March 28, 2024, 03:43:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Graco Harness Buckle Recall - 2014 Announcement  (Read 8111 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: February 11, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/24695951/graco-recall-what-you-need-to-know

Graco, the Atlanta-based maker of baby and children's products, said Tuesday it's recalling nearly 3.8 million car safety seats sold between 2009 and 2013 because children can get trapped by buckles that may not unlatch.

Graco says the defect happens when food or drinks get stuck in the buckles.

The company will send replacement buckles for free to customers who have registered their seats or who call the company's hotline (800-345-4109). They can also send an e-mail to consumerservices@gracobaby.com

Here are the seats involved in the recall:

Toddler convertible car seats (generally used for rear-facing infants under 30 lbs. and forward-facing toddlers up to 70 lbs. Smart Seat also converts to a booster for up to 100 lbs.)

Comfort Sport

Cozy Cline

Classic Ride 50

Head Wise 70

My Ride 65

My Ride 65 with Safety Surround

My Ride 70

Size 4 Me 70

Smart Seat

Harnessed booster car seats (used for forward-facing toddlers between 20-100 lbs. Argos 70 also converts to a backless booster for up to 120 lbs.)

Argos 70

Nautilus

Nautilus Edge

NHTSA says Graco should also recall an additional 1.8 million rear-facing infant seats with similar latches. Graco isn't recalling those seats, but will provide replacement buckles to those who request them. Those seats are:

Snugride

Snugride 30

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 07:45:18 PM »

I wonder how many of the 3.8 million car safety seats sold between 2009 and 2013 were ever registered?   How many car safety seat customers already pitched out the seats after the buckles jammed up or quit working?  How many people pay attention and call the hotline or email and get a free replacement buckle?  How many will even go look at the car safety seat to see if it qualifies? 

I was in a consignment store that sold baby goods, and I asked them if they checked any lists of recalled baby products before they were accepted for resale.    A few years ago, there were baby seats recalled that were found to be defective and cracked and broke in accidents.  I realize car seats and such are expensive, but I would hesitate to buy one used or accept a hand me down.rec Of course, even new ones seem to be subject to recalls, though.    I realize how messy cars and car seats can get.  I've seen where there's a new mini-van with a built in vacuum. Makes it easier to clean up the Cheerios.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:38:13 AM »

I was thinking about this recall again when I saw a news bit about it on television this morning.  It brought me back to a time years ago when I had toddler in a car seat in the back , along with a first grader next to him. I was driving along a winding road and I heard the unmistakable gasping sounds of choking.  Somehow, the toddler in the car seat ended up with a piece of hard candy, which the first grader may or may not have given him or he managed to nab when it was dropped.   I pulled over, got the toddler out of the car seat, turned him over and upside down, gave him a sound whack between the shoulder blades and the candy popped out.  What would have happened if I couldn't have gotten him out of the car seat because the seat buckle jammed?!   Now days, I carry a utility tool in the pocket of door of my car that has a seat belt cutter on one end and a device that can break a window on the other and an small led light. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:42:46 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/business/graco-recalls-car-seats-because-of-faulty-buckle.html?hpw&rref=automobiles
Graco Recalls Car Seats Over Faulty Buckle
February 11, 2014

The Graco Comfort Sport car seat, one of the models recalled after some parents complained that they had to cut the straps to remove their children.

The company displayed old and new harness buckles on its website.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »

https://secure.gracobucklerecall.com/Recall2014

As part of our continuous product testing and improvement process, Graco identified that some of the harness buckles used on our toddler car seats can become sticky and difficult to open over time if kids spilled food or juice on them. Therefore, we have decided to conduct a voluntary recall of the harness buckles used on select toddler convertible car seats and harnessed booster seats. As early as June 2013, Graco began featuring a new and improved harness buckle on select toddler car seats.

Aside from reports of sticky buckles that sometimes become difficult to open, there have been no reported injuries related to the safe use of the car seats. While we continue to offer replacement harness buckles to any concerned consumer at no cost, those with toddler car seats not affected are already equipped with a new and improved harness buckle.

Consumers are encouraged to place their order for a replacement harness buckle using our online order form. Those seeking replacement buckles will receive replacement kits in 6-8 weeks. While waiting for a replacement kit, it is safe to use the toddler car seat if the buckle is not sticky. If it becomes sticky, Graco recommends cleaning it by following the cleaning instructions as this will help increase the buckle’s performance. Our car seats have been carefully engineered and rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed every safety standard set forth by the federal government.

