March 29, 2024, 06:18:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 87 yo Shirley Dermond Missing - Husband Found Beheaded in Their Georgia Home (Deceased)  (Read 11693 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: May 09, 2014, 02:49:09 PM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/wife-elderly-man-found-beheaded-georgia-home-victim-suspect-authorities-article-1.1785818?google_editors_picks=true
Wife of elderly man found beheaded in Georgia home likely victim, not suspect: authorities
The 87-year-old woman, Shirley Dermond, was still missing days after her husband, Russell, was found decapitated in the garage of their lakefront home near Eatonton on Tuesday. Police believe the woman was abducted, but cops were still trying to determine a motive for the grisly killing and who may have done it.
May 9, 2014

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 05:02:20 AM »

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/FBI-asked-to-help-in-search-for-missing-Ga-woman-5462402.php

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 04:55:47 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/autopsy-elderly-georgia-man-dead-when-head-was-cut-off/
Autopsy: Elderly Ga. man was dead before head was severed
May 9, 2014

ATLANTA - Authorities say an autopsy showed an 88-year-old Georgia man was already dead when his head was cut off.

Putnam County Deputy Coroner Marcus Turner says authorities believe Russell Dermond died of a head or brain injury.
Friends found his body Tuesday in the garage of his Lake Oconee home.
His 87-year-old wife, Shirley Dermond, wase nowhere to be found, and investigators fear Shirley Dermond was abducted. They are searching for her with the help of the FBI.

Authorities have said they believe the crimes took place sometime between Friday and Saturday.

Sheriff Howard Sills said during a news conference Thursday that the woman's purse, cellphone and the couple's car were still at the house in the gated community.

Sills says the home showed no signs of a struggle or forced entry and no ransom note was left behind. He does not believe the killing was random but said the couple had no known enemies and no questionable financial dealings, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The couple had reportedly owned several fast-food chains before they retired about 20 years ago.

"Quite candidly, this is the most baffling case we've ever worked on," Sheriff Sills said during a press conference Thursday, reports the paper.

The community where the couple lived is guarded by a gate and security officers. Sills has said authorities are investigating whether the attacker may have approached the couple's home by boat.

Crews have searched part of the lake with sonar devices but haven't found anything, the sheriff said.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 05:00:02 PM »

The Dermond's son Mark was murdered 14 years ago.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/channel-2-joins-dnr-survey-lake-near-putnam-co-cou/nfswy/
Vigil held for kidnapped woman, beheaded husband
May 10, 2014

PUTNAM COUNTY, Ga. — Dozens of people gathered at a candle light vigil for a missing 87-year-old woman after deputies found her husband beheaded.
There were at least 100 people who showed up Saturday night to light candles and pray for the couple’s family and Shirley Dermond.

It's been one week since Putnam County sheriff investigators think Russell Dermond was beheaded and his wife disappeared. Sheriff Howard Sills said they're running down every lead.
"I thought I saw someone that looked like her in another store in another state… camera, FBI, run them down,” Sills said.
That includes looking into the murder of the Dermond's son Mark 14 years ago.
“We ordered the files from APD two days ago and it's in archives,” Sills said.

Sills asked the community to pray for answers at the vigil, he said he is using every resource including the GBI and FBI profilers.
“We have talked to the behavioral unit at Quantico extensively, OK does that mean they're coming up with one they're working on things like that, yes," Sills said.

The Georgia Department of Natural Resources is using sonar to search Lake Oconee after a brutal crime left one community stunned.

The Putman County Sheriff said someone beheaded 88-year-old Russell Dermond and possibly abducted his wife. He said the case is a mystery and they've set up a phone tip line hoping to get leads.
Channel 2’s Liz Artz was on the lake with DNR rangers Saturday afternoon as they searched for clues in the mystery. They have used side-scan sonar to see images up to 360 feet to the right and left under the boat. Putnam County investigators were out on the water all day also conducting shoreline searches.
So far, DNR rangers have scanned 30 miles of shoreline, but they've focused intently on a 3 to 5 mile stretch south of the Dermond's home in the Reynold Plantation community.

Lake Oconee is a 19,000-acre lake owned by Georgia Power. Rangers said searching the entire lake will be a huge undertaking. Since no one knows what happened to Dermond, there is not a starting point. Boat safety officer David Allen said officials have started with the Dermond's dock and are working out from there.

