March 28, 2024, 06:52:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 Year Old Heather Elvis Missing Since 12/17/13 in Myrtle Beach, SC (2 convictions/kidnapping) no body  (Read 130915 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2014, 10:56:10 PM »

http://www.wbtw.com/story/25684410/couple-already-charged-in-heather-elvis-disappearance-now-face-new-allegations

Couple already charged in Heather Elvis' disappearance now face new allegations
Posted: Jun 03, 2014 4:25 PM CST Updated: Jun 03, 2014 4:30 PM CST
By WBTW News Staff

CONWAY, SC - The couple who are already charged in the kidnapping and death of a 20-year-old Myrtle Beach woman are now facing more charges.

Tammy and Sidney Moorer, of Myrtle Beach, are now charged with Medicaid fraud, according to the J. Reuben Long Detention Center website.

The charges that were filed most recently were by the SC Attorney General’s Office, according to Horry County officials.

That charge is "false statement on application for Medicaid assistance."

The pair are currently being held in J. Reuben Long Detention Center.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2014, 11:16:55 PM »

http://www.wistv.com/story/25684010/moorers-charged-with-2-crimes

Moorers charged with Medicaid fraud
Posted: Jun 03, 2014 3:46 PM CST Updated: Jun 03, 2014 4:20 PM CST
By Brooke Holden - email

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - Tammy and Sidney Moorer, the couple charged with the murder of Heather Elvis, were served warrants Tuesday for allegedly misrepresenting their income to qualify for substantial Medicaid benefits for their family.

Both Moorers have been charged with obtaining signature or property under false pretenses and false statement for application for Medicaid assistance, according to the arrest warrants.

They are accused of concealing or failing to disclose to Medicaid the true household and financial status between January 2007 and March 2013, which caused the Moorers to receive Medicaid benefits they were not entitled to receive. "The value of these benefits were over $10,000," according to investigators.

The couple misrepresented the true financial household status by failing to disclose the income generated by the couple's two businesses, the warrant alleges.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2014, 11:32:19 PM »

From the gallery at the link.

http://www.wbtw.com/story/25684410/couple-already-charged-in-heather-elvis-disappearance-now-face-new-allegations

In the bond hearing, prosecution showed this photo of Sidney and Tammy pointing a gun in a photo taken since Heather Elvis went missing.

In the bond hearing, prosecution showed another photo of Sidney and Tammy pointing a gun in a photo taken since Heather Elvis went missing.

Part of the presentation made by the prosecution in the bond hearing on March 17

Part of the presentation made by the prosecution in the bond hearing on March 17
PHOTOS: Bond hearing for couple charged in Heather Elvis case

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2014, 01:35:59 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/telvis/posts/10152500398549406

Terry Elvis
about an hour ago · Edited
A little and a little, collected together, become a great deal; the heap in the barn consists of single grains, and drop and drop the ocean was formed. Overwhelming is the snowflake when joined by it's brothers in the blizzard.
Time does not heal all wounds and things thought forgotten are usually just waiting out of sight. Man creates his own path against God's plan to his own detriment and things done in darkness will always be revealed by the light.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152385255424406&set=a.445957534405.236118.798489405&type=1&theater

Justice for Heather! 

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2014, 11:33:26 AM »

http://www.islandpacket.com/2014/07/01/3191211/human-remains-found-during-heather.html

Human remains found during Heather Elvis search identified as missing Garden City Beach man

By Tonya Root

troot@thesunnews.comJuly 1, 2014

Human remains found in December during a search for clues about a missing Myrtle Beach area woman have been identified as those of a 47-year-old man who had been missing since July 4, 2011, according to authorities.

Horry County Chief Deputy Coroner Tamara Willard said Tuesday that the remains discovered Dec. 28 along Tidewater Drive in the Myrtle Beach area have been identified as David Matthew Mino.

The 47-year-old was reported missing Aug. 15, 2011 by his sister after he had not been seen since July 4 of that year, according to an Horry County police report. Mino had lived alone in a mobile home in Garden City Beach, while the rest of his family lived out of the area.

On Tuesday, Willard said the manner of Mino’s death remains under investigation and Horry County police are looking into the incident.

Horry County police Lt. Robert Kegler said since the means of Mino’s death remain unknown, detectives continue to investigate his disappearance and death.

