March 18, 2024, 11:30:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trial of George Zimmerman in the Death of Trayvon Martin - NOT GUILTY #9 7/15/13  (Read 790529 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #360 on: August 18, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/18/trayvon-martin-sybrina-fulton-stop-and-frisk/2668935/
Trayvon Martin's mom blasts 'stop and frisk'
August 18, 2013

The mother of slain teen Trayvon Martin added her voice to the "stop and frisk" controversy Sunday, saying New York City's aggressive policy of searches in high-crime neighborhoods gives police officers the wrong "direction."

Last week a federal judge ruled that the policy was unconstitutional because it disproportionately targets blacks and Hispanics. The city is appealing Judge Shira Scheindlin's decision, arguing the policy targets high-crime neighborhoods and rejecting Scheindlin's finding that the policy is a form of "indirect racial profiling."

"You can't give people the authority, where its a civilian or police officers, the right to stop somebody just because of the color of their skin," Sybrina Fulton said on NBC's Meet the Press.

Scheindlin's ruling could have an impact on stop-and-frisk efforts in other cities. New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, speaking on NBC's This Week, warned that the ruling risked reversing the downward trend of violent crime in his city.

"What we're doing – and what we're trying to do — is save lives," Kelly said. "Things are going right here in New York. And this decision certainly has the potential of overturning it."

The class-action lawsuit that resulted in the decision was the largest and most broad legal action against the policy the city has seen. While stop and frisk has been established as a constitutional tactic, Scheindlin found that the plaintiffs had "readily established that the NYPD implements its policies regarding stop and frisk in a manner that intentionally discriminates based on race."

There have been about 5 million stops during the past decade, mostly black and Hispanic men. The judge said she found at least 200,000 stops were made without reasonable suspicion.

Benjamin Jealous, president of the NAACP, said on Meet the Press that the practice in New York was racial profiling, no matter what city officials call it. He said the policy was not responsible for the decline in crime, adding that the practice was "driving a wedge" between police and the black community.

"There are now more stop and frisks of young black men in New York City than there are young black men in New York City," Jealous said.

Kelly stressed that no one is stopped without a reason.

"Nobody wants to be stopped," Kelly said. "We have engaged in a major training evolution for several years, focusing on these issues, to do these stops with courtesy, do them with respect."

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #361 on: August 18, 2013, 07:08:25 PM »

If Sybrina put as much effort into raising her kid as she does keeping her money grab foundation in the news maybe Trayvon would be at home getting ready for school to start.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #362 on: August 18, 2013, 07:24:20 PM »

If Sybrina put as much effort into raising her kid as she does keeping her money grab foundation in the news maybe Trayvon would be at home getting ready for school to start.

I feel bad for any parent that loses a child. With that said. If TM parents had put in as much time as they have selling their woes to every body about TM. You are right maybe he would be around to be getting ready for school. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #363 on: August 18, 2013, 07:57:15 PM »

If I am profiled because a blonde woman about 5'4 weighing about 126 lbs is known to be a shoplifter or drug dealer or kidnapper in the area where I am at, then stop me. See that I am not the person you are looking for and off I go. I don't have a problem with it because I think that it could cut down on crime.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #364 on: August 18, 2013, 08:25:46 PM »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/os-mark-nejame-on-tv-20130817,0,3793105.story
Q&A: How Mark NeJame balances family, law, TV shows
August 17, 2013

What are the lasting lessons of the Zimmerman trial?

It tells us we have a lot further to go considering race relations in the United States. It also tells us the truth be damned when people form opinions. So many people on the polar extremes of that case, they did not care what the facts were. They were locked into their positions and their opinions, and they were not going to let the facts or truth on either side get in the way of their opinions. There's no question in my mind that the prosecution in that case was very politically motivated.

How was it politically motivated?
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #365 on: August 19, 2013, 09:02:10 AM »

Sabrina Fulton, Mother of Trayvon Martin, Says Stop and Frisk Is Racial-Profiling … The Exploitation of Trayvon Martin’s Death Continues

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2013/08/19/sabrina-fulton-mother-of-trayvon-martin-says-stop-and-frisk-is-racial-profiling-the-exploitation-of-travon-martins-death-continues/

NYC … soon to be the new Chicago.

Are you kidding me, first Trayvon’s mother is against stand your ground laws and now stop and frisk? Neither of which had anything to do with her son’s death. What is the point of her honoring her son’s death other than calling everything racist?

