March 29, 2024, 05:03:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Olivia Marie Coats (12/28/13-1/2/14) Parents Wish to Ban Forceps Deliveries  (Read 5750 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« on: January 05, 2014, 05:24:49 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the proper area to post this in, if the mods think it should be in another area please move it.  TIA

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/texas-family-alleges-forceps-delivery-crushed-babys-skull/story?id=21410615

Forceps Delivery Crushed Baby's Skull, Caused Death, Family Alleges
Jan. 3, 2014
By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES
via Good Morning America

Olivia Marie Coats lived for five days after her parents allege a forceps delivery crushed her little skull and caused brain death. Now, they have launched a Facebook campaign to stop the use of forceps in all births.

Allen Coats, 25, and his fiancee Rachel Melancon, 24, say they will sue their obstetrician, Dr. George T. Backardjiev, but not The Medical Center of Southeast Texas, where their daughter was born on Dec. 28. The baby was transferred that day to Houston's Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital, which confirmed the baby died on Jan. 2.

Coats, a pipe fitter and the baby's father, told ABCNews.com, "I can't bring it to myself to talk to people at the moment -- sorry."

"We're not mad at hospital, this is not their fault. It is one man's fault," Angie Coats, the baby's grandmother told ABCNews.com. "We only want justice for Olivia; we want the person responsible, which is the doctor. We don't want the hospital being shunned. The hospital is great. The nurses were wonderful. It's not their fault."

Angie Coats said the young parents were devastated by the loss. She said the parents had repeatedly asked the doctor to perform a cesarean in advance of the Christmas Day due date because of the large size of the baby, but he refused.

"Rachel had a normal, healthy pregnancy and the day she went in to see if she could be induced, it was already after Christmas," she told ABCNews.com. "The baby was so gigantic inside of her. She asked, 'Can you please give me a C-section? This baby isn't coming out of me.'"

Olivia weighed 7 pounds, 14.9 ounces and 22 inches long at birth.

Angie Coats, 43, of Bridge City, Texas, said her daughter-in-law was "itty bitty" -- 4-feet-11 and 95 pounds -- before she was pregnant.

"[Backardjiev] said, 'No, you don't want a C-section. You'll have a scar," said Coats, who was present at the birth. "During her delivery, the baby's heart rate kept going up. He said, 'One more hour, one more hour.' Her water broke, but it was 18 hours until the delivery. [Rachel] was running a 103 fever... Five hours passed, then he came in and she started to push. But she was so worn out and the baby wasn't even in the birth canal."

Coats alleges that the baby was face up and Backardjiev tried unsuccessfully to turn her with his hands.

"When he couldn't do that, he took the small forceps to try to pull the baby out. He kept going and even put his foot up on the bed trying to pull," she said. "He was turning and twisting and she would never come out. He put the forceps one way and the other. When he touched the top and side of the skull, we heard a pop, like clay cracking in pottery and heard her skull crush."

Olivia was ultimately delivered by emergency C-section, according to the family, but they allege it was too late. "My son said, 'I don't think my baby is alive.' She was not breathing and she never cried," said Angie Coats.

She said the medical staff told the family the baby was alive and would be transferred to Hermann Hospital.

But once the family arrived at Hermann, they allege that doctors told them Olivia was not breathing on her own and had suffered "numerous skull fractures."

A spokesman for Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital said Olivia was transferred by Life Flight to its neonatal intensive care unit on the day of the birth. The hospital expressed its "deepest sympathies" to the family, but said patient privacy rules prevented it from commenting on the case.

Angie Coats said that the family was by Olivia's side at Hermann Hospital at her death.

"They took her off life support and it took two to three hours for her heart to stop as my son lay in the room," she said. "I gave her a bath and they took her down to the morgue."

The family has urged others to call for an end to forceps deliveries nationwide. So far, their Facebook page has garnered 55,000 "likes."

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 05:31:39 PM »

http://www.12newsnow.com/story/24351054/staff-of-doctor-who-delivered-baby-olivia-respond-to-death-of-infant

Staff of doctor who delivered baby Olivia responds to death of infant

Posted: Jan 02, 2014 5:28 PM CST
By Jared Hinson - email

We're learning more about the doctor who delivered Olivia Coats, the Nederland newborn who died Wednesday after complications during delivery.

Staff member of Dr. George Backardjiev verified to 12News that he was the OBGYN who delivered the baby five days ago.

Family members blame the use of forceps for the death.

Backardjiev is a licensed physician in Texas and in Illinois and according to online records, there have been no complaints or actions taken against him. His office is on Saba Lane in Port Neches.

His staff told us today that Dr. Backardjiev is distraught about the baby's death.

We left a message for his attorney, but have not gotten a reply.

The family blames forceps for crushing Olivia's skull and severing her spinal cord.

She was put on life support and took her last breath Wednesday.

Olivia's family is now calling for a restriction or ban on using forceps, but area doctors say that may move may be a little drastic.

12News visited OBGYN J. Coffy Pieternelle in Beaumont Thursday to get insight on equipment used during deliveries.

According to Dr. Pieternelle, the forceps are used if mothers are fatigued and can't push.

"The head is sort of crowning and just won't come out. Sometimes you can help," said Dr. Pieternelle.

Forceps are also used in an emergency situation. Dr. Pieternelle says it's faster to apply forceps than to perform a Caesarean section.

