April 20, 2024, 03:09:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malaysia Airlines 777 Flight MH370 - Missing - March 7, 2014  (Read 777510 times)
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« on: March 08, 2014, 12:08:27 PM »

Malaysia Airlines 777 Flight MH370 Goes Missing 2 Hours After Take-off, 227 Aboard Including 3 Americans (VIDEO) (Update: Oil Slicks Spotted)

Posted March 8, 2014 by Scared Monkeys

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/03/08/malaysia-airlines-777-flight-mh370-goes-missing-2-hours-after-take-off-227-aboard-including-3-americans/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 12:14:20 PM »

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »

One more possibility could be human error.  JMHO

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26498628
Missing Malaysia airliner: Hunt for clues begins
March 8, 2014

Although it has not been stated explicitly yet, there seems little doubt that Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has crashed and probably with great loss of life.

Rescue will inevitably turn into recovery - of wreckage and bodies - and the search for clues will begin.

What happened aboard the Boeing B777-200 twinjet has already become the subject of much speculation, but it is important to recognise that answers will only emerge after a detailed investigation.

A team from the US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) will already be on its way to provide technical assistance to the Department of Civil Aviation of Malaysia (DCA), which will probably lead the investigation.

So what might they look for?

Weather can almost certainly be ruled out as a cause. Conditions have been described in different ways, but the consensus is that the aircraft was airborne in near-perfect flying conditions.

This leaves just two main possibilities - catastrophic mechanical failure or an act of terrorism.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 12:46:08 PM »

Oil slick spotted in sea in search for missing Malaysian plane
4:30PM GMT 08 Mar 2014

The fate of flight MH370 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing remains unclear more than 12 hours after air traffic controllers lost touch with the plane.

However, Vietnamese authorities said they had spotted a 14-mile long oil slick 120 miles off the coast of Cape Ca Mau - the most southerly point of Vietnam's mainland.

A Vietnamese government statement said the slicks were spotted late on Saturday off the southern tip of Vietnam and were each between six and nine miles long. There was no confirmation that the slicks were related to the missing plane, but the statement said they were consistent with the kinds that would be produced by the two fuel tanks of a crashed jetliner.

Ahmad Jauhari Yahya, the chief executive of Malaysia Airlines, said there was no indication that the pilots had sent a distress signal, suggesting that whatever happened to the plane occurred quickly and possibly catastrophically.

<snipped>

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10684770/Oil-slick-spotted-in-sea-in-search-for-missing-Malaysian-plane.html

An aerial view of an oil spill seen from a Vietnamese Air Force aircraft searching for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane

The last reported position of Malaysian Airlines flight MH370

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 03:08:29 PM »

UPDATED
Malaysia Airlines: No 'evidence of any wreckage' 24 hours later
Posted: Mar 08, 2014 10:04 AM ET
Last Updated: Mar 08, 2014 3:04 PM ET

Malaysia Airlines has issued a statement Saturday saying an international search and rescue operation has "failed to find evidence of any wreckage" in trying to locate flight MH370, 24 hours after it went missing off Vietnam's coast carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew.

"The sea mission will continue overnight while the air mission will recommence at daylight. We are dispatching all information as and when we receive it," said the release.

<snipped>

There were no reports of bad weather and no sign why the Boeing 777-200ER would have vanished from radar screens about an hour after it took off from Kuala Lumpur for Beijing. There were no signs of sabotage nor claims of a terrorist attack.

However, in Europe, news reports and officials said at least two people on board may have been carrying stolen passports.

The Italian foreign ministry said in Rome that an Italian was listed on the flight's manifest although no national from the country was on board. They confirmed the man had reported his passport stolen in Thailand last August.

In Vienna, the Austrian foreign ministry said an Austrian listed among the passengers was safe and had reported his passport stolen two years ago while he was travelling in Thailand.

<snipped>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/malaysia-airlines-no-evidence-of-any-wreckage-24-hours-later-1.2565126

_____

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 03:30:04 PM »

The stolen passports may or may not have anything to do with the plane crash, I guess we'll have to wait and see.  It would appear there needs to be better coordination and sharing of data bases.  How did these two manage to get on a plane with stolen passports?  One was reported stolen two years ago, the other a last year.   