“A yellow moped that David was operating at the time of his disappearance remains missing,” Kegler said Tuesday.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2014, 11:38:04 AM »

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/25924942/myrtle-beach-area-man-indicted-in-heather-elvis-related-case

Myrtle Beach area man indicted in Heather Elvis related case
Posted: Jul 02, 2014 9:05 AM CST Updated: Jul 02, 2014 9:05 AM CST

William Christopher Barrett (left) and Garrett Ryan Starnes (right) were charged with obstructing justice on Jan. 28 after police said in a report they interfered with the Heather Elvis investigation. (Source: MyHorryNews.com)

From WMBF News Partner MyHorryNews.com:

A Carolina Forest area man once again is facing charges in connection with the Heather Elvis missing persons case.

Garrett Starnes, 26, of the 600 block of Flintlake Court, was indicted on an obstruction of justice charge on May 22, according to court records obtained by Waccamaw Publishers.

"Garrett Ryan Starnes did in Horry County on or about January 19, 2014, intentionally do an act which prevented, obstructed, impeded, or hindered the administration of justice, in violation of the Common Law offense of obstruction of justice," the indictment states.

Starnes had been charged with obstructing justice on Jan. 28, according to an arrest warrant served on that date. An Horry County judge dismissed the charge on April 10 after the charging officer failed to show for a preliminary hearing at the time because he thought the case had been continued, according to the solicitor's office.

Donna Elder, the assistant senior solicitor handling the case, couldn't be reached for comment as of press time.

Jimmy Richardson, solicitor for the 15th Judicial Circuit, said he couldn't say why Starnes was indicted because it's Elder's case, but he said in general it's becoming more common for prosecutors to directly indict defendants when a magistrate dismisses a case.

With a direct indictment, a prosecutor presents the case directly to the Horry County grand jury. It takes eight of 12 jurors to decide to indict for the case to move forward, Richardson said.

"They [cases] are rarely dismissed at a preliminary hearing," he said. "It was quite a shock."

The arrest warrant stated that on Jan. 19, the suspect provided and created "false information regarding the disappearance of Heather Elvis.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2014, 05:50:39 PM »

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/heather_elvis/article_c27b4160-1377-11e4-b85f-0017a43b2370.html

Court filing offers clues into trial of Tammy Moorer in Heather Elvis case

Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 5:16 pm | Updated: 9:47 am, Fri Jul 25, 2014.

By Michael Smith michael.smith@myhorrynews.com | 0 comments

Myrtle Beach attorney Greg McCollum recently filed a four-page motion seeking access to a wide variety of documents, witnesses and physical evidence related to the Heather Elvis case, according to court documents.

Filed June 10, the motion is the first step of the discovery process in the trial of Sidney and Tammy Moorer, who face murder charges in connection with Elvis’ disappearance on Dec. 18, 2013.

McCollum, who’s representing Tammy Moorer, asked for all police reports, tangible objects obtained by police or that the state plans to introduce into evidence at trial, and access to all witnesses who have knowledge of facts not favorable to Tammy Moorer.

In addition, the motion seeks results of “laboratory tests, scientific tests, or physical examinations conducted in connection with this case.”

Examples include analysis of handwriting, photographs secured of the crime scene, comparison of finger prints, hair samples and body fluids, the motion states.

A gag order that’s been imposed in the case prohibits prosecutors and defense attorneys from discussing the case.

In his motion, McCollum said “the information is requested on the grounds that it is essential to insure the Defendant’s right to a fair trial, the right to confrontation of witnesses, the right to effective Counsel and due process of law guaranteed by the South Carolina Constitution.”

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2014, 06:02:20 PM »

Thanks for all the up dates texasmom.  It's over whelming how many young women go missing and are killed. I hope Heathers family & loved ones see justice for her death.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2014, 10:21:57 PM »

Thanks for all the up dates texasmom.  It's over whelming how many young women go missing and are killed. I hope Heathers family & loved ones see justice for her death.

You're welcome Green Eyes, and I agree it is overwhelming.  I hope they can find Heather and see justice for her too.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2014, 10:30:11 PM »

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_c3ea7428-1848-11e4-bb56-001a4bcf6878.html

Florida remains wrapped in bathrobe, curtains and Mickey Mouse bed sheet, report says

Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:15 pm | Updated: 6:37 pm, Fri Aug 1, 2014.

