March 19, 2024, 12:53:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malaysia Airlines 777 Flight MH370 - Missing - March 7, 2014  (Read 775925 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 09:25:21 PM »

http://www.smh.com.au/world/malaysia-airlines-missing-plane-satellites-picked-up-pings-from-jet-sources-says-20140314-hviig.html
Malaysia Airlines missing plane: Satellites picked up 'pings' from jet, sources says
March 14, 2014

Washington: Communications satellites picked up faint electronic pulses from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 after it went missing on Saturday, but the signals gave no information about where the stray jet was heading and little else about its fate, two sources close to the investigation said on Thursday.

The "pings" indicated that the aircraft's maintenance troubleshooting systems were switched on and ready to communicate with satellites as needed. But no data links were opened because the companies involved had not subscribed to that level of service from the satellite operator, the sources said.

The system transmits such pings about once an hour, the sources said, but it remains unclear how many signals the plane sent after air traffic control lost track of it.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2014, 10:50:16 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/volunteers-all-over-the-world-look-for-missing-malaysian-jet/
Digital volunteers all over the world look for missing Malaysian jet
March 13, 2014

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2014, 05:48:09 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/volunteers-all-over-the-world-look-for-missing-malaysian-jet/
March 13, 2014

Hi Monkey's

Muffy and wonderful witty monkeys Smile

Do you have any theories?
I guess it is premature, to guess or even speculate, just super-curious about theories.

If there was a poll I would be the one to pick Aliens 

Thank-you 

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2014, 09:02:42 PM »

March 13, 2014

Hi Monkey's

I guess it is premature, to guess or even speculate, just super-curious about theories.

Thank-you 

Seahorse, I will give you an answer since you asked me directly in this post by name. If you want to believe aliens abducted the airplane with 239 souls aboard (including children), that is your right.  As for my self, I cannot make light of it.  My heart aches for the family, friends and co-workers of the missing.  I have veryclose family members and friends flying commercial, international flights, and the not knowing if something happened to them would break my heart. Look at the photos of the people  waiting for the arrival of Flight 370 that never arrived.  Perhaps you don't take flights like this or know someone personally that does, it may be difficult for you to have some empathy and understanding for others that have probably lost a loved one.  I hope the families, friends and coworkers get the answers they need.  As far as what may have happened, I don't know.  As I sit here, I wonder if I'm on the wrong forum.   

Seahorse, would you ask any of these people if they believe "aliens" are responsible for missing plane with their loved ones aboard?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26498628

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10684770/Oil-slick-spotted-in-sea-in-search-for-missing-Malaysian-plane.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/malaysia-airlines-fearing-the-worst-search-shifts-to-disaster-recovery-1.2565126

http://www.chron.com/news/world/article/Air-force-chief-Malaysia-jet-may-have-turned-back-5301204.php

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2014, 05:45:06 AM »

Piracy theory gains more credence in mystery of missing Flight MH 370

Mar 14th 2014 10:01PM

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/03/14/missing-plane-piracy-theory-gains-more-credence/20850351/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D454115

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2014, 10:10:12 AM »

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/pm-mh370-deliberately-piloted-off-course
MALAYSIA
PM: MH370 deliberately piloted off-course
(VIDEO)
March 15, 2014

SEPANG, March 15 — Datuk Seri Najib Razak confirmed today that Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 that disappeared off the coast of Kota Baru last Saturday had been deliberately diverted off-course towards the west of Peninsular Malaysia.

The prime minister would not, however, confirm reports claiming that the plane had been hijacked.

“Despite media reports that the plane was hijacked, I wish to be very clear that we are still investigating all possibilities as to what caused MH370 to deviate from its original flight path,” he told an an emergency press conference today at the Sama-Sama Hotel near the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).

While Najib did not confirm that MH370 was hijacked, he indicated that probe will now shift its attention to the people who were flying aboard the Beijing-bound plane.

“In view of this latest development the Malaysian authorities have refocused their investigation into the crew and passengers on board,” he said earlier in his statement.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2014, 10:16:54 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/15/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/
Malaysia Airlines probe focusing on passengers, crew
March 15, 2014

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* NEW: Police search pilot's home

* "Evidence is consistent with someone acting deliberately from inside the plane," Malaysia PM says

* Search widens to two corridors, including the Kazakhstan-Turkmenistan border area

* Investigators are no longer combing the South China Sea

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2014, 10:34:22 AM »

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-color-red-missing-mh370-font-pm-s-statement-on-missing-airliner-1.514405
MISSING MH370: PM's statement on missing airliner
March 15, 2014

Below is the full text of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak's full statement of the missing MAS MH370 flight.

