April 24, 2024, 04:27:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "18 years of school, and now I'm an over-educated nanny" -Obamanomics in Action?  (Read 1674 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: March 29, 2014, 02:06:09 PM »

You've probably heard about the array of problems facing millennials as we graduate and attempt to enter the job market. Well, what you've been hearing is true.

"Emily, would you please put a bowl of water on the floor so I can drink like a dog?"

It was a sweet and funny request, and I was happy to do it. But it was also a reminder, once again, that I work for a 4-year-old.

You've probably heard about the vast array of problems facing my generation as we graduate and attempt to enter the job market. As a 24-year-old recent college grad, I can tell you that what you've been hearing is true.

I graduated last May with unpaid internships waiting for me in Mexico, Spain and Nicaragua. Even more exciting, my research proposal had been accepted, and I was all set to go to Namibia for three months of studying baby baboons. I had a passable GPA, a kick-ass resume and a nagging worry that all was for naught.

"To study the social and behavioral sciences is a labor of love," my professor told our graduating class, "because you aren't in it for the money!"

And sure enough, after an incredibly frustrating and depressing series of failed attempts to find funding for my research projects, watching my would-be departure dates slip by one at a time, I finally took a job as a nanny.

"...Education was the answer for improving one's status and expanding opportunities. And now, for the first time in the history of America, it isn't. And we, the first generation having to confront this new reality, have no idea how to make ourselves employable."

A few days ago, the 6-year-old sister of my 4-year-old was sitting at the table complaining about having to do her homework. She whined on and on, but I remained firm: "You must study hard," I said, "so you can grow up to be a nanny!"

read more here - http://www.latimes.com/opinion/commentary/la-oe-koss-underemployment-millennials-20140330,0,7464135.story#axzz2xNPWML6z

The ruling class and the elite think we need more immigrants, legal and illegal.  Where are the jobs?  The opportunities for every day people?  College graduates?

Where is the justice for good people?  People following the rules?  Self supporting people?

Where are the jobs?  Hope for the future?  Real answers to $17 TRILLION in debt?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.