Sabrina Fulton, the mother of Trayvon Martin, goes on NBC’s ‘Meet the Press’ and states stop and frisk is racial profiling. Even though ‘stop and frisk’ laws have made NYC a safer place and actually prevented crime, these misguided individuals just want to call everything racially profiling. Flanked by NAACP’s Ben Jealous and Fulton’s attorney Benjamin Crump, this poor woman does not even realize she and the memory of her dead son are being exploited by race-baiters. How sad, or worse … she does. Sorry, but to end a police progam that actually works and actually saves the lives of individuals, including blacks, is just irresponsible. These race baiters have been looking for their “racial profile” campaign and they have found it by exploiting the death of Trayvon Martin. I can empathize with Sabrina Fulton’s loss, no parent should ever have to bury their child. But that certainly does not give you the right to back ignorant and foolish positions without question or criticism. Of course any one who disagrees will be branded a racist.

The wider point, Sabrina Fulton, i welcome you to the program. Just your reaction as a mother who’s lost her son so tragically and as now someone who’s trying to create something positive out of that searing loss by talking about stand your ground laws. You’ve heard the commissioner of new york say, look, what happened to Trayvon Martin, even though it was referenced in the judge’s ruling, is quite different. that was civilian on civilian. This is about civilians interacting with the police department. do you see that distinction or not?

I think it’s all about laws, and I think you have to give not only civilians, but you have to give the police officers the right direction. You can’t give people the authority, police officers the right to stop somebody because of the color of their skin.

Check out the videos and transcripts ...
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #366 on: August 19, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/18/trayvon-martin-sybrina-fulton-stop-and-frisk/2668935/
August 18, 2013

The mother of slain teen Trayvon Martin added her voice to the "stop and frisk" controversy Sunday, saying New York City's aggressive policy of searches in high-crime neighborhoods gives police officers the wrong "direction."

Last week a federal judge ruled that the policy was unconstitutional because it disproportionately targets blacks and Hispanics. The city is appealing Judge Shira Scheindlin's decision, arguing the policy targets high-crime neighborhoods and rejecting Scheindlin's finding that the policy is a form of "indirect racial profiling."
(snipped more of article than previous)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/19/gunrunners-ny-smuggled-on-buses/2671421/
NYC announces largest gun bust in city history
August 19, 2013

An undercover operation in New York has resulted in the largest seizure of illegal firearms in city history -- and has provided more ammunition in the city's defense of its controversial stop-and-frisk policy, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Monday.

Police seized 254 illegal guns and indicted 19 people, Bloomberg said. The weapons included high-capacity assault weapons, a fully automatic machine gun and handguns, "which are most typically the models of guns used to commit violent crimes" in the city, Bloomberg said.

Bloomberg said court-authorized wiretaps helped investigators identifiy the gun sellers in North and South Carolina attempting to supply guns for the purpose of reselling the weapons in New York City.

Bloomberg also provided a transcript of a comment attributed to suspect Campbell in a wiretap that indicated the city's controversial "stop and frisk" policy made selling weapons in the city more difficult: "I can't leave until you come, cause I can't take them (guns) to my house, to my side of town cause I'm in Brownsville (a section of Brooklyn). So we got like, whatchamacallit, stop and frisk."

Last week a federal judge ruled that the city's policy was unconstitutional because it disproportionately targets blacks and Hispanics. The city is appealing Judge Shira Scheindlin's decision, arguing the policy targets high-crime neighborhoods and rejecting Scheindlin's finding that the policy is a form of "indirect racial profiling."

More than half of the weapons seized were funneled to the city from North Carolina, with the remainder brought into New York City from South Carolina, Bloomberg said. Both states have relatively weak laws that allow criminals and traffickers to easily obtain guns, he said.

One of the discount bus companies charges $60 one-way from Raleigh, N.C., to New York. The fare is about half that charged by Greyhound, which, unlike the Chinatown buses, requires identification for boarding.

labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #367 on: August 20, 2013, 07:40:37 AM »

August 18, 2013

"You can't give people the authority, where its a civilian or police officers, the right to stop somebody just because of the color of their skin," Sybrina Fulton said on NBC's Meet the Press.

Scheindlin's ruling could have an impact on stop-and-frisk efforts in other cities. New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, speaking on NBC's This Week, warned that the ruling risked reversing the downward trend of violent crime in his city.

"What we're doing – and what we're trying to do — is save lives," Kelly said. "Things are going right here in New York. And this decision certainly has the potential of overturning it."

The class-action lawsuit that resulted in the decision was the largest and most broad legal action against the policy the city has seen. While stop and frisk has been established as a constitutional tactic, Scheindlin found that the plaintiffs had "readily established that the NYPD implements its policies regarding stop and frisk in a manner that intentionally discriminates based on race."

