March 28, 2024, 07:51:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: " Spike Lee’s Racism Isn’t Cute: ‘M—–f—– Hipster’ Is the New ‘Honkey’ "  (Read 1724 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: March 01, 2014, 07:23:15 AM »

But George had grown up in Jim Crow America. We let his bigotry pass as “cute” because it was just desserts for a nasty past that was barely even past. But it’s been 40 years.

Surely what bothers Lee is not that Fort Greene is now a cushy neighborhood. He just wishes it had gotten that way with all black faces. He’s yearning for the multi-class black communities that people of his generation regret the dissolutions of after the end of institutionalized segregation (when black people like my parents, for example, moved out to mixed or white neighborhoods).

But let’s face it: The reason there were black communities like that was because of segregation. If there still were black communities like that, no matter how beautiful they would look when shot lovingly in films like Lee’s, it would signify racial barriers. The neighborhood would be prime fodder for people like Lee to intone with smug indignation about how non-post-racial America is. “You barely see a white face on the streets. What’s that about? What are they afraid of?”

Enough, Mr. Lee. Enough.

When racial barriers come down, people mingle, cohabitate, and mate. People grumbling on the sidelines about the losses and appropriations and whatnot that this involves are historical detritus. That becomes ringingly clear in how impossible it is to scorn the multiracial children who grow from processes like this, who grow up to be perfectly normal adults — and life goes on.

read more and watch video here - http://ideas.time.com/2014/02/28/spike-lees-racism-isnt-cute-m-f-hipster-is-the-new-honkey/

No idea where Mr. Lee lives.  What does Mr. Lee see when he looks around his family?  A rainbow?  An American melting pot?

I have to wonder what kind of people are moving into Mr. Lee's neighborhood?  Really white people?  Light skinned multi-racial people? 

Mr. Lee talks about white flight and the crime, taxes, and violence they left behind. He talks about respect for the historic black neighborhood...

Who respected historical white ethnic neighborhoods?

Why are the black people moving out?  Why aren't families keeping the historical black homes?   Mr. Lee's historical black people can't afford private school for their kids?

It's an interesting opinion and video at the site.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 07:32:12 AM »

Compare Detroit to Mr. Lee's neighborhood.

Would he rather his neighborhood be the next Detroit?  Run by thugs of all colors?  Bankrupt?  Violence, stealing, and burning every night?

Maybe in some ways, people of all colors and mixes are free to live lives not limited by the color of their skin and historical boundaries?

I don't know how many Lee movies I may have seen.  If it's not Rings, Star Wars, or Star Trek, not sure I'd notice his works.

I do recall a much discussed moving about an Italian pizza place.  From memory (my paraphrase) - the walls were covered in historic Italian greats (athletes, performers, etc.).  African Americans were moving in.  They didn't like the stuff on the walls or the music.  They thought the Italian guy should update and have all things African American in his pizza place.  Lots of tension.

Where was Mr. Lee's respect for the historical neighborhood in that movie? 

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.