March 28, 2024, 05:10:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avonte Oquendo 14 yrs Mute with Autism Last Seen 10/04/13 Long Island City BODY FOUND  (Read 19841 times)
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »

https://twitter.com/NBCNewYork
NBC New York ‏@NBCNewYork 10m

#BREAKING: Body parts found along the East River in Queens matched by DNA to missing teen Avonte Oquendo http://4.nbcny.com/FkJAh3b
View summary

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »

A very sad outcome.    

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 03:16:54 PM »

an angelic monkey

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 06:19:43 PM »

Just horrible, such a precious young man. 

Rest in peace, Avonte.   an angelic monkey

I hope and pray you will have justice.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2014, 06:22:31 PM »

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=9401947

Avonte Oquendo remains identified, officials say
Updated at 05:11 PM today

COLLEGE POINT (WABC) -- DNA has confirmed the remains found in Queens are Avonte Oquendo, the Medical Examiner says. His family has been informed.

Qquendo's mother was notified early Tuesday afternoon, officials said. The cause and manner of death are pending

Attorney David Perecman says he will file the legal claim on behalf of the family of Avonte Oquendo, whose remains were found at the edge of the East River last week. Perecman says Avonte's mother, Vanessa Fontaine, is inconsolable.

The remains found last week along the East River - a left arm and lower torso and legs - were identified through DNA given by his family.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2014, 01:31:04 AM »

Just horrible, such a precious young man. 

Rest in peace, Avonte.   an angelic monkey

I hope and pray you will have justice.

Rest In Peace Avonte an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2014, 07:46:59 AM »

DNA Tests Confirm the Remains Found on Queens side of the East River are that of Missing 14 Year Old Avonte Oquendo

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/01/22/dna-tests-confirm-the-remains-found-on-queens-side-of-the-east-river-are-that-of-missing-14-year-old-avonte-oquendo/

The family is contemplating that they might sue the Department of Education for their negligence in Avonte’s death. Honestly, I can’t blame them one bit, especially when the 14 year old autistic boy who could not communicate with others was supposed to have been supervised at all times.

A gut-wrenching sad outcome to what looks like a situation that should never have occurred. Prayers go out to the grieving family. I am not a sue happy person, but in this case the family would be justified.

There has been such a rash over the past year or so of individuals with autism going missing. Note to adults ... ACT RESPONSIBLE, THEY NEED YOUR HELP!!!

This precious young man deserved so much better. God Bless you Avonte.  an angelic monkey
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2014, 08:49:15 PM »

http://www.ageofautism.com/2014/01/rest-in-peace-avonte-oquendo.html
Rest In Peace Avonte Oquendo
January 22, 2014

Managing Editor's Note: Yesterday a news alert came in - the remains found in NY had been positively identified as Avonte Oquendo, missing 14 year old with autism who ran out of his school unsupervised (but not unseen) by staff.  We've been praying for his return since October 4, when he vanished into thin air - not an easy feat in congested Queens, NY.  Most of us whispered under our breath, "Water, go to the water, he went to the water."  Well, today we have his return - not what we wanted - but as a Mother, I think there must be some comfort in being able to bury your child and know you can still watch over him, even in death. To the Oquendo family, our heartfelt condolences. There but for the grace of God and a stroke of luck go most of us and our precious children.  RIP, Avonte.  Love, Kim  Send condolence cards to:

The Perecman Firm
Attn: The Oquendo Family
250 West 57th Street
4th Floor
New York, NY 10107

More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2014, 08:53:49 PM »

http://pix11.com/2014/01/23/plans-announced-for-funeral-of-avonte-oquendo/
Plans announced for funeral of Avonte Oquendo
January 23, 2014

NEW YORK (PIX11) – The family of Avonte Oquendo has announced plans for the boy’s funeral.

