March 28, 2024, 07:30:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amber Alert: Relisha Tenau Rudd 8yrs Old missing 3/2/14 Washington DC  (Read 24063 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: March 21, 2014, 02:29:40 PM »

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Relisha-Tenau-Rudd-Reported-Missing-From-SE-DC--251168541.html

Truck in Amber Alert Found in Md.; Search for 8-Year-Old Relisha Tenau Rudd Continues
Friday, Mar 21, 2014  |  Updated 2:24 PM EDT

An 8-year-old girl remains missing Friday, even after police found a vehicle described in an Amber Alert for her. Meanwhile, police are trying to unravel the mystery behind the death of a woman found during their search for the missing girl.

Relisha Tenau Rudd was last seen Feb. 26 at the D.C. Shelter for Families on the grounds of the old D.C. General Hospital in Southeast. On Thursday, police issued an Amber Alert for her, saying she was believed to be in the company of 51-year-old Kahlil Malik Tatum, who works as a janitor at the shelter.

But Thursday night in Hyattsville, Md., police found the white 1976 GMC truck they believed the two were traveling in; shortly after, police reissued their alert, which only contained a description of the missing girl.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 11:04:52 AM »

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/dc/2014/03/20/8-year-old-girl-missing-southeast-dc/6642457/

AMBER ALERT: DC Girl Missing; abductor charged in murder

Susan Phillips, WUSA 12:51 a.m. EDT March 22, 2014

WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- An Amber Alert is still active for 8-year-old Relisha Tenau Rudd. Her family is pleading with her abductor to return her home safely.

"Just bring my daughter home. That's all I want, just bring my daughter home," said Antonio Wheeler, Relisha's stepfather, pleading with Khalil Tatum.

Police believe Relisha is with Tatum, 51, a janitor at the homeless shelter where the girl had been living with her mother and Wheeler.

Thursday, while searching for Relisha and Tatum, Prince George's County police found Tatum's wife, beaten to death at a Red Roof Inn on Oxon Hill Road in Prince George's County.

Friday, authorities there charged Tatum with the death of his wife, Andrea Denise Tatum, 51.

D.C. police alerted PGPD that one of the cars sought in the Rudd case was seen at a Red Roof Inn. When officers arrived, they found a woman dead inside a room. The official says it appears she suffered from blunt force trauma.

Wheeler said the initial fear of his step-daughter being abducted intensified after learning that she could now be with a man police believe is a murderer.

"I have no idea where she is. No idea," he said.

Wheeler added that he was blind-sided by a man he thought he knew and trusted.

"Mr. Tatum had been helping us out (at the shelter). He'd been showing us the ropes, showing us around, telling us when the activity room closed and what programs they have going on. He's a good man, I never got no bad vibes or a salty taste in my mouth about him," said Wheeler.

He and Relisha's mother trusted Tatum enough to allow their daughter to go home with him. That was weeks ago.

They haven't been seen since.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 03:02:19 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/23/family-missing-girl-relisha-rudd-8-makes-plea-for-her-safe-return/
Family of missing girl Relisha Rudd, 8, makes plea for her safe return
March 23, 2014

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 09:11:54 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/23/relisha-rudd-missing-khalil-tatum_n_5016521.html
Shelter Janitor Kidnaps Homeless Girl, Kills Wife: Police
March 23, 2014

An Amber alert was issued for Rudd Wednesday, according to WJLA. On Thursday, Tatum's wife was found shot dead in a motel room that police searched as part of their investigation. Cops think Tatum pulled the trigger, and that he took the girl with him when he fled.

Police found Tatum's white 1976 GMC truck in Hyattsville, Md., on Thursday evening, but the suspect and the girl have yet to be found. The FBI has joined the search for Tatum, who is considered armed and dangerous, CBS News reported.

Administrators at Relisha's school contacted police after she failed to show up in class for several weeks. The girl's mother, Shamika Young, refused to file a missing persons report, according to WRC-TV.

In a tearful interview with the station, Young said she had known Tatum for years, and that she trusted him with her daughter.