By Michael Smith michael.smith@myhorrynews.com |

A new report about human remains found in Florida says the remains belonged to an adult and were skeletal in nature, but there still are no indications whether or not they belong to Heather Elvis.

"We’ve been in contact with Horry County Police as well as many other agencies regarding this case and the possibility of the remains matching missing persons in their respective jurisdictions," said Gary Davidson, spokesman for the Volusia County Sheriff's Office, which is investigating the remains.

"I’m not willing to say when the contacts took place with Horry County Police or the nature of the discussions," Davidson said.

Horry County police are prohibited from commenting on the report due to a local gag order that's been imposed in the Heather Elvis case.

Local prosecutors and defense attorneys are also not allowed to speak because of the gag order.

Prepared on Tuesday, July 29, the preliminary report from the Volusia County (Fla.) Medical Examiner's Office lists new information about the state the remains were in when they were found.

According to the report, the remains were wrapped in a pink bathrobe, curtains and a homemade Mickey Mouse print bed sheet.

Davidson said the remains have not been identified. He declined to say whether the clothing and linens found with the remains are still in the possession of Volusia County authorities or whether they’ve been shared with other police agencies.

Horry County police contacted the Volusia County Sheriff's Office in March about the remains to determine whether there’s any connection to the Heather Elvis case.

The remains captured the attention of Horry County police because the Moorers frequently visited Orlando, Fla., which is close to DeLand.

The Moorers vacationed in Walt Disney World in January, about three weeks after Elvis disappeared and a month before police took them into custody on Feb. 21.

They also looked into possibly buying property in the Sunshine State, according to statements made during court proceedings.

Davidson said The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is performing DNA analysis of the remains found in DeLand, Fla., though he couldn’t say how long that process would take.

“The bottom line is that there hasn’t been a confirmed match to any known cases and the identity of our victim is still unknown at this time,” Davidson said.

On March 20, a bystander discovered the remains along a road just outside of DeLand, Fla., which is about 40 miles north of Orlando and 58 miles from Walt Disney World.

According to the report, the remains belong to an adult of unknown age. The report is also unsure of the race, ethnicity and gender of the victim.

Body conditions were classified in the report as "not recognizable" and as a "near complete or complete skeleton."

The person's weight and height could not be estimated, nor did the report state when the victim had died.

Fingerprint information was not available and there were no other distinctive body features found, the report continued.

According to police and medical records, the remains were found on Oak Street near International Boulevard in the DeLand area.

The sheriff's office report says the remains were in a garbage bag. Upon moving the bag, the bystander discovered what appeared to be human remains, the report said.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2014, 02:17:19 AM »

thanks txmom

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_a3af4ef8-21ae-11e4-a33a-001a4bcf6878.html

Livesay named lead prosecutor in Heather Elvis case, trial possible by wintertime

Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:15 am

A new attorney is taking over the legal reins in the trial of Sidney and Tammy Moorer.

Jimmy Richardson, solicitor for the 15th Judicial Circuit, confirmed Monday that assistant solicitor Nancy Livesay is now the lead prosecutor in the Moorer murder trial.

Richardson said the transfer took place about two weeks ago.

Livesay takes over for senior assistant solicitor Donna Elder, who’s been handling the case since the Moorers were charged in February in connection with the disappearance of Heather Elvis.

Elder will still assist Livesay in the Elvis case and participate in future hearings as necessary, he said.

“It’s going to take a little time for [Elder] to catch [Livesay] up to speed, but it’s not going to be the drain on [Elder] that it was before,” Richardson said. “It’s going to be fine. We still plan to move forward with the same timeline."

Livesay graduated from Campbell University law school in 2005, and was admitted to the South Carolina Bar on June 6, 2006, according to the S.C. Supreme Court website.

Most recently, she was the prosecuting attorney in the murder trial of Joshua Blake Griffith, who in January 2014 was convicted of murder in connection with a 2009 stabbing death at a Myrtle Beach area nightclub.

Read more in the Aug. 14 edition of the Carolina Forest Chronicle.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_5dfdaea6-2a12-11e4-93d5-0017a43b2370.html

DNA analysis of remains found in Florida complete, findings inconclusive

Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 11:38 am | Updated: 5:48 pm, Fri Aug 22, 2014.

DNA testing has been completed on human remains recently found in Florida that attracted the attention of Horry County police investigating the disappearance of Heather Elvis, according to a Florida law enforcement agency.

