March 29, 2024, 08:29:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hailey M. Owens 10 yr. old abducted 2/18/14 in Springfield Mo. AMBER ALERT (BODY FOUND)  (Read 84620 times)
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 12:43:10 PM »

body has been found, believed to be Hailey's.

Puzzler - that which puzzles or perplexes; anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret.
BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 01:50:45 PM »

http://fox4kc.com/2014/02/18/amber-alert-issued-for-abducted-10-year-old-from-springfield/

, updated on: 12:06pm, February 19, 2014

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. — Springfield, Mo., police confirmed the body of Hailey Owens was located inside the home of Craig Michael Wood. Police named Wood, 45, as a suspect in her abduction in an earlier news conference.
Witnesses reported seeing Owens abducted by a man Tuesday evening shortly before 5 p.m.
On Wednesday morning, Springfield Public School Superintendent Dr. Norm Ridder said the suspect in Owens’ abduction was an employee of Springfield Public Schools. A statement on the school district’s website read in-part:
“The suspect in this case, Craig Michael Wood, was arrested by Springfield Police Department. Wood has been employed by SPS since Aug. 18, 1998. He works as a paraprofessional and athletic coach at Pleasant View K-8 School. His employment has been suspended until this matter is resolved.” Read the full statement here.
Just before 6 a.m. media reports indicated Hailey’s body was found, however police did not confirm this — or even mention it — in their first news conference. However, the Green County Sheriff’s website indicated Wood was being held on suspicion of first-degree murder. Police said the investigation is ongoing.
“The FBI sent their evidence response team down last night and they are assisting us with processing the crime scene at East Stanford St.,” said the investigator. Another news conference is scheduled for 11:00 a.m.
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »

so so sad, and he is a coach at an elem school

Press Confrence video
Police: Body of abducted girl likely found; kidnapping suspect mum; neighbor who chased truck speaks out
Police believe girl initially tried to ignore suspect
Feb. 19, 2014 12:33 PM   |   23 Comments
http://www.news-leader.com/article/20140219/NEWS12/302190065/craig-michael-wood-hailey-owens

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 02:00:15 PM »

Suspect in Girl's Murder a Coach at Pleasant View School
Brett Martin Brett Martin
02/19/2014 08:58 AM02/19/2014 09:13 AM

Springfield R-12 school superintendent Dr. Norm Ridder issued this statement about Wood:

Last night we learned the terrible news that one of our students had been abducted near her home. This morning, our sadness is compounded by the recent developments in the case of Hailey Owens’ abduction.
 The suspect in this case, Craig Michael Wood, was arrested by Springfield Police Department. Wood has been employed by SPS since Aug. 18, 1998. He works as a paraprofessional and athletic coach at Pleasant View K-8 School. His employment has been suspended until this matter is resolved.
Hailey is a student at Westport Elementary School and last year she attended Bowerman Elementary School. 
I offer my support to Hailey’s family and to our SPS community. Students and staff at three of our schools are coping with this situation. To support these school communities directly impacted by this tragedy, I have assigned additional counseling staff and school police officers to be on hand until further notice.
We are fully cooperating with law enforcement officials as their investigation continues. Because this is an ongoing investigation, I will not be making any further comments about the situation at this tim
http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/d/story/suspect-in-girls-murder-a-school-coach/38541/7ixaeeCM_0eVwhCcBJNjKQ

map Hailey home, crime scene
http://goo.gl/maps/4sNR1

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 02:07:46 PM »

somehow i dont think this is his first time, maybe fbi can find his dna
related to other crimes, i feel for the neighbors that helped, prob going
to live with, that dreaded what if...... for a long long time

New Monkey
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2014, 02:20:32 PM »

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/breaking-news-man-charged-with-murder-in-case-of-missing-springfield-girl/21048998_24555750

Police worked "multiple" crime scenes all night at 1538 E. Stanford St. and other places as they investigated the kidnapping and murder of 10-year-old Hailey.  She was taken from the 3200 block of West Lombard Street as she walked from a friend's home to her home two blocks away late Tuesday afternoon.  The family lives in the 3300 block of West Page Street.