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/08/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane-missing/
Traces of oil may be clue in search for missing plane
March 8, 2014

Bits and pieces of information have begun to form, but it remains unclear how they fit into the bigger picture, if at all.
For instance, after the airline released a manifest, Austria denied that one of its citizens was onboard the flight as the list stated. The Austrian citizen was safe and sound, and his passport had been stolen two years ago, Austrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Martin Weiss told CNN.
Similarly, Italy's foreign ministry confirmed that no Italians were onboard MH370, even though an Italian was listed on the manifest.
Police in Italy said the man's passport was stolen last year.
A U.S. intelligence official said authorities are aware of reporting about lost or stolen passports used by passengers on the missing flight.

"No nexus to terrorism yet," the official said, "although that's by no means definitive. We're still tracking."
Malaysian authorities reiterated during a news conference that they are not ruling anything out regarding the missing aircraft.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 10:09:49 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03/09/malaysia-airlines-loses-contact-with-plane-carrying-23-people/
Interpol says no country checked its database before Malaysia flight
March 9, 2014

Interpol says no country checked its database for information about stolen passports that were used to board the Malaysia Airlines flight that disappeared with 239 people on board Saturday less than an hour after taking off from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, bound for Beijing.

In a sharply worded criticism of shortcomings of national passport controls, the Lyon, France-based international police body said information about the thefts of an Austrian passport in 2012 and an Italian passport last year was entered into its database after they were stolen in Thailand.

Interpol said in a statement it was investigating all other passports used to board Flight MH 370 and was working to determine the "true identities" of the passengers who used the stolen passports.

There is still no sign of the aircraft,” Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, director general of the Department of Civil Aviation, said during a news conference in Kuala Lumpur.

Rahman said that the search area has been increased to 50 nautical miles, from 20, and includes 34 aircraft and 40 ships. Aircraft are conducting 12-hour searches, until sundown, while ships continue the search through the night.

When pressed on reports of fake passports used by at least two passengers on board the flight and the possibility of a terrorist attack, Rahman re-stated that the priority is to find the aircraft and that any probe investigating a terror link is independent of the search mission.

Earlier, Malaysia’s air force chief told reporters that military radar indicated that the plane may have turned from its flight route before losing contact.

Air force chief Rodzali Daud didn't say which direction the plane might have taken when it apparently went off route.

"We are trying to make sense of this," he told a media conference. "The military radar indicated that the aircraft may have made a turn back and in some parts, this was corroborated by civilian radar."

Malaysia Airlines Chief Executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said pilots were supposed to inform the airline and traffic control authorities if the plane does start to return. "From what we have, there was no such distress signal or distress call per se, so we are equally puzzled," he said.

Earlier Sunday, Malaysia's defense and transport minister said that the identities of four of the plane's passengers are being investigated as "suspect." Hishammuddin Hussein, who holds both ministerial positions, said that "the four names are with me," but added that the investigation was focusing on "the entire passenger manifest." Hussein also said that investigators from the FBI had joined the probe.

Just 9 percent of fatal accidents happen when a plane is at cruising altitude, according to a statistical summary of commercial jet accidents done by Boeing. The plane was last inspected 10 days ago and found to be "in proper condition," Ignatius Ong, CEO of Malaysia Airlines subsidiary Firefly airlines, said at a news conference.

U.S. officials said late Saturday that a team of safety experts had been dispatched to Southeast Asia to assist in the investigation. Officials from the National Transportation Safety Board told Fox News that the team, which includes investigators from the agency and technical experts from the Federal Aviation Administration and Boeing, had been sent to the region despite the fact that the plane had not been located due to the lengthy travel time from the U.S. and the team's desire to be in a position to assist local authorities right away.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 10:15:01 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10686058/Why-are-we-still-in-the-dark-about-Malaysia-Airlines-disappearance.html
Why are we still in the dark about Malaysia Airlines disappearance?
Malaysia Airlines flight that disappeared in the early hours of Saturday was a modern plane, from a reputable airline, flying in good weather. What could have gone wrong?
March 9, 2014

Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah is described by friends as an 'aviation tech geek' who loved his job

The disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has left agonised relatives waiting for over 48 hours without answers – and the rest of the world has been asking how the plane could have dropped off the radar, seemingly without trace.
It was flying in clear weather. The Boeing 777-200 plane was only 11 years old, and considered one of the safest in the skies. It was also at "cruise" level, having already completed the statistically-higher-risk take off.
Furthermore, the pilot, 53-year-old Zaharie Ahmad Shah, was highly experienced and described by friends as an "aviation tech geek" who loved his job so much he even spent his days off tinkering with a flight simulator he had set up at home.
"He was an aviation tech geek. You could ask him anything and he would help you. That is the kind of guy he is," said a Malaysia Airlines co-pilot who had flown with Capt Zaharie in the past.
"We used to tease him. We would ask him, why are you bringing your work home," said another pilot who knew Capt Zaharie for 20 years. "He knew everything about the Boeing 777. Something significant would have had to happen for Zaharie and the plane to go missing. It would have to be total electrical failure."
Other questions have been raised as to why there has been no wreckage seen yet; why there was no distress call; and about the four stolen passports used to board the flights
"At this early stage, we're focusing on the facts that we don't know," said Todd Curtis, a former safety engineer with Boeing who worked on its 777 jumbo jets and is now director of the Airsafe.com Foundation.
The significance of the four faked passports – one from Italy, one from Austria, and two believed to be Chinese – is not yet known.
The Home Office says that 298,055 British passports were reported lost or stolen in the year 2011/12 – the most recent data available.
"The issue of the passports is not at all conclusive," said David Learmount, operations and safety editor for Flight International. "Thousands of faked passports are in circulation – usually to get into another country, or hide yourself. Bringing down jet planes is not normally a reason for this."
And he added that the immediate aftermath of the disappearance was not unusual.
"All we can say for certain is that this is not unheard of," he told The Telegraph. "We just have to accept that, for the moment, we do not know what has happened."
He explained that there were a series of similarities in the circumstances of the Air France flight, which crashed into the Atlantic in June 2009.
Both the Air France and the Malaysia Airlines flight disappeared off the radar in the early hours of the morning – a time when all humans are least able to react to challenging situations. Both accidents happened in the cruise section of the flight. Both airlines are highly regarded, and flying modern, well-maintained planes.
And both sets of pilots failed to send distress calls.
"With the Air France case, their plane sent signals to Paris – so they already knew that some of the flight instruments were not working," he said. "Malaysia Airlines might have similar information but not be releasing it.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 10:26:05 AM »

I've read there are now there were four stolen passports used on the Maylaysia Flight, but this article is mentioning the initial two. 

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
* U.S. official says 'strange object' is not debris from missing flight
*Tickets used with Austrian and Italian passports were bought from China Southern Airlines
*Radar data suggest the missing plane may have turned back, officials say
*But the pilot appears to have given no signal to authorities of changing course

U.S. official says 'strange object' is not debris from missing flight
Tickets used with Austrian and Italian passports were bought from China Southern Airlines
Radar data suggest the missing plane may have turned back, officials say
But the pilot appears to have given no signal to authorities of changing course

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/09/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/
Official: 'Strange object' not debris from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370
March 9, 2014

Stolen passports
Two people who traveled on the missing passenger jet, using the stolen passports of an Italian and an Austrian citizen, appear to have bought their tickets together.
The tickets were bought from China Southern Airlines in Thailand's baht currency at identical prices, according to China's official e-ticket verification system Travelsky. The ticket numbers are contiguous, which indicates the tickets were issued together.
Here's where the mystery deepens: Italy and Austria have said that none of their citizens were on board the plane. And officials say the Italian and Austrian whose names were on the passenger manifest both had their passports stolen in Southeast Asia in recent years.
The two tickets booked with China Southern Airlines both start in Kuala Lumpur, flying to Beijing, and then onward to Amsterdam. The Italian passport's ticket continues to Copenhagen, the Austrian's to Frankfurt.
Authorities say they are investigating the identities of some of those on board who appear to have issues with their passports.

Passenger manifest questioned
A fuller picture of what happened may not become available until searchers find the plane and its flight data recorder.
"We have not been able to locate anything, see anything," Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, the director general of civil aviation in Malaysia, told reporters Sunday.
Confusion over who exactly was on the plane has drawn particular attention, notably the case of the Italian and Austrian passports.
The passport mystery raised concerns about the possibility of terrorism, but officials cautioned that it was still too early to arrive at any conclusions.
A U.S. intelligence official said that no link to terrorism had been discovered so far, but that authorities were still investigating.
Another possible explanation for the use of the stolen passports is illegal immigration.
There are previous cases of illegal immigrants using fake passports trying to get into Western countries. And Southeast Asia is known to be a booming market for stolen passports.

