March 29, 2024, 02:06:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Story by Casa.  (Read 4703 times)
casa
Monkey Junky

« on: August 04, 2006, 01:40:36 AM »

The Night I Met a Ghost

As a child I always loved ghost stories and even though I would never admit it, I loved being scared.  I would read every book I could find on ghosts, and when a horror movie was showing at the local theater I couldn't wait to get there.  I didn't think this attraction for the supernatural was strange because all my friends also seemed to enjoy discussing the idea of ghosts.  While most of the girls admitted to being scared silly, of course, the boys laughed and talked of how no ghost would ever frighten them.  My parents, good naturedly, went along with my love of ghost stories but all the while made sure that I knew that these were only stories.  I agreed with them that the stories were that, only stories, but still in the back of my mind there was that little bit of doubt.  Then what happened to me one night convinced me, at least, for a minute or two, that there really are ghosts.

About sixth grade, when I and my friends were around eleven or twelve years old a miraculous change happened - we had been noticing the boys for a while but they finally had begun to acknowledge that we girls were actually humans worthy of spending time with.  Our all-girls pajama parties suddenly turned into boy and girl parties.

This particular year it became my honor to hold our first boy-girl Halloween party.  Everyone thought that this was a wonderful idea especially since across the street from my house was a deserted dirt road with a cemetery at the end of it.  It just so happened that also on this road was an old, dilapidated house that no one had lived in for a while.

The night of the party arrived with everyone in high spirits.  The house was gaily decorated with black and orange streamers, cut out witches, black cats, and ghosts.  No one could doubt that it was Halloween.  Everyone was having a wonderful time eating, dancing, talking, and bobbing for apples.  By this time it was very dark, and someone suggested that we take a walk across the street.  Everyone readily agreed, not wanting to be labeled a "chicken".

We all bravely marched out the front door and crossed the road.  It was dark, but the moon was bright, and we could see clearly where we were going.  Our group moved down the dark, dirt road toward the cemetery.  All the while we girls were discussing the possiblity of our meeting a ghost the boys were laughingly saying that they hoped to meet one because they would really show him!

As we neared the cemetery, we gathered a little closer together.  Even the boys grew a little more watchful, although they would never admit it.  We arrived at the cemetery safe and sound.  We stood at the edge and looked around us.  Even the boys agreed that they could see just fine from the edge of the road.  The white tombstones gleamed brightly in the moonlight.  A breeze gently stirred the tree branches to give back a soft rustling sound.  No one said a word and most held their breath.  A tall statue within the cemetery seemed to stand as a guard to the many souls resting there.  However, hard as we tried we could see no ghosts moved about.  Not a sound could we hear except the gentle rustling of the trees and our own breathing.

After a few minutes we decided to march bravely home.  We were a little more relaxed on our return trip, sure that if there had been any ghosts lurking around we had scared them away.  We were laughing and talking as we neared the old house sitting silently on the edge of the dirt road.  Suddenly above our voices we heard a sound.  At first we thought it was only the wind howling through the trees, but as we listened it grew louder.  About this time we had drawn even with the old house. At first when we saw a glimpse of white we thought that is was only an errant piece of paper or a scrap of cloth left by the last inhabitants of the old house.  But as we stopped and looked closer, the speck of white grew larger and the sound grew louder.  Suddenly we realized that the sound and the fluttering white object were one and the same.  At last we had seen our ghost!  As our ghost moved through the door of the old house it only took a moment for us to decide that it was time to get home.  Our brave boys were the first ones through the door!  Everyone began to talk at once as the ghost took on many different sizes.  All did agree that we had truely had a remarkable experience.  As we excitedly talked among ourselves my mother walked in the back door and smilingly said, "My, you all look as if you've seen a ghost!"
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 03:25:52 AM »

Casa, you sure tell a good story, I felt like I was there.  If someone said boo to me while I was reading, I would have jumped right out of my skin. Shocked Shocked Shocked

You have finally answered that age old dilemma--Why did the chicken cross the road?  To see a ghost, of course.   Laughing

Casa wrote:

Everyone readily agreed, not wanting to be labeled a "chicken".

We all bravely marched out the front door and crossed the road.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 03:55:41 AM »

That's not only a cute story  but a great memory of a very wonderful night.  No doubt your friends all recall it with a smile and a bit of a chill when they remember what was their "ghost" that night.  

I hope you share that with your classes.  It was written very well and was not only exciting but warm and humorous as well.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
cp405
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 03:32:18 PM »

Nice story casa, and so well written.
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 09:39:32 AM »

What a great story.  I was a nervous wreck just reading it.  Wonderful job, casa.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 06:28:43 PM »

Thank you all for your sweet remarks!  The story is all true and a memory I cherish.  I have always liked to write but haven't had much time in the past 25 years!  I've been too busy raising 3 girls and being a single mom with more than one job for the past 16 years.  Now that the youngest is going to college I might start trying to be creative again!! ha ha
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 10:00:58 PM »

Casa,  even if you don't have the time to write now,  you are excellent  writer and held us all to our seats while we read.  You most definately should persue writing some day.

That was such a wonderful story!

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 01:37:17 AM »

Quote from: "Dihannah1"
Casa,  even if you don't have the time to write now,  you are excellent  writer and held us all to our seats while we read.  You most definately should persue writing some day.

That was such a wonderful story!

Thank you so much, Dihannah!  I really would like to write more and see about doing something with it.  I know it won't make me rich but I think it would be fun!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.