October 21, 2020, 09:42:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dylan Redwine, 13yrs old, last seen 11/19/12, Vallecito, CO Remains found #3  (Read 315296 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #680 on: March 19, 2020, 07:11:57 AM »

A status conference is scheduled for today, I'm praying they aren't going to delay the trial again due to COVID-19.
If everything moves forward, trial is currently scheduled to start April 2nd.
Please be in prayer and/or send your good thoughts to Dylan's family!

https://www.courts.state.co.us/dockets/index.cfm#results

3/19/20
10:00 AM   1Hr   REDWINE, MARK   Status Conference   D342017CR343   La Plata County   Division 1
4/2/20
8:00 AM   1D   REDWINE, MARK   Jury Trial   D342017CR343   La Plata County   Division 1

https://youtu.be/ybmo1qaZZNM

KRQE

Colorado law passed with help of Dylan Redwine's mom, now used in high-profile cases
Mar 17, 2020

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ybmo1qaZZNM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/ybmo1qaZZNM</a>

Justice for Dylan!

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #681 on: March 19, 2020, 03:37:18 PM »

I'm so sick of that evil POS getting all the breaks!  The first trial date was 11/26/18, this is the fifth and it probably won't be the last. 
It should be over by now, I can only imagine how hard this is for Dylan's family.   
jmo

https://durangoherald.com/articles/318778-trial-for-mark-redwine-accused-of-killing-son-dylan-postponed-as-pandemic-spreads

Trial for Mark Redwine, accused of killing son, Dylan, postponed as pandemic spreads

Social distancing could be difficult for a jury, judge says

By Bret Hauff City government & crime reporter

Thursday, March 19, 2020 1:16 PM Updated 4 minutes ago

The trial of Mark Redwine, a Vallecito man accused of killing his 13-year-old son, Dylan, in 2012, has been reset to begin May 26 as the COVID-19 pandemic surges through Colorado and the rest of the country.

Prosecutors and defense attorneys each said Thursday they’re ready to begin trial, which was scheduled to start April 2, but 6th Judicial District Chief Judge Jeffery Wilson ordered the trial reset to avoid unsettling prospective jurors or facilitating the spread of the coronavirus causing COVID-19.

The court plans to summon hundreds of people as potential jurors.

“The court is concerned about public health,” Wilson said. “The community is severely concerned about COVID-19.”

The judge recognized a shelter-in-place order in San Miguel County, about an hour and a half drive from Durango, that is scheduled to continue through at least April 3.

Public defense attorney Justin Bogan, in his argument to reset Redwine’s trial, said selecting a 12-person jury with three alternates would violate state orders from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment barring gatherings of more than 10 people.

“If any one of the jurors is symptomatic, all of the jury would have to quarantine for 14 days,” Bogan said. Any problems with a jury could lead to the case ending in a mistrial almost three years after it started.

And even if the court could ensure social distancing, people summoned for jury duty may be upset about being gathered with others when public health and government officials specifically ordered against it.

Since Redwine is “one of the most loathed individuals in the community,” Bogan said jurors’ anger about being summoned to jury duty during a pandemic could be directed toward his client.

District Attorney Christian Champagne told Judge Wilson, “We’re ready to go” with the trial; Bogan said, “For us, sooner is better.” But starting the trial on May 26 could be ambitious with projections that the spread of COVID-19 could last months, Wilson said.

“I can see this date being a problem,” he said.

bhauff@durangoherald.com

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #682 on: May 02, 2020, 04:22:09 AM »

Justice for Dylan! 

