March 28, 2024, 05:15:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nurse Genene Jones Suspected of Killing Up to 46 Kids Set to Leave Prison  (Read 21641 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: August 13, 2013, 04:04:16 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/nurse-suspected-killing-46-kids-prison/story?id=19852141&google_editors_picks=true
Nurse Suspected of Killing Up to 46 Kids Set to Leave Prison
August 13, 2013

(3 pgs)
A nurse convicted in 1984 of killing an infant and suspected of murdering dozens more will be released from prison without completing her 99 year sentence because of an expired Texas law that grants a "mandatory release" to inmates with good behavior.

On May 14, 1984 Genene Anne Jones, now 63, was sentenced for the murder of 15-month-old Chelsea McClellan in 1982 in a small-town pediatric clinic where Jones was a nurse.

"I was holding Chelsea, she was facing me, and Jones gave her the first shot in her left thigh. Immediately Chelsea had trouble breathing. Chelsea was trying to say my name, but she couldn't. I was extremely upset," Petti McClellan, the victim's mother, told ABC News.

Jones began injecting the child with a lethal dose of the muscle relaxant succinylcholine while the baby was still in her mother's arms, according to McClellan and court records.

Jones was also convicted of injuring a child in another attack in which the child survived. She was sentenced to 60 years on that conviction, but it was ordered to be served concurrently with the 99 year sentence.

Ron Sutton, the criminal prosecutor who won the murder conviction, estimates that Jones is responsible for the deaths of between 11 and 46 infants in Bexar County from 1978 and 1982.

"I was present when all the investigators were adding up the numbers and, 11 to 46... I can confirm that that's what it was," Sutton told ABC News.

Jones will be released because of a Texas law called Mandatory Supervision. Enacted in 1977, the law allowed all convicted criminals to be automatically released on parole after they complete a certain amount of calendar time and good conduct time, which includes participating in work and self-improvement programs, according to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice parole and mandatory release guide.

Mandatory Supervision was amended in 1987 to exclude violent criminals. But any violent criminal convicted in Texas before 1987 is still eligible for early release, according to the guide.

"Genene Jones has been eligible for parole since 1989, and every three years since 1989 her case has been renewed and parole been denied," Harry Batson, a public information officer for the Texas Board of Pardons and Parole, told ABC News.

"But mandatory release has nothing to do with parole," Batson said. "Even though she has been continually denied parole, that has no bearing on her release."

"During Jones' earlier parole hearings there was always a great deal of public outcry, people being upset that she could get out. But people forget. This happened so long ago, not that many people are aware, or care," Sutton said.

There is only one way to ensure that Jones stays in prison, authorities said.

"We need to find another case, another victim, whose death we can charge her with sufficient evidence," Andy Kahan said.

Kahan, as well as Sutton and some of Jones' former co-workers, suspect that she is responsible for the deaths of between 11 and 46 other infants who were patients at Bexar County Hospital between 1978 and 1982.

More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »

This murderer should never, ever be outside prison walls.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »

This murderer should never, ever be outside prison walls.   

for real Muffy, for real!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 12:11:13 AM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/judge-knew-baby-murderer-released-early/story?id=19959838
Judge Knew Baby Murderer Would Be Released Early
August 14, 2013

The judge who presided over the trial of killer nurse Genene Jones knew the convicted baby murderer would be released early despite the 99-year sentence imposed by the jury.

John Carter, who is now a U.S. congressman, also said today that he believes that Jones should not be released from prison.

Jones, 63, was a nurse who was convicted in 1984 of killing 15-month-old Chelsea McClellan with a powerful dose of muscle relaxant. She was sentenced to 99 years. She was convicted in a second trial of injuring a second toddler who survived the injections and sentenced to 60 years to be served concurrently.

She was also suspected by the man who prosecuted her of having killed between 11 and 45 other children from 1978 to 1982. She was never tried for the deaths, however.

Because of mandatory release laws that were in effect at the time of her conviction, Jones will be let out of prison in 2018 after serving about one-third of her time.

"I was aware that she would be released early," Carter told ABC News today. "But the jury that sentenced her was not aware. We could not tell the jury. That's just what the law is."

"The jury was not happy about it when they found out," he said.

