April 26, 2024, 06:31:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RUMORS OF BREAKING NEWS #9  (Read 231226 times)
iquitos
Scared Monkey

« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2005, 02:52:23 PM »

us virgin islands are within the jurisdiction of the US but it may be a local crime.  fbi does not usually do murders.  

Quote from: "CancunMole"
From TripAdvisor:

NativeLingo
Aruba        Posted on: 2:38 pm, today

Bodo... what do you think of the murder of the two New Yorkers in the U.S. Virgin islands of 2 days ago???
Do you think the FBI is already there?? Will they solve the case in let's say....a week?? maybe two??
Do you think they will get the same kind of MSM coverage as the Aruba case??
Just curious....
Vorpman
Scared Monkey

« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2005, 02:52:37 PM »

I'll still take Bermuda and its rule of law over a majority of caribbean islands, including Aruba.   And Bermuda has had its problems including attacks on tourists, drugs and gang violence.

Vorpman (on the run)

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050617/MIDOCEAN/106170150

Punish violent criminals with hard labour: Swan

Sen. Kim Swan  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  by News Editor JONATHAN KENT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FORGET the softly, softly approach – it's time for Bermuda to punish violent criminals with hard labour and boot camp-style reform programmes.

That is the view of Shadow Tourism Minister Kim Swan, who urged the Government to get tougher with thugs after two female American tourists were attacked by a machete-wielding robber in St. George's last week.
With violent offences on the increase and Bermuda's image as a safe tourist destination being eroded, the public was crying out for punishments to fit the crimes, Senator Swan said.
And if necessary, Bermuda should link up with suitable correctional facilities overseas to ensure the thugs received the type of steely discipline needed, or even send them away to work at sea for a few weeks, he added.

The victims of last Thursday night's robbery, aged 49 and 50, had left the White Horse Tavern at about 11.15 p.m. when they were approached by the thug, who was brandishing a machete, on Naval Tanks Hill.
The young man pushed the 50-year-old woman to the ground and snatched the handbag she was carrying. The victim suffered bruising to the left arm.

Police last month unveiled first-quarter crime statistics that showed street robberies were up 50 per cent compared with the same period last year. And overall, crime had risen 26 per cent.
Sen. Swan said the St. George's crime was deplorable and people believed that "enough was enough". The consequences of such crimes against tourists were far-reaching, he added.
"All crimes affect people's quality of life, but the effects of crimes against tourists go beyond our shores," Sen. Swan said. "Word gets around quickly with the speed of the Internet and, with the events that are taking place in Aruba at the moment, it does not bode well."
The story of the St. George's attack was certainly being well read on the web yesterday. Headlined "American tourists robbed by man brandishing machete", the story was the third most read of The Royal Gazette's online edition – five days after it had first been published.

Meanwhile in Aruba, police yesterday made further arrests linked to last month's disappearance of 18-year-old Alabama high school graduate Natalee Holloway.
"Make no mistake about it, the whole world is watching and these types of predatory crimes against tourists are increasingly alarming our friends and potential visitors overseas," Sen. Swan added. "The rise in violent crimes of this nature is jeopardising perhaps the most important ingredient of the Bermuda experience – the ability of our visitors to enjoy the unique charm and safety of our island.

"The Progressive Labour Party's inability to get tough with violent criminals and their 'softly, softly' approach to crime is a dismal failure that has only led to a US State Department travel advisory and an increasing loss of public confidence.
"For a Government that prides itself on being socially aware, they are not doing enough to combat crime. They say the situation is being monitored or they are using focus groups to identify the problem. That's no good. Let the people who are prepared to get on with the job get on and do it."
Many parents used stern disciplinary measures to bring their own children back into line after they had gone astray, said the United Bermuda Party Senate Leader, and the country needed to adopt a similar philosophy when dealing with violent criminals.
And he felt strongly that those who had committed violent crime should not be imprisoned alongside petty criminals who could be influenced by them.

