March 28, 2024, 03:28:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Police fatally shoot 93-year-old woman in Central Texas  (Read 13034 times)
BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« on: May 07, 2014, 02:03:02 PM »

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/25454555/central-texas-woman-93-fatally-shot-by-police#ixzz313S7Zqj6

Posted: May 07, 2014 12:06 PM CDT
Updated: May 07, 2014 12:08 PM CDT
By: The Associated Press

HEARNE, Texas (AP) - A 93-year-old Central Texas woman has been fatally shot at her home by a police officer answering a call about a person with a gun.

Police in Hearne on Wednesday did not immediately release the name of the woman who died at a hospital in Bryan.

Officers on Tuesday night responded to a 911 call about a disturbance involving a woman with a gun. Investigators did not immediately say if the elderly woman who was killed was the same individual.

The officer has been put on paid administrative leave. Robertson County District Attorney Coty Siegert says the case will be presented to a grand jury. Texas Rangers are also investigating.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/25454555/central-texas-woman-93-fatally-shot-by-police#ixzz313S7Zqj6
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 09:27:50 PM »

WTH  This makes me so  93 years old. Hope they fire his azz.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 11:12:54 AM »

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article/Central-Texas-woman-93-fatally-shot-by-police-5459956.php
Police: 93-year-old woman fatally shot by officer
May 7, 2014

HEARNE, Texas (AP) — A 93-year-old Central Texas woman was fatally shot at her home by a police officer when after she allegedly brandished a gun, the Hearne Police Department said Wednesday.

Pearlie Golden, a longtime resident of Hearne who was affectionately known to her neighbors as Ms. Sully, was shot Tuesday night by Officer Steven Stem, Robertson County District Attorney Coty Siegert said. Stem was responding to a 911 call about a disturbance involving a woman with a gun.

The Hearne Police Department said in a written statement that Golden "brandished a firearm" when Stem encountered her. He then shot her multiple times.

A revolver believed to be the weapon Golden had at the time of the shooting was found at the scene by officers, the statement said. She was taken to a hospital in nearby Bryan where she died from the injuries.

The investigation is being handled by the Texas Rangers.

"She did have a gun. ... Now, what she was doing with it, that is the ultimate question," said Siegert.

City attorney Bryan Russ Jr. said the officer has been put on paid administrative leave as is standard protocol when an officer is involved in a shooting. "What we believe is that she was instructed to drop the weapon, that is my understanding," Russ said.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 11:22:56 AM »

It's really sad to see a 93 year old woman shot and killed.  I'm waiting for more information before making judgement.  If the investigation finds the officer shot her and it was avoidable, he should face the consequences.  However, I don't know yet why he shot her and what the circumstances were.  Who called 911 to report the disturbance of a woman with a gun?  Was she threatening anyone with the gun, including responding officers?  Did the lady have a history of mental illness and/or dementia?  It breaks my heart to know a person has lived on this earth for 93 years and they died in their home shot to death.  However, keep in mind a 93 year old with a gun can kill a person as well as a 20 year old with a gun.  I noticed in some of the comments, some wondered why she wasn't tazed or why they didn't shoot her in the leg.  An LE training officer told me if the person has a firearm and is pointing it at anyone and they are asked/told to put it down and they don't, the results could be lethal and tasing wouldn't be an option.   And trying to shoot someone in the leg?  They told me a gun pointed at them or anyone else can be lethal, and they are trained to shoot mass (chest area).  It can be very difficult to try to shoot someone's leg, keeping in mind this person could shoot and kill.  Best case scenario to me in a disturbance call with a gun would be to de-escalate the situation and disarm.  I wish that had been the case.  Why it wasn't, I don't know.  We will need to find out.

All jmho.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:14:16 PM »

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/25469556/texas-mayor-fire-officer-who-shot-93-year-old
Texas mayor: Fire officer who shot 93-year-old
May 8, 2014

HEARNE, Texas (AP) - The mayor of a small Texas town where a 93-year-old was shot by police says he will recommend that the officer be fired.

