March 29, 2024, 04:14:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cold Case: Missing Since 1975 - Sisters Sheila Lyon 12, & Katherine Lyon 10  (Read 27653 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 12:54:47 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lyon-sisters-forensic-dig-underway-in-1975-missing-sisters-cold-case/
Forensic dig underway in 1975 missing sisters cold case
January 12, 2015

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 03:31:35 AM »

Interesting. I remember this case.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 08:48:57 PM »

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/lyon-sisters-search-will-cost-bedford-county-more-than-10000/30685000
Lyon sisters search will cost Bedford County more than $10,000
January 13, 2015

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 11:26:28 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/21/police-child-sex-offender-says-left-maryland-mall-with-sisters-on-day-vanished/
Police: Child sex offender says he left Maryland mall with sisters on day they vanished 40 years ago
February 21, 2015

A convicted child sex offender behind bars has told cops he left a suburban Washington mall with a 10-year-old girl and her older sister the day they vanished without a trace 40 years ago.

Lloyd Welch, a “person of interest” in the disappearance of the two girls, also told cold case detectives that the next day he saw his uncle sexually assaulting one of the girls, the Washington Post reported Saturday.

The Post cited search warrant affidavits that reveal for the first time how detectives linked the 58-year-old Welch to the missing girls, Katherine Lyon, 10 and Sheila Lyon, 12. The girls were last seen having pizza at the Wheaton Plaza mall in Maryland on March 25, 1975.

The newly unsealed affidavits say detectives interviewed Welch in a Delaware prison where he is serving a 30-year sentence in connection with the sexual assault of a 10 year-old girl. He pleaded guilty to that charge in 1998. His rap sheet also shows a prior child sexual assault conviction in South Carolina in 1994.

“During these interviews, Lloyd Welch has admitted he left Wheaton Plaza in a vehicle with the Lyon sisters on the day they disappeared,” the Post quoted the affidavits as saying.

The filings say he told the detectives his uncle Richard Welch was involved in girls’ kidnapping and that another relative, a juvenile, was with them when they left the mall with the girls in a vehicle, the Post said.

The court papers go on to say that during the interviews, Welch said that after he was dropped off at his home, his uncle and the juvenile drove off with the girls.

The newspapers said that according to the affidavits Welch told the detectives that the day after the abduction he went to his uncle’s home and saw his uncle sexually abusing on of the sisters.

“Lloyd Welch claims that he left the residence and never saw the sisters again,” the affidavits say.

Authorities named Welch and his 69-year-old uncle persons of interest in the case in 2014. They have not been charged. Last December, Richard Welch’s wife was charged with lying to a Virginia grand jury that is probing the disappearance.

Last month, authorities held a press conference to announce they had been conducting a “forensic dig” for the girls’ remains on land owned by Richard Welch and his sister on a rural Virginia mountain. Bones have been found but authorities have not said if they belong to the two girls.

The affidavits say that a week after the Lyon sisters disappeared, Lloyd Welch told a Wheaton Plaza security guard that he’d seen the sisters leaving the mall in a car with a man. He repeated the story to detectives who gave him a polygraph test. The polygraph showed he was being untruthful.

The detectives wrote up a report on the interview and the polygraph results and stuck it in the file.  Cold case detectives hunting for new leads in the disappearance of the Lyon sisters found it in 2013, according to the affidavits.

Lloyd Welch has told the Post in an earlier letter that he had “nothing to do” with the disappearance of the two girls.

The paper said Richard Welch has declined comment but that his daughter has defended him. She has called the allegations against her father a lie.

The paper also tracked down the juvenile Lloyd Welch said was in the car during the kidnapping. Thomas Welch is a cousin of Lloyd Welch and was 10 ½ in 1975.

“I haven’t done anything,” he said. He also said he doesn’t think Richard Welch, his uncle, was involved in the girls disappearance but isn’t so certain about his cousin.

“If Lloyd did this, I hope he fries for it,” Thomas Welch told the Post.

