April 25, 2024, 02:39:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Iraqi claimants 'conspired' to win compensation hand-outs, hears inquiry"  (Read 986 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: April 17, 2014, 02:07:04 AM »

Iraqis who accused British troops of taking part in torture and unlawful killing were part of a conspiracy to win compensation payments and pervert the course of justice, a public inquiry has heard.

Lawyers for the Ministry of Defence and British personnel in the long-running Al-Sweady inquiry said nine Iraqis who made the claims had “exaggerated” their accounts and were driven by financial motives.

It also heard for the first time that a key document was not disclosed during earlier legal proceedings by lawyers for the Iraqi claimants which could have “stopped the public inquiry in its tracks”.

The four-year inquiry, examining claims of illegal activity by British soldiers after they were ambushed by insurgents in May 2004, has already cost the taxpayer £27 million and taken live evidence from nearly 300 witnesses.

read more here - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10770930/Iraqi-claimants-conspired-to-win-compensation-hand-outs-hears-inquiry.html

I wonder how much the US has paid out in similar cases?  Cost to taxpayers?  How many settlements do not make the news?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.