Hearne Mayor Ruben Gomez said Thursday the community has lost confidence after Pearlie Golden was shot this week at her home. Authorities say Officer Stephen Stem was responding to a 911 call about a disturbance involving a woman and a gun.

Hearne police have said Golden "brandished a gun" Tuesday night when Stem encountered her. The officer fired multiple times.

Longtime residents and some activists from nearby Houston protested outside Hearne's small police headquarters. Retired teacher William Foster says there's disbelief that an officer could shoot a woman in her 90s under any circumstance.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 07:16:17 PM »

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Quanell-X-leading-protest-over-officer-involved-shooting-of-93-year-old-Texas-woman-258497791.html
Quanell X leading protest over officer-involved shooting of 93-year-old Texas woman
May 8, 2014

HEARNE, Texas -- The New Black Panther Party gathered Thursday in the town of Hearne after a police officer there shot and killed a 93-year-old woman.
Houston activist Quanell X and other organizers are calling it a “Protest for Peace" after the shooting that left 93-year-old Pearlie Golden dead, according to KBTX-TV.
The group was met by the town's mayor as they started their march in front of a busy store.
Some held signs that read, "No justice. No peace."
The group plans to march to Hearn's police headquarters.
According to the Robertson County District Attorney's Office, it was late Tuesday when police responded to a 911 call about a lady waving a gun around outside a home on Pin Oaks Street.

When Officer Stephen Stem arrived, he asked Golden to “put down the weapon and then ultimately fired his own sidearm, wounding Miss Golden.”

Multiple witnesses tell KBTX they heard at least five shots. Golden was pronounced dead at St Joseph's Hospital in Bryan before 10 p.m. Tuesday.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 07:22:29 PM »

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Quanell-X-leading-protest-over-officer-involved-shooting-of-93-year-old-Texas-woman-258497791.html?gallery=y&c=y

Credit: KBTX
Houston activist Quanell X and other organizers are calling it a “Protest for Peace" after the shooting that left 93-year-old Pearlie Golden dead, according to KBTX-TV.

The 93-year-old woman was shot Tuesday night at her house on Karney Street in the town of Hearne, Texas.

Credit: Robertson County News
Stephen Stem, police officer who shot the 93-year-old woman in Hearne.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »

(Bolded by me)  I wonder if the gun she had was his old service revolver?  Why was she so upset that someone called 911 to report a disturbance with a gun?  Was someone giving Ms. Sully a bad time?  Or was she upset and confused? 

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Friends-Pearlie-Golden-was-Family-258381831.html
Friends: Pearlie Golden was Family
May 7, 2014

HEARNE, Texas - Friends of a 93-year-old woman shot and killed by a Hearne Police officer say she was more like family to them.

Pearlie Golden, known to friends as Ms. Sully, was shot around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at her home off Pin Oaks Street in Hearne. Investigators said Golden had a gun and refused to put it down. The case is under investigation.

Andrew Washington lives nearby and has known Golden for 25 years. He said he was working in his yard when he heard about five gunshots.

"I didn't think much of it, because I was thinking it was on the other street," said Washington.

Washington said after the shots, he heard someone shout "Don't shoot her no more!"

Joyce O'Neil was friends with Golden for more than five decades, and took the news of her death hard.

"It's hard. You can look in my face and see," said O'Neil. "She'd come over and sit on the patio. We'd sit on the patio all the time. I'm going to miss her."

Golden was well known in the community. Friends said she could often be seen walking through the neighborhood collecting aluminum cans for recycling.

Waymon Webster is all too familiar with the officer who, police said, shot and killed Golden, Officer Stephen Stem.

In December 2012, Stem fatally shot Waymon's cousin, Tederalle Satchell. Stem was eventually cleared by the grand jury.

"What are they going to do, let him go, so he can smile and hold another pistol? You know what I mean? It's not right," said Webster.