"I didn’t see anything wrong with him. He’s a good guy," Young told WRC-TV Friday. "When [Relisha] did go out with him, he brought her back. He would take her shopping, took her to see Disney on Ice, he bought her a tablet for Christmas, took her out to eat with his granddaughter."

Critics of the case are outraged that it took so long for Relisha to be reported missing. Jamila Larson, executive director of a non-profit that works with homeless children in Washington, told WJLA that the girl's disappearance should have never happened.

“We’ve been trying to sound the alarm that the city needs to invest more services and more support and more eyes on these precious children to make sure their needs are being met and they’re not falling through the cracks," Lawson said.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 09:24:02 AM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-shelter-residents-say-janitor-sought-in-girls-disappearance-gave-gifts-to-children/2014/03/23/59469b3e-b2a3-11e3-8cb6-284052554d74_story.html?tid=hpModule_99d5f542-86a2-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394
D.C. shelter residents say janitor sought in girl’s disappearance gave gifts to children
March 23, 2014

Kahlil Malik Tatum, 51, is now the subject of a multistate search in connection with the disappearance of 8-year-old Relisha Tenau Rudd. Authorities say the girl’s parents, who live at the shelter, placed Relisha in Tatum’s care after he offered her a series of gifts.

Outside of his interactions with the residents at the shelter, little is known about Tatum and his wife, Andrea Denise Tatum, who was found dead of a gunshot wound Thursday.

Tatum was employed by the Community Partnership for the Prevention of Homelessness, a nonprofit organization that operates the shelter under contract with the city. Sue A. Marshall, its executive director, confirmed that Tatum worked for the group but did not know when he started working at the shelter and declined to comment further about him.

Court records indicate that Tatum, previously known as Karl Lee Tatum, was arrested and prosecuted several times since the early 1980s in the District and Virginia on breaking-and-entering and larceny charges, most recently in 2003.

In recent months, Tatum and his wife lived in an apartment in the Fairlawn section of Southeast Washington, not far from the Sousa Bridge. Neighbors there described the couple as quiet and unassuming.

Last June, Tatum was included among several plaintiffs in a lawsuit accusing the city of improperly denying prescription drug coverage to Medicaid recipients.

In the lawsuit, filed in federal court in the District, Tatum was said to be without “steady employment” and “relies on income from working odd jobs to pay for his living expenses.” It said Tatum needs medication to treat high blood pressure and had been on Medicaid since January 2012.

The lawsuit listed an address for Tatum at the Cedar Heights Apartments in Anacostia. A woman who answered the door there Sunday declined to comment on Tatum or his link to the missing girl.

“I know a janitor that has a baby by one of the people that live here,” said Robin Pinkney, 23, a mother of five who has lived at D.C. General since early February. “She met him while she was here. They flirt with girls.”

She shook her head. “I don’t trust no man around my kids, godfather or not,” she said. “I’m not giving my kids to any man.”

Pinkney said she has not heard the shelter staff say a word about Relisha’s disappearance. “If I hadn’t watched the news or come outside or my family hadn’t called me, I would have never known. . . . They should have had a meeting, and put out some rules — your kids can’t run around the halls unsupervised. It’s easy to snatch a kid from here.”

Since the news got out, some residents have talked about moving, the mothers said.

“People are saying they’re going to find somewhere to go — they don’t feel comfortable,” Pinkney said.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:29:42 AM »

From reading the last two articles I've posted ^^^^, it appears to me Tatum was grooming not only children at the shelter, but also their parents so they would trust him with their child.    There should have been a meeting asap at the shelter when this was discovered.  I wonder how many other children and their families may have been a victim of Tatum?  Perhaps more information could be gleaned.  I hope LE is able to interview some of these folks before they become afraid and leave.  They may have a troubled past or some sort of circumstances in their personal lives they wouldn't want to share with LE.  They may not trust LE. 