But the findings are creating more questions than answers since the remains still have not been positively unidentified.

After performing DNA analysis of the remains, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement said results of the analysis were inconclusive, and recommended further testing by a national expert, said Samantha Andrews, an agency spokeswoman.

"FDLE completed our analysis and returned the results to the Volusia County Sheriff's Office," Andrews said via email. "It is my understanding that we were not able to make any positive identification."

The remains were sent to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for DNA analysis after separate autopsies were performed by the Volusia County Medical Examiner's Office and University of Florida in Gainesville, Fla., a sheriff's office spokesman said.

On March 20, a man walking in DeLand, Fla. found skeletal human remains along the side of a road not far from the I-4 corridor between Daytona Beach and Orlando.

Horry County police investigating the Heather Elvis case contacted Volusia County authorities shortly after the remains were found.

Horry County police have said they can't explain why, citing a Circuit Court judge's gag order, though Volusia County authorities confirmed Horry County police did contact them about the Elvis case after the remains were found.

The Moorers vacationed in the Orlando area in January, three weeks after Elvis disappeared on Dec. 18, 2013, and six weeks before they were charged on Feb. 21.

Elvis, who was 20 years old when she disappeared, still has not been found.

Gary Davidson, spokesman for the Volusia County Sheriff's Office, declined to comment Friday regarding the DNA analysis.

In Florida, autopsy results are considered public information, but Davidson cited an exemption in that state's law that he said allows law enforcement agencies to not release autopsy findings during active criminal investigations.

"We won’t be releasing any additional records while the investigation is still ongoing," Davidson said via email. "Sorry, wish I had something more for you, but there just isn’t anything new that we can release at this time."

A preliminary report about the Florida remains has been published on the National Unidentified Missing Persons Data System (NamUS) website, which is part of the U.S. Department of Justice.

The NamUS report classified the remains as belonging to an adult. The report couldn't determine the victim's race and gender, nor could it estimate the victim's age at time of death or how long the remains had been there.

Other identifying features such as height and weight also couldn't be estimated, according to the report.

The report did describe body conditions as "not recognizable" and as a "near complete or complete skeleton."

The body was wrapped in a pink bath robe, curtains and a homemade Mickey Mouse print bed sheet, the NamUS report continued.

A Volusia County Sheriff's Office incident report said a man walking just outside the city limits of DeLand, Fla. found the remains in a trash bag.

"While cleaning the roadway he observed a garbage bag on the side of Oak St [sic] just north of the intersection of Oak St [sic] and International Speedway Blvd., Deland," the report said. "Upon moving the bag he discovered it contained what appeared to be human remains."

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2014, 11:29:35 PM »

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/27405349/wmbf-news-special-report-holding-onto-hope-for-heather?page=full&N=F

WMBF News Special Report: Holding onto hope for Heather
Posted: Nov 17, 2014 11:18 AM CST
Updated: Nov 17, 2014 9:48 PM CST
By Brooke Holden

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Eleven months have passed since Heather Elvis was reported missing in Myrtle Beach.

As the trial date for the two suspects charged with Heather's murder draws closer, WMBF News Anchor Michael Maely sat down with her parents.

Terry and Debbi Elvis shared their feelings on the trial and the painful wait for answers.

It has been 11 agonizing months, since Terry and Debbi Elvis have seen their daughter, Heather.

“It just gets worse; every day for me is harder,” Debbi said. “I never thought it could possibly be harder than it was, but it's harder.” “In so many different ways it's harder.”

“It's hard, every day's hard, every night's twice as hard,” Terry shared.

Their pain for the loss of their daughter, made worse, by the uncertainty of what happened to the 20-year-old last December, when Heather's car was left at Peachtree Boat Landing.

Nearly two months later, without the discovery of a body, authorities arrested Tammy and Sidney Moorer, charging the couple with Heather's kidnapping and murder.

Michael: Walk me through, what went through your mind when Tammy and Sidney were charged with Heather's murder.

Terry: The word itself [murder] is almost impossible for me to use, I was relieved that someone was going to be held accountable, and I was distressed over what they were being held accountable for.

Faith tells you to hold onto hope, the charges tell you, there is no hope.

Debbi: The first thing that went through my mind is that they were quitting, they were giving up. They weren't gonna look anymore, that this was it and that wasn't the case. So, I'm grateful that they haven't given up looking, they're still determined to look [for evidence.]