Carter, a Republican who is now the chairman of the Homeland Security Subcommittee on Appropriations in the House, presided over the six-week trial. He recalls that during the trial the mothers of her other alleged victims demonstrated outside the courthouse for Jones to be tried as a serial killer.

"I don't know why the other cases didn't go to court," the former judge said.

"The trial was a circus," Carter recalled. "Genene Jones caused so many disturbances. We had a situation where she thought a reporter in a window was trying to shoot her. Her lawyers could not control her."

"She definitely enjoyed the limelight," he said.

Carter does not believe that Jones should be released.

"I just think that because of the nature and circumstances of the crime, she should have to serve the full 99 years," he said.

But he said there is little that can be done to prevent her release, but believes that it is possible for another one of Jones' alleged victims to come forward so that she could be prosecuted for a second murder.

"The question is if they have enough evidence to successfully prosecute Jones with a new murder charge," he said.

Carter noted that the hospital's records have since been destroyed.

Video at the link.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 07:52:52 PM »

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Serial-baby-killer-set-to-go-free-from-Texas-prison-270155431.html
Serial baby killer set to go free from Texas prison
August 6, 2014

Stranger still is what might happen next in the bizarre case of Genene Jones.
Her case is scheduled for a routine parole hearing in Angleton on Wednesday. Crime victim advocates believe her request for parole will be rejected and officials will order her to remain in prison.
But maybe not much longer.
As improbable as it seems, a homicidal nurse believed responsible for killing dozens of babies is scheduled for release from the Texas prison system where she was sentenced to serve 99 years.
Now prosecutors, victimized families and anti-crime activists are working on a strategy to keep one of the most notorious serial killers in Texas history behind bars.
"This is an individual who should never be out of prison," said Susan Reed, the district attorney of Bexar County, who has launched a cold case effort to find evidence that might convict Jones of another crime.
Three decades have passed since Jones was sentenced to 99 years for murdering a 15-month-old girl. She was later convicted in another attempted homicide and sentenced to a concurrent 60-year term.
Prosecutors believe she may have been responsible for the deaths of more than 40 infants at hospitals where she worked in Kerrville and San Antonio.

The horrifying case has been the subject of lurid true crime books and at least two movies. Stephen King fans find similarities between Jones and Annie Wilkes, the fictional killer nurse actress Kathy Bates won an Oscar for portraying in the film version of "Misery."
But under mandatory release laws designed to relieve prison overcrowding in the 1980s, even the most violent and dangerous criminals were credited with three days in prison for every day of good behavior behind bars.
The law has long since been revised, but it still applies to criminals convicted during that era. As a result, Jones is scheduled for release in 2017.
"She's probably going to be the first serial killer in this country's history to be legally released," said Andy Kahan, a City of Houston crime victim advocate.
So prosecutors are adopting a strategy similar to the effort that kept in prison Coral Watts, another convicted serial killer, despite his conviction under the old Texas law. Watts confessed to killing 13 women, most of them in the Houston area, during the early 1980s. He was sentenced to 60 years, but under the mandatory release rules he was scheduled to go free in 2006.
Authorities in Michigan, where Watts admitted murdering a number of other women in exchange for a plea bargain, launched an effort to review old cases and convict him in another murder. As a result of publicity surrounding his impending release, an eyewitness to a 1974 murder recognized Watts and offered testimony that kept the serial killer behind bars until his death in 2007.
"So we're doing the same campaign we did with serial killer Coral Eugene Watts," Kahan said. "We're putting Jones back on the map four years basically before she's scheduled to be released and hoping there's one case out there."
There's no statute of limitations on murder, but winning a conviction on such a cold case is a long shot. Still, it may be prosecutors' only shot at keeping one of the most notorious serial killers in Texas history off the streets.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »

I hope this serial baby killer stays in prison the rest of her life.  I believe when she was sentenced to 99 years, that was the intention.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 07:58:13 PM »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/families-of-murdered-children-to-speak-on-angel-of-death-parole/27330316
Parole board considers baby killer's release
August 6, 2014

HOUSTON -
Members of the Texas Board of Pardons are considering whether former pediatric nurse Genene Jones should be released from prison.

During a parole review hearing in Angleton on Wednesday, Victim's Rights Advocate Andy Kahan testified against Jones' release.

"This is probably one of the most cold-blooded, diabolical, heinous serial killers ever to live on the face of the earth," said Kahan.