I hope Relisha can be found and Tatum put behind bars. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/25054183/amber-alert-still-in-place-for-missing-relisha-rudd
Amber Alert still in place for missing Relisha Rudd
March 24, 2014

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 11:36:41 PM »

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2014/03/25/fbi-releases-footage-of-missing-relisha-rudd-and-kahlil-tatum/

FBI Releases Footage of Missing Relisha Rudd and Kahlil Tatum
Posted by Perry Stein on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:12 pm

The Federal Bureau of Investigation released new footage earlier this evening showing missing 8-year-old Relisha Rudd walking down a hotel hallway with the man police suspect she is with, Kahlil Tatum, a janitor at the city homeless shelter where the girl was living. The footage was taken on Feb. 26—the day Relisha was reportedly last seen—in the Holiday Inn Express at 1917 Bladensburg Road NE and shows Relisha wearing pink boots and a Helly Hansen jacket with white stripes.

In a press release, the FBI asks the public to watch the video and see if they have seen Relisha or Tatum. The agency has offered a $25,000 reward for information that leads to the return of Relisha.

Relisha's mother says she last saw her daughter weeks ago when she allowed her to leave with Tatum. Tatum, however, never brought her back and when a school counselor noticed that Relisha hadn't attended class in several weeks, police started looking for her.

theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 06:40:22 AM »

This story is so disturbing on so many levels. I can not imagine letting my child go HOME with someone when I did not know him well. I can not imagine not having a meltdown and calling the police immediately when she did not return as promised - might wait a few hours but not a few days or weeks. Makes me wonder what the parents got in exchange for ignoring what was going on?

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 08:42:50 AM »

Amber Alert: FBI offers reward for missing D.C. girl

FBI and Prince George's County Police each offer $25,000 in missing Washington, D.C., girl case.

March 26, 2014 at 7:29 AM

March 26 (UPI) -- The FBI announced a reward of $25,000 for information leading to the return of missing Washington, D.C., girl Relisha Tenau Rudd, for whom an Amber Alert was issued Thursday

Prince George's County Police are also offering a $25,000 reward for information leading to Kahlil Tatum's arrest and indictment, CBSLocal.com reported.  snipped

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/03/26/Amber-Alert-FBI-offers-reward-for-missing-DC-girl/5961395831905/#ixzz2x4aC6TA4

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 08:58:14 AM »

This story is so disturbing on so many levels. I can not imagine letting my child go HOME with someone when I did not know him well. I can not imagine not having a meltdown and calling the police immediately when she did not return as promised - might wait a few hours but not a few days or weeks. Makes me wonder what the parents got in exchange for ignoring what was going on?

You're feelings are very similar to mine, TBM.   

It's just my opinion, but I believe Tatum not only groomed Relisha and other young girls, but also their parents and it sounds like also the shelter Relisha was in as part of the the process of getting what he wanted.  The articles say he bought gifts for Relisha and other children. He bought a tablet for Relisha for Christmas, took her to Disney on ice etc, according to one of the article up thread.

Sometimes I see comments from poster that say how creepy a guy looks etc.  How does a pedophile look?  He (and yes she!) can look just like your neighbor, coach, minister etc.  He/she can be very charming, handsome etc.  There's no "P" on their forehead to warn us.   

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-shelter-residents-say-janitor-sought-in-girls-disappearance-gave-gifts-to-children/2014/03/23/59469b3e-b2a3-11e3-8cb6-284052554d74_story.html?tid=hpModule_99d5f542-86a2-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394
D.C. shelter residents say janitor sought in girl’s disappearance gave gifts to children
March 23, 2014

http://www.readthehook.com/109917/charm-pedophiles-secret-weapon
Charm: A pedophile's secret weapon
Follow @readthehook
By Janis Jaquith | janis@radioessays.com
Published online 1:42pm Thursday Jul 25th, 2013
and in print issue #1230 dated Thursday Jul 25th, 2013

When a pedophile targets a child he would like to sexually molest, he grooms the child. He singles him or her out for attention, for special times together, for gifts and treats. He wants the child to like him, to trust him— to spend time alone with him.
Additionally, a pedophile will groom the community he lives in. If you are in that community, you are being targeted, as surely as the child this man aims to have sex with. Because he needs you, he needs all of us, to like him, to trust him, to protect and enable him to continue his horrific, hidden rampage.

Of course, the overwhelming majority of men who coach, minister, teach, or otherwise come in contact with our children, are genuinely good people who would not dream of harming any child. How are we to discern the good guys from the bad guys?