They're not used often, he says. What's more commonly used are vacuum extractors.

"We can use the vacuum extractor which is a soft cup vacuum cup that sticks to the baby's head , helps guide babies' head under the pelvic bone," said Dr. Pieternelle.

He says both are good instruments if used under the right circumstances.

We don't know the circumstances that led to Olivia's injuries, but this doctor says forceps shouldn't be restricted due to one tragic accident.

"You want to be careful. You don't want to overreact because forceps can be helpful under the right circumstances," said Dr. Pieternelle.

Whenever there is an unexpected outcome in patient care, the hospital brings all involved caregivers together and reviews the circumstances in a comprehensive manner. While patient privacy and peer review restrictions prevent the hospital from commenting specifically, the hospital administration and independent medical staff immediately initiated a review of all aspects of this case.

Our independent medical staff leadership shares in the hospital's commitment to take all necessary actions to understand why this happened."

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:48:38 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/oliviamariecoats

About
This page is set up to let everyone know what is currently going on with Olivia Coats!

http://www.gofundme.com/TheOliviaLaw

Description
Rachel Melancon and her Fiance Allen Coats expected a healthy baby girl, and she was in fact beautiful and flawless. She was also perfectly healthy until Dr. George Backardjehiv decided to use forceps before rushing mom off for an emergency c-section. Olivia Marie Coats was born unable to move or breathe on her own, She was internally damaged by the forceps that Dr.George Backardjehiv used during the birthing procedure. One can only imagine the horror Olivia's parents felt when they found out their perfect little girl was suffering from a fractured skull and severed spinal cord.

Basic Info
Joined Facebook   12/30/2013

Contact Info
Website   http://www.facebook.com/oliviamariecoats

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:52:10 PM »

https://www.change.org/petitions/olivia-marie-coats-pass-the-olivia-law

Olivia Marie Coats: Pass the Olivia Law

Petition by

Brittany Braneff

The use of forceps during birth should be banned do to the death of Olivia Marie Coats, and other known cases of long term effects of the tool (blindness, damage to brain, etc). Olivia's skull was crushed and spine fractured during delivery when her doctor decided to use forceps instead of performing an emergency C-Section. The purpose of this petition is to ban this tool from all states so that this tragic event is never repeated.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=187864484754784&set=pb.186093274931905.-2207520000.1388962880.&type=3&theater

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 06:03:18 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=186133021594597&set=pb.186093274931905.-2207520000.1388963008.&type=3&theater

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »

"There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world."

Rest in peace, baby Olivia.   an angelic monkey

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 08:33:39 PM »

an angelic monkey an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 09:42:09 AM »

It is almost beyond my comprehension the amount of pain these parents are enduring!

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 07:51:08 PM »

http://www.12newsnow.com/story/25345991/autopsy-results-revealed-for-baby-olivia

Autopsy results revealed for Baby Olivia

Posted: Apr 25, 2014 6:18 PM CST Updated: Apr 25, 2014 6:18 PM CST
By Brittany Rainville, Reporter

BRIDGE CITY - The final autopsy report of the infant who died shortly after a forcep-assisted delivery was released today.

Olivia Marie Coats was removed from life support on Jan. 1 at Hermann Memorial Hospital in Houston, four days after her birth. Olivia’s parents blame the use of forceps for her death. 

Autopsy results confirm the infant's cause of death was a result of trauma and fractures to the skull. Results also revealed that “Baby Olivia” had a stroke before she died and that her vertebrae was shifted.

The infant’s mother, Rachel Melancon, said the autopsy results reinforces her belief that Dr. George Backardjiev of Southeast Texas Women’s Health, who used forceps in the delivery, is to blame.

Melancon said now that they have the final autopsy, they plan to move forward with a lawsuit against Dr. Backardjiev, who delivered Olivia.

She said they also plan to move forward with their effort to enact "Olivia’s Law," banning the use of forceps.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 05:37:02 PM »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/couple-waits-months-for-answers-after-daughter-dies-days-after-birth/25669492

Couple waits months for answers after daughter dies days after birth
Houston-area couple heartbroken after losing daughter 4 days after her birth
Author: Irika Sargent, Anchor/Reporter, isargent@kprc.com
Published On: Apr 25 2014 10:05:00 PM CDT   Updated On: Apr 25 2014 11:18:01 PM CDT

HOUSTON -

A young couple is outraged and heartbroken after losing their daughter days after her birth and then being forced to wait months for answers about her death.

Rachel Melancon's daughter Olivia lived just four days. The dreams Melancon and her fiancé Allen Coats had for a life with their little girl are now gone.

“She was the rest of of my life. I felt like my life was over,” said Melancon.

The Medical Center of Southeast Texas said they ended their relationship with the doctor who delivered Olivia about a month after the death, and they are investigating the case.

However, Melancon said her pain did not stop there. She was determined to get an autopsy of Olivia so she could file a complaint against her doctor. However, Melancon said she was forced to wait four months while Memorial Hermann completed the autopsy.

At times, Melancon camped out at the hospital.

“I slept in my car and waited in front of offices overnight for answers,” said Melancon.

Memorial Hermann told Local 2 a clerical error on their part caused the delay and they apologize for adding to the family's grief.

Melancon now has the autopsy report which shows Olivia died from a brain injury caused by a fracture to the skull.

Local 2 contacted the doctor's attorneys, but they declined to comment.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.