Police in Montgomery County, Md., declined to comment on the affidavits. Montgomery Police Chief Tom Manger said Friday investigators are determined to find out what happened to the two girls.

"We believe that there are people, including family members of Dick and Lloyd Welch, who have information that would further this investigation," Manger said.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 08:51:26 AM »

Unfortunately, some who say "I hope they fry for this" are really talking about themselves.

Thank goodness it is not being left on a shelf.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 01:04:21 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/15/us-usa-maryland-disappearance-idUSKCN0PP25020150715
Inmate indicted on murder charges in 1975 disappearance of Maryland sisters
July 15, 2015

Lloyd Lee Welch, a convicted sex offender, was indicted on Wednesday on first degree murder in the 1975 disappearance of two young sisters in Maryland, authorities said at a news conference.

The March 1975 disappearance of Katherine and Sheila Lyon, aged 10 and 12, from a shopping mall triggered what was then one of the largest police investigations in the history of the Washington metropolitan area, Virginia commonwealth attorney Randy Krantz said.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 07:52:59 AM »

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update/2015/0715/Charges-filed-in-1975-kidnapping-case-Why-did-it-take-40-years-to-indict-video
Charges filed in 1975 kidnapping case: Why did it take 40 years to indict? (+video)
Authorities have charged a man with the murder of the Lyon sisters, who have been missing since 1975. He is currently serving time for separate charges in another state.
July 15, 2015

Forty years and more than 2,000 leads later, a kidnapping case of two sisters that gripped suburban Maryland has finally gained some ground, authorities say.

Lloyd Lee Michael Welch Jr., a child sex offender currently in prison for another crime, may face the death penalty after officials in Bedford County, Va., announced Wednesday they would be charging him with first-degree murder charges.

Welch, who is serving a 30-year sentence at a Delaware correctional facility for assaulting another girl close to the victims’ age and had been previously named a person of interest in the case, was indicted by a grand jury on Friday. The indictment had been sealed until Wednesday's announcement.
Authorities had placed Welch, then an 18-year-old carnival worker and drifter, at the mall the same day the girls had vanished. He was seen paying attention to them.

The decades-long manhunt was revived with fresh vigor last year, when officials began combing a mountain in Bedford County in search of the girls’ remains. Information had revealed that the girls were likely abducted in Maryland and killed in Virginia, prosecutors in both states said.

A grand jury in that county handed down the indictment, which was announced by county Sheriff Mike Brown Wednesday, reported the AP.

Federal agents and state officials last year began questioning both Welch and his uncle, 70-year-old Richard Welch, whom they named as another person of interest.

After testifying before the grand jury in December, Richard Welch’s wife was charged with perjury. Authorities refused to disclose what she allegedly lied about because grand jury proceedings are confidential.

Lloyd Welch had publicly denied his involvement in a letter to The Washington Post last year. “I had nothing to do with this and I told the police this,” he wrote.

According to police affidavits obtained by The Associated Press, Welch told investigators that he left the mall with the two girls and saw his uncle sexually assaulting one of them at his home the next day. But he said he'd then left the home, and never saw the girls again.

Details of what exactly happened remain hazy, as officials were careful to emphasize Wednesday that the investigation remains active. Saying that a lack of cooperation had prolonged the case, they did not rule out the possibility of issuing further charges. 

Now, authorities will try to extradite Lloyd Welch back to Virginia, where if convicted, he could face 20 years to life in prison or the death penalty, according to Randy Krantz, commonwealth's attorney in Bedford County.

He said prosecutors hadn't yet decided whether to seek the death penalty.

The girls’ parents, John and Mary Lyon, who still live in the area, left the news conference before it ended and did not speak to reporters. Police have asked that their privacy be respected.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2019, 01:31:33 PM »

https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifestyle/article/The-Lyon-sisters-vanished-four-decades-ago-13738019.php
The Lyon sisters vanished four decades ago. Here's how the case was finally solved.
Mark Bowden, The Washington Post Published 9:22 am CDT, Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2019, 11:44:09 AM »

Presumed dead??? Correct?

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.