April 27, 2024, 01:53:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7 Year Old Willow Long Missing Since 9/8/13 in Watson, IL  (Read 68605 times)
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »

Willow Long’s brother in protective custody; mother & uncle under investigation
Posted on: 1:36 pm, September 12, 2013

WATSON, IL (KTVI) – The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services took 7-year-old Willow Long’s 3-year-old brother into custody on Sept 10th.  Both the mother Ciarra DeRyke and uncle Justin DeRyke are under investigation by the department. A report to DCFS regarding the child was called in on Sunday Sept, 8th. The children lived in a home in Watson, IL with their mother, uncle and grandparents.

<snipped>

http://fox2now.com/2013/09/12/willow-longs-brother-in-protective-custody-mother-uncle-under-investigation/

What changed?

Janet

++++++

Interview with DeRyke reveals details in Willow Long’s death
Posted on: 3:17 pm, September 11, 2013

EFFINGHAM, IL (KTVI) – The gruesome details of the murder of a 7-year-old Watson, Illinois girl came to light in an Effingham court room. The state’s attorney said the girl’s own uncle informed police he killed Willow Long to put her out of her misery. ...

State’s Attorney Bryan Kibler said, “It’s with much sadness that we’re here today.”  And he began detailing the case.

<snipped>

Kibler added, “We can confidently state there is no one else who’s a person of interest and the community is safe.”

http://fox2now.com/2013/09/11/new-details-emerge-in-death-of-willow-long/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2013, 04:54:50 PM »

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »

Authorities Seen Working in Area Near Willow's Home
Published on September 12 2013 10:05 am

Investigators working on the murder of Willow Long were at a property near Willow's home on the south end of Watson Wednesday.

Illinois State Police Zone 7 Investigations Lieutenant Kelly Hodge today said the investigation is ongoing.  Hodge said investigators are following leads and collecting evidence.

While the investigation continues, Effingham County State's Attorney Bryan Kibler said Wednesday he feels there was no one else involved in Willow's death and that there is no reason for the public to be concerned for their safety.

<snipped>

http://www.thexradio.com/news/78-local-news/7519-authorities-seen-working-in-area-near-willow-s-home

Police say "no third crime scene"
09/12/2013 13:28 PM

WATSON -- Authorities say rumors of a third crime scene in relation to the murder of Willow Long are untrue. Illinois State Police received numerous calls regarding blood at a site in the 300-block of Route 37.

It was determined a volunteer involved in the weekend search for the little girl was cut on a piece of glass in the area. Officials say any blood at that location is that of the volunteer.

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/story/police-say-no-third-crime-scene/d/story/IVgSRWxHnUW4uqfmf5Yy5w

_____

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2013, 05:46:33 PM »

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/f050d7fef3bd4e0db94e22615329c7b9/IL--Girl-Killed-Uncle-Charged
Brother of slain Illinois girl in state custody
September 12, 2013  4:21 pm EDT

ST. LOUIS — Child-welfare officials have taken a southern Illinois boy into protective custody after authorities say his 7-year-old sister was stabbed to death by a live-in uncle, a spokesman for the state agency said Thursday.

Illinois Department of Children & Family Services spokesman Dave Clarkin said that before Willow Long was killed last weekend, the agency had no involvement with the family from Watson, an Effingham County village about 100 miles northeast of St. Louis. The boy is 3, and Clarkin did not specify his whereabouts.

Justin DeRyke, 22, was charged Wednesday with first-degree murder. A prosecutor said DeRyke insisted to investigators he killed his niece late Saturday or early Sunday to "put her out of her misery" after he says she fell onto a brush pile and pierced her neck with a stick near the family's home.

DeRyke is jailed on $5 million bond and does not yet have an attorney. He's set to appear again in court next Thursday.

Kibler said an autopsy showed Willow sustained numerous knife wounds, including a slash across her throat and a fatal stab wound that severed a vein. He said cuts on her hands suggested there had been a struggle. The probable-cause statement recited in court made no mention of any autopsy findings of a possible neck wound caused by a stick.