"When the courts have identified people as violent criminals we need to take corrective action," Sen. Swan said.
"I don't understand what three strikes means, but I do that one strike against a tourist will manifest itself 20-fold in the harm that it does. The time has come for Bermuda to consider 'boot camp-style reform' for violent criminals. We need to explore all the possible options, which include considering hard labour, overseas or on the high seas."
Three weeks ago the Bermuda Police Service launched a new Tourist Crimes Unit (TCU) to help tackle and reduce the rising number of crimes against visitors and tourism properties.
The TCU is designed to increase police visibility in areas frequented by tourists, such as beaches, shopping areas and guest properties.
Sen. Swan said immediate action was needed in the St. George's area after last week's attack.
"Remote areas, such as Naval Tanks Hill and Coot Pond Road, and other areas where tourists are likely to walk at night, must be suitably lighted and policed," he said.
"While the community waits for action from the PLP, the UBP will continue to support the Bermuda Police Service, which is doing a phenomenal job with the meagre resources available to them. We urge the public to do their part by being vigilant and insuring that the police receive the support they need to bring violent criminals to justice."

Police are appealing for witnesses to last Thursday night's robbery.
The suspect is described as an 18-year-old black male, approximately 5ft 6in tall, of slim build, wearing shades, a baseball cap, a red sports jersey and long blue jeans. Anyone with any information is asked to contact the St. George's Criminal Investigation Unit on 297-1122.
l An American woman reported having her handbag snatched by a man on an auxiliary cycle as she walked along Pitts Bay Road, near the junction with Bermudiana Road, on Wednesday night at around 7.40 p.m. The suspect is described as a dark-skinned male, riding a red rental cycle with a large wire basket. Any witnesses are asked to contact Hamilton Police on 295-0011.
Pym
Scared Monkey

« Reply #202 on: June 18, 2005, 02:53:56 PM »

I tell 'ya...when I decided to make my son's senior trip a few weeks ago a "family vacation" he wasn't too happy to be stuck with my, dad and little sis but I think I did the right thing.

For the sake of all that is holy, could you back off on posting maybe even a small percentage of every thought that crosses your mind?

Honestly.
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2005, 02:54:06 PM »

VORPMAN Hello - check your PM

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
momto5
Scared Monkey

« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2005, 02:54:18 PM »

Quote from: "KerinTX"
I tell 'ya...when I decided to make my son's senior trip a few weeks ago a "family vacation" he wasn't too happy to be stuck with my, dad and little sis but I think I did the right thing.  Very Happy

Dont feel bad, my 16 yr old asked me "So I guess this means I cant go to Cancun for my senior trip?" I said "Not without me". Her friends and her have been planning a Cancun trip for some time, and us parents have been leary about it. We went back and forth on it their freshman year when they wanted to go for spring break. Of course we said no way. So they said how about for senior class trip or graduation? We said maybe. That maybe has turned into a NO WAY for most of the parents. Now were all thinking if they get to go, itll be with a parent each in tote. It sure hasnt made us very popular....

"Truth is generally the best vindication against slander. " ~ Abraham Lincoln
KerinTX
Monkey Junky

« Reply #205 on: June 18, 2005, 02:54:28 PM »

Quote from: "Another K in Texas"
Kerin, I agree, but the point is that going on one of these trips does not make you one of the wealthy.

Many middle class kids do it.

Ohhh....I totally agree. You are talking to the middle-class right here. I saved for that trip for 3 years.

"What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive"
NativeLingo
Scared Monkey

« Reply #206 on: June 18, 2005, 02:55:23 PM »

Hey CancunMole !! A very good afternoon to you!!!

Maybe Arubagirl is just too busy....will e-mail her later.....
chloe2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2005, 02:55:31 PM »

Quote from: "Catriana"
I think we have a whole group of underground predators removing their "tickle" sites as fast as we can find them.

I think they have been relatively "hidden" amongst their peers, for some time and Natalee's situation has brought a lot of this out in the open.  I don't think many of these teens and adults want the scrutiny.

I agree Cat. I think you are absolutely correct.
AnnieMW1
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #208 on: June 18, 2005, 02:55:46 PM »

Quote from: "Pym"
I tell 'ya...when I decided to make my son's senior trip a few weeks ago a "family vacation" he wasn't too happy to be stuck with my, dad and little sis but I think I did the right thing.

For the sake of all that is holy, could you back off on posting maybe even a small percentage of every thought that crosses your mind?

Honestly.

LOL.  Laughing
dragonfly
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #209 on: June 18, 2005, 02:55:47 PM »

Okay guys, sorry, maybe I was a little premature in my post about everything being calm and friendly here today.   Sad
AnnieMW1
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #210 on: June 18, 2005, 02:56:03 PM »

Quote from: "Pym"

Honestly.

