March 28, 2024, 03:37:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texas Equusearch's Future in Jeopardy After Thefts of Money and Equipment  (Read 2765 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: June 19, 2013, 08:19:53 AM »

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Texas-Equusearch-founder-questions-future-following-thefts-212090851.html
Texas Equusearch founder questions future following thefts
June 19, 2013

HOUSTON -- The founder and director of Texas Equusearch is questioning the organization’s future after two big thefts in one week.
Tim Miller says he’s found himself at a painful crossroad as the hits keep coming.
On Tuesday afternoon, Equusearch members were eating lunch at a Golden Corral after a search in north Houston. When they came out of restaurant, off of Gulf Freeway and Fuqua, their van and trailer were gone.
“A lot of stuff, the van, the trailer, the 4 wheelers, the equipment inside the van. I’m speechless,” said Tim Miller.
Tim Miller says the theft is a $40,000 dollar blow to the organization.
The thieves vanished without a trace and were not captured on surveillance.

Earlier this week, Miller says someone within the organization was caught stealing.
Vernon Armentor was arrested in Dickinson on Monday. Miller says he looked at Armentor as part of his family.
“My daughter who was abducted and everything, he’s Laura’s boyfriend,” said Miller. “What a discredit and shame he gave to my daughter’s name.”
The loss of his daughter back in 1984 is what has fueled Miller’s crusade to bring the missing home. Now, her former boyfriend is facing felony charges, including credit and debit card abuse.
Miller says he charged at least $4,000 to the Equusearch account without permission.

“We are financially struggling so bad right now. Some of the hits we are taking, literally I do not see Equusearch keeping their doors open. I don’t see it happening. I really don’t,” he added.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:43:29 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 07:31:02 PM »

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/22635375/2013/06/19/man-arrested-in-texas-equusearch-debit-card-theft-case
Man arrested in Texas EquuSearch debit card theft case
June 19, 2013

Dickinson police have arrested a man in the debit card theft case that resulted in more than $4,000 withdrawn from the account of Texas EquuSearch.

Vernon Armentor, 48, was charged with debit card abuse, a state jail felony. He is in custody in the Galveston County jail.

Within a one-month period, the Texas EquuSearch debit card was withdrawn from on 29 occasions.

Armentor had served as a Texas EquuSearch volunteer. His girlfriend was also a volunteer.

Texas EquuSearch founder Tim Miller has known Armentor for more than 30 years and Armentor was a friend of Miller's daughter, who was murdered during "the Killing Fields" era.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:55:24 PM »

http://texasequusearch.org/2013/05/message-from-tim-miller-texas-equusearch-needs-your-help/

Message from Tim Miller: Texas EquuSearch Needs Your Help

Posted on 23. May, 2013 by smckinney in About TES, Featured Articles, Get Involved, TES News

Dear Friends of Texas EquuSearch,

Our mission is to assist families in finding their missing loved ones but now it is Texas EquuSearch who needs your help. As a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization, we depend on the generosity of supporters like you to fund our search efforts.

We are at a critical crossroad if we are to continue our service. We are in urgent need of immediate funding for day-to-day operating expenses related to our many search missions.

Normally, our annual fundraiser covers these expenses, however, with an amazing increase in demand for our services, this past year’s fundraiser did not take place.

We ask now that you donate anything you can as every dollar makes a difference in our search for a missing loved one. There are several easy ways found here to make a tax-deductible donation.

The dedication of the volunteers you will be funding has resulted in more than 1,350 searches throughout the United States and beyond.

Our efforts have returned more than 300 missing people safely home to their families. Included in that number is Stephanie Phillips, a four-month-old who just recently was returned to her family’s arms. We have also recovered the remains of 160 missing loved ones, bringing closure to many grieving families.

I started Texas EquuSearch as a result of losing my own daughter, Laura, to abduction and murder. I know firsthand what this service means to those with missing loved ones who have nowhere to turn.

Thank you for your generosity on behalf of all of those families who desperately need our assistance. I encourage you to find out more about us by looking at our website or feel free to call me at (877) 270-9500 if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Tim Miller
Founder and Director
Texas EquuSearch

Texas EquuSearch is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization funded solely by donations from individuals and grants from organizations.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 07:17:37 PM »

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Texas-Equusearch-finds-reason-for-hope-after-4612788.php?cmpid=ns
Texas Equusearch finds reason for hope after devastating theft
June 20, 2013

Although still dazed by news of an alleged theft by a trusted friend, Texas Equusearch founder and director Tim Miller said he's starting to regain hope for the search and recovery group's future.

On Thursday, a benefactor met with Miller to donate $3,000, with a promise of $3,000 more if the group can match it.

"It was very touching and moving," Miller said of his meeting with Randy Hartley, a retired sales manager.

"I really didn't want to take his money," Miller said. "It's hard for me to do that. We don't ask anybody for anything. It's kind of embarrassing and humbling and all the other emotions that go along with it."

Asked if there was any time limit to raise the matching $3,000, Hartley said no.

"But he's going to get the $3,000 real quick, anyway," Hartley said with confidence.

Recently Miller learned that the man who was his daughter's boyfriend at the time of her disappearance, Vernon Armentor, whom Miller befriended and stayed in touch with, has been accused of misusing an Equusearch credit card.

Armentor, now 48, was arrested Monday and remained Thursday in the Galveston County Jail on a charge of credit card abuse.

Also this week, the organization suffered the theft of a volunteer's Dodge van, trailer with two all-terrain vehicles and search equipment inside the van. The total value was about $45,000, Miller said.

After getting Hartley's donation, Miller said he felt encouraged, although still saddened by the week's events.

"It's almost like a death in the family," he said. "It's a real grieving process."

Donations to Texas Equusearch can be made through the organization's website, txeq.org, or checks can be mailed to P.O. Box 395, Dickinson, TX, 77539.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 05:46:46 PM »

http://newsfixnow.com/2013/06/24/texas-equusearch-promises-they-will-not-give-up/
Texas EquuSearch promises they will not give up
June 21, 2013

“In 13 years we’ve been on over 1,300 cases,’ says Tim Miller, founder-director of Texas EquuSearch. ‘We found many, many missing people alive.”

But financial difficulties and theft of equipment and money have brought EquuSearch to the brink of collapse.

“The thing that hurt the most of course was Vernon Armentor that took all the money,’ confessed Miller, ‘because he was my daughter Laura’s boyfriend.”

Armentor, a former staff member, was arrested on charges of credit card abuse. Laura was abducted and murdered in 1984, what lead Miller to create Texas EquuSearch. But luckily, there’s still hope ahead.

“We’re getting donations in Facebook and we had a man yesterday that actually gave us a $3,000 check, and if we raise 3 more thousand dollars he’s ready to go ahead and match that.”

With well trained volunteers, all terrain vehicles and horses, Miller says EquuSearch will not give up: “We’re gonna try and live up to our promise we made to Laura and God that we will never leave a family alone if there’s anything we can do to help them”.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.