April 19, 2024, 04:47:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Search For Pa. Teacher Matthew Greene, 39, was reported missing on July 29, 2013  (Read 29350 times)
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 05:49:15 PM »

thanks MB

read up thread about a txt at 2:53 am PST,ive done a lot of hiking, camping
not one time did i start at 3am in the dark for a hike,or wake at that time
to prepare for a hike,maybe something woke him and couldnt sleep again

From FB, an explanation of the "3 and 6 a.m." timeline on the new poster for Matt.

https://www.facebook.com/findmattgreene

Find Matthew Greene Carrie - the last communication on his phone was a txt MSG Rec'd at 2:53 am PST, leading us to believe he was up starting his day
7 hours ago..

Carrie Schaller Bachman ah. thank you.
7 hours ago

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 09:19:09 PM »

Find Matthew Greene
8 hours ago via mobile.

There is not anything new to report, but since we’ve had several requests for updates, I’d like to fill everyone in on our current efforts.

We have had a few volunteers that have checked our various areas on our search map and reported back to us and weighed in their thoughts.

We have a handful of key individuals that are helping us out of the kindness of their hearts to replenish flyers, ensure they’re being distributed, checking gear exchanges, storage lockers, and lost and founds, following up with various businesses in Mammoth Lakes for any information that may have been missed, and in general keepingMatt's story in front of everyone out in CA.

In addition, Detective Hornbeck helped us to make contact with the family that Matt had spoken to at the campsite the weekend prior his disappearance, who he discussed his plans with. They have access to a scanned copy of the pages that are missing from Matt’s guide book and are trying to recollect what Matt showed them. Regardless of what turns up with them, I am thankful they befriended Matt and that they came forward.

There are some other SAR suggestions that have been made that we are considering, such as Professional Trackers and a retired officer that has worked on other missing persons investigations with his trained cadaver dog.

We opened an official missing persons case here in Matt’s hometown. Why we didn’t think of it earlier is beyond me, but the more resources the better. I’m awaiting a status update, but last I talked to the detective from PA, he was awaiting a copy of Matt’s case file so that he could come up with a game plan. Upon opening the missing persons with his department, I requested search warrants be issued for Matt’s phone, email, and for a list of websites to be pulled pulled from the library server for 7/16 since we know he was one of the several internet users there that day. I’m hoping the search warrants will be cut and dry and that we’ll be able to get this information and review it quickly for any clues. I can’t stress enough how critical timing is with winter fast approaching.

Last but not least, there’s been tons of speculating going on amidst everything else – everyone is trying their best to think things through despite the limited information we have. Granted we run in circles a but but I like the brainstorming and it keeps Matt's case fresh. I want to thank everyone that is following us for their support; it means so much to me and to my family. ~ Tiffany
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 11:40:45 PM »

Find Matthew Greene
7 hours ago via mobile.

Working on Matt's activity at the library. Nothing substantial so far, but not done reviewing yet. Bethlehem, PA Detective also put through a court order for phone records; just a matter of time. If the weather cooperates, possibility of small search party going out mid October. We haven't given up.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 12:13:12 AM »

Find Matthew Greene
3 hours ago via mobile.

Library logs & phone records unfortunately didn't pan out to much, but am very thankful the Bethlehem PD was able to obtain them for us. Back to the drawing board; convinced there has to be a clue out there somewhere.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 09:23:13 AM »

Thank you for posting the update on the continuing search for clues to the disappearance of Matt Greene, grace-land.  I wish there was some news for his family, friends and students.  Very sad.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 08:33:04 PM »

Thank you for posting the update on the continuing search for clues to the disappearance of Matt Greene, grace-land.  I wish there was some news for his family, friends and students.  Very sad.   