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/06th_Judicial_District/La_Plata/Redwine/Order%20After%20Status%20Conference%20C-46.pdf

DISTRICT COURT, LA PLATA COUNTY, COLORADO
Court Address:
1060 EAST 2ND AVENUE, ROOM 106, DURANGO, CO, 81301-5157
THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF COLORADO
 v.
Defendant(s) MARK ALLEN REDWINE
COURT USE ONLY
Case Number: 2017CR343
Division: 1 Courtroom:
Order After Status Conference C-46

A status conference was held on April 20, 2020, after the Chief Justice of the Colorado Supreme Court ordered that juries
could not be called for any case in the State of Colorado until June 1, 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. For the reasons
stated on the record, the Court declared a mistrial pursuant to CRCrimP 24(c)(4) and reset the case for jury trial on July 8,
2020, at 8:00 AM
with a pretrial conference scheduled for June 11, 2020, at 9:00 AM
. At the status conference, no adequate
reasons were given to the Court not to start the trial on July 8, 2020. If either party can show good cause why the trial should
not commence on July 8,2020, they shall file a written motion explaining their reasons within 7 days.

Issue Date: 4/20/2020

JEFFREY RAYMOND WILSON
District Court Judge

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #683 on: May 13, 2020, 09:26:10 PM »

https://durangoherald.com/articles/324575-mark-redwines-trial-is-again-delayed-because-of-coronavirus

Mark Redwine’s trial is again delayed because of coronavirus

Judge schedules new start date for July
By Jonathan Romeo County & environment reporter
Wednesday, May 13, 2020 3:25 PM
 Follow @jonathandherald

The trial for Mark Redwine, who was arrested nearly three years ago for allegedly killing his 13-year-old son, has once again been postponed because of complications with the coronavirus pandemic.

On May 5, the Supreme Court of Colorado suspended all jury trials in Colorado, based on health guidelines to slow the spread of COVID-19, namely, by avoiding large gatherings of people.

Anticipating the order, 6th Judicial District Judge Jeffery Wilson held a conference hearing for Redwine on April 20, pushing his trial date back to July 8.

This is the second time Redwine’s trial has been delayed as a result of complications associated with the coronavirus outbreak: In March, a jury trial set for April 2 was postponed to May 26.

Redwine was arrested July 22, 2017, on suspicion of killing his 13-year-old son, Dylan, who disappeared from his father’s home in Vallecito in November 2012. Dylan’s remains were found in June 2013, 10 miles from his father’s home.

Since his arrest, Redwine’s case has been plagued with setbacks.

At first, Redwine’s defense attorneys asked for several postponements to prepare for trial, said 6th Judicial District Attorney Christian Champagne.

“We didn’t object because we wanted a fair process to make sure justice is done,” Champagne said. “We’ve been ready for trial.”

Redwine was supposed to go to trial in September, but then one of his public defenders, John Moran, was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence. The charges were ultimately dismissed, but court proceedings were further delayed.

Justin Bogan, Redwine’s other public defender, did not return a call seeking comment.

The delays have resulted in the now 58-year-old Vallecito man spending nearly three years in La Plata County Jail. He is being held on $750,000 bail.

“It’s frustrating to the prosecution, to the victims and to the defendant,” Champagne said of the delayed trial.

State court officials are working on a plan to reopen jury trials, but in a manner that will ensure the safety of jurors and all those present at court hearings.

Champagne said people may be brought in waves during jury selection or court officials may use larger buildings, such as those at the La Plata County Fairgrounds, to allow for greater social distancing.

The court has previously said it plans to summon hundreds of people as potential jurors for Redwine’s highly publicized case.

Once selected, the 12-person jury with three alternates will likely have to sit 6 feet apart, with everyone in the courtroom wearing masks.

“It’s a challenge and new territory,” Champagne said. “It’s critically important to our democracy for the criminal justice system to work, but we have to ensure ... it’s a safe process.”

Eric Hogue, 6th Judicial District court administrator, did not immediately return a call seeking comment Wednesday afternoon. Rob McCallum, spokesman for the state judicial system, also did not immediately return a request for comment.