During a news conference after DeRyke's court appearance Wednesday, Kibler sidestepped discussing claims by Willow's mother that she last saw her daughter alive watching television Sunday morning and that she fell asleep and woke up to discover the girl was gone. That version appears to contradict DeRyke's account that the girl already was dead when the mother claimed to have seen her.

Kibler said the investigation was ongoing and that "there will be a lot more details that will come out."

Services for Willow will be at 11 a.m. Monday at First Baptist Church in Effingham, Illinois, followed by family-only burial services. Visitation has been scheduled for 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday at Effingham High School.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »

http://www.bauerfh.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=2233437&fh_id=13010

Willow Marie Long
(December 13, 2005 - September 9, 2013)

Funeral services for Willow Marie Long, 7 of Watson, will be held at 11:00 a.m., Monday, September 16, 2013 at First Baptist Church in Effingham. Private burial services will be held for the family only. Visitation will be held from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Saturday evening at the Hearts Rock Café in the Effingham High School. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to any local organization who participated in the search for Willow.

Bauer Funeral Home
302 East Main Street, Teutopolis, IL
(217) 857-3800

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »

September 12, 2013 Tweets
https://twitter.com/979Xfm

979 Xfm ‏@979Xfm 1h
Funeral services for Willow Long have been set, with public visitation at Effingham High School. Details: http://goo.gl/ZQd2or

979 Xfm ‏@979Xfm 3h
UPDATE: Willow Long's 3-year old brother is in protective custody. Story: http://goo.gl/kPLuHH

979 Xfm ‏@979Xfm 6h
UPDATE: Police working another location in ongoing investigation into the murder of Willow Long. Story: http://goo.gl/G95KlZ

979 Xfm ‏@979Xfm 6h
Watson Fire Department issues statement thanking those who helped in the search for Willow Long. Story: http://goo.gl/fz3q6a

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »

http://effinghamdailynews.com/deathnotices/x335466834/Willow-Long-Watson

Death Notices

September 12, 2013
Willow Long
Effingham Daily News

WATSON —

Funeral services for Willow Marie Long, 7, of Watson, will be at 11 a.m. Monday at First Baptist Church, Effingham. Private burial services will be for the family only. Visitation will be from 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday at Hearts Rock Cafe at Effingham High School. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to any local organization who participated in the search for Willow. Bauer Funeral Home, Effingham, is assisting the family with arrangements. Online condolences may be left at www.bauerfh.com.
Willow was born Dec. 13, 2005, in Effingham, the daughter of Thomas Long and Ciara DeRyke. She attended Southside Grade School in Effingham, where she had just begun her second grade year.
Willow is survived by her father, Tommy Long of Canton, Texas; mother, Ciara DeRyke of Watson; brother, Nathaniel Graves of Watson; grandparents, Dale and Debbie DeRyke of Watson, Kenneth and Catherine Long and Wanda Bamburg, all of Canton, Texas, Morris and Bobbie DeRyke of Schoolcraft, Mich.; great-grandparents, Wilma Sue Miller of Kalamazoo, Mich.; and great-great-grandmother, Gertrude Kerr of Kalamazoo, Mich.
Sign the guestbook at www.effinghamdailynews.com.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2013, 06:03:18 PM »

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Hundreds-join-together-in-Watson-to-mourn-loss-of-Willow-Long-223398381.html
Hundreds come together to mourn loss of 7-year-old Willow Long
Posted on September 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Updated today at 9:20 AM

Hundreds of residents in Watson gathered Wednesday night to suffer that heartbreak together and start the process of healing.
About 400 to 500 gathered at the Watson Civic Center to remember Long. Friends, relatives and residents who did not even know the girl showed up wearing purple to pay their respects. Friends talked about how nice she was and her father addressed the crowd.
"I just want you all to know that I love every last one of you, you all mean the world to me and I know Willow is looking down on us so proud right now, she is so happy that we have all done this for her," said Tommy Long at the memorial service for his daughter, Willow.
Memorial funds have been set up to help pay travel expenses for relatives of Willow who are coming from out of town to attend her funeral. Also the funds will help to buy books for her school.
A willow tree has been purchased and will be planted in the middle of town so that the town of Watson will never forget Long.