In what will be private ceremonies at both a funeral home and a church, the family will first gather on  Saturday for a wake between  9 and 10:30 a.m. at the Greenwich Village Funeral Home, at 199 Bleecker St. The funeral will follow at the Church of  St. Joseph at 371 Sixth Ave.  from 11 a.m. to noon.

Avonte’s remains will be cremated.

The family will then meet for a lunch at Astoria World Manor to celebrate Avonte’s life.

The public can send condolences by visiting the funeral home’s website. 
Online funeral home's condolence form:
http://greenwichvillagefuneralhome.com/footer_headline/send-condolences-to-a-family/

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/final-rites-set-avonte-oquendo-article-1.1589662
Final rites set after four-month search for Avonte Oquendo ends in tragedy
A wake for the autistic 14-year-old will be held 9 a.m. Saturday at the Greenwich Village Funeral Home on Bleecker St. A funeral Mass for the boy, who went missing in October and whose remains were positively confirmed Tuesday, will take place 11 a.m. at St. Joseph Church on Sixth Ave.
January 23, 2014

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2014, 10:30:42 AM »

http://pix11.com/2014/01/23/doe-refusing-to-release-documents-in-avonte-oquendo-investigation-report/
Avonte Oquendo’s mom suing city to release investigation records
January 24, 2014

NEW YORK (PIX11) — The mother of Avonte Oquendo is suing the city to release investigation records in her son’s disappearance from his Long Island City school.

Vanessa Fontaine filed the suit in Manhattan Supreme Court Wednesday, demanding the NYPD release of internal documents into how Avonte was able to run out of his school and seemingly vanish without a trace.

Avonte was last seen on surveillance video running from the school through an unlocked door last October. The initial investigation found the school waited 45 to an hour after Avonte vanished before contacting his mother or the police.

Fontaine’s original Freedom of Information request was denied, with the Department of Education saying the release would interfere with the investigation and could potentially be an “invasion of privacy” and “endanger the life or safety” of a person.

“All that is sought is information about how Avonte came to be outside of his school unattended. Such information does not give rise to any legitimate concern about the privacy of Avonte,” family attorney David Perecman said.

Perecman told PIX11 Tuesday he believes there is more surveillance video highlighting the school’s negligence that have not been released.

A larger civil lawsuit against the city is expected to be field in Avonte’s death.
More...
Video at Link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2014, 10:34:30 AM »

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=9406939
Funeral services Saturday for Avonte Oquendo
January 25, 2014

Video at Link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2014, 10:37:12 PM »

http://www.foxbaltimore.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/funeral-held-autistic-nyc-boy-vanished-24930.shtml
Funeral Held for Autistic NYC Boy Who Vanished
January 25, 2014

NEW YORK (AP) - Strangers who helped try to find an autistic New York City teen who walked out of his school and disappeared joined his family and friends Saturday for his funeral, somberly marking the tragic end of their three-month search. The former Roman Catholic archbishop of New York, Cardinal Edward Egan, presided over the ceremony at the Church of Saint Joseph as 14-year-old Avonte Oquendo's parents and brothers sat stoically in a front pew, next to a white casket holding the remains pulled from the East River last week. "This morning we are grateful to God for Avonte Oquendo, for his life, for his courage, and for the acts of goodness and kindness that his life and his tragic disappearance evoked among us," Egan said. "We know that he is safely in the embrace of the father in heaven and we thank that father in heaven for the years we had with him in our midst."

A funeral home covered the costs of the funeral and a family-only wake beforehand, where about a hundred relatives sat together in a room full of white flowers watching a slideshow of the teen's photos. "Nobody really wanted to speak," said Roberto Colon, 49, whose wife's cousin is Avonte's mother. "We couldn't fathom what to say." Investigators are still trying to determine how Avonte died and further tests are needed to determine the cause and manner of death, officials have said. The family's lawyer, David Perecman, filed a notice of claim in October, the first step in suing the city, and has publically listed a number of mistakes he alleges contributed to the boy's disappearance and what he has described as a flawed search effort. The city's law department has called the boy's death a tragedy and said its attorneys will review a lawsuit when it's filed.
More...
Read More at: http://www.foxbaltimore.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/funeral-held-autistic-nyc-boy-vanished-24930.shtml