Seven days ago Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 disappeared. We realise this is an excruciating time for the families of those on board. No words can describe the pain they must be going through. Our thoughts and our prayers are with them.
More...

theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2014, 09:57:04 PM »

March 13, 2014

Hi Monkey's

Thank-you 

Seahorse - I will give you the theory that makes the most sense to me - but it is JMO.

Talking to aviation experts and to former military and current pilots one theory makes sense - pilot suicide. The guy that was flying as captain was older and the airline (which is government owned) has been in financial trouble for a long time. IF he was afraid of losing his job and having a hard time getting a new one at his age, he would be worried about providing for his family. He was (or is) an avid aviation person both on and off the job. So if he wanted to die and still have his family get life insurance and no shame, he would set up an on the job "accident".  It would be pretty easy for him to do by lowering the pressure in the cabin and cockpit which would cause the other people to either pass out or pass away. Then he could fly off course until the plane runs out of fuel. There would then be no way to prove if it was hijacked, mechanical failure that killed all aboard (like the Payne plane did) or what happened. His family would be spared shame and get the money. It is one of the only theories that seems to fit all the information we have at this time. I may be (and hope I am) wrong.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2014, 10:11:34 PM »

That's a very interesting theory, TBM.  ^^^^ 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2014, 10:11:18 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysia-airlines-flight-370-pilot-suicide-a-taboo-topic-in-past-crash-probes/
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370: Pilot suicide a taboo topic in past crash probes
March 16, 2014

CANBERRA, Australia - As police investigate the two pilots of a Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 passenger jet that disappeared more than a week ago, a possibility they must consider is that one of them committed suicide by deliberately crashing the plane.

Mike Glynn, a committee member of the Australian and International Pilots Association, said he considers pilot suicide to be the most likely explanation for the disappearance, as was suspected in a SilkAir crash during a flight from Singapore to Jakarta in 1997 and an EgyptAir flight from Los Angeles to Cairo in 1999.

"A pilot rather than a hijacker is more likely to be able to switch off the communications equipment,'' Glynn said. "The last thing that I, as a pilot, want is suspicion to fall on the crew, but it's happened twice before.''

Glynn said a pilot may have sought to fly the plane into the Indian Ocean to reduce the chances of recovering data recorders, and to conceal the cause of the disaster.

While such incidents have happened before, the topic remains almost taboo, with investigators and officials reluctant to conclude that a pilot purposely crashed a plane in order to commit suicide even when the evidence appears compelling.

A dozen years ago, U.S. investigators filed a final report into the 1999 crash of EgyptAir Flight 990, which plunged into the Atlantic Ocean near the Massachusetts island of Nantucket, killing all 217 aboard. They concluded that when co-pilot Gameel El-Batouty found himself alone on the flight deck, he switched off the auto-pilot, pointed the plane downward, and calmly repeated the phrase "I rely on God" over and over, 11 times in total.

Yet while the National Transportation Safety Board concluded that the co-pilot's actions caused the crash, they didn't use the word "suicide" in the main findings of their 160-page report, instead saying the reason for his actions "was not determined." Egyptian officials, meanwhile, rejected the notion of suicide altogether, insisting instead there was some mechanical reason for the crash.
There was also disagreement over the cause of the crash of SilkAir Flight 185, which plunged into a river in 1997 during a flight from Jakarta, Indonesia, to Singapore, killing all 104 passengers and crew. A U.S. investigation found that the Boeing 737 had been deliberately crashed, but an Indonesian investigation was inconclusive.

Mozambique officials have been investigating a crash that killed 33 people in November. They say preliminary investigations indicate that the pilot of the Mozambican Airline plane bound for Angola intentionally brought it down, and they're continuing to look into his possible motives.

"Aircraft-assisted suicides are tragic, intentional events that are hard to predict and difficult to prevent," the FAA's report found, adding that such suicides "are most likely under-reported and under-recognized."

In at least one case, a major international airline allowed a pilot who had expressed suicidal thoughts to continue flying. He flew nearly three more years, without incident, before he resigned in 1982 with severe obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety and depression.

Malaysia's government said police on Saturday searched the homes of both the pilot and the co-pilot of the missing Malaysia Airlines jet. It said police were examining an elaborate flight simulator taken from the home of 59-year-old pilot Zaharie Ahmad Shah.