At mid-morning Wednesday, police confirmed another crime scene related to this case is at Dutch Maid Laundry, 526 S. National Ave., near Elm Street.   That's a laundromat.  FBI agents were looking through the washers and dryers there.  They were there from about 3 a.m. until about 10:30 a.m., when the business reopened.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »

related to other crimes
, i feel for the neighbors that helped, prob going

I had the same thoughts, cw.  I don't believe he woke up one morning and decided to abduct and murder a little girl.     Has he been flying under the radar?  Are there any previous incidents that were explained away?  I wonder if there was anything in his youth that was kept under wraps because he was a minor?  I wonder if there are victims of this predator that were afraid to speak out? 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2014, 02:28:14 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-jail-man-murder-charge-mo-abduction-22577905

ST. LOUIS February 19, 2014 (AP)

A body believed to be that of Hailey Owens was found Wednesday at a Springfield home owned by the suspect, Police Chief Paul Williams said at a news conference. Official confirmation won't occur until after an autopsy, but the chief said police "have a high degree of confidence" in the preliminary identification.

Police say Craig Michael Wood, 45, is jailed on suspicion of first-degree murder but formal charges have not been filed. The Greene County prosecutor is reviewing the case.

Hailey was walking to a friend's home in Springfield just before 5 p.m. Tuesday. Witnesses told investigators that a man in a gold, 2008 Ford Ranger drove down the street several times before abducting the child.

Wood was arrested late Tuesday inside a vehicle parked outside his small single-story home.

The Springfield School District said Wood is a coach and teacher's aide who supervises in-school suspensions at a school for students in kindergarten through eighth grade. Hailey did not attend that school, and Williams said the two apparently didn't know each other.

"There's no connection that we've been able to determine at this time between the victim and the suspect," he said.

Williams said police have no idea of a motive for the killing. He said the suspect has not talked to investigators since his arrest.

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2014, 02:28:25 PM »

i added the Dutch Maid Laundry to map
http://goo.gl/maps/sd71D

Owner                
Wood, Craig M Etal
1538 E STANFORD ST
SPRINGFIELD MO 65804 1229

Owner Info Last Updated 7/31/2012
http://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Application.aspx?AppID=328&LayerID=3509&PageTypeID=2&PageID=2302&KeyValue=881230407002

http://beacon.schneidercorp.com/?site=GreeneCountyMO
or
click name or addy search tabs, takes you to beacon too
https://www.greenecountymo.org/assessor/

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2014, 02:33:17 PM »

related to other crimes

I had the same thoughts, cw.  I don't believe he woke up one morning and decided to abduct and murder a little girl.     Has he been flying under the radar?  Are there any previous incidents that were explained away?  I wonder if there was anything in his youth that was kept under wraps because he was a minor?  I wonder if there are victims of this predator that were afraid to speak out? 

if there are other victims, hopefully they will speak since the perp is jailed now

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2014, 02:39:15 PM »

related to other crimes

if there are other victims, hopefully they will speak since the perp is jailed now

I hope so, even though it may be very difficult for them and their families. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2014, 02:42:32 PM »

http://www.wfaa.com/news/national/246138241.html
Body of missing 10-year-old found in southwest Mo.
February 19, 2014