Redwine has a pretrial conference hearing set for June 11. His trial is scheduled to begin July 8 and is scheduled to last 27 days.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #684 on: June 23, 2020, 07:42:38 PM »

My heart goes out to Dylan's family, this has got to be so hard.  Four more months of waiting for trial. 

https://durangoherald.com/articles/329280-trial-delayed-again-for-father-suspected-of-killing-dylan-redwine

Trial delayed again for father suspected of killing Dylan Redwine

State banned jury trials until Aug. 3 over coronavirus concerns
Tuesday, June 23, 2020 5:37 PM

Once again, the trial has been delayed for Mark Redwine, who was arrested nearly three years ago for allegedly killing his 13-year-old son.

Redwine was scheduled to start a 28-day trial July 8.

The Colorado Supreme Court this month, however, extended a ban on jury trials until Aug. 3 because of the novel coronavirus outbreak, necessitating another push back in Redwine’s long-awaited trial.

After a brief discussion Tuesday between prosecutors, Redwine’s defense attorneys and Judge Jeffery Wilson, who is overseeing the case, a new trial was scheduled to begin Oct. 28.

Judge Wilson said under current conditions, “it would be impossible to safely assemble a jury pool due to the public health crisis” for Redwine’s trial, which is expected to bring in an estimated 600 people to the high-profile case.

“There’s really no good time (to reset the trial) when we don’t know what’s going to happen,” Wilson said. “But my personal opinion is the longer we wait, the less likely it’ll go if we see a resurgence of the virus (in the fall).”

Wilson said there is only one courtroom in the La Plata Courthouse that can accommodate such a large jury pool while at the same time adhering to social-distancing guidelines.

He said the earliest availability for the courtroom was Aug. 31, and initially suggested starting the trial on that date.

But 6th Judicial District Attorney Christian Champagne, prosecuting the case, said his office has “major scheduling” issues over the next few months, and wouldn’t be able to start Redwine’s trial until early November.

Justin Bogan, one of Redwine’s public defenders, said he would be ready Aug. 31.

But Champagne said if a trial were set for August, his office would have to replace a special deputy district attorney assisting with the case, which would result in further delays.

“It would take a substantial amount of time for a new member of the team to catch up,” Champagne said.

All sides agreed to an Oct. 28 start date. A pre-trial conference hearing is scheduled for Oct. 8.

This is the third time Redwine’s trial has been delayed as a result of complications associated with the coronavirus outbreak. The trial has also undergone several other postponements since his arrest in 2017.

“We’ve delayed this and delayed this and delayed this, mostly to make sure Mr. Redwine has a fair trial,” Wilson said. “And then other things happened.”

Redwine was arrested July 22, 2017, on suspicion of killing his 13-year-old son, Dylan, who disappeared from his father’s home in Vallecito in November 2012. Dylan’s remains were found in June 2013, 10 miles from his father’s home.

Speaking via teleconference, Elaine Hall, Dylan’s mother, voiced frustration with the setbacks that have plagued Redwine’s case.

“I understand what’s going on with the pandemic,” she said. “But ... it’s very frustrating. And there’s nothing we can say or do about it.”

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #685 on: September 18, 2020, 11:39:22 PM »

https://durangoherald.com/articles/339586-mother-of-dylan-redwine-pushed-new-law-now-used-in-highprofile-crimes

Mother of Dylan Redwine pushed new law now used in high-profile crimes

Tampering with a deceased body went from misdemeanor to felony
Friday, Sept. 18, 2020 2:52 PM Updated 1 hour 2 minutes ago

Though the pain of losing her son will never heal, Elaine Hall said a law she helped pass, making tampering with a deceased body a felony, offers at least a little respite.

“The healing process is obviously day-by-day, and I’m not sure I’ll ever fully heal,” Hall said. “But ... seeing it used, I’m happy with that. It puts some meat behind the other charges.”

Thirteen-year-old Dylan Redwine went missing in November 2012, a day after he arrived in La Plata County to visit his father, Mark Redwine, in Vallecito, about 25 miles northeast of Durango, as part of a court-ordered visit.

Dylan’s remains were found in June 2013, about 10 miles from Mark Redwine’s home, in a mountainous, wooded area. Mark Redwine was arrested in 2017 on suspicion of second-degree murder and child abuse resulting in death.