Interpol database
Malaysian authorities have been in contact with counterterrorism organizations about possible passport issues, Hussein said earlier.
He didn't specify how many potential passport issues there were, saying authorities are looking at the whole passenger manifest.
The U.S. government has been briefed on the stolen passports and reviewed the names of the passengers in question but found nothing at this point to indicate foul play, said a U.S. law enforcement official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
Of the two passports in question, the Italian one had been reported stolen and was in Interpol's database, CNN law enforcement analyst Tom Fuentes said, citing sources at Interpol.
Additionally, no inquiry was made by Malaysia Airlines to determine if any passengers on the flight were traveling on stolen passports, he said. Many airlines do not check the database, he said.
Rahman, the Malaysian aviation official, declined to say whether the airline or Malaysian authorities had checked the database.

Disappearing during cruise
There is a precedent for a modern jetliner to fall from the sky while "in the cruise" and lie hidden for months, according to CNN aviation correspondent Richard Quest.
On June 1, 2009, Air France Flight 447 was en route from Rio De Janeiro to Paris when communications ended suddenly from the Airbus A330, another state-of-the-art aircraft.
It took four searches over the course of nearly two years to locate the bulk of flight 447's wreckage and the majority of the 228 bodies in a mountain range deep under the ocean. It took even longer to find the cause of the disaster.
In May 2011, the aircraft's voice recorder and flight data recorder were recovered from the ocean floor after an extensive search using miniature submersible vehicles.
It was not until July 2012 that investigators published their report, which blamed the crash on a series of errors by the pilots and a failure to react effectively to technical problems.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26502268
Missing Malaysia plane: Search resumes off Vietnam
March 8, 2014

In a statement, the airline urged "all Malaysians and people around the world to pray for flight MH370".

The plane vanished at 17:30 GMT Friday (01:30 local time Saturday).

It reportedly went off the radar south of Vietnam.

According to Malaysian Airlines, it last had contact with air traffic controllers 120 nautical miles off the east coast of the Malaysian town of Kota Bharu.

Texas firm Freescale Semiconductor says 20 of its Malaysian and Chinese employees were on the flight, according to a statement on its website.

Manifest for Flight MH370

153 Chinese including one child
38 Malaysians
7 Indonesians
6 Australians
5 Indians
4 French
3 Americans including one child
2 each from New Zealand, Ukraine and Canada
One each from Russia, Taiwan, Italy, Netherlands and Austria ( although both Italy and Austria deny any of their nationals were onboard)
Source: Malaysia Airlines

Boeing 777 fact sheet

Twin-engine jet launched in June 1995
One of the world's most popular long-distance planes
Seats between 300 and 380 passengers
Has flown around five million flights
Often used for non-stop flights of 16 hours or more
In September 2001 a crew member died in a re-fuelling fire on a 777 at Denver International Airport
In 2013 three Chinese women died when the 777 Asiana Flight 214 crashed in San Francisco

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 10:35:04 AM »

http://www.firstpost.com/world/live-search-on-for-missing-plane-hijacking-a-possibility-says-malaysian-govt-1424627.html
Live: Search on for missing plane, hijacking a possibility
March 9, 2014
By Arun George

The DG, Malaysian civil aviation  today at press conference said the government is currently investing any breach of security, while videos of the two passengers who had used stolen passports are being investigated too.  Two people who traveled on the missing passenger jet, used the stolen passports of an Italian and an Austrian citizen and appear to have bought their tickets together in Thailand. The DG also said that Australia and Thailand will join the investigation as the main focus is to find the missing Beijing-bound Boeing 777-200 plane. Authorities emphasized that finding the aircraft will help establish what exactly happened. On possible MH370 hijack, the civil aviation chief said, "We are not ruling (out) any possibility". They also confirmed that the search radius has been increased from 20 nautical miles to 50 nautical miles. Countries assisting in the search include: Vietnam, China, Singapore, United States, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Australia. Air search to take place between 7am and 7pm, while naval search will go on round the clock. Malaysia also searching in the Straits of Malacca due to reports that MH370 turned back.
He also said that 34 aircraft  and 40 ships are now involved in the multi-national search and rescue effort for the missing flight while the authorities have still not received  analysis report verifying whether the  oil from spill is from MH370. The Vietnamese navy had earlier reported two oil slicks near Vietnam’s Tho Chu island while the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) has also spotted oil slicks 20 nautical miles (37 km) away from the passenger jet’s last known position. Earlier in the day,  Malaysian military officials said the  flight may have changed course and turned back toward Kuala Lumpur.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 10:41:06 AM »

