.m. tomorrow at Pine Valley Church on County Road 501 north of Bayfield High School. Afterwards, there will be a dedication of a stone bench in Pine River Cemetery, followed by lunch at the church.

In a telephone interview on Tuesday evening, Elaine Hatfield remembered the difficulty of the past year.

“The worst part was finding Dylan’s bones scattered on the mountain,” she said. “But it was somewhat bittersweet, because we had found him. We promised we’d find him. But he should never have gone missing in the first place.”

In June, investigators found some of his remains. They haven’t said exactly what was found, but sources have indicated it was the remains of his foot. Nothing else has been found.

Dylan had flown to the La Plata County Airport Nov. 18, 2012, for a court-ordered visit with his father, Mark Redwine, who lives in Vallecito.

Investigators confirmed Dylan arrived at the airport, went to McDonald’s and Wal-Mart in Durango with his dad, then arrived at his dad’s home on CR 500 north of the reservoir.

Dylan had lived with his mom and brother in Bayfield until the summer of 2012, when they moved to Monument, near Colorado Springs.

He texted his friends that evening, making arrangements to meet them early the next morning in Bayfield.

That evening, the texts stopped abruptly.

No one heard from him or saw him again, except his father. Mark Redwine told investigators he got up early the next morning and tried to wake up his son to take him to Bayfield, but Dylan wouldn’t get up. So he left for Durango to do errands. Investigators confirmed he was in Durango for three to four hours.

He said when he came home, Dylan was gone. At first, he said wasn’t too concerned, figuring he had left with a friend. That afternoon, he texted his ex-wife, asking if she had heard from their son.

She called police, setting into motion a search that later involved the Bayfield Marshal’s Office, La Plata County Sheriff’s Office, Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the FBI, search personnel from area fire agencies, and hundreds of volunteers.

This week, Hatfield said she believes her ex-husband killed her son.

“Yes, I always have from day one, when Dylan was missing,” she said. “Those who know me, who knew Mark, who knew my boys, knew that as well.”

Hatfield said it was disheartening at first when she knew foul play was involved, and police said he could have run away. She said she knew he hadn’t done that.

“If Dylan would have ran off, Dylan would still be alive.”

She insisted from the beginning he would have called her if he wanted to leave his father.
She said her son’s flight to Durango originally had been scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 17, but was cancelled and rescheduled for the next day.

She said her son hadn’t really wanted to make the visit and asked her, “Mutti, is that a sign?” using the German term for mommy.

She wishes she hadn’t put him on the airplane, but at the time, didn’t feel she really had a choice.

One year later, investigators are still trying to find the rest of Dylan Redwine’s remains, and what happened to him in his final hours.

She said she receives updates from the investigators, but she cannot share any of that information.

“I can say there will be justice for Dylan,” she said. “I want the person who is responsible for Dylan’s death to know there will be justice for Dylan.”

She said while the search is proceeding quietly, it’s still going on.

“They will not give up until this is solved,” she said.

The past year has been a mixture of highs and lows. She and Mark both appeared on Dr. Phil, trading accusations in their son’s disappearance. She became engaged to her boyfriend, Mike Hall. She is now looking forward to the birth of her first grandchild, a boy, to Cory Redwine and his girlfriend.

She said it has been hard to keep going.

“I don’t really have any choice,” she said. “I have to live for my family, I have to live for Dylan. He can’t be here doing all the things he wants to be doing. I have to keep his name and spirit out there alive - in many respects I live for Dylan.”

While she knows tomorrow’s memorial service will be difficult, she wants to invite those who knew Dylan to attend so she can thank them for supporting her and her family during the search and investigation.

“It’s a heartfelt thank you,” she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #489 on: November 15, 2013, 08:25:47 PM »

http://publ.com/KzJr5ye#1

Pine River Times
November 15, 2013

Front Page

Page 5

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #490 on: November 15, 2013, 10:02:48 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151991288258954&set=a.263519173953.139314.255354123953&type=1

Kevin Torres

Later this evening you're going to hear from Elaine Redwine. On 9NEWS at 9pm/10pm she'll talk about the death of her son, the investigation in to who murdered him and the memorial that's planned for tomorrow morning. This is an interview you won't want to miss. More tonight at 9pm/10pm on 9NEWS.
6 minutes ago

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #491 on: November 15, 2013, 10:44:10 PM »

http://www.9news.com/news/article/364703/339/Mother-of-Dylan-Redwine-I-can-still-see-his-face

Mother of Dylan Redwine: 'I can still see his face'
8:36 PM, Nov 15, 2013   |

BAYFIELD - Hundreds will gather in the tiny southwestern Colorado town of Bayfield Saturday morning to say goodbye to Dylan Redwine.