For additional questions, contact our customer service team (Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. EST).

https://secure.gracobucklerecall.com/Recall2014/affected-models.html?vs=MDc2MGZiMzEtOTA0Yi00Y2JlLTk5MGMtYTMxMzIxYTQ2YmJiOzsS1

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 11:45:46 PM »

I believe Klaas started a thread on this. I don't know how many folks will pay attention to the recall and get this taken care of.    

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=15082.msg1584212#msg1584212
Graco Recall: Recalling nearly 3.8 million car safety seats

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 07:25:39 AM »

I wonder where her thread is? We should merge.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »

I wonder where her thread is? We should merge.

I'm sorry you misunderstood me, Nut.  I referenced her thread in my post.    
The article title and the thread subject line refer to "car safety seats", but it's the buckle part that's the concern. The recall basically references car safety seats those buckles are on.   So, your thread and her thread should be merged. 

I believe Klaas started a thread on this. I don't know how many folks will pay attention to the recall and get this taken care of.    

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=15082.msg1584212#msg1584212
Graco Recall: Recalling nearly 3.8 million car safety seats

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 08:35:14 AM »

I can't merge...no buttons for it. I still don't understand what you said lol.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »

It's okay Nut.  I've sent Klaasend a request to merge the two threads.   

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 04:46:30 PM »

Merged!   
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 01:00:52 AM »

TY I do not want my merge button back. With my luck I'd merge all the threads in the Scared Monkeys forum into one huge thread, lol.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 09:04:18 AM »

TY I do not want my merge button back. With my luck I'd merge all the threads in the Scared Monkeys forum into one huge thread, lol.

You are so funny Nut!        You don't give yourself enough credit, though.      I found that if something is merged in error, it can be moved back.  And I know this because...    And of course, that doesn't include all the anxiety, feelings of panic, hair pulling, pm's to other mods to help find them.       And of course, there's Klaas, who has always pulled mods bacon outta the fire.   

Keep up the good work, Nut!   

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 08:29:15 AM »

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Graco-gives-in-agrees-to-recall-infant-car-seats--265450341.html
Graco gives in, agrees to recall infant car seats
July 1, 2014

Credit: Graco Infant Seat Recall
Graco Infant Seat Recall, include the SnugRide, SnugRide Classic Connect (including Classic Connect 30 and 35), SnugRide 30, SnugRide 35, SnugRide Click Connect 40, and Aprica A30. They were manufactured between July 2010 and May 2013, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

DETROIT — Graco Children's Products is recalling 1.9 million infant car seats, bowing to demands from U.S. safety regulators, in what is now the largest seat recall in American history.

The recall, announced Tuesday, comes after a five-month spat between Graco and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Earlier this year the company recalled 4.2 million toddler seats because the harness buckles can get stuck. But it resisted the agency's demand to recall the infant seats.
Buckles can get gummed up by food and drinks, and that could make it hard to remove children. In some cases parents had to cut harnesses to get their kids out. The agency says that increases the risk of injuries in emergencies.

Graco argued that infant seats are used differently, and in an emergency, an adult can remove the whole seat rather than using the buckle.

When Graco announced the initial recall in February, NHTSA sent the company a sternly worded letter questioning why the infant seats weren't included. The agency said parents have filed complaints with the agency and the company about stuck buckles on the infant seats.

The letter also accused the company of soft-pedaling the recall with "incomplete and misleading" documents that will be seen by consumers. The agency threatened civil penalties.

But Graco, a division of Atlanta-based Newell Rubbermaid Inc., told The Associated Press at the time that rear-facing infant seats weren't being recalled because infants don't get food or drinks on their seats. Graco had agreed to send replacement buckles to owners of infant seats upon request.

In a June 27 letter to NHTSA, however, Graco said that further investigation showed a "higher than typical level of difficulty" in unlatching the infant seat buckles.

The company says there have been no injuries reported because of the problem. Spokeswoman Ashley Mowrey said in a statement that Tuesday's move, which brings the recall to 6.1 million seats, comes after months of sharing data and research with NHTSA. The company said the recall "is in the best interest of consumers and underscores our shared commitment to child passenger safety."

Infant-seat models covered by Tuesday's recall include the SnugRide, SnugRide Classic Connect (including Classic Connect 30 and 35), SnugRide 30, SnugRide 35, SnugRide Click Connect 40, and Aprica A30. They were manufactured between July 2010 and May 2013, according to NHTSA.

Graco will replace the buckles for free. The company says owners can check to see if their seats are included by going to www.GracoBuckleRecall.com or by calling (877) 766-7470.

Link to see which seats are recalled:
https://secure.gracobucklerecall.com/recall2014

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.