March 28, 2024, 06:14:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "U.S. gears up for huge, difficult land buyback for Indian tribes"  (Read 1318 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: August 27, 2013, 04:02:36 AM »

WASHINGTON — After bungling the management of Indian lands for generations, the federal government wants to make amends by spending nearly $2 billion to buy 10 million acres of land for 150 tribes across the nation.

That’s roughly twice the size of Massachusetts and would mark the largest expansion of the U.S. government’s land trust for tribes, which now covers 46 million acres.

To make the plan work, the government wants to find willing sellers to buy back reservation land it first gave to individual tribal members in 1887, often in tracts of 80 to 160 acres.

“We can improve Indian Country if people will go along with this program and sell their interests back to their tribes,” Kevin Washburn, the head of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, said in an interview.

It won’t be easy. With the land changing hands over the decades, many parcels now have hundreds or thousands of owners.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/08/01/198305/us-gears-up-for-huge-difficult.html#.UhxdSxucfkM#storylink=cpy

Wouldn't it be great if Obama bought (taxpayer paid for) land that every American has sold over the years?  No one really loses their rights to a piece of property they gave/sold/willed away?

What about those that do not want to sell the land?

What is wrong with this picture?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 04:06:19 AM »

“There’s no love for California Indian Country,” said Gabriel Galanda, a Seattle lawyer and a member of the Round Valley Indian Tribes of Mendocino County, Calif. He called the program “a disaster” in the making.

When tribal leaders met with government officials in Seattle, Chief James Allan of Idaho’s Coeur d’Alene Tribe complained that 45 percent of the money will go to just seven tribes.

“We’re all going to be fighting for scraps,” he said.

The plan calls for the U.S. Department of Interior, which oversees the Bureau of Indian Affairs, to buy back more than 92,000 parcels from private landowners. The effort, expected to last until 2022, will begin with pilot projects in Washington state, Montana and South Dakota.

Many property owners, with close ties to the land, are expected to be reluctant sellers.

“This is a modern day retaking of the land and, given the historical implications of that, they don’t want to relive it,” Les Riding-In, assistant dean and director of graduate studies at the University of Texas-Arlington and a member of the Comanche Tribe, said in an interview. “It’s reminiscent of how the government took the land back when colonization was happening.”
Emphasis added.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/01/4382745/us-gears-up-for-huge-difficult.html#storylink=cpy

I wonder which seven tribes get 45% of the money and which tribes get to fight for the scraps?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.