ST. LOUIS (AP) — A grade school coach has been jailed on suspicion of first-degree murder in the abduction and death of a 10-year-old girl in southwest Missouri, police said Wednesday.
A body believed to be that of Hailey Owens was found Wednesday at a Springfield home owned by the suspect, Police Chief Paul Williams said at a news conference. Official confirmation won't occur until after an autopsy, but the chief said police "have a high degree of confidence" in the preliminary identification.
Police say Craig Michael Wood, 45, is jailed on suspicion of first-degree murder but formal charges have not been filed. The Greene County prosecutor is reviewing the case.
Hailey was walking to a friend's home in Springfield just before 5 p.m. Tuesday. Witnesses told investigators that a man in a gold, 2008 Ford Ranger drove down the street several times before abducting the child.
Wood was arrested late Tuesday inside a vehicle parked outside his small single-story home.
The Springfield School District said Wood is a coach and teacher's aide who supervises in-school suspensions at a school for students in kindergarten through eighth grade. Hailey did not attend that school, and Williams said the two apparently didn't know each other.
"There's no connection that we've been able to determine at this time between the victim and the suspect," he said.
Williams said police have no idea of a motive for the killing. He said the suspect has not talked to investigators since his arrest.
The suspect's father, Jim Wood of Ash Grove, Mo., told The Associated Press that the girl's disappearance was "a tragedy" but declined further comment.
About 30 Springfield police investigators along with an FBI evidence response team searched the area near Wood's home Wednesday morning, as well as a nearby coin-operated laundry.
A records search shows Wood had little criminal history. He pleaded guilty to possession of a controlled substance in 1990 in Greene County and was fined $100.

Hailey did not attend the school where Wood worked. She was a student at Westport Elementary School this year, and was at Bowerman Elementary School last year. Springfield, with 162,000 residents, is Missouri's third-largest city.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/19/missing-girl-abduction/5603679/
Body found is likely abducted Mo. girl, police say
February 19, 2014

Evidence of foul play was found at the home, which the suspect owns, Williams said. Officers also were searching a laundry in connection with the case.

Wood does not appear to know Hailey, police say. And so far, Wood has refused to speak. No other suspects appear to be involved in the crime.

"I know an officer had to sit here all night 'til the FBI got here," said Tressa Brown, an attendant on duty at the laundry who initially was not allowed to report for work until officials finished their search. "He (the suspect) was washing away his evidence, I'm guessing."

A Springfield Public Schools employee database shows Craig M. Wood was hired in August 1998 as a paraprofessional for in-school suspension. A current staff list on the Pleasant View Middle School website shows a Craig Wood working this year as well.

A witness, Carlos Edwards, told a News-Leader photographer that he saw the girl being abducted as he and his wife sat in the garage of their home. He said the girl had been visiting with a friend on the street and lived nearby.

The suspect drove up and down the street several times before pulling up to the girl and asking her if she knew the location of "Springfield Street" to get her closer to the truck before grabbing her, Edwards said. The girl was pulled through the open driver's side door, over the driver and placed in the passenger seat.

Describing his shock while recounting what he saw, Edwards said he tried to run after the truck as his wife got the license number and called 911.

He spoke with concern about the girl and surprise that the man had grabbed the girl right in front of him.
"I can't believe he didn't see us sitting here in the garage," he said, explaining he heard the man talk to the girl.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2014, 02:56:11 PM »

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/national/midwest/2014/02/body_found_believed_to_be_missing_missouri_girls
Body found believed to be missing Missouri girl's
February 19, 2014

Springfield School District Superintendent Norm Ridder said in a statement Wednesday that Wood began working for the district in August 1998 and is a paraprofessional and coach at Pleasant View K-8 School. Ridder said Wood has been suspended since his arrest.

School spokesman Teresa Bledsoe later said that Wood was initially hired as a temporary employee who worked as a substitute teacher before he was hired full time in 2006. He has coached football at Pleasant View since 1998 and was also an assistant boys' basketball coach.

"He met all of our qualifications for employment," Bledsoe said, noting that the Springfield district has a more rigorous background check requirement than state law, with an additional screening designed to detect substantiated allegations of child abuse or neglect as well as any past criminal violations.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2014, 03:01:41 PM »

related to other crimes

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2014, 03:13:58 PM »

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/national/midwest/2014/02/body_found_believed_to_be_missing_missouri_girls
February 19, 2014

Springfield School District Superintendent Norm Ridder said in a statement Wednesday that Wood began working for the district in August 1998 and is a paraprofessional and coach at Pleasant View K-8 School. Ridder said Wood has been suspended since his arrest.