Redwine’s trial, which has experienced numerous postponements, is scheduled to start Oct. 28.

Hall, however, started working around 2016 with another mother, Laura Saxton, whose child, Kelsie Schelling, was murdered and her body never found, to make tampering with a dead body a more severe crime. The two mothers would talk to state politicians and spoke at a Colorado legislative committee meeting in favor of making the punishment harsher.

In 2016, their efforts were successful, elevating tampering with a body from a misdemeanor to a Class 3 felony. The charge now carries a sentence of up to 12 years in prison, and is usually tacked onto more serious crimes, like murder.

“I couldn’t believe it wasn’t already a felony in Colorado,” Hall said. “To me, it was very common sense.”

Tampering with a body is usually charged when a person intentionally “destroys, mutilates, conceals, removes or alters” a human body to impair legal proceedings, according to the bill. It is often tacked on to high-profile cases.

The charge was used in the case of Chris Watts, who pleaded guilty in 2018 to killing his pregnant wife and two young daughters. Watts reportedly buried his wife in a shallow grave and put his daughters’ bodies in oil tanks.

Watts was sentenced to several life sentences, 48 years for unlawful termination of pregnancy and 12 years for three counts of tampering with a deceased body, according to Denver CBS.

In March, Letecia Stauch, who is accused of killing her 11-year-old stepson earlier this year, was also charged with tampering with a deceased body, according to KKTV 11 News.

A report in the Montrose Daily Press in January said there have been 34 charges and 12 convictions for tampering with a deceased body since it became a felony in 2016.

Sixth Judicial District Attorney Christian Champagne said it is important to make the crime a felony instead of a misdemeanor.

“When we see someone who is doing inappropriate things with the remains of our loved ones, I think it strikes many people as a very serious crime,” he said.

Champagne also said prosecutors can use the charge if there’s a lack of evidence for more serious crimes in a case.

“It’s a tool we can use when we don’t have the evidence ... and still get some accountability for someone who has hidden a body or moved someone’s remains to avoid detection,” he said.

Champagne said Redwine’s alleged crimes happened in 2012, before the tampering law became a felony, and prosecutors can only charge for crimes in place at the time of the incident. He doesn’t plan to add the charge at this time.

For Hall, she said she’s happy to have helped future victims get more justice.

“We knew our children were victims, and there was no severe penalty in Colorado for tampering with remains,” she said. “We felt it needed to be more severe.”

jromeo@durangoherald.com

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #686 on: October 03, 2020, 08:22:13 AM »

https://durangoherald.com/articles/347428-judge-rules-october-trial-for-mark-redwine-remains-a-go

Judge rules October trial for Mark Redwine remains a go

Defense attorney sought postponement
Friday, Oct. 2, 2020 4:22 PM Updated 9 hours 13 minutes ago

The trial for Mark Redwine, the Vallecito man accused of killing his 13-year-old son, Dylan, remains on track to begin later this month.

In a recent motion, Redwine’s defense attorneys requested to delay the trial until “after the COVID-19 pandemic has been resolved,” arguing the pandemic presents “unreasonable” public health risks that would prevent a fair trial.

“Defense counsel argues that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it will prevent a jury panel that represents a fair cross-section of the community,” according to court records.

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, certain people who qualify may be excused upon request from jury duty, including those who are immunocompromised, have certain illnesses or live in a nursing home.

Sixth Judicial District Judge Jeffery Wilson, however, ruled Friday the regulations in place do not violate any constitutional rights, determining Redwine will still stand trial Oct. 29.

“While the trial will certainly be longer and different than jury trials prior to the COVID-19 pandemic ... none of these minor inconveniences impinge on the defendant’s rights to due process or a fair trial,” Wilson wrote.

Wilson said court officials will continue to monitor infection rates, and hold the authority to postpone the trial should pandemic conditions require it.

Wilson added that during a previous six-day trial, jurors reported to court officials they were comfortable and appreciative of the precautions at the La Plata County Courthouse to ensure everyone’s safety.