Dr. Salter advises us to take seriously any disclosure by a child who reports sexual abuse. Do not dismiss it as impossible. Watch for red flags, for those “uh-oh” moments when something doesn’t seem quite right. Like when a man singles out a child for attention and small gifts, attempts to separate the child from others with offers of trips to ball games, or sleepovers.

She recommends that we approach pedophilia the way medical personnel approach AIDS: They don’t think every patient they treat has AIDS, but the doctors and nurses protect themselves with gloves, and when they draw blood, they assume it’s possible that any patient could have AIDS, and could therefore be a danger to staff. So they use the same protective protocol with every patient, whether or not the patient looks like someone with AIDS.

Assume anyone could be a pedophile, and see to it that your child is not his victim.
Pedophiles usually go for the easy target: The fatherless child, the one whose parent drops him off at soccer practice, rather than sticking around and watching over him. The child whose parents can be conned into allowing the molester to spend time alone with him.

She advises us to think like a child molester. What situations are ideal for finding children to target? Schools, churches, scouting, mentoring programs, lessons of any kind such as music, martial arts, swimming. Those settings will attract child molesters.

Just as Willie Sutton is reported to have said, when asked why he robbed banks, “Because that’s where the money is,” child molesters gravitate to these settings because that’s where the children are.

They say it takes a village to raise a child. It also takes a village to protect a pedophile. It’s quite possible that a child molester is grooming you, whether you have a child or not.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 08:48:37 AM »

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/03/relisha-rudd-police-searching-kenilworth-park-in-northeast-101579.html

Relisha Rudd: Police searching Kenilworth Park in Northeast
By John Gonzalez
March 27, 2014 - 08:42 am

WASHINGTON (WJLA) - Police are searching Kenilworth Park in Northeast D.C. in connection with missing 8-year-old Relisha Rudd.

Metropolitan Police, U.S. Park Police, federal authorities and K-9 units are all engaged in the search. Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy Lanier is also on the scene.

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 06:55:55 PM »

finally a timeline i can understand, just wow, and the pedo article hmmm, i have to do some
digging now, as we have a man that has asked a couple of times that i know of, if so and so
could go here or here, as far as i know the parents have said no, i thought it weird as he is not
a sanctioned mentor for any organisation, he is just a volunteer as i am, i wont say what program
we volunteer at, our work consists help feed,clean, put equipment back,(sometimes with kids help)
break food area down,as well as put up, the area is use for for several purposes, im only there
2x a week, not sure about the man
maybe i should just be blunt an ask him, see what reaction i get

timeline
Timeline: Disappearance of Relisha Rudd
http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/local/timeline-disappearance-of-relisha-rudd/891/

imgs
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/search-for-8-year-old-relisha-rudd-continues/2014/03/27/1ba67d62-b5e6-11e3-8cb6-284052554d74_gallery.html#item0

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 08:01:10 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/03/28/8-year-old-girl-missing/6999141/
Search for D.C. girl now called a 'recovery' effort
March 28, 2014

On March 2, police determined that Tatum bought some black 42-gallon trash bags, a shovel and lime or lye — a chemical sometimes used in the burying of bodies — in the District and was seen at the Kenilworth Aquatic Center and Park soon after those purchases, said Lanier.

"This trash bag thing really has me scared now," said Belinda Wheeler, Relisha's step-grandmother. "You're not going to do no lawnscaping, landscaping or whatever. Why you buying trash bags? Makes me think (Tatum is) trying to hide something. He's trying to hide something."

Tatum was seen at work and other places, between March 2nd and March 20, says Lanier, but Relisha was not with him.

D.C. police officers, search dogs and FBI agents combed an area of Kenilworth Park on Thursday looking for something in connection with the girl's disappearance.

"We're not making any assumptions but I think it would be prudent for us to search, and this is a very large area," Lanier said. "We cannot ignore the possibility that he may have killed her.

"To me, that sounds like she's dead," said Wheeler. "I don't want to think this, I want her brought back home, but once again, once you're under pressure you're liable to do anything," she added about Tatum, who Wheeler thinks may panic and hurt Relisha.