News 3 was told Golden's late husband was a former police officer with the Hearne Police Department.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »

(See my bolded blue)  It appears Pearlie Golden was upset about not being able to have her driving license renewed and she was fighting with her nephew over his trying to take away her car keys.  She got out a gun and pointed it at her nephew and he called the police.  I feel really bad for her.  To lose car keys is to lose mobility and freedom.  My mom is very close to losing her driving privileges.  However, getting out a gun doesn't solve anything.  In the article below, a relative asked why the officer didn't fire a warning shot in the air and maybe she would have put the gun down.  Frankly, that sounds like something out of a movie or tv.  When shots are fired in the air, they have to land somewhere.  And what if the shot startled or scared her and she fired her gun?  Just sad.  And the person said they didn't see her shooting anyone.  She was very obviously very distraught and maybe she wasn't in her right mind.  Pointing a gun at your own nephew?  Very scary.    Even if the officer is no billed by the grand jury, his life is finished in that area and law enforcement, imo. 

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Hearne-PD-Officer-Involved-Shooting-leaves-Elderly-Woman-Injured-258213801.html
Elderly Woman Shot & Killed By Hearne Police Officer
May 7, 2014

Pearlie Golden (late 1980's)

HEARNE - UPDATE: Wednesday 5:55 p.m.
Hearne Police say the 93-year-old woman who was shot and killed by one of their officers was armed with a gun.

According to the Robertson County District Attorney's Office, police responded to a 911 call about 6:30 Tuesday evening about a lady waving a gun around, outside a home on Pin Oaks Street.

News 3 has learned the person who has called 911 is Pearlie Golden's nephew. A few days ago, the Texas Department of Public Safety refused to renew her driver’s license. The nephew was trying to take her keys away. Golden got upset, grabbed her gun and threatened him.

When Officer Stephen Stem arrived, he asked Golden to “put down the weapon and then ultimately fir(ed) his own sidearm, wounding Miss Golden.”

Multiple witnesses tell us they heard at least five shots. Golden was pronounced dead at St Joseph's Hospital in Bryan before 10:00 p.m. Tuesday.

A group of citizens are organizing a candlelight vigil. It will be held tonight at 7:00, in front of Golden's home.

Stem has been placed on paid administrative leave. The Texas Rangers, Hearne Police and the Robertson County District Attorney's Office are investigating. The case will eventually be presented to a grand jury.

“While it is too early in the investigation to comment on any of the facts or evidence stated above, I can say that this was a very tragic occurrence,” said District Attorney Coty Siegert. “My prayers go out to the family members of Miss Golden and to the Hearne Community as a whole.”

This is the second time Stem has been involved in a deadly shooting.

Stem joined the Hearne Police Department on July 22, 2012. Less than six months later, he shot and killed Tederalle Satchell. Police say Satchell was shooting a gun from a car in the Columbus Village Apartments parking lot. A Robertson County Grand Jury did not indict Stem, clearing him of any wrong doing.

Before joining Hearne, Stem spent a year with the Lott Police Department and nearly three years with Bryan P.D.

The Hearne City Council has called a special meeting for Saturday afternoon. Council members will discuss disciplinary measures for Stem, up to and including termination.

========

Tuesday 8:30-11:30 p.m.
A 93-year-old woman is shot and killed by a police officer at her home in Hearne.

Pearlie Golden, known in the neighborhood as Ms. Sully, was pronounced dead Tuesday night at St. Joseph Hospital. The elderly woman was rushed there after being shot by a male officer at her house on Pin Oak Street. Multiple witnesses tell us she was shot at least five times.

Hearne police are not ready to say whether Golden was armed or why the officer felt threatened.

"All I know is that they were called out here,” said Robertson County District Attorney Coty Siegert. “They were dispatched out here to address the situation. Again, I'm not sure exactly what that situation was, but it was not a random encounter."