It's been seven days since detectives think Shirley Dermond disappeared, and officials say gases in a body would cause it to float in water at this point.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/timeline/reynolds-plantation-murder/
Interactive Timeline:   Murder at Reynolds Plantation

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 05:04:30 PM »

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/community-plans-vigil-as-search-continues-for-elde/nfsrW/
Digital billboard to help with search for elderly Eatonton woman
Posted May 10, 2014, Updated May 11, 2014

Lacking any substantial clues, investigators searching for a missing Eatonton woman plan to display her image on digital billboards across the state.
Shirley Dermond is believed to have been abducted sometime last weekend. The decapitated body of Russell Dermond, her husband of 68 years, was found by neighbors inside the exclusive Reynolds Plantation community on Tuesday. There was no sign of his wife, and no indication of forced entry or theft, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said.
Shirley Dermond’s cell phone, car keys and purse were left behind.
On Friday, law enforcement officers returned to the waters of Lake Oconee behind the Dermonds’ home. A previous search turned up nothing but a Christmas tree and lawn chair, Sills said.
A vigil for the couple was held Saturday night at Lake Oconee Village Pond. At least 100 people attended, Channel 2 Action News reported.
The Dermonds’ pastor said Putnam County, which hasn’t recorded a murder in eight years, is still coming to grips with the tragedy.
 “It’s a very dark situation, and we’re not through it yet,” said David Key, pastor of Lake Oconee Community Church, where Russell and Shirley Dermond have been members for eight years. “This darkness is going to linger for a long time.”
Key has met with the couple’s three adult children and said they are delaying funeral arrangements for their father while the search for Shirley Dermond continues.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 11:06:18 AM »

Body in Ga. lake likely that of wife of decapitated 88 year-old
Published May 16, 2014

Investigators found a body Friday that they believe to be that of a missing 87-year-old Georgia woman whose husband was discovered slain and decapitated in the couple's home earlier this month, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said.

A crime laboratory will definitively determine whether the remains are those of Shirley Dermond, and establish a cause of death in a case that has perplexed investigators in central Georgia.

The body matches the general description of Dermond and has similar surgical scars, Sills told a news conference. He described the case as a homicide, but he said investigators could not see any obvious signs of trauma on the remains. Authorities suspect the couple were killed May 2 or May 3.

"We now unfortunately know that Shirley Dermond was murdered, and we're no longer, unfortunately, seeking to rescue her," Sills told reporters during a news conference. "As bad as that is, it progresses our investigation."

The sheriff said he hoped a forensic examination of the remains might yield more clues that could assist investigators. Authorities also plan to use an underwater submersible to examine the bottom of the lake for evidence.

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/16/body-in-ga-lake-likely-that-wife-decapitated-88-year-old/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 11:12:12 AM »

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 05:02:26 PM »

Very strange.  The article indicates they don't believe the murders were random, and possibly a boat was used to access the home.  Why was this elderly couple murdered?  His decapitated body was found in the home, and her body was found in the lake 5 or 6 miles away.  What is doing on here?  There was no ransom note left and apparently no evidence of forced entry.     I continue to wonder about the son that was murdered some years ago.  I haven't heard anything else on that.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 05:32:54 PM »

Sheriff: Shirley Dermond died of blunt force trauma to the head
Saturday, May 17, 2014

Shirley Dermond, the 87-year-old Eatonton woman whose body was pulled from Lake Oconee Friday afternoon, died of blunt force trauma to the head, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. She did not drown and she was not alive when she was put in the water, he said.

Her husband, 88-year-old Russell Dermond, was found decapitated in the garage of the couple’s Reynolds Plantation home on May 6. Investigators today are searching for his head in the same lake where Shirley Dermond’s body was found.
So far, authorities have not located Russell Dermond’s head, Sills told The AJC this afternoon.

<snipped>

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/authorities-return-to-lake-where-missing-eatonton-/nfydM/

_____

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 06:20:55 PM »

1st thing I thought of was someone is due a sizeable inheritance. 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 06:22:39 PM »

Rather than moving this to missing found deceased, I am dropping it into Unsolved Crimes.......... 

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 07:39:15 PM »

A MFH?  The eldest of Shirley and Russel's four children was murdered during a drug deal in 2000.  Could it be that one of his younger siblings also became involved in a lifestyle that implied the inheritance was required sooner than later.  I sincerely hope not but ... the thought did cross my mind.