Michael: If you want authorities to get as much evidence as they can, you also have to accept that they have to find Heather.

Debbi: I don't want them to find that Heather has been murdered, but I don't want them to find that she's still alive in some hell hole somewhere, which one would be worse? So what do you hope for? So, we're just hanging on that they find answers.

Terry: I want answers, but I'm deathly afraid of getting them. I know that I want them, I know that I need them, but I don't want the one that they have. It's human nature not to want that. So, the struggle is there for me daily, it's every night when I go to bed.

That struggle, evident with every call from authorities.

Last month, police in Florida said remains found there did not appear to be Heather's.

Terry and Debbi said the police's discovery was relief, but it was also scary.

“It's scary, because it could have been [Heather,] but it also hurts, because it's somebody else, it's still somebody,” Terry said.

“It makes you know there's another family out there that somebody has stolen their child away and they didn't know where she was until now and you're glad that now they know, but now, they know,” Debbie explained.

“There are certain things that I know I don't need to know,” Terry said. “I know we as a family don't need to know yet,” he continued.

“There's certain things I wish we didn't know,” Debbi admitted.

“But those things will be revealed to us when they need to be,” Terry said.

“And all those things don't matter until they're put into context of the trial,” Debbi added.

“As long as the defense attorneys are privy to all of it, there should be no problems with the trial itself and also with Heather's investigation and finding her and where she is, I don't want that impeded at all,” Debbi said. “I don't want somebody's nosiness getting in the way of them finding my daughter.”

And without the discovery of Heather, Terry and Debbi say any potential conviction for Heather's murder, won't bring them what they say they need.

“I need to know what happened, to have any closure, we need to know,” Terry admitted. “If convicted, there's nothing to lose and everything to gain.”

“Even if it wasn't to have some sort of sway on sentencing, just for doing the right thing, just for showing there's some humanity still, inside of a person. I hope for that and I pray for that,” Terry admitted.

“Best case scenario is somebody confesses to where [Heather] is and what happened, before it even goes to trial,” Debbi said.

With a confession, the Elvis family wouldn't have to go through the trial, their children wouldn't have to suffer through that.

Meanwhile, as the twelfth month approaches since they heard their daughter's voice or saw her smile, they simply can't fully give up all hope. The Christmas tree and gifts still standing as proof.

“How do we process that she could be gone?” Debbi asked. “If I were able to process that, her presents wouldn't still be there,” she admitted. “But they're still there and as long as they're there, there's hope.”

But beneath that hope, is very raw reality, the most likely best news they could get, is the worst news any parent could imagine.

“With Heather, no matter where she is, or what happened, I can't take care of her, I can't do anything for her and that's what's so horrible, is I'm supposed to and I can't,” Debbi cried.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2014, 07:11:03 AM »

from above article:

But beneath that hope, is very raw reality, the most likely best news they could get, is the worst news any parent could imagine.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2014, 11:26:49 PM »

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_28856b52-798f-11e4-954d-0bea19388738.html

Horry County newspaper files motion that contests sealing of court documents in Heather Elvis case

Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 2:20 pm | Updated: 3:02 pm, Mon Dec 1, 2014.
By Michael Smith michael.smith@myhorrynews.com

Waccamaw Publishers is challenging in court another component of the Heather Elvis case.

Jay Bender, attorney for Waccamaw Publishers, filed a motion with the Horry County Clerk of Court’s office seeking to intervene.

Filed Dec. 1, the motion opposes an effort by prosecutors to seal court documents in the Elvis case.

A court date to hear arguments hasn’t been set.

Bender said Waccamaw Publishers filed the motion to ensure transparency in judicial filings and proceedings related to the Heather Elvis case.

The state and federal constitutions require open courts, and that requirement extends to judicial documents, he said.

“The public has confidence when the public can observe the operation of judicial institutions,” Bender said. “If you close the public out of the process, the outcome will always be questioned.”

Jimmy Richardson, solicitor for the 15th Judicial Circuit, whose office filed the motion to seal court records, couldn’t be reached for comment Monday.

Richardson has previously said the motion was filed after seeking guidance from Circuit Court Judge Steven John, who’s the chief administrative judge in the Elvis case.

In the spring, Judge John issued a gag order prohibiting prosecutors, defense attorneys and other trial participants from making extrajudicial statements in the Heather Elvis case.

