April 27, 2024, 11:22:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7 Year Old Willow Long Missing Since 9/8/13 in Watson, IL  (Read 68615 times)
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2013, 03:18:43 PM »

I think that it is a safety precaution to take the little boy  out of the house at this time. If the home is considered safe, then he will b returned. Doesn't hi happen in most cases where a child is murdered in their home?
Where is the father of this child?
Was Willows father in her life while she was alive?

Cookie

Protective custody?  Long-term placement?  When I stop to think about it without emotion ... CPS would not separate a little boy from his Mom, Grandma and Grandpa if there were not reasons to believe he was at risk if he remained in the home.

Willow's father ... Tommy Long ... lives in Texas and he spoke at her vigil but I have not heard if there was a relationship.

Janet

I wonder where the little boys dad is.

cookie

Nathaniel's father is 23 year old Jayson Graves who lives in Effingham.  I am unable to find any more info on him re on-line articles.  I don't do Facebook (yet).  There is probably lots of background there.

Janet

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2013, 03:20:45 PM »

_____

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »

http://youtu.be/jtE9iPChV8E

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jtE9iPChV8E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/jtE9iPChV8E</a>

Willow Long's grandmother talks with Greg Sapp

979 XFM

Full story from Greg Sapp is here: http://goo.gl/czuSZY

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2013, 06:13:15 PM »

September 13, 2013 3:14 PM
Willow Long Update: Mother of slain Ill. girl investigated by state child and family services, spokesman says

(CBS/AP) EFFINGHAM, Ill. - The mother of slain Illinois girl Willow Long is being investigated by the state's Department of Children and Family Services (DCF), and the girl's three-year-old brother has been taken into protective custody by the department, a DCF spokesman tells CBS News' Crimesider.

The DCF is also investigating the girl's live-in uncle, said spokesman Dave Clarkin, who also said he's subject of a criminal investigation.

Clarkin said the DCF investigations into Long's mother and uncle were launched on Sept. 8 -- the same day the girl was reported missing -- after someone called a DCF hotline to report allegations of neglect and abuse. Two allegations of neglect were reported against the girl's mother, Ciarra DeRyke, and one allegation of abuse was reported against Justin DeRyke, he said.

Effingham County State's Attorney Bryan Kibler tells Crimesider there are no criminal charges against Ciarra DeRyke "at this time." The criminal investigation is still in its early stages and it's not clear whether more charges will be filed in the case, he said.

Clarkin couldn't provide further details about the nature of the DCF allegations. The investigations, which should be complete in about 60 days, will determine whether the allegations are true and aim to ensure the safety of the surviving child, Clarkin said. Once completed, the department and others will make a recommendation to a judge as to whether the child should be re-united with the family or placed in another home, he said.

Though he wouldn't speak to whether the three-year-old child was currently with other family members, he said about half of the children taken into protective custody by the state are placed with relatives and the other half are placed with a foster care provider.

<snipped>

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57602854-504083/willow-long-update-mother-of-slain-ill-girl-investigated-by-state-child-and-family-services-spokesman-says/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2013, 06:25:18 PM »

Funeral services for Willow Long set for Monday
Sep 13, 2013 7:45 AM PDT

WATSON, Ill. (AP) - A funeral will be held Monday for a 7-year-old southern Illinois girl who authorities say was stabbed to death by her uncle.

Services for Willow Long will be held Monday at Effingham's First Baptist Church. It's set to begin at 11 a.m.

A visitation is scheduled to take place Saturday at the Hearts Rock Cafe in Effingham High School from 5 to 9 p.m.

<snipped>

http://www.14news.com/story/23424376/funeral-for-willow-long-set-for-monda

_____

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2013, 12:09:41 AM »

Video at the link

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/397791/3/Willow-Longs-grandmother-speaks-out-for-first-time

Debbie DeRyke, Willow Long's grandmother, speaks out for the first time
7:22 PM, Sep 13, 2013

She says her daughter Ciara DeRyke has been stricken with grief and practically in hiding.

"She has been in bed bawling every day," Debbie DeRyke said. "We're trying to keep her protected, she don't want to deal with the media."

Her son, Justin DeRyke is accused of murdering his own niece. She says she's stunned about any involvement from Justin, but didn't jump to his defense.