Redwine was arrested in July 2017 on suspicion of killing Dylan in 2012. Since then, his trial has been delayed several times, including three times for reasons related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

jromeo@durangoherald.com

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #687 on: October 08, 2020, 05:19:29 PM »

Justice for Dylan! 

https://durangoherald.com/articles/348817-redwines-defense-attorneys-try-and-fail-again-to-delay-upcoming-trial

Redwine’s defense attorneys try – and fail – again to delay upcoming trial

Public defender says ‘very dangerous’ to hold trial amid pandemic
Thursday, Oct. 8, 2020 1:06 PM

Mark Redwine’s defense attorneys tried once again on Thursday to delay the Vallecito man’s upcoming trial – to no avail.

Redwine, who is accused of killing his 13-year-old son, Dylan, in 2012, is on track to start a 30-day trial on Oct. 29 after countless delays and postponements that have resulted in the 59-year-old man sitting in jail for three years.

Recently, Redwine’s defense attorneys requested to delay the trial until “after the COVID-19 pandemic has been resolved,” arguing the pandemic presents “unreasonable” public health risks that would prevent a fair trial.

Prosecutors for the 6th Judicial District Attorney’s Office have objected to any further delays and said they are ready for trial.

Sixth Judicial District Judge Jeffery Wilson, however, ultimately ruled the regulations in place do not violate any constitutional rights, determining Redwine will still stand trial Oct. 29.

At a pretrial conference hearing Thursday, John Moran, Redwine’s appointed public defender, argued again that a trial would put the health of attorneys, the jury, witnesses and the community at risk.

Many witnesses will be traveling to La Plata County from COVID-19 hot spots, Moran said, which may spread the virus throughout the community and “put all of our lives at risk.”

“It’s a very dangerous situation,” Moran said. “This is a real health risk and danger to every one of us.”

Moran also reiterated concerns that local media coverage of the Redwine case has tainted the jury pool in La Plata County. Attempts to move the trial in the past have failed, with Wilson saying it’s an issue that can be worked around.

Wilson maintained Thursday the trial will go on as planned.

“Mr. Redwine has been in jail for three years, and Dylan’s been gone longer than that,” Wilson said. “There needs to be resolution on this case.”

Wilson said neither situation is “palatable” – because of the pandemic, there is a concern about losing witnesses and evidence, but there is also concern about Redwine “rotting in jail” until the pandemic is over.

Dylan’s mother, Elaine Hall, told The Durango Herald on Thursday she is supportive of the trial going forward.

“Dylan has been gone for eight years and we have been at a standstill since then,” she said. “I am relieved that the trial will finally proceed so maybe I can put my son in his final resting place.”

The trial is set to go on as planned, though many court procedures were tweaked to take into account best health practices surrounding social distancing, limiting group sizes and wearing face coverings.

Jury selection is expected to take longer than normal, over the course of about seven days. Potential jurors will be called in waves and will be held in different rooms as the selection process goes on in the courtroom.

It’s unclear how many people will be called for jury duty.

Another aspect discussed Thursday was about Redwine’s constitutional right to see the faces of the jury, and for the jury to see Redwine’s face, complicated by the fact people are required to wear face coverings at the courthouse.

Wilson gave Redwine the option to either waive his constitutional right and wear a face covering, or instead choose a plastic shield.

Wilson said he also retains the right to postpone the trial should COVID-19 conditions worsen in the community. Opening statements are expected to begin on Nov. 9, according to court documents.

Redwine has a status conference hearing set for Oct. 16.

Dylan, who lived with his mother in Colorado Springs, went to stay with his father on a court-ordered visit on Nov. 18, 2012. Dylan was reported missing the next day.

Despite a massive search effort, Dylan was not located until 2013 when his remains were found in a mountainous area, about 10 miles from Redwine’s Vallecito home.

Redwine was arrested July 22, 2017, and has been in custody at the La Plata County Jail ever since. Countless delays, which included one of his attorneys being arrested and the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, have pushed back the trial.

-  -Justice for Dylan! 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.