Looks like they're still looking at the two initial stolen passports and noting the number of four stolen passports was error. 

http://www.chron.com/news/world/article/Air-force-chief-Malaysia-jet-may-have-turned-back-5301204.php
Jet may have turned; suspicious passengers checked
March 9, 2014

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — International intelligence agencies joined the investigation Sunday into two passengers who boarded the missing Boeing 777 jetliner with stolen passports, as Malaysian authorities said radar images showed the plane may have turned back before vanishing.

The missing plane apparently fell from the sky at cruising altitude in fine weather, and the pilots were either unable or had no time to send a distress signal — unusual circumstances under which a modern jetliner operated by a professional airline would crash.

Malaysia's air force chief, Rodzali Daud, said radar indicated that the plane may have turned back, but did not give further details on which direction it went or how far it veered off course.

"We are trying to make sense of this," Daud said at a news conference. "The military radar indicated that the aircraft may have made a turn back, and in some parts this was corroborated by civilian radar."

Malaysia Airlines Chief Executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said pilots are supposed to inform the airline and traffic control authorities if the plane does a U-turn. "From what we have, there was no such distress signal or distress call per se, so we are equally puzzled," he said.

Authorities were checking on the identities of two passengers who boarded the plane with stolen passports. On Saturday, the foreign ministries in Italy and Austria said the names of two citizens listed on the flight's manifest matched the names on two passports reported stolen in Thailand.

"I can confirm that we have the visuals of these two people on CCTV," Malaysian Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said at a news conference late Sunday, adding that the footage was being examined. "We have intelligence agencies, both local and international, on board."

Hishammuddin declined to give further details, saying it may jeopardize the investigation.

"Our focus now is to find the aircraft," he said, adding that finding the plane would make it easier for authorities to investigate any possible foul play.

Interpol confirmed that at least two stolen passports used by passengers on the plane were registered in its databases. It said no one had checked the databases, but added that most airlines and countries do not usually check for stolen passports.

Hishammuddin said only two passengers had used stolen passports, and that earlier reports that the identities of two others were under investigation were not true.

White House Deputy National Security Adviser Tony Blinken said Sunday that the U.S. was looking into the stolen passports, but that investigators had reached no conclusions. He said it was premature to speculate whether the passengers using the stolen passports had a role in the incident.

In addition to the plane's sudden disappearance, which experts say is consistent with a possible onboard explosion, the stolen passports have strengthened concerns about terrorism as a possible cause. Al-Qaida militants have used similar tactics to try and disguise their identities.

Still, other possible causes would seem just as likely at this stage, including a catastrophic failure of the plane's engines, extreme turbulence, or pilot error or even suicide. Establishing what happened with any certainty will need data from flight recorders and a detailed examination of any debris, something that will take months if not years.

European authorities on Saturday confirmed the names and nationalities of the two stolen passports: One was an Italian-issued document bearing the name Luigi Maraldi, the other Austrian under the name Christian Kozel. Police in Thailand said Maraldi's passport was stolen on the island of Phuket last July.

A telephone operator on a China-based KLM hotline on Sunday confirmed that "Maraldi" and "Kozel" were both booked to leave Beijing on a KLM flight to Amsterdam on March 8. Maraldi was then to fly to Copenhagen, Denmark, on KLM on March 8, and Kozel to Frankfurt, Germany, on March 8.

She said since the pair booked the tickets through China Southern Airlines, she had no information on where they bought them.

Having onward reservations to Europe from Beijing would have meant the pair, as holders of EU passports, would not have needed visas for China.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 10:46:15 AM »

Disintegrated in midair or on the bottom of the ocean?    "The source" of this isn't named,  so I would take it with a grain of salt till we know more.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/09/us-exclusive-probe-plane-idUSBREA280FF20140309
Exclusive: Probe into missing Malaysia plane looks at possible mid-air disintegration - source
March 9, 2014

(Reuters) - Officials investigating the disappearance of a Malaysian airliner with 239 people on board are narrowing the focus of their inquiries on the possibility that it disintegrated in mid-flight, a senior source said on Sunday.