Nut ... illegal drugs tend to render the user void of a conscience ... desperate for the next fix.  When my favourite nephew began using in his late teens ... he lied and stole from his parents every chance he got.  Nevertheless ... my hubby and I never doubted for one minute when he convinced us that he had turned his life around and was raising funds so he could spend one year on the mission field.  We "offered" to provide him with financial support in what we believed was a worthwhile life changing endeavour.  Long story short ... the mission trip never happened.   Thankfully ... twenty years later my nephew's story does has a happy ending.

Janet

+++++

Body in lake likely that of missing 87-year-old Ga. woman; husband was slain and beheaded
May 16, 2014

<snipped>

The killing was a shocking anomaly in a gated, exclusive community guarded by private security. Police have said they do not believe the violence was random. The couple's lakefront home showed no signs of a struggle or forced entry and no ransom note was left behind.

<snipped>

http://www.startribune.com/nation/259599191.html

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 10:10:36 PM »

Not targeted?  Random?  The suspicions of the Dermond's son are contrary to investigators.

Janet

+++++

Son of Putnam victims blames cult for mom’s disappearance
Friday, May 16, 2014

<snipped>

Channel 2’s Richard Elliot spoke on the phone with the Dermond’s son Keith. He’s in Jacksonville, Fla. He didn’t want to be recorded, but did talk about what the past two weeks have been like for his family.

“Not too good as you might imagine, this is a worse nightmare then we could have ever dreamed up,” said Keith Dermond.

The last time anyone ever saw Russell Dermond alive was at a Lake Oconee Publix exactly two weeks ago. Investigators believe someone killed him either that night, or sometime the next day.

Keith Dermond doesn’t believe someone specifically targeted his parents for this brutal crime. He believes it’s random, maybe the work of a cult.

“It’s bad enough what happened to dad, but mom missing is like this, the thought of her suffering is too much to bear,” Keith Dermond said.

Chief Still still believes the killer specifically targeted the Dermonds because of the relative inaccessibility of their house and the fact there were no signs of struggle.

"You have two elderly people. There is no sign of struggle.There is no sign of forced entry. That would lead one to believe the door was opened,” said Stills.

<snipped>

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/son-putnam-victims-blames-cult-moms-disappearance/nfyJ2/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »

Missing wife of decapitated Georgia man found dead in lake
Sat May 17, 2014

<snipped>

Authorities were alerted Friday by two fishermen who spotted what they believed to be a body in the lake, some five or six miles from the couple's home.

The discovery adds an element to the investigation -- the possibility that a boat was a mode of transportation in the killing, Sills said.

"This jumps us about two jumps up on the checkerboard, shall we say," he said.

Dermond's family is in shock with the news of the discovery of her body, said the Rev. David Key of Lake Oconee Community Church.

"We haven't even had a funeral for Russell because their kids wanted to wait. Now that we know about Shirley, we will start planning the funeral services for both."

From the beginning, investigators treated Dermond's disappearance as an abduction. Her purse, cell phone and car were all at the couple's million-dollar waterfront home on Lake Oconee where her husband's headless body was found.

Investigators believe she was taken from her home after her husband, 88-year-old Russell Dermond, was decapitated sometime between May 2 and May 4.

<snipped>

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/16/justice/georgia-elderly-couple-killed/

_____

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »

A MFH?  The eldest of Shirley and Russel's four children was murdered during a drug deal in 2000.  Could it be that one of his younger siblings also became involved in a lifestyle that implied the inheritance was required sooner than later.  I sincerely hope not but ... the thought did cross my mind.

Nut ... illegal drugs tend to render the user void of a conscience ... desperate for the next fix.  When my favourite nephew began using in his late teens ... he lied and stole from his parents every chance he got.  Nevertheless ... my hubby and I never doubted for one minute when he convinced us that he had turned his life around and was raising funds so he could spend one year on the mission field.  We "offered" to provide him with financial support in what we believed was a worthwhile life changing endeavour.  Long story short ... the mission trip never happened.   Thankfully ... twenty years later my nephew's story does has a happy ending.

Janet

+++++

Body in lake likely that of missing 87-year-old Ga. woman; husband was slain and beheaded
May 16, 2014

<snipped>

The killing was a shocking anomaly in a gated, exclusive community guarded by private security. Police have said they do not believe the violence was random. The couple's lakefront home showed no signs of a struggle or forced entry and no ransom note was left behind.

