April 18, 2024, 12:19:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hikers are rescued, then drive to their deaths - 7/24/13 Maine  (Read 3020 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: July 25, 2013, 03:53:14 AM »

Two lost hikers who had just been rescued during a driving rainstorm in a Maine state park died after they took a wrong turn and drove their van into the Atlantic Ocean, authorities said Wednesday.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/25/19667078-hikers-are-rescued-then-drive-to-their-deaths-in-atlantic-ocean-off-maine?lite

The women — identified as Amy Stiner of Machias, Maine, who was five months pregnant, and Melissa Moyer of Sunbury, Pa. — were found dead in the back of the van about 175 feet from shore in Pond Cove near Roque Bluffs State Park on Tuesday night, the Washington County Sheriff's Department said.

Their dog was also dead, the sheriff's department said.

According to the sheriff's report, the women got lost while hiking in the park about 9 p.m. ET in heavy wind and rain. A member of a local search rescue service found the women and their dog, and state wildlife wardens drove them back to their van.
   more at the link

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 08:50:11 AM »

2 women, one pregnant, dead after car drives off boat ramp

Last modified July 24, 2013, at 6:07 p.m.

ROQUE BLUFFS, Maine — Two women, one five months pregnant, apparently drowned Tuesday night after the car they were traveling in went off a boat ramp and into the ocean in a shroud of fog, police say.

The victims were identified as Amy Stiner, 37, of Machias and Melissa Moyer, 38, of Sunbury, Pa. Stiner, who was pregnant, made a desperate 911 phone call to police to report that her van was in the water.

Authorities recovered the 2001 Dodge Caravan minivan, submerged about 175 feet off the Roque Bluffs boat ramp. The bodies of the two women were inside.

It appears that Stiner, who was driving the minivan, became disoriented in the fog and rain when she drove down Schoppee Point Road, onto the boat ramp and into the water about 9 p.m., according to Washington County Sheriff Donnie Smith. The road leads directly to the boat ramp and into the water.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/07/24/news/down-east/2-women-found-dead-in-submerged-car-down-east/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.