Jones was convicted in 1984 of killing 15-month-old Chelsea McLellan by giving her an overdose of muscle relaxants. Jones was sentenced to 99 years in prison.

McLellan's mother, Petti McLellan-Wiese, also spoke to the parole board Wednesday via phone.

Jones is also a suspect in the deaths of more than 40 infants during her time as a pediatric nurse in San Antonio and Kerrville. However, court records show that since so much of the evidence in those cases was destroyed during the late 70s and early 80s by the now-shuttered hospital Jones worked for, she was only convicted of one murder.

Kahan said he is confident Jones will be denied release, but adds it will only be a temporary denial of her freedom.

"By statute and by the law in the state of Texas she must be legally released late 2017 or early 2018 depending on her behavior," said Kahan.

Jones was sentenced under an old Texas law meant to alleviate prison overcrowding. That law, which was repealed by the Texas legislature, allowed violent offenders like Jones to accrue so-called "good time."

This means for every day a prisoner showed good behavior behind bars they were allowed to knock a day off the end of the time they are required to remain in prison before the state is required to grant them parole.

Since Local 2 Investigates began reporting on this issue nearly two years ago, Bexar County District Attorney Susan Reed announced she was re-opening the old cases against Jones. Reed said she is hoping enough evidence can be found to prosecute Jones on at least one other case and keep her in prison.

Even though the state has to release Jones in 2018, Texas law requires that she be granted a parole review every one to three years. As for her current parole review, the board will make a decision by next week.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 08:00:52 PM »

http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-local-news-sponsored-by-five-star-cleaners-119078/angel-of-death-genene-jones-facing-parole-hearing-12643155/
"Angel of Death' Genene Jones Facing Parole Hearing
August 6, 2014

Jones, 64, was a practicing nurse in the old Bexar County Medical Center, and at pediatric clinics in San Antonio and the Hill Country.  During the late 1970s and early 1980s, she is suspected of murdering as many as 60 babies and young children, generally by injecting them with an overdose of muscle relaxing drugs.  She is referred to as 'The Angel of Death,' and is believed to be the model for the evil character of Anne Wilkes in the Stephen King thriller 'Misery.'

"We presented the Texas Ranger who handled the investigation," Reed said.  "He said she was one of the worst killers and criminals he had ever seen."

Jones is arguing for 'compassionate parole,' claiming that she is ill with a kidney disease.

But what Reed is most worried about is the fact that, under a 1983 state law that was in place when Jones was convicted, she is up for mandatory release in four years.  Prison overcrowding was a major problem in Texas at the time, and lawmakers mandated that after felons had served a certain amount of their sentence, they had to be released to free up space for other convicts.

Reed says she is looking at the possibility of trying Jones for one of the many murders she is suspected of committed in Bexar County.  There is no statute of limitations on murder, and an additional conviction would not carry the early release stipulation.  A reduction in crime and an increase in the number of prison beds in the last thirty years has changed that situation.

"The issue becomes whether the individuals who we would absolutely need are still alive, if we could get evidence," she said.

Reed said that she has also looking into the possibility of exhuming the bodies of some of Jones' alleged Bexar County victims, to see if they could still be tested for residue of a drug overdose.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 08:08:13 AM »

"Compassionate parole" . . . give me a break!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 08:04:03 PM »

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/29095382/woman-convicted-in-nurse-baby-killer-cases-to-be-released-from-prison
Woman convicted in 'nurse baby killer' cases to be released from prison
May 18, 2015

Life in prison should mean exactly that, but for the families of the victims of a former nurse convicted in the killing of babies, life will only amount to 33 years.
Genene Jones, 64, was sentenced to life in prison in May of 1984 on a murder charge. At that time, prisons were overcrowded. She was also sentenced in a separate case of injury to a child in October of that same year.

Mandatory release laws will allow Jones to be set free in February 2018.

"Unless we find another case, the nurse baby killer Genene Jones will be one of the first serial killers in this country certainly in Texas ever to be legally released," says crime victim's advocate Andy Kahan.

Prosecutors say Jones killed at least 40 babies in Bexar County and 6 in Kerr County between 1977 and 1982.

Jones was eligible for parole on Dec. 20, 1989 but was last denied the opportunity on August 7, 2014.

Unless prosecutors can convict Jones in the murder of another child, she will walk away from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Murray unit in Gatesville.