Residents are questioning why police would shoot Golden who they described as a sweet, sweet woman.

“Even if she did have a gun, she is in her 90’s,” said Lawanda Cooke. “They could have shot in the air to scare her. Maybe she would have dropped it. I don’t see her shooting anyone.

Siegert says the case will eventually be presented to a Grand Jury, which is standard procedure in officer involved shootings.

The Texas Rangers and Robertson County District Attorney’s Office are investigating.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 07:46:06 PM »

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Hate-Group-Holding-Protest-in-Hearne-258479001.html
New Black Panther Party Protests Deadly Shooting of Elderly Woman
May 8, 2014

HEARNE - The New Black Panther Party led a protest march in Hearne. The group protested the deadly shooting of an elderly woman by a Hearne police officer.

The crowd chanted, "What do we want? Justice!" as they marched two blocks from the Brookshire Brothers parking lot to the Hearne Police Department.

Police responded to a 911 call about 6:30 Tuesday evening about a lady waving a gun around, outside a home on Pin Oaks Street.

When Officer Stephen Stem arrived, he asked Golden, 93, to “put down the weapon and then ultimately fir(ed) his own sidearm, wounding Miss Golden.”

Multiple witnesses tell us they heard at least five shots. Golden was pronounced dead at St Joseph's Hospital in Bryan before 10:00 p.m. Tuesday.

Quanell X, the leader of the New Black Panther Party's Houston chapter, says they will protest in front of Stem's house if Hearne city officials do not fire him. The City Council is holding a special meeting Saturday to discuss Stem's future. Hearne Mayor Ruben Gomez tells News 3 he will recommended the City terminate Stem.

"Give (council members) a chance to do what's right right," Quanell X told the crowd gathered outside the police department.

The calls for justice in the controversial shooting are also creating controversy because the investigation is not complete and because of the group leading those calls. The Southern Poverty Law Center, a civil rights group, and several other organizations, consider the New Black Panther Party to be a hate group.

Excerpt from splcenter.org
"The New Black Panther Party is a virulently racist and anti-Semitic organization whose leaders have encouraged violence against whites, Jews and law enforcement officers. Founded in Dallas ... the group portrays itself as a militant, modern-day expression of the black power movement (it frequently engages in armed protests of alleged police brutality and the like), but principals of the original Black Panther Party of the 1960s and 1970s— a militant, but non-racist, left-wing organization — have rejected the new Panthers as a "black racist hate group" and contested their hijacking of the Panther name and symbol."

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 07:47:55 PM »

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Dozens-Shout-for-Justice-at-Hearne-Protest-March-258537911.html
Dozens Shout for Justice at Hearne Protest March
May 8, 2014

HEARNE - Dozens of people showed up in Hearne today to march in protest for an elderly woman shot and killed by a police officer.

Pearlie Golden, 93, was shot by a Hearne police officer Tuesday evening at her home. Investigators said Golden had a gun and refused to put it down.

Quanell X with the New Black Panther Nation in Houston led the march. Around 100 people marched from the Brookshire Brothers Grocery store on Post Oak Street to the police station a few blocks away.

"This is a march about humanity. This is a march about right over wrong," said Quanell.

Protesters shouted for justice as they marched.

Quanell was clear about what they want to happen.

"We want this officer fired immediately. We want him indicted for murder," said Quanell.

Police said officer Stephen Stem shot and killed Golden.

Mayor Ruben Gomez made an appearance at the demonstration. He said he know what he's going to recommend at Saturday's emergency council meeting.

"The recommendation from the mayor is that we go ahead an terminate the officer," said Mayor Gomez.