At issue in the Waccamaw Publishers motion is an Oct. 3 filing by assistant solicitor Nancy Livesay, who became the lead prosecutor in the Elvis case in late July.

Livesay’s motion says a second motion she’s preparing to file contains information that falls under the Elvis case gag order.

“If said information and statements were made public, the State fears both the State’s and the Defendant’s right to a fair and impartial trial may be adversely effected [sic],” the motion states.

Waccamaw Publishers’ motion to intervene contests that position.

“Here we have two people in jail and an outstanding attempt to keep the process secret, including a magistrate who has disregarded the law with respect to court records and a judge who’s issued a gag order,” Bender said.

“No matter the outcome of this prosecution, the public will be skeptical unless the public has the opportunity to see its institutions working fairly with the rules applied even-handedly for everybody,” Bender continued.

Livesay’s motion says documents should be filed under seal to ensure a fair and impartial jury, and ultimately a fair and impartial trial.

“The State will ask for an Order of this Court to file a motion under seal, effectively restricting access to said motion to the Court and parties of this case,” Livesay’s motion states.

Waccamaw Publishers’ motion to intervene is in addition to an appeal the newspaper group filed April 3.

The newspaper group’s appeal sought access to search warrants issued in the Elvis case, as well as any returns from those warrants.

It was filed after Horry County magistrate Aaron Butler denied the newspaper’s request for the warrants through a representative in his office in February and on official letterhead on March.

Bender argued for the release of search warrants on behalf of Waccamaw Publishers at a hearing Nov. 13, but Judge John later ruled against the newspaper group.

In his order, John said the appeal was improper because remedy wasn’t first sought in magistrate court.

Waccamaw Publishers argued that Butler’s letter denying access constituted a final determination.

The newspaper group is currently reviewing its legal options.

Richardson, the 15th Judicial Circuit solicitor, has said he hopes the Moorers will be tried in March 2015.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2015, 06:31:46 PM »

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/27750134/defense-team-files-motion-to-reduce-bond-in-heather-elvis-case

Defense team files motion to reduce bond in Heather Elvis case

Posted: Jan 02, 2015 5:11 PM CST
Updated: Jan 02, 2015 5:11 PM CST
By Brooke HoldenCONNECT

Sidney Moorer is charged with murdering and kidnapping Heather Elvis.

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - A motion has been filed to reduce bond for the man charged with the murder of missing woman Heather Elvis.

According to the motion filed by Kirk Truslow, attorney for Sidney Moorer, “the defense would show that a reconsideration of the bond decision is warranted at the present time. Defense counsel has had the opportunity to review the discovery provided.”

The motion was filed December 30 and states, “the discovery provided not only contradicts the State's representations at the initial bond hearing, but further establishes that Sidney Moorer could not be legally convicted of the crimes charged.”

Moorer was arrested February 21, 2014.

In March, Sidney Moorer and wife, Tammy, were indicted by the Grand Jury in Horry County for the murder of Elvis.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2015, 06:34:12 PM »

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/27749266/trial-date-set-for-heather-elvis-murder-case

Trial date set for Heather Elvis murder case
Posted: Jan 02, 2015 3:08 PM CST
Updated: Jan 02, 2015 3:16 PM CST
By WMBF News StaffCONNECT

Tammy and Sidney Moorer have been charged with the murder of Heather Elvis.

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - A trial date has been set for the murder case of Heather Elvis.

The trial against Tammy and Sidney Moorer is scheduled for May 11, according to a scheduling order filed by the office of Solicitor Jimmy Richardson.

“I'm glad they finally set a date, it appears it's going to move forward...but, the main thing we're hoping for is the same as always, that answers will come out and we'll find out where our daughter is,” said Terry Elvis, father of Heather.

A deadline for May 1 has been set for the defense and the state to provide a witness list for the case, the order states.

A request to summon 800 jurors for the murder trial of Heather Elvis has been scheduled May 11.

Judge R. Markley Dennis, Jr., of Moncks Corner, will preside over the case.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2015, 10:23:54 AM »

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/27750134/defense-team-files-motion-to-reduce-bond-in-heather-elvis-case

Defense team files motion to reduce bond in Heather Elvis case

Posted: Jan 02, 2015 5:11 PM CST
Updated: Jan 02, 2015 5:11 PM CST
By Brooke HoldenCONNECT

Sidney Moorer is charged with murdering and kidnapping Heather Elvis.