The 13-year-old disappeared from his father's home in Vallecito last November. This past summer, investigators found remains of Redwine on Middle Mountain in La Plata County.

The last twelve months have been difficult for Dylan's family as investigators continue to search for his killer.

"Sometimes I still can't believe it's been a year. I can still see his face when I dropped him off at the airport. Sometimes I forget he's really gone," Dylan's mother Elaine Redwine said. "In the beginning, I had a hard time believing Dylan may be dead. I really, really, to the bitter end had the hope that he was just missing, hid up somewhere".

Redwine said she is confident investigators will find the person who killed Dylan.

"I want to make sure that whoever did this to Dylan sees the same fear that I'm sure they saw when they took Dylan's life, the fear in his eyes. That person deserves to see fear," Redwine said.

"I've never been a vengeful or hateful person, but I've never lost a child before by the hands of a murderer. So, my perspectives on many things have changed," she added.

So much has changed over the last 12 months. Complete strangers have turned in to close friends for Redwine and her family.

"I could not have gotten through any of this without these people, who a year ago, were complete strangers to me. I do believe there's a reason people are introduced in your life. I think Dylan is just getting an Army of Warriors to protect us," she said.

While no arrest has been made, Redwine has a personal message for the person who killed her son.

"Tell us where he is. Let us find the rest of him so we can bury him correctly, so we have something to bury. Don't make Dylan go through, or us, go through this nasty process that we are probably on the verge of," Redwine said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #492 on: November 15, 2013, 10:50:39 PM »

http://www.9news.com/default.aspx

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #493 on: November 16, 2013, 08:49:51 AM »

Wish I could be there today for Dylan's memorial service, I know it will be beautiful.  To hear the memories that will be shared, to give hugs to Elaine, Cory, Mike, Crystal, Katt, and all of Dylan's maternal relatives and make sure they know that Dylan is and will always be in my heart too; and that I will continue to pray every day for strength for them and Justice for Dylan.  As hard as I know it will be for Dylan's loved ones, I hope it brings them comfort being surrounded by those who love him as they gather today to remember him. 

an angelic monkey Dylan, gone but never forgotten.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #494 on: November 16, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7XEuiCl4r8

Justice for Dylan Redwine

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/d7XEuiCl4r8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/d7XEuiCl4r8</a>

From the comments:

Tracy Neely
2 months ago

I have prayed for the truth to be known since the 1st news story. I will continue. May God bless your momma, & Cory, as He keeps you safely by His side.May the guilty one be tried to the fullest. I still feel as if someone should say it- I'm sorry. I'm sorry you had to endure such a tragic end. My heart aches thinking of the fear you must have felt, the pain inflicted upon your sweet soul. Again I pray for truth, for justice, & for peace for your mom & brother.

I'm so sorry too, Dylan.   

Justice for Dylan!   

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #495 on: November 16, 2013, 12:46:30 PM »

From Dylan's Memorial Service   an angelic monkey

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151998040678954&set=a.10151878762698954.1073741853.255354123953&type=1

Kevin Torres
48 minutes ago
People are starting to show up here in Bayfield for Dylan Redwine's memorial service. Lots of hugs and lots of tears. If you're not able to make it, feel free to leave comments below:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151998065928954&set=a.10151878762698954.1073741853.255354123953&type=1

Kevin Torres
35 minutes ago

Dylan's friends are sharing memoirs right now.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151998078463954&set=a.10151878762698954.1073741853.255354123953&type=1

Kevin Torres
29 minutes ago
Dylan's cousin is speaking now and sharing Christmas time stories.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151998087108954&set=a.10151878762698954.1073741853.255354123953&type=1

Kevin Torres
26 minutes ago
Denise is speaking now. She created the 'warriors'.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151998100903954&set=a.10151878762698954.1073741853.255354123953&type=1