LOL.  Laughing
mehill10
Scared Monkey

« Reply #211 on: June 18, 2005, 02:56:11 PM »

Quote from: "Ting"
special connections.

Well she, or more accurately, her family does have special connections. The US does not deploy FBI agents to missing person cases, nor do congressmen generally get involved. The family is certainly well off, they could afford to send their daughter on a trip to the Caribbean, and they could afford to go down and search for her themselves.

However, what I am getting at is that even those advantages may not be enough if the investigation takes certain turns. It was for that reason that I asked about her father's employment, and mentioned the other poster's reference to "security for Bush," because obviously such a circumstance would have some bearing on the level and scope of resources deployed.

I don't know this for a fact but I was told that the mayor of mountain brook  was a ex secrete service agent it might have been BS  dash might know
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #212 on: June 18, 2005, 02:56:16 PM »

Quote from: "KerinTX"
Quote from: "Another K in Texas"
Kerin, I agree, but the point is that going on one of these trips does not make you one of the wealthy.

Many middle class kids do it.

Ohhh....I totally agree. You are talking to the middle-class right here. I saved for that trip for 3 years.

YES KERIN I too would agree with you - most parents want to please their kids especially if they have proven to be trustworthy.

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
KerinTX
Monkey Junky

« Reply #213 on: June 18, 2005, 02:56:31 PM »

Quote from: "NativeLingo"

Hi Native. Glad to see you here.

"What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive"
iquitos
Scared Monkey

« Reply #214 on: June 18, 2005, 02:57:23 PM »

Ting, it has been knocked down a couple of times, was originally imported from another site.  

Quote from: "Ting"
nixsan, someone posted it, I searched for confirmation, and was unsuccessful in finding it, so I asked here.

I sincerely regret if such a question displeases you.

What would you suggest would have been a better way?
Embarassed
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #215 on: June 18, 2005, 02:57:44 PM »

Quote from: "chloe2"
Quote from: "Catriana"
I think we have a whole group of underground predators removing their "tickle" sites as fast as we can find them.

I think they have been relatively "hidden" amongst their peers, for some time and Natalee's situation has brought a lot of this out in the open.  I don't think many of these teens and adults want the scrutiny.

I agree Cat. I think you are absolutely correct.

DON'T YOU THINK IT'S POSSIBLE that these sites have been removed by the feds or someone in authority????

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
dragonfly
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #216 on: June 18, 2005, 02:57:46 PM »

Quote from: "NativeLingo"

Hello Native!!  How are you?
NativeLingo
Scared Monkey

« Reply #217 on: June 18, 2005, 02:58:47 PM »

Hello Kerin  Wink
pinto
Scared Monkey

« Reply #218 on: June 18, 2005, 02:58:49 PM »

Here are a few things:

Over on Websleuths, one of the Aruban posters is explaining that Max Arends, the student/classmate of Joran's, is NOT the one questioned by police. That was Max Arendsz, whom someone else described as being a drag racer.

This page, http://elektron.et.tudelft.nl/~ensermo/mike/pages/alltogether.htm
the original with the "thin" photo of Steve Croes, describes him (Croes) as "the best and crazyiest [sp] driver I have ever met!"  

So perhaps that's the link between these two ....
CancunMole
Scared Monkey

« Reply #219 on: June 18, 2005, 02:59:09 PM »

Quote from: "iquitos"
us virgin islands are within the jurisdiction of the US but it may be a local crime.  fbi does not usually do murders.  

Quote from: "CancunMole"
From TripAdvisor:

NativeLingo
Aruba        Posted on: 2:38 pm, today

Bodo... what do you think of the murder of the two New Yorkers in the U.S. Virgin islands of 2 days ago???
Do you think the FBI is already there?? Will they solve the case in let's say....a week?? maybe two??
Do you think they will get the same kind of MSM coverage as the Aruba case??
Just curious....

Exactly Iquitos! My guess is that NativeLingo may be trying to point out what I said earlier: If this had happenend anywhere else, there would not be such a media frenzy. God knows I want this girl (and all the others missing in the US) to be found safe, but all this being Aruba's fault should STOP.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.