March 28, 2024, 04:38:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Titans/Oilers founder and owner K.S. "Bud" Adams Dead at 90  (Read 7754 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: October 22, 2013, 10:26:56 PM »

http://www.khou.com/sports/Titans-owner-Bud-Adams-passes-away-in-Houston-228637641.html
Titans owner Bud Adams remembered as pioneer, innovator
October 21, 2013

NASHVILLE, Tenn.—Titans owner K.S. "Bud" Adams Jr. has died in his Houston home. He was 90.
"Titans/Oilers founder and owner K.S. "Bud" Adams, Jr. passed away peacefully from natural causes at his home this morning in Houston," the Titans tweeted.
Adams’ body was found in his River Oaks home after police were called for a welfare check.
The son of a prominent oil executive, Adams built his own energy fortune and used it to found the Houston Oilers in the upstart American Football League.
Adams moved the team to Tennessee after the 1996 season when he couldn’t get the new stadium he wanted in Houston. The franchise, renamed the Titans, in 2000 reached the Super Bowl Adams had spent more than three decades pursuing.
We found several former Oilers at the Sugar Creek Country Club at quarterback Dan Pastorini’s charity golf tournament.
"He gave me my opportunity to play football," Pastorini said. "He drafted me, I was from a small college, and allowed me to play here for nine years and I’m still living in this great city so for that I’m very grateful and thankful I had the opportunity to play for him."
Former players called Adams an eccentric genius, a difficult man to get to know, but one whom Houston Oilers fans shouldn’t resent.
"I understand that because I have that. I don’t have a home anymore. I don’t have a team. I have a little bit of that animosity as well but I do give the man the respect that he deserves," said former Oiler David Carter.
"As a man who attempted to do right, really, by the city of Houston, by bringing the team here in the first place," said former Oiler Charley Frazier.
Longtime University of Houston football coach Bill Yeoman agreed.
"I think by the fact that he got the Oilers here, got us a professional team, got us started, was a debt that the Houston people owe him," Yeoman said.
Kenneth Stanley Adams Jr. was born in Bartlesville, Okla., to the future chief executive of Phillips Petroleum Co., K.S. "Boots" Adams.
His 409 wins were the most of any current NFL owner. He won his 400th career win in the 2011 season finale when his Titans defeated the team that replaced his Oilers in Houston, the Texans. His franchise made 21 playoff appearances in 53 seasons, eighth among NFL teams since 1960.

Adams and his wife Nancy, who died in 2009, were also known for their philanthropy in both Texas and Tennessee.
Adams’ wife, Nancy, died in 2009.
He is survived by daughters Susie Smith and Amy Strunk, and seven grandchildren. Another son, Kenneth Stanley Adams III, died in 1987 at age 29.
Video at Link

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.