Video & slide show with 4 images at link.

theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2013, 09:25:22 PM »

Willow Long’s brother in protective custody; mother & uncle under investigation
Posted on: 1:36 pm, September 12, 2013

WATSON, IL (KTVI) – The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services took 7-year-old Willow Long’s 3-year-old brother into custody on Sept 10th.  Both the mother Ciarra DeRyke and uncle Justin DeRyke are under investigation by the department. A report to DCFS regarding the child was called in on Sunday Sept, 8th. The children lived in a home in Watson, IL with their mother, uncle and grandparents.

<snipped>

http://fox2now.com/2013/09/12/willow-longs-brother-in-protective-custody-mother-uncle-under-investigation/

What changed?

Janet

++++++

Interview with DeRyke reveals details in Willow Long’s death
Posted on: 3:17 pm, September 11, 2013

EFFINGHAM, IL (KTVI) – The gruesome details of the murder of a 7-year-old Watson, Illinois girl came to light in an Effingham court room. The state’s attorney said the girl’s own uncle informed police he killed Willow Long to put her out of her misery. ...

State’s Attorney Bryan Kibler said, “It’s with much sadness that we’re here today.”  And he began detailing the case.

<snipped>

Kibler added, “We can confidently state there is no one else who’s a person of interest and the community is safe.”

I think the difference is DHS and LEO - while the uncle was the cause of the death, the mother should have known. I am sure that she will not keep custody of the little boy - now if they would sterilize her . . . .

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2013, 09:28:09 PM »

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2013, 09:43:55 PM »

Protective custody?  Long-term placement?  Why?  Justin is no longer in the home.  Are there family dynamics that have not been revealed.  My 2 year old granddaughter would not stop crying if she was separated from her family for even one night.

Janet

++++++

Willow Long's 3-Year-Old Brother in Protective Custody
Published on September 12 2013 1:14 pm

After the murder of his sister over the weekend, DCFS has taken the 3-year-old brother of Willow Long into protective custody.

Illinois' Department of Children and Family Services tell us that a formal proceeding determining the child's long-term placement is forthcoming, but didn't provide any further information. The family had not been visited or contacted by DCFS prior to this case.

<snipped>

http://www.thexradio.com/news/78-local-news/7526-willow-long-s-3-year-old-brother-in-protective-custody

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2013, 09:55:02 PM »

I think the difference is DHS and LEO - while the uncle was the cause of the death, the mother should have known. I am sure that she will not keep custody of the little boy - now if they would sterilize her . . . .

Thanks theboyzmom

Did Justin have a history ... a history that would imply that Ciara should have known that her children were at risk when  she left them with her brother last Saturday evening.  Obviously ... the apprehension of Nathaniel implies I must have missed something regarding the dynamics within that household.

Janet

_____

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2013, 10:41:28 PM »

Janet, the grandfather spoke briefly about the family--stressful.

Video at the link

http://www.wics.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_13072.shtml

Tuesday, September 10 2013, 07:22 PM CDT
Willow's Long's Grandfather Speaks About Family

DeRyke also revealed he and his wife shared a home with Willow, along with Willow's brother, her mother, and her uncle--Justin DeRyke, the suspect in Willow's death.

Last night, Dale DeRyke described their home live as "stressful" because of those living conditions.

Of his son, Dale DeRyke said the 22-year-old worked, and was trying to advance his career.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #153 on: September 12, 2013, 11:46:36 PM »

Janet, the grandfather spoke briefly about the family--stressful.

Video at the link

http://www.wics.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_13072.shtml

Tuesday, September 10 2013, 07:22 PM CDT
Willow's Long's Grandfather Speaks About Family

DeRyke also revealed he and his wife shared a home with Willow, along with Willow's brother, her mother, and her uncle--Justin DeRyke, the suspect in Willow's death.

