April 16, 2024, 02:29:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "...democracy is merely a facade."  (Read 1262 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 31, 2013, 09:05:36 PM »

"Polish Dissident Adam Michnik: 'We Are Bastards of Communism'"

Michnik: We still have politicians who strive for a different type of country: Kaczynski as well as Orbán in Hungary. They want a gradual coup. If Orbán stayed in power in Hungary or if Kaczynski were to win an election in our country, it would be dangerous. Both men have an authoritarian idea of government; democracy is merely a façade.

SPIEGEL: Orbán says that a "centralist majority democracy" is needed so that clear decisions can be made, by decree, if necessary. Otherwise, he says, dangers like the economic crisis cannot be averted.

Michnik: Hitler said the same thing when he issued special decrees and emergency regulations. It's the road to hell. To be honest, Hungary is the country where I would have least expected this to happen, but it was the first to cut a hole into the Iron Curtain. In Romania and Bulgaria, perhaps, but not in Hungary. What is happening there now stems from a disappointment in the Social Democrats, who were in power before and drove the country into economic ruin. Fortunately, Poland quickly implemented the most important reforms needed to make the transition to a market economy at the beginning of the 1990s. It was different in Hungary. That's why the population is now disappointed and is calling everything into question, even the things it once dreamed of achieving.

Michnik: British historian Norman Davies called this form of democracy a "government of cannibals." Democratic elections are held, but then the victorious party devours the losers. The gradual coup consists in getting rid of or taking over democratic institutions. These people believe that they are the only ones in possession of the truth. At some point, parties no longer mean anything, and the system is based, once again, on a monologue of power. The democratic institutions in the West are more deeply embedded in the West than in Eastern Europe. Democracy can defend itself there. Everything is still fragile in our countries, even two decades after the end of communism.

read more here - http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/polish-dissident-adam-michnik-on-eastern-europe-after-communism-a-913912.html

US = One part with two factions...

Anyone hear that economic crisis averted monologue?  One emergency after another?

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »

There are also growing doubts about Rajoy's abilities as a crisis manager. A corruption scandal surrounding Luis Bárcenas, the former treasurer of the governing People's Party party, is a reminder to Spaniards of how a group of political and economic elites has taken the country to the brink of ruin. Bárcenas has admitted to maintaining a network of illicit accounts filled with money from various individuals, including developers, who made substantial donations to the party and its officials in return for lucrative contracts.

It was this climate that allowed real estate prices to become more and more inflated. But now the past is also catching up to Rajoy. "Chin up!" and "Stay strong!" he allegedly wrote in text messages to the man in charge of the illicit accounts, even long after Bárcenas' intrigues had been exposed. Political commentators in Madrid are beginning to question the strength of Rajoy, who is scheduled to appear before parliament this week to face questions over the corruption scandal.

read more here - http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/doubt-grows-in-reforms-of-rajoy-government-in-spain-a-913866.html

Any hope Obama will bring real reform?  Hmmm...lowering taxes for global corporations...

What about the forgotten men and women?  The small business owner?  Anyone lowering their taxes?  I don't think so.

Corruption scandals? 

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.