There have been about 5 million stops during the past decade, mostly black and Hispanic men. The judge said she found at least 200,000 stops were made without reasonable suspicion.

Benjamin Jealous, president of the NAACP, said on Meet the Press that the practice in New York was racial profiling, no matter what city officials call it. He said the policy was not responsible for the decline in crime, adding that the practice was "driving a wedge" between police and the black community.

"There are now more stop and frisks of young black men in New York City than there are young black men in New York City," Jealous said.

Kelly stressed that no one is stopped without a reason.

"Nobody wants to be stopped," Kelly said. "We have engaged in a major training evolution for several years, focusing on these issues, to do these stops with courtesy, do them with respect."

I feel she wants her name and his name in the history books...she wants his name associated with civil rights. It never should have been. She is plugging it in though. His name will be in the black community because that is what they want to see. I have a perfect example...an outstanding officer in our community (not white---important to some)...stopped a group of teenage boys (pretty much men...17)... that were hanging around a park around 1030 pm one night...his tuition told him he should...he asked them to line up and let him check their pockets....or something like that (I may not be saying it exactly right)...anyhow...the first two complied...before he got to the last he was shot and killed. He had a good reason to stop and check these boys out...they were black, yes...but he stopped because of their behavior...their demeanor...their presentation...and so on...please quit playing the freaking victim and grow up. If this is being abused then sure go after it...but it isn't here and it needs to be done more...cops are afraid to...afraid they will be sued.  In my opinion...he will be in the history books to split the races more than bring them together...ridiculous.  She is doing way more harm than good for humanity. MOO.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #368 on: August 20, 2013, 10:35:59 AM »

I can't stand the parents. Sorry, but that is how I feel.
I would have more respect or Sabrina if she would speak out about the horrible shooting death against Christopher Lane by 3 black youths, just for  sport of it. Hate crime. She is a race baiter just like Al and Jessie in my opinion. If she really wanted to be seen as an activist and someone who wanted to improve race relations, she should speak out to stop all killings regardless of race.

alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #369 on: August 20, 2013, 03:44:15 PM »

I am sure what Sybrina wants but Trayvons name should never be in the same sentence with these people.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #370 on: August 21, 2013, 01:19:01 PM »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-trayvon-stand-your-ground-video-omara-responds-20130821,0,6261751.story
O'Mara calls stand your ground PSA 'dramatic fantasy'
August 21, 2013

Mark O'Mara, George Zimmerman's lawyer, called the new public service announcement about "stand your ground" laws a "dramatic fantasy of what really happened that night," on CNN's OutFront Tuesday night.

The video opposing "stand your ground" laws features a re-enactment of the killing of Trayvon Martin and ends with dozens of young men wearing hoodies lying on the ground.

"I think they are hurting their own cause by doing something that doesn't base itself on facts," O'Mara said.
The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence uses real 911 recordings made by Zimmerman and his neighbors the night Zimmerman shot Trayvon, an unarmed 17-year-old black youth from South Florida.

The words, "Our laws should protect victims. Not create more. Stand up to stand your ground laws in 26 states," appear on the screen in the video, released Monday.

Zimmerman was charged with second-degree murder and found not-guilty in July.

O'Mara also said Zimmerman is worried for his safety because of possible blow back from the video.

Video at Link

alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #371 on: August 21, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »

Maybe Martin was bored.
iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #372 on: August 21, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »

Can this woman just stop now:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-trayvon-martins-mom-releases-song-20130821,0,6258989.story

alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #373 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:07 PM »

Can't comment

http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/21/black-teen-who-murdered-australian-jogger-posted-racist-tweets/
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #374 on: August 21, 2013, 11:27:41 PM »

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2013/8/21/hearing_today_in_she.html

Hearing deferred in Shellie Zimmerman's perjury case
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 8:40 AM

SANFORD --
Attorneys for George Zimmerman's wife, Shellie Zimmerman, have deferred a hearing that was supposed to take place Wednesday. Instead, a status conference on her upcoming trial will be held next week.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #375 on: August 22, 2013, 08:33:13 AM »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-george-zimmerman-trial-costs-20130821,0,6508617.story
George Zimmerman trial cost public $902,000
The high-profile murder trial ended with an acquittal
August 22, 2013

SANFORD — The five-week trial of Neighborhood Watch volunteer George Zimmerman — which ended in his acquittal in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin — cost the public at least $902,000.

The biggest outlay came from the Seminole County Sheriff's Office, which spent $425,000 providing security, planning and logistics during the trial.