"If I had one wish it would be this is my last interview. because if that happened, that would mean they found a case they found her guilty and she'd never walk again," says Petti McClellan-Wiese, mother of 15-month-old Chelsea McClellan, who died in 1982. Jones was convicted in McClellan's death in 1984.

Families who may have information about Jones that they wish to share with authorities can contact the Bexar County District Attorney's Office by phone at 210-335-2311 and should ask for "special victims."

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 10:47:41 PM »

I hope this serial baby killer stays in prison the rest of her life.  I believe when she was sentenced to 99 years, that was the intention.

yep, i feel so bad for the parents, of the suspected murdered children
JMO, i think the bexar county hospitals suspected CYA moves is one of
the most reprehensible thing that was done to the parents of the suspected
murdered children, and the community, and the med boards response
was just as reprehensible
nothing like getting slapped in the face twice
if i was her i would fear for my safety walking out the gate

some info and story links from the murderpedia
http://murderpedia.org/female.J/j/jones-genene.htm

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 10:39:02 PM »

yep, i feel so bad for the parents, of the suspected murdered children
JMO, i think the bexar county hospitals suspected CYA moves is one of
the most reprehensible thing that was done to the parents of the suspected
murdered children, and the community, and the med boards response
was just as reprehensible
nothing like getting slapped in the face twice
if i was her i would fear for my safety walking out the gate

some info and story links from the murderpedia
http://murderpedia.org/female.J/j/jones-genene.htm

This is just another example of perpetrators' rights carrying more weight than victims' rights.
So messed up.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 09:32:07 PM »

http://kxan.com/2017/12/06/former-texas-nurse-to-be-arraigned-in-deaths-of-5-children/
Former Texas nurse to be arraigned in deaths of 5 children
December 6, 2017

AN ANTONIO (AP) — An imprisoned former nurse who prosecutors believe could be responsible for the deaths of up to 60 Texas children is set to be arraigned on murder charges in the deaths of five children in the early 1980s.

Genene Jones, who is 67, will be arraigned Thursday in San Antonio. The Bexar County district attorney’s office announced the five indictments over the last year.

Jones is serving concurrent 99-year and 60-year sentences in state prison for the killing of a 15-month-old and the sickening of 4-week-old. She was scheduled to be freed from prison in March under a mandatory release law in place when she was convicted.

Bexar County District Attorney Nico LaHood said Wednesday he’ll try each case separately.

Her attorney did not immediately return a call Wednesday for comment.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 08:35:21 AM »

http://www.kens5.com/news/local/killer-nurse-genene-jones-transferred-to-bexar-county-jail-on-5-new-charges/496746934
'Killer Nurse' Genene Jones transferred to Bexar County jail on new charges
December 4, 2017

SAN ANTONIO - The infamous 'killer nurse' Genene Jones was transferred from state prison to the Bexar County Jail Monday afternoon. Jones is facing five new murder charges, according to a search through the Bexar County Central Magistrate database.

Jones was taken into custody Monday and processed into the Bexar County Jail at 12:55 p.m. without the possibility of bond.

She faces five new felony first-degree murder charges.

Andy Kahan, a crime victim's advocate for the city of Houston, has been working closely with a family that say Genene Jones killed their children.

“Just seeing her being paraded into Bexar county jail, facing new charges, very rarely do homicide victims get a chance to smile."

Jones, 66, has been indicted on numerous new charges related to her role as a nurse at University Hospital in the early 1980s when a number of infants died under her care. Jones has been accused of injecting children with a powerful muscle relaxant.

“You know what went through my mind and I'm sure a lot of...this is the first anyone has seen the angel of death, the nurse baby killer in over 30 plus years,” Kahan said.

Jones was set to be released from prison in March of 2018 due to overcrowding after being sentenced to 99 years in 1982.

“These were victims who couldn't run, who couldn't yell, who couldn't fight back and for 30 some odd years, to have that notion that this particular individual is responsible for your death, there's a price you pay,” said Kahan.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 08:38:21 AM »

https://www.ksat.com/news/plea-bargain-possible-in-genene-jones-murder-cases
Plea bargain possible in Genene Jones murder cases
Jones, 67, to make first court appearance Thursday

December 6, 2017

'Killer nurse' Genene Jones back in San Antonio to face new murder charges
Jones, 67, is scheduled to make an appearance in 399th District Court on Thursday morning to enter a formal plea in five cases filed against her earlier this year.