School spokesman Teresa Bledsoe later said that Wood was initially hired as a temporary employee who worked as a substitute teacher before he was hired full time in 2006. He has coached football at Pleasant View since 1998 and was also an assistant boys' basketball coach.

"He met all of our qualifications for employment," Bledsoe said, noting that the Springfield district has a more rigorous background check requirement than state law, with an additional screening designed to detect substantiated allegations of child abuse or neglect as well as any past criminal violations.

Not to say this applies to everyone, but usually these positions are filled with people who aren't depending on one income, and/or have kids and want or need to have the same schedule etc.  As a whole paraprofessionals are underpaid imo.  They usually have a lot of extra "duties" (like playground, cafeteria duty etc) especially in elementary schools.  A coaching stipend would add to his pay, and if he drove a bus that might add more.   

http://paraprofessionalsalary.com/MO/1/salary/Paraprofessional-Education-Salary

(more at the link)

Missouri Yearly Paraprofessional Education Pay Statistics
Average Yearly Paraprofessional Education Salary   $16,136 - $24,205
Starting Yearly Paraprofessional Education Salary   $13,289 - $19,933
Top Yearly Paraprofessional Education Salary   $18,984 - $28,476

With approximately 16 years of service+coaching stipend?+bus driver?, he would have probably fell between the top wages listed above imo.

Does make me wonder if there was more to his choice of this profession considering his alleged crime.

JMO

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »

February 19, 2014

Not to say this applies to everyone, but usually these positions are filled with people who aren't depending on one income, and/or have kids and want or need to have the same schedule etc.  As a whole paraprofessionals are underpaid imo.  They usually have a lot of extra "duties" (like playground, cafeteria duty etc) especially in elementary schools.  A coaching stipend would add to his pay, and if he drove a bus that might add more.   

http://paraprofessionalsalary.com/MO/1/salary/Paraprofessional-Education-Salary

(more at the link)

Missouri Yearly Paraprofessional Education Pay Statistics
Average Yearly Paraprofessional Education Salary   $16,136 - $24,205
Starting Yearly Paraprofessional Education Salary   $13,289 - $19,933
Top Yearly Paraprofessional Education Salary   $18,984 - $28,476

With approximately 16 years of service+coaching stipend?+bus driver?, he would have probably fell between the top wages listed above imo.

Does make me wonder if there was more to his choice of this profession considering his alleged crime.

JMO

Absolutely! 

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2014, 04:08:20 PM »

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20140219/NEWS12/302190065/craig-michael-wood-hailey-owens

Father of suspect in girl's abduction: 'He's my son, and he's in a lot of trouble.'
Police believe girl initially tried to ignore suspect
Feb. 19, 2014 2:54 PM

Craig Wood’s father, Jim Wood, didn’t know about the Amber alert on a 10-year-old girl who had been kidnapped Tuesday until he got home and found the police waiting for him.

“I heard last night about 7:10 p.m.,” Jim Wood told the News-Leader in a short interview. “I was out all day. I had my cell phone off. I didn’t see the Amber alert.”

Police were in the thick of an investigation of Jim’s son Craig, Jim’s truck, the missing girl.

“He’s my son, and he’s in a lot of trouble,” Jim Wood said today.

Jim Wood said the truck belongs to him but Craig Wood, the oldest of his children, used it. He declined to say more for now, deferring to a possible further interview later.

New Monkey
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2014, 04:20:06 PM »

I don't know, this guy seems like an amateur, doesn't he?  Not a great planner and this doesn't seem like a well thought out or executed plan.  I was thinking it would be likely he hasn't done anything like this before. 
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »

I don't know, this guy seems like an amateur, doesn't he?  Not a great planner and this doesn't seem like a well thought out or executed plan.  I was thinking it would be likely he hasn't done anything like this before. 

I don't understand why he continued his abduction when there were two witnesses watching him.  It doesn't make sense.  imo
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.