Police also are investigating engineers who may have had contact with the plane before it took off.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2014, 12:10:46 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/16/flight-mh370-last-message-communications-disabled-malaysia
Flight MH370: last message to Malaysia sent 'after communications disabled'
Revelation suggests person who delivered 'All right, good night' message from missing plane knew system had been shut down

March 16, 2014

The person in control of missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 issued their last communication to air traffic control after the first set of aircraft communications was disabled, Malaysian authorities have confirmed, adding further weight to suspicion that the plane was hijacked.

The latest revelation suggests that the person who delivered the "All right, good night" message to Kuala Lumpur air traffic controllers just before the Boeing-777 disappeared from their radar at 1.22am and diverted from its scheduled flightpath to Beijing was also aware that the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (Acars) had been manually shut down.

Investigations still do not appear to know who was at the helm and what their intentions were when the aircraft disappeared from civilian radar more than a week ago.

Experts on aircraft maintenance have explained that the plane's communications system can only be disabled manually – a process that requires switching a number of cockpit controls in sequence until a computer screen necessitates a keyboard input.

Authorities have not yet disclosed whether the person who issued the last message to controllers was Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, 53, or co-pilot Fariq Abdul Hamid, 27, or even an unknown third person. It is also unclear if such messages are recorded by air traffic control and are available for expert analysis to determine who the voice belongs to.

Malaysia Airlines could not be reached for comment and Malaysia's transport ministry declined to comment.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2014, 05:37:34 PM »

http://www.wfaa.com/news/Missing-Malaysia-Passengers-Brother--250637491.html
Brother of missing Malaysia passenger: 'We need answers'
March 17, 2014

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2014, 08:54:53 AM »

http://www.kvue.com/news/Passengers-crew-on-board-missing-Malaysia-plane--250770561.html
Passengers, crew on board missing Malaysia plane
March 18, 2014

There were 12 crew and 227 passengers on the Malaysia Airlines jet that disappeared about 40 minutes into a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8. They were from far-flung parts of the world: 14 nationalities that included New Zealanders, Iranians, Americans and Indonesians. Two thirds of the passengers were from China. These are the stories of some of those on board.
More...
(List of some of the crew and passengers and a bit about their life story)

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2014, 03:36:22 PM »

My guess from the beginning was that the plane was headed to Somalia.  jmoo

Some articles that caught my attention today--

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/9840870/Pilots-flight-simulator-focused-on-Indian-Ocean
Pilot's flight simulator focused on Indian Ocean
Last updated 18:43 18/03/2014

A flight simulator taken from the home of a missing Malaysia Airlines pilot held software for five practice runaways scattered around the Indian Ocean, a Malaysian news outlet says.

Berita Harian reported a source as telling it that one airport was for a United States military base, while all five runways were of the same length.

"Among the software we checked so far is the Male International Airport in Maldives, three airports in India and Sri Lanka, and one belonging to the US military base in Diego Garcia. All have a runway length of 1000 metres," the source told the Malay daily.

A Boeing 777-200 needs a runway of 1600m to land, according to Boeing's website.

And this article--

http://www.haveeru.com.mv/news/54067
Maldives police probe reported sighting of 'low flying jet'
Mar 18, 2014 - 09:44

Maldives police on Tuesday announced an investigation into reports that residents of the remote Maldives island of Kuda Huvadhoo in Dhaal Atoll have seen a "low flying jumbo jet" on the morning of the disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

But the police did not reveal any details.   

Whilst the disappearance of the Boeing 777 jet, carrying 239 passengers has left the whole world in bewilderment, several residents of Kuda Huvadhoo told Haveeru on Tuesday that they saw a "low flying jumbo jet" at around 6:15am on March 8.

They said that it was a white aircraft, with red stripes across it – which is what the Malaysia Airlines flights typically look like.

Eyewitnesses from the Kuda Huvadhoo concurred that the aeroplane was travelling North to South-East, towards the Southern tip of the Maldives – Addu. They also noted the incredibly loud noise that the flight made when it flew over the island.

A local aviation expert told Haveeru that it is "likely" for MH370 to have flown over the Maldives. The possibility of any aircraft flying over the island at the reported time is extremely low, the expert added.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »

Came across this Forum today and found it informative and interesting--discussion of MH Flight370.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1558464-mh-370-kul-pek-missing-search-operations-ongoing-please-see-wiki-171.html
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2014, 05:17:59 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10704769/Malaysian-Airlines-MH370-live.html

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2014, 08:49:01 PM »

Here is an interesting theory I came across today:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2014, 09:53:33 PM »

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/03/18/malaysian_airline_thailands_military_finally_turns_attention_to_radar_blips.html

Malaysian airline: Thailand’s military finally turns attention to radar blips
Published on Tue Mar 18 2014

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA—Investigators trying to solve the mystery of a missing Malaysian jetliner received some belated help Tuesday from Thailand, whose military said it took 10 days to report radar blips that might have been the plane “because we did not pay attention to it.”

