April 20, 2024, 05:07:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fees (Taxes?) on Home Heating Oil  (Read 1528 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: February 03, 2014, 12:55:40 AM »

Congress‘ mammoth farm bill restores the imposition of an extra fee on home heating oil, hitting consumers in cold-weather states just as utility costs are spiking.
The fee — two-tenths of a cent on every gallon sold — was tacked on to the end of the 959-page bill, which is winding its way through Capitol Hill. The fee would last for nearly 20 years and would siphon the money to develop equipment that is cheaper, more efficient and safer, and to encourage consumers to update their equipment.

It’s just one of dozens of provisions tucked into the farm bill, which cleared the House on a bipartisan 251-166 vote last week and faces a key filibuster test in the Senate on Monday. It is expected to survive and face final passage Tuesday before heading to President Obama’s desk.

Taxpayer groups say the bill could increase spending over the previous version and that it’s crammed with favors for individual lawmakers, such as rules legalizing industrial hemp.
The heating oil fee was backed by Northeast lawmakers who said it would fund important research to benefit consumers.

“The National Oilheat Research Alliance (NORA) has long benefitted low- and middle-class families and small businesses throughout the Northeast and other cold weather states,” Rep. Leonard Lance, New Jersey Republican, said in a statement. “The program improves energy efficiency and lowers heating bills at no cost to the U.S. taxpayer.”

The bill prohibits oil companies from passing the fee on to consumers, but taxpayer advocates said that’s a sham and that the money has to come from consumers.

read more here http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/2/fee-planted-in-farm-bill-could-increase-costs-of-h/

How much more can oil heat be improved?

Why should the federal government be involved in anyone's heat?  How much was collected and how much actually went into development?  Another corporate welfare plan?  How much does the policing of the oil supply/delivery companies cost?  More money flushed down the toilet?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:29:47 AM »

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
crazybabyborg
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:30:12 PM »

I am really struggling with heating costs this winter. Honestly, I have bent financially until I'm breaking. At some point, people matter and people need to be able to afford to stay warm.
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 06:00:53 AM »

I am really struggling with heating costs this winter. Honestly, I have bent financially until I'm breaking. At some point, people matter and people need to be able to afford to stay warm.

Amen.  A windmill or solar panel just doesn't do it.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.