Relisha has been missing since Feb. 26. She had been living at the D.C. General homeless shelter in the District with her mother and stepfather. Tatum was the janitor at the shelter. An Amber Alert was issued for Relisha on March 20.

According to Lanier, Relisha's mother told officials that Tatum was her godfather and Relisha was with him with her permission. Relisha's mother added that there had been no issues in the past with Tatum.

The FBI on Wednesday placed Kahlil Tatum on its Most Wanted list for murder.

Following leads in the search for Tatum and Relisha, police found Tatum's wife, Andrea Denise Tatum, beaten to death in an Oxon Hill, Md., hotel room, and no sign of Tatum and the girl.

He has also been charged by the United States Attorney's Office in Maryland for unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 08:50:07 AM »

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/25097720/search-for-missing-8-year-old-relisha-rudd-continues-at-dc-park#axzz2xGeRvidK

Search for missing 8-year-old Relisha Rudd continues at DC park

Posted: Mar 28, 2014 2:54 AM PST Updated: Mar 28, 2014 6:13 AM PST

Police are continuing their search of a D.C. park Friday for missing 8-year-old Relisha Rudd.

Authorities spent Thursday searching for the missing girl at Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens in Northeast D.C. No evidence had been located by the time the search was called off Thursday evening. Police expect to provide an update midday on Friday.

Police Chief Cathy Lanier said during a Thursday news conference that the search for Rudd is a "recovery operation."

Lanier also released new information about the date the little girl was last seen.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 03:46:37 PM »

So sad for this little girl. Hardly any news about her either

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 10:51:47 AM »

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/03/divers-return-to-kenilworth-park-in-search-of-relisha-rudd-101649.html

Relisha Rudd Search: Authorities search Days Inn where Tatum believed to have stayed
By The Associated Press, Robert Lyles
March 29, 2014 - 04:29 pm

WASHINGTON (WJLA/AP) - D.C. police stormed the Gateway Days Inn on New York Avenue Friday night, a search warrant in hand for room 245.

Continue reading

The hotel's clerk told ABC7 off-camera that he checked 51-year-old Kahlil Tatum into room 245 on March 1, along with his Chevy SUV.

Tatum is now wanted for the murder of his wife, and for the March 1 disappearance of 8-year-old Relisha Rudd.

Recently, ABC7 uncovered an Instagram video of Relisha, from an account in her's mother name, Shamika Young.

The video is time-stamped March 1 - which is important, because Relisha's mother originally reported seeing her last three days earlier, before the 1st of March.

We now know that Tatum was at the Days Inn on March 1 - a place where, guests say, you can easily hide in plain sight.

Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 11:57:37 AM »

8 Year Old Relisha Rudd Missing Since 2/26/14 in Washington, DC … Amber Alert Issued (Update: 51 Year Old Kahlil Malik Tatum Wanted in Andrea Denise Tatum’s Murder)(Update: DC Police: “We cannot ignore the possibility that he may have killed her.”)(Update: Dive Teams Search Waters of Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens)

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/03/23/8-year-old-relisha-rudd-missing-since-22614-in-washington-dc-amber-alert-issued-update-51-year-old-kahlil-malik-tatum-wanted-in-andrea-denise-tatums-murder/

UPDATE III: Dive Teams Search the Waters of Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens.

D.C. police spokesman Hugh Carew said dive teams were searching the Anacostia River in the 700-acre park in Northeast Washington, DC.
BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 05:39:17 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/03/body-in-dc-park-may-be-girls-suspected-kidnapper/

Mar 31, 2014 3:48pm

Police in the nation’s capital today said they are looking into whether a body found in a park is that of a man suspected of kidnapping an 8-year-old homeless girl weeks ago, a case full of mystery and missed opportunities that has gripped the Washington area.

Relisha Rudd was last seen weeks ago with a 51-year-old janitor, Kahlil Malik Tatum, who worked in the shelter her family called home. When the girl failed to show up at school, city authorities reached out to Rudd’s mother, who may have given Tatum initial permission to spend time with her daughter outside of the shelter, a law enforcement source said. There is still no sign of the girl.

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.