Kevin Torres
21 minutes ago
"Without faith I have nothing else to look forward," Elaine said.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151998105448954&set=a.10151878762698954.1073741853.255354123953&type=1

Kevin Torres
20 minutes ago
Cory is sharing memories of his brother now.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151998118778954&set=a.10151878762698954.1073741853.255354123953&type=1

Kevin Torres
13 minutes ago
We are all watching a memorial video of Dylan now.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #496 on: November 16, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151998320763954&set=a.10151878762698954.1073741853.255354123953&type=1

Kevin Torres

At the end of the service everyone gathered at the nearby cemetery to see Dylan's new bench and to release balloons in to the sky. It was an emotional ceremony.
about an hour ago

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #497 on: November 16, 2013, 04:01:34 PM »

http://www.9news.com/news/article/364820/339/Community-says-goodbye-to-Dylan-

Community says goodbye to Dylan Redwine
1:26 PM, Nov 16, 2013 

BAYFIELD - The population of the tiny southwestern Colorado town of Bayfield nearly doubled Saturday when hundreds gathered to say goodbye to Dylan Redwine.

Redwine disappeared from his father's home in nearby Vallecito last Thanksgiving. Some of his remains were discovered on Middle Mountain in La Plata County this summer.

The memorial service was a way for the community to say goodbye to the 13-year-old. Friends and family shared stories of Dylan from when he was growing up.

9NEWS reporter Kevin Torres says there wasn't a dry eye in the church, especially when Dylan's mother Elaine thanked everyone for helping search for her son.

Police believe Dylan was murdered, but they haven't named a suspect or a person of interest.

Torres, who attended Saturday's memorial, is preparing a story on Dylan's goodbye. It will air Sunday night on 9NEWS at 10 p.m.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #498 on: November 17, 2013, 03:23:08 AM »

Video at the link

http://kdvr.com/2013/11/16/slideshow-friends-family-gather-to-remember-dylan-redwine-one-year-later/

Slideshow: Friends, family gather to remember Dylan Redwine one year later

Posted on: 4:15 pm, November 16, 2013, by Mark Meredith, updated on: 09:44pm, November 16, 2013

DURANGO, Colo. — Over 100 people including friends and family gathered in Bayfield, Colo. Saturday to remember Dylan Redwine, the 13-year-old who vanished while visiting his father over Thanksgiving break a year ago next week.

On Saturday, family and friends of Dylan Redwine gathered to dedicate a permanent memorial inside the Bayfield cemetery. The memorial bench, now on display with Dylan’s name engraved in stone, is what Dylan’s mother hopes will begin to bring closure.

“This past year has been a struggle and I have to ask why this happened to Dylan,” said Elaine Redwine on stage during Saturday’s memorial service.

Since her son’s disappearance, Elaine Redwine has remained steadfast in her belief that Mark Redwine, Dylan’s father, may be involved in the case. The La Plata County Sheriffs Office has refused to publically call Mark Redwine a suspect in Dylan’s death but have held repeated searches at Mr. Redwine’s property near Vallecito Lake.

Dylan Redwine would have turned 14 years old in February.

Also on Saturday, a candlelight vigil was held in Monument, where Dylan had recently moved to before his disappearance.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #499 on: November 17, 2013, 03:54:27 AM »

Video at the link

http://durangoherald.com/article/20131116/NEWS01/131119632/-1/taxonomy/Remembering-Dylan-

Remembering Dylan
Family, friends gather for a memorial service to honor teen

By BRANDON MATHIS
Herald Staff Writer

Article Last Updated: Saturday, November 16, 2013 8:10pm

It’s been almost one year since Dylan Redwine was reported missing. One year of his mother’s struggle to find answers. One year of investigations, searching and unanswered questions. And while his family is no closer to the truth, they have made a place to find peace.

More than 260 people gathered Saturday at Pine Valley Foursquare Church in Bayfield for a memorial service to honor Dylan, followed by a dedication and blessing of a memorial bench at the Pine River Cemetery.

In a heartfelt service led by Pastor Justin Gingerich, friends and family spoke, while television crews and other media quietly stood by.

Friend of the family Bethany Wanket played a soft, simple “Amazing Grace” on violin, almost a slow fiddle that seemed to fit the occasion and the community.