Quanell said he'll be back next week to hold a town hall meeting.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 07:55:13 PM »

http://www.kbtx.com/news/local/headlines/Dozens-Shout-for-Justice-at-Hearne-Protest-March-258537911.html
Dozens Shout for Justice at Hearne Protest March
May 8, 2014

Comments:

Phantom_Shadow • 42 minutes ago
When this story first made the news I was skeptical of any reason to justify the shooting of a 93 year old woman. Very skeptical. The only reason I could possibly see it happening was in the situation where she had a gun. As more info becomes available we find out that was the case. Sadly, the typical hate groups will turn this into a race issue, anti-police issue, etc. This woman had enough use of her faculties to kill one of the officers. You spend minutes talking to someone standing in front of you with a gun. You do exactly what these officers did. They yelled for her to drop the gun. She did not. She was shot. This isn't the movies. You don't "shoot to wound" as others commented. You shoot to end the threat. Period. That's what happened. Very tragic and sad for all. But let's not ignore the facts and let them get lost in the hate speech.

AggieLady02 • an hour ago
"Quanell's made his message perfectly clear.

"We want this officer fired immediately. We want him indicted for murder," said Quanell."
Excuse me, but what happened to an investigation to find out WHAT happened before X and his like-minded followers decide that "justice" showed be handed out? The Texas Rangers will do all they can to find out the truth, but until then, X needs to shut his mouth and let those who are investigating do their job. All that fool is going to do is stir an already dangerous situation and make it worse.

Mary Ann Taylor-Williams AggieLady02 • 42 minutes ago
I first want to say I do not want the Black Panthers here anymore than I would want the KKK. Same people just different color. But I think the people in Hearne need to see this resolved quick. This is the second time the Rangers had to come in over this man. You are usually the first one to hang someone what happened in this situation.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 08:12:04 PM »

This is certainly not the way to justice, imo.  Vigilantes?  In the first case, why was the person driving around firing a gun out of a car in an apartment complex?
Why is it okay to threaten with guns and etc for what a group wants, when the investigation isn't even over?  Right or wrong, the officer deserves for this case to have a complete investigation.  The Texas Rangers and a grand jury are working on it.  Why not let this take it's course?  JMHO

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Protesters-mayor-want-officer-fired-in-Hearne-5463999.php
Protesters, mayor want officer fired in Hearne shooting
May 8, 2014

Photo By Cody Duty / Houston Chronicle  Houston activist Quanell X speaks Thursday at a protest in Hearne following a police officer's fatal shooting of a  93-year-old woman in her home

Officer Stephen Stem, responding to a 911 report of a woman with a gun, shot Perlie Golden several times Tuesday evening after encountering her brandishing a firearm at her home, according to a news release issued by police.

Golden was the second person Stem has fatally shot while on the job. He was cleared by a grand jury in the shooting death of a man in December 2012. He has been placed on paid leave pending an investigation into Tuesday's incident.

Houston activist Quanell X, who organized Thursday's march, warned of "armed protests" if Stem is not fired.

"Like hell will we stand by and let him have a third shot," Quanell X said.

Mayor Ruben Gomez told demonstrators he will recommend that City Council fire Stem. The council has announced a Saturday meeting to discuss possible discipline.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 08:25:05 PM »

Here's the comments so far on the article posted above: (61) scroll down to read.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Protesters-mayor-want-officer-fired-in-Hearne-5463999.php#comments

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 09:21:30 PM »

These are terrible headlines in more ways than one.     From first glance, it reads as if the police shot the elderly lady after she failed her driving test.  A whole lot in between was left out. 

http://blogs.ajc.com/news-to-me/2014/05/08/woman-93-killed-by-police-after-failing-driving-test/
Woman, 93, killed by police after failing driving test
May 8, 2014

Taking car keys away from someone who shouldn’t be driving can be dangerous.

In Texas, a 93-year-old woman who failed a driver’s license exam became so upset when her nephew tried to take away her driving privileges she picked up a revolver.

The nephew said the woman, Pearlie Golden, threatened him so he called police in Hearne, Texas, which is located near the middle of the triangle formed by Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.

The arriving officer saw Golden waving a gun around in her yard and asked her to put down her weapon, but eventually he shot at her at least five times. CNN reports she was struck twice. Golden died at a hospital Wednesday night.