You're welcome, MuffyBee!  The family has been working hard to find as much information/clues to help them find Matt.  Most of the information that is being shared is coming from the family (their facebook) and a hikers'/climbers' FB: http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=2195321&tn=2200

A small group of climbers is supposed to go out this week for a final attempt to find Matt before the window of opportunity closes for this year.  I hope they stay safe; it's dangerous where they plan to search.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 08:09:42 PM »

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=2195321&tn=2200

maverick01
climber
Oct 24, 2013 - 05:23pm PT 

Just to update everyone involved,

Would like to say that I am sorry to the family, but I decided
 to call off our search due to the weather and transportation
 issues to and from the trailhead. With the snow and icy conditions
 it would have made the search much riskier, also locating any
 evidence would have been much more difficult to see/find.
 Appreciated everyone's input for and against our search.
 Our group of approx 10, and possibly more by next year will
 conduct a search in the Minarets if nothing is found by then. 

tdg119
Social climber
Northampton, PA
Oct 28, 2013 - 07:16am PT 

Thank you for the update Maverick - we were wondering.

I'm glad you decided to play it safe.

I think it's safe to say that all efforts will just need to wait until spring.

I'm going to put forth some effort to go through Matt's gear that was brought back from Mammoth if my parents are OK with that. It's as much for my own peace of mind than out of expectation of finding anything.

Thank you again to everyone who's stuck by us throughout everything. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »

How really sad and painful to have wait until next year due to bad weather to be able to continue searching for a loved one.    

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »

I agree.  It is sad and painful.  Hoping and praying that Matt is found.  an angelic monkey

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 11:07:51 PM »

tdg119 is a family member.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=2195321&tn=2220

Cragman
Trad climber
June Lake, California....via the Damascus Road
Oct 29, 2013 - 12:38am PT

Biotch, there never was an "official" search called out, because there was simply not enough information to determine where Matthew had gone. Simple as that. 

tdg119
Social climber
Northampton, PA
Oct 30, 2013 - 08:49am PT 

What Cragman said.

I'll mention too that Matt was not even reported missing until 7/29. Neither the car repair shop nor the campground reported him missing (despite that they had his car & gear) and though family was worried that he was not returning calls, we didn't want to jump the gun.

By the time the MLPD found out, the campground had already packed up Matt's stuff and put it in storage. Kind of makes for a difficult trail to follow... 

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/nazareth/index.ssf/2013/10/post_34.html

Parents of missing Nazareth High School teacher launch college scholarship fun
October 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM, updated October 21, 2013 at 6:01 PM

The parents of a missing Nazareth Area High School math teacher have donated an estimated $5,000 to the Nazareth Area School District to launch a scholarship fund in their son’s name.

Patricia and Robert Greene several weeks ago contacted the district for help in forming the Matthew B. Greene Scholarship Fund. The fund, expected to be approved by the school board this evening, would provide $500 toward college scholarships for graduating seniors for the next 10 years.

“My husband and I just sat, talked about it and decided it was something we wanted to do,” Patricia Greene said today. “Matt would want this.”

Patricia Greene said the couple specifically would like the money to go to a student interested in what Matt is interested in -- hiking, the outdoors and math.

Mammoth Lakes police have said they haven’t had much luck in the search because that area of the Eastern Sierra is vast and rugged. Friends of Greene last summer flew to California and also attempted to retrace Greene’s steps with no luck.

Patricia Greene said that with colder weather around the corner, she fears the search soon will be closing.

“Right now, it’s just a matter of waiting,” she said. “It’s been difficult.”

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2013, 06:39:05 PM »

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=2195321&tn=2220

SplitPants
Social climber
LA

Nov 2, 2013 - 09:27am PT 

Given the circumstances I think EVERYONE has done a wonderful job in the search for Matt. Hats off to SAR, everyone that went boots on the ground like Cragman (I am sure I am missing some names so my apologies) and everyone on this thread that has poured their heart and soul into finding Matt.

I think this thread should focus on the positive and a strategy for next spring/summer search along with new updated flyers etc.........

I think the collective minds and hearts on this thread have been of much value to Matt's family and friends.

Keep the faith! Matt will be found. 
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 06:44:39 PM »

Sending prayers and keeping hope alive until Matt is found.   an angelic monkey

Find Matthew Greene
9 hours ago.

It is winter in Mammoth; snow has already fallen a few times. The window of opportunity to search this year has closed; the weather making it too treacherous. There is nothing we can do but accept it, take a step back, and plan to approach the search with renewed vigor in Spring. I have no new information; only more questions as the puzzle of what happened to Matt rides constantly in the back of our minds. Questions that in all honesty, we may never have the answers to, but which drive us forward in this pursuit for closure.

