March 28, 2024, 05:35:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Homo economicus." - 'An expression of greed and contempt'  (Read 1236 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: June 30, 2013, 08:19:50 AM »

Arrogance and contempt for the state - the phone call between Irish bankers taped in 2008 has caused a furor. Business ethics expert Ulrich Thielemann shares with DW his views on why the banking world needs a rethink.

Deutsche Welle: This week, the "Irish Independent" newspaper published transcripts of a phone call from 2008, in which managers of the now-liquidated Anglo Irish Bank talked arrogantly and spitefully about financial help they were receiving. In one clip, the bank's chief executive David Drumm said, "another day, another billion," while elsewhere, his colleague sang, "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles." German Chancellor Angela Merkel condemned the remarks, and said she had nothing but contempt for the two bankers. What did you think when you heard the conversation?

Ulrich Thielemann: I asked myself where they'd been educated. What theories were instilled in them that led them to think like that? It seems like they were trained to be arrogant. They do anything for their bonus and the profits for their shareholders. They know that the taxpayers are tossing millions into this black hole, and they are the ones who will get it. They obviously feel like the "masters of the universe," and they see the rest of the population as idiots. They seem to be really happy about how well they can pull the wool over people's eyes. They're celebrating a personal success.
What do such expressions say about the attitude of these people?

It's an expression of their greed and their contempt. You have to ask: where does this greed come from? I think they simply see themselves as being at the very top of the food chain. They feel like they're able to trick others. That is the thinking of a caste of people who have been trained at business schools. The dominant academic opinion sees the human being as a "Homo economicus." It's an economic theory that views the most rational action as what is to your own advantage. Its aim is to maximize its own income and will and - if it comes to that - walk over dead bodies to achieve this. Any other action would, in this model, be irrational.
Emphasis added.

read more here - http://www.dw.de/an-expression-of-greed-and-contempt/a-16915773

Another day, another billion?  How many everyday people are so nonchalant about their bread and butter? 

Another week, another paycheck?  How many Americans keep every dollar they earn?  How many wonder how they are going to make shrinking ends meet? Week after week? 

Why don't every day people take home every dollar they earn?

Anyone think those bankers earned a billion a day?  How exactly did they earn their bread and butter?  Who ultimately provides their billions?

Wanna make another billion?  Someone else pay for things they don't want?  Force folks to buy products they don't need?  Programs that are funded and remain sound?

Let me think...Obamacare, welfare, Social Security, education...

Wanna buy votes?  Spend more money on special interests, cronyism, neoptism...pay for it by stealing more money today and from future generations.

How many billions did you get this week? 

Main Street seems to be no more than "Homo economicus."  You are to be pillaged, stolen from, destroyed economically for generations to ensure the survival of the special interests, elite, 'old' money families, and highly educated from certain families.

I think the American Dream, as founded, was to give Main Street a chance to prosper.  Today, we had de-evolved into a world of cronyism, nepotism, elitism, and special interests.

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 08:32:26 AM »

What does $1 billion dollars buy on Main Street?  In Africa?

The UN has revised treatment guidelines to allow nearly 10 million more people to receive HIV drugs. The question is where to come up with an additional $2 billion a year to fund expanded treatment.

Maybe let big banks die?  Stop flushing $1 billion a day down the 'financial system' toilet?

The epidemic has killed 25 million people in 32 years. UNAIDS reported that deaths fell to 1.7 million in 2011, down from a peak of 2.3 million in 2005 and 1.8 million in 2010. Officials have also made progress in getting more patients into treatment: 9.7 million received drugs in 2012, up from 300,000 a decade earlier, according to WHO data published on Sunday.

read more here - http://www.dw.de/un-revises-aids-guidelines-making-millions-eligible-for-treatment-sooner/a-16916127

Wow an epidemic that has killed 25 million in 32 years.

Why do I read about epidemics they want to 'cure' because they kill five people a year?  Ten?

What is wrong with this picture?

Where is prevention?  Stop having unprotected sex and sharing needles?  Use a condom and go drug free?

How did these people get aids?  I watch the TV too.  I've seen those documentaries about truck drivers and unprotected sex.  Sex with prostitutes.  Children infected from birth and left homeless, penniless...

Who pays for all this?    Where exactly is the money coming from?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.