Last night, Dale DeRyke described their home live as "stressful" because of those living conditions.

Of his son, Dale DeRyke said the 22-year-old worked, and was trying to advance his career.

Grace ... I did read the word of Ciara's father the other day.

I can appreciate that three generations under one roof can be stressful in the best of relationships but ... children are not apprehended ... placed outside the family long term.  Support is provided.

I have so many mixed emotions but ... I will trust CPS that it has been determined the little boy is at risk.  What a nightmare!

Thanks

Janet

_____

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2013, 09:19:47 AM »

I think that it is a safety precaution to take the little boy  out of the house at this time. If the home is considered safe, then he will b returned. Doesn't hi happen in most cases where a child is murdered in their home?
Where is the father of this child?
Was Willows father in her life while she was alive?

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2013, 10:58:09 AM »

the probable cause statement,if you are having probs reading the small img,
you can right click each section and open in a new tab or window,click on it,
and it will increase in size for easier viewing

probable cause statement,bottom of pg

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2013, 11:03:01 AM »

I think that it is a safety precaution to take the little boy  out of the house at this time. If the home is considered safe, then he will b returned. Doesn't hi happen in most cases where a child is murdered in their home?

Cookie

Protective custody?  Long-term placement?  When I stop to think about it without emotion ... CPS would not separate a little boy from his Mom, Grandma and Grandpa if there were not reasons to believe he was at risk if he remained in the home.

Willow's father ... Tommy Long ... lives in Texas and he spoke at her vigil but I have not heard if there was a relationship.

Janet

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2013, 01:29:03 PM »

VIDEO: Interview with Willow Long's Grandmother
September 13 2013 12:07 pm

n an exclusive interview conducted this morning, the grandmother of Willow Long and the mother of Justin DeRyke who is charged in Willow's death, said she and the family can't imagine why the event happened.

Debbie DeRyke said she and her husband Dale were phoned by their daughter Ciara, Willow's mother, on Sunday that Willow was missing.  Dale and Debbie are over-the-road truck drivers and had left the family home in Watson Saturday evening.  She said she prayed that "God would take my life if Willow would be alright."  She also said she can't understand why her son would do what he has admitted he did regarding Willow's death, saying he and Willow always got along.

Mrs. DeRyke made a point of saying, "We are not supporting our son (with any of the funds being donated)."

Debbie DeRyke also told us that the family does not want any of the money that might be collected in a fund established at Crossroads Bank.  She said the family wants it to go to the emergency services personnel involved in the two-day search for her granddaughter to help cover the bills incurred by the agencies.

Justin DeRyke is being held in Effingham County Circuit Court under $5 million bond.  He is next due in court Thursday for a first appearance with his legal counsel.  He indicated that he planned to hire his own attorney.

<snipped>

http://www.thexradio.com/news/78-local-news/7546-video-interview-with-willow-long-s-grandmother

_____

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2013, 02:53:31 PM »

Cookie

Protective custody?  Long-term placement?  When I stop to think about it without emotion ... CPS would not separate a little boy from his Mom, Grandma and Grandpa if there were not reasons to believe he was at risk if he remained in the home.

Willow's father ... Tommy Long ... lives in Texas and he spoke at her vigil but I have not heard if there was a relationship.

Janet

I wonder where the little boys dad is.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »

http://www.bauerfh.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=2233437&fh_id=13010

Willow Marie Long
(December 13, 2005 - September 9, 2013)

Funeral services for Willow Marie Long, 7 of Watson, will be held at 11:00 a.m., Monday, September 16, 2013 at First Baptist Church in Effingham. Private burial services will be held for the family only. Visitation will be held from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Saturday evening at the Hearts Rock Café in the Effingham High School. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to any local organization who participated in the search for Willow.

Bauer Funeral Home
302 East Main Street, Teutopolis, IL
(217) 857-3800

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.