“This past year has been a struggle,” said Dylan’s mother, Elaine Hatfield, her voice filled with emotion. “I’ve struggled with the events that have taken place and what has happened to Dylan.”

She said she also struggled with hope.

“I’ve lost faith, and I’ve regained faith,” she said. “Without faith, I have nothing to look forward to, and I need that.”

Her words were met with more tears – her own and those of many others in the sanctuary.

“I’ve learned that while there is tragedy and while there is evil in this world, there is also an enormous amount of humanity and kindness left, as well,” she said. “That is indicated by all of you sitting here. You’ve touched our lives, and I know that Dylan has touched yours.”

A larger-than-life portrait of Dylan, in his baseball uniform and ready to swing, stood near the podium. His team jersey, No. 19, was encased in glass underneath a mounted baseball from his school team.

Some of Dylan’s closest friends shared their favorite memories of him.

Fernando Stubbs spoke of his humor, saying how much he misses his friend.

“He was always taking my pencil,” Stubbs said, crying. “We’d walk together down the hall, and I’d look over, see him smile, and he’d always make me laugh.”

Dylan’s older brother, Cory, spoke lovingly of his only sibling, saying that Dylan’s birth changed his life.

“I wasn’t sure how to feel that day when my mom told everybody that it was time to go to the hospital – That it was happening,” he said. “It was one of the scariest moments in my life. But when I walked into the room and I got on my tippy toes and leaned over and saw my little brother for the first time, there was no more fear.”

A close friend of the family, Denise Hess, said at times she wasn’t sure if she could continue with the immense undertaking of the search. Thousands of volunteers from near and far dedicated their time and resources to helping find Dylan, moved by a gentleness reflected in a picture of a young boy.

“There have been peaks of hope and valleys of despair,” Hess said. “I’d go to bed thinking that I couldn’t do this anymore, but there was always a little voice saying, ‘You’re so close.’

“In this past year, this 13-year-old-boy united thousands of people, in faith, hope and love,” she said. “Even in the stillness of a photograph, they could see him shining. You could always see Dylan’s heart shining. I’m going to honor Dylan by letting my heart shine a little brighter.”

What began as a local search effort on Nov. 19, 2012, grew to attract state and national attention and support.

Initially there was hope of finding the missing boy. But those hopes were dashed when searchers recovered remains near Middle Mountain Road, north of Vallecito, 10 miles from where Dylan was last seen by his father, Mark Redwine, during a court-ordered visitation. The remains, found June 27, were identified as Dylan’s, but many questions remain unanswered.

What is known is that he sent some text messages to friends in Bayfield from his father’s home, north of Vallecito, making plans to do what kids do, and the next day, he was gone.

“It’s still an open and active investigation,” said La Plata County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Dan Bender. Bender, who has been involved with the case since day one, said evidence is now being reviewed in partnership with state and federal authorities.

“We’ve met recently again with the FBI and our investigators, going over information that we’ve accumulated,” Bender said. “We are in contact with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, which has crime-related laboratories, and they are processing items that we have sent to them.”

Bender said examination of the search area is on hold for the winter, but for now they will focus on evidence they do have.

“We’ve done a search in the area where items were found earlier this summer on Middle Mountain (Road) about three weeks ago,” Bender said. “We’re trying to be as thorough as possible, after the low vegetation had died off and before heavy snow covered the area, and we are reviewing previous interviews and reports to make connection between them, and that process will continue.”

Bender said he still receives tips and added, “We follow up on each and every one of those.”

Mark Redwine could not be reached for comment.

For now, Dylan’s mother, brother, friends and family have a place to remember him. The bench, in lieu of a tombstone, reads: “Our home run in life and now our angel in the outfield.” Underneath, it is lined with handwritten messages written on stones by those close to him.

Dylan’s brother said since losing his brother, his heart has only grown.

“When you’re getting out of the car, going to school, give your mom a hug and tell her you love her,” he said, overcome by grief. “You never think it’s going to happen to you, but when it does, it’s the moment of truth. You know who is close and what matters.”

Hatfield said she knows her son is watching out for her.

“I know that he is with me,” she said. “I’ll never say goodbye.”

bmathis@durangoherald.com

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.