Details from the shooting were not released, but neighbors question why police shot the “sweet, sweet woman” known as Miss Sully.

“Even if she did have a gun, she is in her 90s,” Lawanda Cooke told the local TV station. “They could have shot in the air to scare her. Maybe she would have dropped it. I don’t see her shooting anyone.”

The officer, Stephen Stem, has been placed on paid leave.

In 2012, Stem shot and killed a man who was shooting a gun from a car in an apartment parking lot. He was not charged in that shooting.

This story made me think of a few questions:

When should younger folks take the keys away from older folks? My grandfather was a better driver at 85 than many people on I-85 are today. (Ms. Golden failed her driver's exam therefore, she shouldn't have been driving.  In this case, she doesn't sound like a very good driver  Maybe her nephew wanted her to stay safe and was concerned for the safety of others)
What’s the best way to get the car keys? (That's really tricky.  My family has been recently discussing my 80 year old mom's driving.  Her vision isn't so great and she admitted herself she drove the wrong way on an access road last month.  Not to mention she picked up an old man hitchhiker (OMG!!) )
Would this have happened in a state with stricter gun laws? (I don't think it would have mattered in this case.  At 93 years of age, she may have had a gun around for years.  Who's going to be checking on elderly's firearms if no one knows they have them?)
Why did the cop feel threatened enough to shoot? (Possibly because the nephew felt threatened enough to call 911 to report a disturbance with a firearm, in which his aunt pointed a gun at him and from what info we have at this time, she refused to put it down.  I don't think we have enough information.  We need the whole story)
Should police treat a situation involving an elderly gunman differently?  (We would all hope police have enough foresight and training to recognize mental illness, dementia and etc and hopefully diffuse the situation.  Ms. Golden was already upset and pointed the gun at her own family member (nephew) and possibly could still shoot him or the police.  I wonder if she was just so angry, distraught and etc., it was a dangerous situation.  The police have to keep themselves and the public (the nephew) safe too.  It's all so sad.   ::MonkeyNoNo::The only good that may come out of this is it may bring some awareness of the need for training for law enforcement in matters of mental illness, dementia, elderly folks and returning veterans )

(My answers in parenthesis) MB

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 08:45:30 AM »

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Nephew-Pearlie-Golden-Fired-Gun-Twice-258634411.html
Nephew: Pearlie Golden Fired Two Shots
May 9, 2014

HEARNE, Texas - The nephew of Pearlie Golden says his aunt fired two shots before she was shot and killed by a Hearne police officer.

Roy Jones said he took his 93-year-old aunt to the Department of Public Safety on Tuesday to renew her driver’s license, but was denied after failing her test. Jones tells News 3 he took her home and could tell she was upset.

Jones said he was sitting on the porch with Golden when she demanded her keys back. He refused to give them to her, and Golden went inside the house to get her .38 caliber revolver, Jones said. He then ran to the side of the house and called police.

Officer Stephen Stem responded to that 911 call. Stem ordered Golden to put the gun down, but Golden refused. Jones said Golden fired two shots gun into the ground. At that point, Robertson County District Attorney Coty Seigert said Stem fired four shots, hitting Golden twice, once in the arm and once in the upper chest. Golden later died at St. Joseph Hospital in Bryan.

Stem's attorney, Robert McCabe said he believes Stem's actions were fully justified, given the situation.

"In that kind of situation, officer Stem doesn't have time to ask someone's age, to ask someone's ability to understand," said McCabe. "He obviously didn't know if Ms. Golden had any sort of dementia or any sort of diminished mental capacity."

McCabe said he hopes the community will let the justice system do its work.

He said Hearne Mayor Ruben Gomez's recent statement that he would recommend Stem be terminated was unprofessional and out of line.

"I think it's inappropriate for the mayor to come out and yield to public pressure and say he's going to look to have officer Stem fired," said McCabe. "He probably knows less facts about what occurred than I do."