"We had no idea that maybe our son had some problems," she said. "I don't know, We are asking ourselves over and over was there any signs we might have missed, was there something we didn't know."

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=624227327598831&set=o.581272518600080&type=1&ref=nf

an angelic monkey

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=624204820934415&set=o.581272518600080&type=1&ref=nf

This is at the memorial close to where they found her...

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »

So sad

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2013, 12:24:27 PM »

Funeral services for Willow Long set for Monday
Sep 13, 2013 7:45 AM PDT

WATSON, Ill. (AP) - A funeral will be held Monday for a 7-year-old southern Illinois girl who authorities say was stabbed to death by her uncle.

Services for Willow Long will be held Monday at Effingham's First Baptist Church. It's set to begin at 11 a.m.

A visitation is scheduled to take place Saturday at the Hearts Rock Cafe in Effingham High School from 5 to 9 p.m.

<snipped>

http://www.14news.com/story/23424376/funeral-for-willow-long-set-for-monda

It appears that the location of Willow's funeral has change.

Janet

++++++

Willow Long's funeral service scheduled for today at Effingham High School
7:35 AM, Sep 16, 2013

EFFINGHAM, Ill. (AP) - Family and friends will say their formal goodbyes to a 7-year-old southern Illinois girl who authorities say was stabbed to death by her uncle.

Services for Willow Long of the tiny village of Watson in Effingham County are scheduled for 11 a.m. Monday at Effingham High School, followed by private burial.

Twenty-two-year-old Justin DeRyke was charged last Wednesday with first-degree murder in Willow's death.

Prosecutors say he told investigators he killed his niece to end her suffering after she accidentally fell onto a brush pile and pierced her neck with a stick near the family's home.

DeRyke is being held on $5 million bond and hiring an attorney. He's set to appear again in court Thursday.

<snipped>

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/397986/3/Willow-Longs-funeral-service-scheduled-for-toda

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2013, 02:43:11 PM »

September 16, 2013
Family, friends say goodbye to Willow Lon
g

In a packed, tear-filled chapel, family and friends said one last goodbye to 7-year-old Willow Long.

More than 150 people gathered at First Baptist Church in Effingham, supporting the DeRyke and Long families as an entire community takes the first steps in trying to heal from the tragedy.

"We want to be reminded today that we are in a place of worship and that's what we do we worship our God, God who didn't create death but gave us a place to go," said the Rev. Dan Tarno of Grace Bible Fellowship Baptist Church in Canton, Texas, who opened the ceremony.

Family members acknowledged the acute loss everyone feels for Willow but also the power she had to unite her family and community.

"There was something that Willow not only looked for, but something Willow wanted to deliver, which was love," said one family member. "To be able to put a smile on mom's face, grandmother's face, dad's face, uncles, aunts, that's who she was. I know it's been a difficult time for not just family, but friends and those who looked for her but that (search) was put together, that love was driven for this angel."

Thomas Long, Willow's father, struggled to explain what his daughter means to him and the obvious impact she had on the community.

"I've thought and I've prayed and I've prayed and I've thought about what I could say about Willow and I realized that there's nothing that I can tell everyone here about Willow that you don't already know," he said. "She was wonderful and perfect, and we all loved her."

Long said he hoped his message to his daughter could be shared in the hearts of the community.

"You're with the Lord now safe and free and you have eternity with him forever," he said. "You will always be my little angel. Please don't be sad for me Willow. One day, you'll open your eyes, and I'll be there with you to hold you as we walk through the kingdom of heaven with our lord. I will always love you Willow, and I miss you so very much."

http://effinghamdailynews.com/local/x134956778/Family-friends-say-goodbye-to-Willow-Long

_____

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »

Rest in Peace, Willow  an angelic monkey
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2013, 07:01:39 PM »

Another senseless death of an innocent child...