Malaysia Airlines flight 370 vanished after climbing to a cruising altitude of 35,000 feet between Kuala Lumpur and Beijing in the early hours of Saturday, but search teams have still not been able to make any confirmed discovery of wreckage in seas beneath the plane's flight path almost 48 hours after it took off.

"The fact that we are unable to find any debris so far appears to indicate that the aircraft is likely to have disintegrated at around 35,000 feet," said the source, who is involved in the investigations in Malaysia.

If the plane had plunged intact from such a height, breaking up only on impact with the water, search teams would have expected to find a fairly concentrated pattern of debris, said the source, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly on the investigation.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 01:25:48 PM »

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/24925435/vietnam-says-it-may-have-found-missing-jets-door
Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
March 9, 2014

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) - Vietnamese authorities searching waters for the missing Boeing 777 jetliner spotted an object Sunday that they suspected was one of the plane's doors, as international intelligence agencies joined the investigation into two passengers who boarded the aircraft with stolen passports.

More than a day and half after Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 went missing, no confirmed debris from the plane had been found, and the final minutes before it disappeared remained a mystery. The plane, which was carrying 239 people, lost contact with ground controllers somewhere between Malaysia and Vietnam after leaving Kuala Lumpur early Saturday morning for Beijing.

The state-run Thanh Nien newspaper cited Lt. Gen. Vo Van Tuan, deputy chief of staff of Vietnam's army, as saying searchers in a low-flying plane had spotted an object suspected of being a door from the missing jet. It was found in waters about 90 kilometers (56 miles) south of Tho Chu island, in the same area where oil slicks were spotted Saturday.

"From this object, hopefully (we) will find the missing plane," Tuan said. Thanh Nien said two ships from the maritime police were heading to the site.

Finding traces of an aircraft that disappears over sea can take days or longer, even with a sustained search effort. Depending on the circumstances of the crash, wreckage can be scattered over many square kilometers (miles). If the plane enters the water before breaking up, there can be relatively little debris.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 01:51:10 PM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-09/suspected-airplane-window-fragment-found-by-vietnam-searchers.html
Plane-Debris Hunt Turns Up Suspected Aircraft Window Part
March 9, 2014

Vietnamese searchers looking for a missing Malaysian Boeing Co. (BA) 777-200 said they found a suspected window fragment from an aircraft as efforts to learn the plane’s fate extended to scrutiny of closed-circuit television images of two passengers using stolen passports.

Dinh Viet Thang, head of Vietnam’s search-and-rescue steering committee, didn’t give further details on the discovery of the debris when contacted late yesterday by phone.

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 04:16:38 PM »

When did you learn how to post pictures?

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 05:56:35 PM »

When did you learn how to post pictures?

Klaas and DIL baby stepped me through the procedure more than once.  It eventually  clicked.

How ya doing Blonde?

Janet

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 05:58:40 PM »

Malaysia Airlines 777 Flight MH370 Goes Missing 2 Hours After Take-off, 227 Aboard Including 3 Americans (VIDEO) (Update: Oil Slicks Spotted)

Posted March 8, 2014 by Scared Monkeys

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/03/08/malaysia-airlines-777-flight-mh370-goes-missing-2-hours-after-take-off-227-aboard-including-3-americans/

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Still Missing: New Leads Explored in Plane Disappearance … Possibility Plane Turned Around and Went Down in the Andaman Sea, near Thailand’s Border

Posted March 9, 2014 by Scared Monkeys

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/03/09/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-still-missing-new-leads-explored-in-plane-disappearance-possibility-plane-turned-around-and-went-down-in-the-andaman-sea-near-thailands-border/#comments

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 06:12:18 PM »

UPDATED
Malaysia Airlines missing jet: object in water might be plane's door
Posted: Mar 09, 2014 12:24 AM ET Last Updated: Mar 09, 2014 3:49 PM ET

Vietnamese authorities searching waters for the missing Boeing 777 jetliner spotted an object Sunday that they suspected was one of the plane's doors, as international intelligence agencies joined the investigation into two passengers who boarded the aircraft with stolen passports.

More than a day and half after Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 went missing, no confirmed debris from the plane had been found, and the final minutes before it disappeared remained a mystery.

<snipped>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/malaysia-airlines-missing-jet-object-in-water-might-be-plane-s-door-1.2565649

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 06:14:26 PM »

Thanks for the updates Muffy.

Off to a family gathering at the home of my brother and sister-in-law.  I will check in later tonight.

Janet

_____

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.