Seigert said because the case is still under investigation, he could neither confirm nor deny that Golden fired her gun.

Jones told News 3 he dropped to the ground and started to cry after witnessing the shooting. He blames himself for what happened, even though he knew he had no choice but to call police.

Quanell X, with the New Black Panther Nation, led a march of about 100 people to the police station in protest Thursday morning. Protest leaders called for the arrest and indictment of Officer Stem. Mayor Ruben Gomez said he will recommend during Saturday’s special council meeting that Stem be terminated.

“We understand that members of the community have questions and are seeking a swift, emotional reaction from the Hearne City Council,” said McCabe. “As with any case, we hope cooler heads will prevail and look forward to an objective, professional and thorough investigation by the Texas Rangers.”

The District Attorney’s Office tells News 3 it could take up to two months for the case to be presented to a grand jury.

The District Attorney also addressed a rumor about Stem's possible relation to a District Court Judge.

In a statement, the district attorney said "In an effort to curb some rumors, 82nd District Court Judge Robert Stem (the District Court Judge for Robertson and Falls Counties) is in no way related to Hearne PD Officer Stephen Stem."

Golden’s funeral is scheduled for next Saturday (May 17) at Old Elam Missionary Baptist Church where she was a member for most of her life.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 08:59:45 AM »

This whole situation is really sad.     There's a 93 year old woman dead, shot in her in front yard by LE.  The rest of the story?  She drew a gun on her own nephew, who called 911 to report.  When asked to put the gun down, Ms. Golden fired two shots into the ground. It doesn't matter whether the shots were in the ground.  Bullets have to go somewhere, and could have ricocheted etc.  The fact she fired the gun twice puts this whole scenario in a different light, imo.  The life of the nephew and the officer were in jeopardy by her just having the pistol out.  By firing it, she basically sealed her fate. This was far more than waving or brandishing the pistol.  As sad as it is, I think it was the right call.  We have to wait for the grand jury and for the legal process.  I think it was premature for the mayor to call for the officer's firing.  It looks to me like he was trying to save his own bacon.  Why did this end up with Quannel X?  Was it really a white on black issue?  Or was it a very sad incident, in which an elderly lady (with possibly dementia) bringing a gun into a situation and firing it twice, with people present?  Why make this into something that isn't?  It seems Ms. Golden was looked on by the community with love and kindness.  However, there was something wrong.  This is so tragic.  I believe Ms. Golden wasn't in her right frame of mind.  The problem is, that doesn't make it any less dangerous for those in her vicinity when she fires a gun.  Poor lady.     And yes, poor officer.  He's done.  Toast.  No matter if the grand jury no bills him. JMHO

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 03:09:34 PM »

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Hearne-Council-Votes-To-Fire-Officer-Who-Shot-93-year-old-Woman-258766311.html
Hearne Council Votes To Fire Officer Who Shot 93-year-old Woman
May 10, 2014

Saturday afternoon, the city council met to discuss taking possible disciplinary action against Officer Stephen Stem, up to and including termination. In the end, they voted unanimously to follow the recommendation of Mayor Ruben Gomez and fire Stem.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 08:03:02 PM »

I believe the mayor and council members are fearing pressure from the New Black Panthers etc.  The officer was fired even before the investigation was finished?  In the officers previous fatal shooting, he was cleared.  This article says officer stem "engaged with the suspect and then fired his gun, striking Golden."  It doesn't say she fired two shots before he shot her.  I think there's a lot of difference between "brandishing" a pistol and firing one a couple of times.  JMHO  Ms. Golden's nephew was scared enough to call the police when his aunt got out her .38.  He may feel guilty calling LE, but it may have saved his life.  She could have shot him.  It's just tragic. 

http://www.click2houston.com/news/hearne-pd-officer-terminated-after-fatal-shooting/25916724
Hearne PD officer terminated after fatal shooting
Stephen Stem terminated after emergency meeting

May 10, 2014

Pearlie Golden died Tuesday night after a family member contacted police and told them she had threatened him with a gun. The events that followed are still under investigation, but police said Officer Stephen Stem engaged with the suspect and then fired his gun, striking Golden.