The t-shirt fundraiser was a huge success and I want to thank Kimberly for all her efforts in establishing and handling the fundraiser. It makes me proud to see the support and I look forward to seeing shirts worn across the country. Donations continue to trickle in here and there. Until search efforts begin again and funds are needed for those initiatives, money we’ve received will go towards Matt’s house and relative necessary bills. (Due to legalities, this is our only means of handling his affairs and trying to preserve what he worked so hard for).

My parents have started a scholarship in Matt’s honor at the school where he taught. (http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/nazareth/index.ssf/2013/10/post_34.html) They (and I) feel that it’s a great way to honor him; that it’s something he would have wanted and that he’d approve.

I want to thank those of you who are still following so closely. Your support has helped us to push forward in these tough times and I can’t stress how much it’s appreciated. I wish that I had more news to offer; I want to keep Matt on the forefront of everyone’s minds. Help me keep his story alive until we find him.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2013, 08:03:41 PM »

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/nazareth/index.ssf/2013/11/search_called_off_for_missing.html

Search for missing Nazareth Area High School math teacher called off
on November 06, 2013 at 6:08 PM, updated November 06, 2013 at 10:04 PM

The family of missing Nazareth Area High School math teacher Matthew Greene said the search for his whereabouts has been called off by authorities.

Greene's sister, Tiffany Minto, who set up a Facebook page titled “Find Matthew Greene” that has been providing details about Greene and the search, confirmed today treacherous weather conditions have ended the search this year.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2014, 11:51:52 PM »

Find Matthew Greene
Yesterday

A small group of Matt's friends have made it to Mammoth to do some searching and find some peace. They join a family member who has been out since May, doing 350+ miles worth of conditioning hikes and several overnight trips into the back country in effort to rule out lesser search areas. Dean continues to aid in our search and has helped us in more ways than I can count.

Another handful of people plan on visiting Mammoth within the next several weeks. Everyone is doing what they are capable of in our search for the needle in the haystack.

I'd like to ask you all to keep the story alive. We're nearing the 1-year mark. There could be a tourist who visits Mammoth (or similar destination) annually that could have missed the story in the off season.

Additionally, if you hike out there or know someone who does, please just keep an extra eye out for any objects or clues on your journeys.

Thank you everyone for the support. Have a safe & happy holiday weekend.
---------------
The search started again to find Matt--with Dean and Matt's father, Bob, searching.  Dean wrote a report about it at the link below.

http://www.supertopo.com/tr/Team-GREENE-the-search-for-Matthew-continues-in-the-Ritter-Range/t12425n.html
Team GREENE.....the search for Matthew continues in the Ritter Range.....
by Cragman
Wednesday July 2, 2014 8:20pm
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 11:45:36 PM »

Find Matthew Greene
July 10

The first group from PA has gone and returned; there is nothing new to share.
I am anxiously awaiting my turn (this weekend) to see the beautiful terrain in which Matt spent the last few weeks before his disappearance. I know one week will not be enough.

I'd like to share another excerpt; one from letters to yet another friend that are not included in anything I've posted. I consider these excerpts to be 'Mattisms' - my brother had an outlook on life different than most and I find his words and philosophies always make me take a step back and consider life and the way we lead it.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 11:49:58 PM »

Find Matthew Greene
6 hours ago

My dad and Matt's friends put me through my paces this morning. Enjoyed a hike on the Pacific Crest Trail from Agnew Meadows. No specific destination in mind. Loving seeing the landscapes. Matt is with us in spirit.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 11:02:38 PM »

Missing one year ago today...still searching for Mattan angelic monkey

Find Matthew Greene
4 hours ago

Hard to believe it's the one year anniversary of Matt's disappearance.

Hiked to Lake Ediza today with my dad to put posters up on the trailhead intersections. He also wanted to show me the search area. Stunning. Hard to turn around knowing he's out there somewhere; but I believe he'll be found if it's meant to be.

Matt

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2014, 11:05:02 PM »

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2014, 08:39:51 AM »

I hope Matthew can be found.   an angelic monkey

Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.