Air force spokesman Air Vice Marshal Montol Suchookorn said the Thai military doesn't know whether the plane it detected was Flight 370.

Thailand's failure to quickly share possible information about the plane may not substantially change what Malaysian officials now know, but it raises questions about the degree to which some countries are sharing their defence data.

Flight 370 took off from Kuala Lumpur at 12:40 a.m. Malaysian time March 8 and its transponder, which allows air traffic controllers to identify and track the airplane, ceased communicating at 1:20 a.m.

Montol said that at 1:28 a.m., Thai military radar “was able to detect a signal, which was not a normal signal, of a plane flying in the direction opposite from the MH370 plane,” back toward Kuala Lumpur. The plane later turned right, toward Butterworth, a Malaysian city along the Malacca strait. The radar signal was infrequent and did not include any data such as the flight number.

When asked why it took so long to release the information, Montol said, “Because we did not pay any attention to it. The Royal Thai Air Force only looks after any threats against our country.” He said the plane never entered Thai airspace and that Malaysia's initial request for information in the early days of the search was not specific.

“When they asked again and there was new information and assumptions from (Malaysian) Prime Minister Najib Razak, we took a look at our information again,” Montol said. “It didn't take long for us to figure out, although it did take some experts to find out about it.”

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2014, 11:06:05 PM »

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2014/03/18/malayisa-airlines-timeline-flight-370

94-minute mystery: Timeline of Malaysia Flight 370
updated2:20 PM EDT, Tue March 18, 2014

All times local on Saturday March 8, 2014 (March 7, 11:41 a.m. ET -- switch to Eastern Daylight Savings Time had not happened):

12:41 a.m.: Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 departs Kuala Lumpur International Airport for Beijing.

1:07 a.m.: The onboard Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System, or ACARS, sends out what turns out to be its last communication.

(Source: CEO of Malaysia Airlines, Ahmad Jauhari Yahya, in Monday’s news conference, clarifying that ACARS did not necessarily shut down at that time.)

1:19 a.m.: Someone inside the cockpit, believed to be the co-pilot, makes the plane's last verbal communication with air traffic controllers, saying, "All right, good night." Those were the last words from Flight 370.

(Source: Yahya at Monday’s news conference, confirming that it was the co-pilot who spoke; he also reconfirmed the time.)

1:21 a.m.: The transponder -- which communicates the altitude, coordinates and aircraft call sign -- stops responding.

(Source: Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, director of the Malaysian Dept. of Civil Aviation, at news conference on March 12.)

1:22 a.m.: Thai military radar was tracking the signal of Flight 370 when it disappeared at 1:22 a.m. Malaysian time (12:22 a.m. Thai time), a Royal Thai Air Force spokesman tells CNN.

1:28 a.m.: Flight 370 was transmitting the normal flight path and commercial data, but then the Thai radar station in the southern Surathani province saw an unknown aircraft appear flying in the opposite direction at this time, a Royal Thai Air Force spokesman tells CNN. That aircraft might have been Flight 370.

Approx. 1:30 a.m.: Air traffic controllers lose contact with the plane​.

(Source: Malaysia Airlines CEO Yahya on March 13.)

1:37 a.m.: An expected ACARS transmission does not happen.

(Source: CEO Yahya, Monday news conference.)

2:15 a.m.: Malaysian military radar last detects what’s believed to be the plane, over the small island of Pulau Perak in the Strait of Malacca, hundreds of miles off course.

(Source: Malaysia’s Air Force Chief Rodzali Daud in briefing on March 12.)

6:30 a.m. (local and Beijing time): Expected Time of Arrival of Flight 370 in Beijing.

7:24 a.m.: Malaysia Airlines announces via Facebook that the aircraft lost contact with Subang Air Traffic Control at 2:40 am (that discrepancy in time is never explained, but later updates talk about the 1:30 a.m. loss-of-contact).

(Source: Malaysia Airlines Facebook page.)

8:11 a.m: More than seven hours after takeoff, a satellite makes the last electronic connection, known as a "handshake," with the plane.

(Source: Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, news briefing on March 15.)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.