No. 2 was the city of Sanford, which spent an enormous sum on police overtime, a decision that pushed spending to about $183,000.

Security is one of the reasons the trial was so expensive. The decision by Sanford police to not arrest Zimmerman in the days following the shooting set off weeks of demonstrations. Fearing more, local law enforcement spent an enormous amount of time preparing for and guarding against violence.

Also, Zimmerman had received death threats. As a consequence, dozens of extra officers were at the courthouse. They stopped every vehicle pulling into the parking lot if they did not recognize the driver.

Juror costs also were unusually high. Circuit Judge Debra S. Nelson ordered the panel sequestered, meaning jurors were forced to live in a hotel, isolated from their families and media reports. Their care and feeding during the 22 days of sequestration cost $34,600, paid for by Clerk of Courts Maryanne Morse.

By comparison, the cost of housing and feeding the sequestered jury in the Casey Anthony child-murder case in Orlando two years ago was five times that — topping $186,000. But that trial lasted six weeks, and the panel was made up of 12 jurors and four alternates.

The Zimmerman trial totals are based, in part, on estimates and do not include the cost of the criminal investigation or any pretrial costs.

For example, Special Prosecutor Angela Corey did not provide any information about her costs. All of her nonsalary expenses must be paid by the Seminole-Brevard State Attorney's Office. It provided an $80,000 advance to her Jacksonville-based office in mid-June but has not received an account of how those funds were spent.

The trial costs also do not include what Zimmerman and his lawyers spent, only what was spent by public agencies that dedicated personnel and resources to the trial.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #376 on: August 22, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »

Waiting for Obama to speak out.
The murdered kid was from another country and yet our President has remained silent.

alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #377 on: August 22, 2013, 03:41:20 PM »

Waiting for Obama to speak out.
The murdered kid was from another country and yet our President has remained silent.
If Obama had a son..
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #378 on: August 26, 2013, 11:02:17 AM »

August 26, 2013 Tweets
https://twitter.com/FLCourts18

Mark Van Bever ‏@FLcourts18 53m
State v. Shellie Zimmerman: status hearing is scheduled for 8/28 at 9 a.m. in Courtroom 5-C in Sanford, FL.

Michelle Kennedy ‏@PIOFLCourts18 13 Aug
State vs Zimmerman: New filings posted at http://www.flcourts18.org
 Retweeted by Mark Van Bever

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #379 on: August 26, 2013, 11:48:23 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/26/george-zimmerman-legal-fees-florida/2704499/
Lawyer: Zimmerman to ask Fla. to cover some legal costs
August 26, 2013

George Zimmerman, acquitted in Trayvon Martin's death, wants to recoup some legal costs.

George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer found not guilty in the February 2012 shooting death of unarmed black teen Trayvon Martin, will ask the state of Florida to cover some of his legal fees, a lawyer's spokesman says.

Mark O'Mara, Zimmerman's lawyer, plans to file a motion to recoup between $200,000 and $300,000 in legal fees from the state of Florida, Shawn Vincent, a spokesman for Zimmerman's legal team, said Monday evening.

"That is a ballpark estimate," Vincent said. "It will be a few weeks before everything is all together and we're in a position to file that motion."

A Florida statute allows defendants who win their cases to file such motions, Vincent said. More than a month after Zimmerman was acquitted, his attorneys have now had the time to begin preparing their motion.

"It's a pretty standard motion for a case that the defense won," Vincent said.

The motion to recoup legal costs would be based on a Florida statute that declares that a defendant who has been acquitted is not liable for costs associated with his or her case and that anything paid would be returned, if approved by a judge or clerk, via the state's Judicial Administrative Commission, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

The money Zimmerman's teams hopes to recoup includes only legal expenses such as hiring courtroom experts, court reporter fees for witness depositions and some travel expenses.

No Florida law allows attorneys to recover their fees from the state, Vincent said.

In O'Mara's case, the fee would have been more than $1 million. He bills $400 an hour and worked 40 hours a week for 16 months on Zimmerman's case, Vincent said. Don West, a co-counsel on the case, bills $350 an hour.

"I believe to this day, they (O'Mara and West) have not been paid for any of their legal fees," Vincent said.

The Sentinel reported O'Mara has been paid nothing by Zimmerman.

The lawyer told the news organization that he will submit the costs to a judge for certification, but he anticipates that the Judicial Administrative Commission will challenge many of the expenses.

It remains to be seen how Zimmerman's legal fund defense, which collected several thousands of dollars for his defense, will work now that some of those fees will be paid by the state. It's also unclear whether Zimmerman's attorneys will be paid for their time in the future.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.