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2013, 09:45:02 PM »

http://www.wics.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_13189.shtml

Tuesday, September 17 2013, 05:49 PM CDT
Defense Attorney Appointed to Represent Effingham Murder Suspect

Effingham County court records show Justin DeRyke, the man charged in the murder of 7-year-old Willow Long, will be represented by defense attorney Scott Schmidt. Schmidt is a public defender in Effingham County.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2013, 09:52:31 PM »

http://www.thexradio.com/news/78-local-news/7620-public-defender-appointed-to-represent-deryke

Public Defender Appointed to Represent DeRyke
Published on September 17 2013 3:17 pm

DeRyke sent a note Monday from his cell at Effingham County Jail to the court, requesting Schmidt's appointment.  He had originally indicated he would hire his own attorney.  Judge Sherri Tungate notified Schmidt by phone Tuesday of his appointment to the case.

DeRyke is being held under $5 million bond.  He is due in court for his first appearance with his attorney Thursday at 1pm, but his case is also to be considered Wednesday by an Effingham County grand jury.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2013, 01:08:10 PM »

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Uncle-charged-with-murder-of-7-year-old-Illinois-girl-appears-in-front-of-grand-jury-224215581.html

Uncle charged with murder of 7-year-old Illinois girl indicted today
Posted on September 18, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Updated today at 11:07 AM

(KMOV) -- A man who faces charges for allegedly killing his 7-year-old niece appeared in front of a grand jury for his indictment Wednesday morning.

Justin DeRyke, 22, is accused of murdering Willow Long in Effingham County early last week.

According to Bryan Kibler, the Effingham County State’s Attorney, DeRyke will be indicted on three first-degree murder charges.

Officials said 16 to 21 jurors heard details of the case. Kibler said there will most likely be a unanimous vote to indict him.

Despite that, Kibler said he expects DeRyke’s public defender to enter a not guilty plea during the arraignment Thursday afternoon.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »

http://www.thexradio.com/news/78-local-news/7644-grand-jury-indicts-deryke-on-three-counts-of-first-degree-murder

Grand Jury Indicts DeRyke on Three Counts of First Degree Murder
Published on September 18 2013 2:43 pm

There are three counts of murder involved since they allege different theories concerning Willow's death, such as DeRyke took the actions knowing they would result in her death and knowing that the actions carried a strong probability of resulting in her death.

Effingham County State's Attorney Bryan Kibler said the counts included in the indictment also specify the difference in DeRyke's age and that of Willow, which would be important if DeRyke is convicted and the case continues to the sentencing phase.

If DeRyke is convicted on any of the three counts of the indictment, Kibler said he would face a mandatory sentence of natural life in prison.

DeRyke is still scheduled to make his first court appearance with his attorney, Effingham County Public Defender Scott Schmidt, Thursday at 1pm.  DeRyke asked for appointment of the public defender Monday after earlier indicating he would hire his own attorney.

In the meantime, the Effingham County Sheriff's Department and the Illinois State Police continue to investigate the disappearance and death of Willow Long and all surrounding circumstances.  The investigation is ongoing.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #178 on: September 19, 2013, 06:15:34 PM »

http://effinghamdailynews.com/local/x1836115456/DeRyke-pleads-not-guilty-to-nieces-murder

September 19, 2013
DeRyke pleads not guilty to niece's murder

EFFINGHAM — Jury selection in the case of a Watson man accused of stabbing his niece to death earlier this month was set for Dec. 2 during a brief Thursday afternoon hearing in Effingham County Circuit Court.

But State's Attorney Bryan Kibler admitted to reporters after the hearing that it was "highly unlikely" that Justin D DeRyke would face a jury in December because of the complexity of the case.

"It's hypothetically possible the case could go that soon," Kibler said. But he added the case is still being heavily investigated by a variety of agencies, making it likely that any trial would be sometime in 2014, if then.

DeRyke pleaded not guilty to all three counts against him. Under Illinois law, a person can be charged with multiple counts of murder per victim.

In this case, DeRyke is accused of stabbing Willow with the intent to kill her; stabbing her knowing that the act would be fatal; and stabbing her in the clavicle knowing that such an act caused a strong probability of death.

Because of the respective ages of DeRyke and the victim, DeRyke could be subject to life in prison without the possibility of parole, or "natural life," as it is called under Illinois law.

Judge Sherri Tungate set pretrial for 11 a.m. Oct. 22.

Kibler declined to speculate on whether additional people would be arrested in connection with Willow's death, noting that the investigation was ongoing.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #179 on: September 19, 2013, 06:54:26 PM »

Makes me so sick

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.