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2014, 06:45:28 PM »

http://theforumnewsgroup.com/2014/01/31/after-avonte-oquendo-tragedy-feds-agree-to-fund-tracking-program-for-children-with-autism/
AFTER AVONTE OQUENDO TRAGEDY, FEDS AGREE TO FUND TRACKING PROGRAM FOR CHILDREN WITH AUTISM
January 31, 2014

The U.S. Department of Justice agreed Wednesday to fund voluntary tracking devices for children with autism who are prone to fleeing caregivers and schools, U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) announced.

The new plan comes after Schumer pushed for it following the death of Avonte Oquendo, a 14-year-old teen with autism who disappeared from his Long Island City school in October and whose remains were discovered in College Point about two weeks ago.

“The sights and sounds of NYC and other busy places can be overstimulating and distracting for children and teens with autism, often leading to wandering as ways to escape,” said Schumer, who stressed that the program would be entirely voluntary for parents. “Voluntary tracking devices will help our teachers and parents in the event that the child runs away and, God forbid, goes missing. [The] DOJ already funds these devices for individuals with Alzheimer’s, and they have done the right thing in deciding to the do the same for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.”

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder made the commitment to the tracking program during a Congressional hearing this morning, following an announcement earlier this week that Schumer would introduce “Avonte’s Law” to create and fund an entirely new grant program with the DOJ that would provide this type of funding.

Autism Speaks President Liz Feld said that the “tragic fate of Avonte Oquendo hit home with parents in New York and across the country.

“The incidence of wandering has reached frightening levels and individuals with autism are especially vulnerable,” Feld continued. ‘We need to raise awareness and increase education so that tragedies like this never happen again.”

According to a study conducted by the Interactive Autism Network and AWAARE, 49 percent of children and teens with autism attempt to run or wander. Of those, 53 percent of the children were missing long enough to cause serious concern.

According to AWAARE and the National Autism Association, of the individuals who run, 74 percent run from their own home or someone else house, 40 percent wander from stores, and 29 percent from schools. Close calls with traffic injuries were reported for 65 percent of the missing children, and close calls with drowning were reported for 24 percent.

Tracking technology includes personal locating devices that can be worn as non-tampering wristwatches, anklets, or clipped onto belt loops or shoelaces. When users of the device are missing, the caregiver or school system can notify the device company and a trained emergency team responds to the area.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2014, 09:06:51 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2548245/Tragic-new-video-shows-moment-dead-autistic-teen-Avonte-Oquendo-runs-school-doors-left-ajar-30-minutes.html
Revealed: The moment tragic autistic teen Avonte ran out of school through doors that were left ajar for 30 minutes
January 29, 2014

*  The surveillance video captures the 14-year-old autistic boy escaping from his Queens school only to turn up dead in the East River months later
*  An energetic Avonte is seen in the footage bounding down the halls of his Long Island City special needs school and out of the double doors
*  Half an hour earlier, an unidentified man exits, carelessly leaving them ajar
*  Three minutes after Avonte disappears, a security guard noticed the doors are open and pulls them shut

Story, videos and photos...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2014, 09:09:03 PM »

http://www.ny1.com/content/news/202925/avonte-oquendo-s-family-thanks-volunteers-for-support
Avonte Oquendo’s Family Thanks Volunteers for Support
February 2, 2014

With the Whitestone Bridge as a backdrop, they held hands in College Point Saturday to remember a life lost too soon. The pain was still visible on the faces of Avonte Oquendo's family.

Despite that, they wanted to personally thank everyone who prayed and searched for their 14-year-old boy.

"We just came out here to give thanks to everybody for the support and for the love,” said Daniel Oquendo, Avonte’s father.

Video at Link

Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.