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - A motion has been filed to reduce bond for the man charged with the murder of missing woman Heather Elvis.

According to the motion filed by Kirk Truslow, attorney for Sidney Moorer, “the defense would show that a reconsideration of the bond decision is warranted at the present time. Defense counsel has had the opportunity to review the discovery provided.”

The motion was filed December 30 and states, “the discovery provided not only contradicts the State's representations at the initial bond hearing, but further establishes that Sidney Moorer could not be legally convicted of the crimes charged.”

Moorer was arrested February 21, 2014.

In March, Sidney Moorer and wife, Tammy, were indicted by the Grand Jury in Horry County for the murder of Elvis.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_59c6602e-9521-11e4-8eec-3ba606d82675.html

Sidney Moorer's defense attorney files motion seeking bond hearing in Elvis case

Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 4:25 pm | Updated: 9:57 am, Thu Jan 15, 2015.
By Michael Smith Michael.smith@myhorrynews.com |

Moorer has been jailed since Feb. 21, when Horry County police raided his home in the early morning hours.

Search warrants and returns previously obtained by Waccamaw Publishers show police seized a variety of cell phones, video game systems and other belongings capable of making recordings.

Police also seized a mannequin torso and two shotguns, though the weapons were returned a day later, records show.

Moorer previously had bond denied during a hearing in March 2014, though Circuit Court Judge Steven John said at the time both defendants could seek bond reconsideration at a later date.

Tammy Moorer requested a second bond hearing in April 2014 on the grounds that she was pregnant.

Donna Elder, a prosecuting attorney at the time, questioned whether the pregnancy was legitimate, noting that Moorer refused medical attention and didn’t take prenatal vitamins.

Judge John denied bond, and ordered jail staff to closely monitor her medical condition and document whether she refused medical attention.

Tammy Moorer lost the baby a short time later, her family members said in a December news interview.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2015, 11:59:27 AM »

http://www.wbtw.com/story/27919202/tammy-moorer

Tammy Moorer 'looking forward' to murder trial, her attorney says
Posted: Jan 22, 2015 7:09 PM CST
Updated: Jan 22, 2015 10:46 PM CST

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - A Horry County wife charged in the death and disappearance of a young woman who had a relationship with her husband is  “looking forward to appearing in court,” her attorney told News13 Thursday.

Tammy Moorer, age 42, and her husband Sidney Moorer, age 38, are both charged with the death of Heather Elvis, a Myrtle Beach 20-year-old who disappeared in December 2013.

Elvis has still not been found, although detectives closed a road near the Moorer's house just last week for a search.

Tammy Moorer's attorney, Greg McCollum, spoke Thursday after news came that a new bond hearing would be held for the pair next Friday in Charleston.

McCollum told News13 that his client is prepared for the trial, which is scheduled to begin May 11. 

“…we're ready to go” McCollum said.  “She's looking forward to having her defense heard and all the things that happen in a trial. So we are anxious and ready and willing to begin the trial."

McCollum said that the legal preparation for a trial – in which 800 possible jurors are expected to be called -- is also well underway.

"With the exception of just a very few minor things, we're ready. We know what the case is. We know what the evidence is. We know what the state's position will be."

McCollum talked to WBTW after 15th Solicitor Jerry Richardson announced Thursday that a new bond hearing is planned for Jan. 30 in Charleston.  (Click here to read related story)

McCollum welcomes the idea as both Tammy and her husband Sidney Moorer are held without bond.

“Certainly we want to take every opportunity possible to see certainly from our point of view that we would like for Tammy to be released on bond. And so any opportunity we have to do that, we're certainly going to take advantage of that."

The original bond hearing revealed many details about the case that police alleged – including unflattering texts and emails between the married couple to and about Heather Elvis.

One message, allegedly from Tammy Moorer, confronted Heather Elvis: “To Heather.. someone's about to get their a-- beat down...”  was part of one of many messages presented by officials in the last hearing in March 2014.

“In the initial bond hearing, the case had just begun, and the judge denied the bond,” McCollum said. “And he specifically left a provision in there that we would be able to come back – after everyone had a chance to review the evidence, prepare the case and look at it, and that option was available.”

During next Friday's bond hearing appearance, McCollum also wants to have a judge remove the gag order that severely limits information about the case from being discussed by officials to the public.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.