The shooting sparked outrage in Hearne and beyond with many questioning the officer's use of force. Council members held an emergency meeting Saturday afternoon to vote on Stem's future with the department
Tuesday's incident was Stem's second fatal shooting involving a suspect. An investigation cleared Stem of wrongdoing in a 2012 shooting in Hearne, but this time City Council members voted to terminate the officer before the official investigation was complete.

Hearne Mayor Ruben Gomez said the City Council's own investigation into the matter led them to take Saturday's action.

“The information that was provided to us, we feel we needed to make this decision,” said Gomez.

Gomez said the City Council members received the advice of the city attorney, Bryan F. Russ, Jr, who also recommended they terminate Stem.

Gomez and Russ declined to speak about the factors that led to the council's decision.

“It's not one factor, it's the totality of the circumstances that we looked at,” said Russ.

The council members discussed the issue behind closed doors for less than half an hour before they returned to council chambers and voted to have Stem terminated. The unanimous vote prompted applause from dozens of people who had packed into council chambers for Saturday's meeting.

Stem wasn't present at Saturday's meeting. His attorney, Robert McCabe, issued a statement prior to the council's decision. He said based on his initial review of the evidence, he believes his client's actions were immediately necessary given the circumstances created by Golden.

The statement read, in part, “Although the end result was tragic, his actions likely saved not only his own life, but also saved the life of the citizens who called 911 seeking immediate help from the Hearne Police Department.”

McCabe went on to state that he and his client look forward to an objective, thorough and professional investigation by the Texas Rangers, and ultimately he believes the Robertson County grand jury will conclude Stem acted justly.

Following the meeting, Hearne's police chief told Local 2 he would follow the order and terminate Stem, effective immediately.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 08:07:31 PM »

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Hearne-Council-Votes-To-Fire-Officer-Who-Shot-93-year-old-Woman-258766311.html
Hearne City Council Fires Officer Who Shot & Killed 93-year-old Woman
May 10, 2014

Saturday afternoon, the city council met to discuss taking possible disciplinary action against Officer Stephen Stem. It took them less than 30 minutes to reach a unanimous vote to fire him.

Stem responded to a 911 call Tuesday from Pearlie Golden’s nephew. She was upset about not being allowed to drive after failing a driver’s license renewal test. Roy Jones says when he wouldn’t give Golden her car keys, she went into the house and grabbed a .38 revolver. Jones then ran to the side of the house and called 911.

Stem ordered Golden to put the gun down, but Golden refused. Jones said Golden fired two shots gun into the ground. At that point, Robertson County District Attorney Coty Seigert said Stem fired four shots, hitting Golden twice, once in the right arm and once in the upper chest. Seigert says they have not confirmed whether Golden fired first.

During a protest march on Thursday, Quannel X and the Black Panther Nation threatened to protest in front of Stem’s house, if he was not fired. But the activist asked protestors to “give (council members) a chance to do what's right right.”

Mayor Ruben Gomez said he would recommend termination. Today, city attorney Bryan Ross advised the council do to the same.

In a statement Friday to News 3, Stem's attorney Robert McCabe said he is “fully confident that Officer Stem’s actions were immediately necessary and legally justified.”

Today, McCabe told us he will meet with Stem next week to discuss the termination and what step to take next.

Stem has been a police officer since August 2008. He previously worked for Bryan and Lott. Stem joined the Hearne Police Department in July 2012. Six months later, he shot and killed 28-year-old Tederalle Satchell who was shooting a gun from inside a vehicle in the parking lot of the Columbus Village Apartments. A Grand Jury did not indict Stem in that shooting.

Pages: 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.