Jones has been implicated in the deaths of as many as 60 babies while working as a pediatric nurse in San Antonio and the surrounding area in the late 1970s and early 1980s. She has been in a state prison near Waco since her conviction in the mid-80s

She is accused of injecting a powerful muscle relaxant into babies who were in her care.

Until now, however, she had only been charged in connection to two cases.

"This is an enormous step in the right direction for these children, their families and our community as a whole. The families of these children have been waiting for this moment for close to 35 years," LaHood said during a press conference Wednesday.

'Killer Nurse' Genene Jones indicted in fifth child-death case
LaHood declined to release specific details about a possible plea bargain, only saying that he "has an idea" of how the cases may play out.
Jones was extradited Monday from a women's prison outside Waco, just months before she was scheduled to be released due to mandatory sentencing guidelines in place at the time of her conviction.

Jones appeared weak and used a walker while being processed at the Bexar County Jail.

She did not respond to several questions about her new charges.

LaHood confirmed that Assistant District Attorney Jason Goss will prosecute the cases.

Goss has been credited for tirelessly working on these cases since LaHood took office in 2015.

Jones' attorney has not responded to repeated requests for comment.

LaHood has repeatedly said that his goal is to keep Jones behind bars until she dies.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 08:48:10 AM »

December 7, 2017

https://twitter.com/dilloncollier
Dillon Collier‏
@dilloncollier
 31m31 minutes ago
More
Genene Jones has arrived at court for her initial appearance on five counts of murder. We were told wheelchair was used instead of walker so it’s easier to move her around #KSATnews

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 08:51:06 AM »

Here's an article from Texas Monthly Magazine from 1983.  It gives some background.

The Death Shift
When nurse Genene Jones was on duty in a San Antonio hospital, babies had mysterious emergencies and sometimes died. Then she moved to a Kerrville clinic, and the awful pattern began again.

by PETER ELKINDAUGUST 1983

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 10:29:50 AM »

https://www.ksat.com/news/-killer-nurse-genene-jones-pleads-not-guilty-to-5-murder-charges
'Killer Nurse' Genene Jones pleads not guilty to 5 murder charges
Jones accused in killings of five infants

December 7, 2017

SAN ANTONIO - Genene Jones, the so-called "Killer Nurse," pleaded not guilty Thursday to five murder charges involving children.

Jones, 67, made her first court appearance in a Bexar County courtroom since she was charged.

She was extradited Monday from a women's prison outside Waco, just months before she was scheduled to be released due to mandatory sentencing guidelines in place at the time of her conviction.

Jones has been implicated in the deaths of as many as 60 babies while working as a pediatric nurse in San Antonio and the surrounding area in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 10:31:35 AM »

December 7, 2017
https://twitter.com/VeronicaGNews

Veronica Gallegos‏
@VeronicaGNews
 22m22 minutes ago
More
‘Killer nurse’ Genene Jones in court right now.  Pleads Not Guilty to all murder charges.  Victims are Joshua Sawyer, Rosemary Vega, Richard Ricky Nelson, Patrick Savala and Paul Villarreal.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »

http://foxsanantonio.com/news/local/killer-nurse-genene-jones-back-in-court-to-face-new-murder-charges-in-childrens-deaths
'Killer Nurse' Genene Jones pleads 'not guilty' of murder in deaths of 5 children
December 7, 2017

SAN ANTONIO - The infamous woman known as the "Killer Nurse" has pleaded 'not guilty' of murder in connection with the deaths of five young children.
She arrived shortly before 8 a.m. in an orange jail jumpsuit, wearing a face mask and sitting in a wheelchair.
Genene Jones was extradited to San Antonio this week. She is currently serving part of a 99-year prison sentence for a 1984 conviction, but a law in effect when she was initially sentenced would allow her to be released in March of 2018.
Bexar County District Attorney Nico LaHood has previously spoken about keeping Jones in prison for her role in the deaths of children who were being treated at a Bexar County hospital in the 80s. Over the last several months, LaHood filed five new murder charges against Jones.
He has said Jones is suspected of killing up to 60 children, many of them infants, by injecting them with lethal drug doses, but she was only ever convicted of killing one baby and injuring another one in 1984.

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.