<snipped>

http://www.startribune.com/nation/259599191.html

TY Janet.  I am very familiar with illegal drugs and have a Nephew who is facing 35 years in a Federal Prison for his bath salts/gun crimes. There is no Federal Prison in Maine.
Not to mention my Niece used to be a Meth addict, made it and sold it, as well. She got lucky and only served 9 months in Prison (not a County Jail), she cleaned up her act and now has 2 great kids and a decent job. Some make it through and others do not.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 03:22:16 PM »

Nut ... thank you for sharing.

It seems that most families have been touched to some degree by a loved one's addiction to illegal drugs ... prescription drugs.  Although my love for my nephew has always been unconditional ... at times I inwardly harboured resentment towards him and God for the undeserving h--- that my Brother and his wife were experiencing. Fortunately, a situation arose that forced this young man to bow .. re-examine and take personally responsibility for the addiction that was ruining his life as well as the emotional pain he was inflicting on his parents and those who cared.  It was at that point he entered recovery.

Nut ... I will uphold your nephew and niece in prayer.

I just did some googling on the Shirley and Russell Dermond murders.  No updates.

Helping to decorate a float our church is entering in tomorrow's May Day parade is where it is at after a bite of lunch.

I hope you are having a good day Nut.

Janet

_____

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 03:48:16 AM »

Thank you too, Janet. You 2.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 05:21:28 PM »

Sheriff: More than 1 person involved in Lake Oconee murders
May 21, 2014

PUTNAM COUNTY, Ga. -- Investigators believe the murder of an elderly couple in Putnam County likely involved more than one suspect.

On May 5, Russell Dermond, 88, was found dead in the garage of his upscale home in Reynolds Plantation. He had been beheaded, according to police, and his head has not been found.The body of his wife, 87-year-old Shirley Dermond, was found in Lake Oconee about five miles from their home on May 16. Police say she died of blunt force trauma.

Authorities have not determined a suspect or a motive in the murders.

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said he believes that one person couldn't have committed the crimes.

"You've got two people, one's transported to my way of thinking a great distance by boat, and it's a good distance from the house to the dock, the other decapitated. I can't imagine one person doing that," Sills said.

Sills said that he believes Dermond was decapitated in an attempt to hide evidence.

"If I shot you in the head and the bullet is in your head, that's evidence," Sill said. "We can retrieve a bullet from a head and most times the lab can tell us within two to three manufactures who made that weapon."

Sills believes the fact that Shirley's body was found in the middle of the lake proves that the killers went to the crime scene by boat.

At least one neighbor's security camera is now in the hands of the FBI.

"We discovered some cameras that are pointing out towards the lake…one of them we've already gone through. It had a great picture of their dock, but not the area in question," Sills said.

<snipped>

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/2014/05/21/lake-oconee-russell-dermond-shirley-dermond/9394325/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 05:35:43 PM »

It has been almost three weeks.  Why has FBI examination of video footage not been concluded?  It makes sense if land access to the community had security for all who entered ...  there would have been at the very least video surveillance at every dock to identify all who entered by water. 

Janet

++++

Report: Elderly Ga. couple likely knew killers, sheriff says
May 21, 2014

ATLANTA - The sheriff leading the investigation into the mysterious slayings of an elderly Georgia couple tells the Atlanta Journal-Constitution he believes the victims knew their killers and says he is certain the killers accessed the couple's property by water.

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told the paper Tuesday that he is operating on the assumption that Shirley and Russell Dermond "were at least minimally acquainted with whoever did this."

"That's an assumption, coupled with some physical evidence," Sills continued.

Friends found the headless body of 88-year-old Russell Dermond on May 6 in the garage of the couple's Lake Oconee home. Dermond's 87-year-old wife, Shirley, was nowhere to be found.

Police have said the home, which is in a gated, exclusive community guarded by private security, showed no signs of a struggle or forced entry and no ransom note was left behind.

It wasn't until 10 days later, on May 16, that two fishermen found Shirley's body in Lake Oconee, five to six miles from the couple's home. Officials have said she died of blunt force trauma to the head before she was submerged in the water.

Russell Dermond's head has still not been found.

Sheriff Sills told the paper Tuesday that both he and FBI profilers who have examined the case believe at least two people were involved in the crime - which is believed to have taken place May 2 or May 3.

Sills said some video footage captured around that time in the area of the couple's home has been sent to the FBI for examination, according to the paper.

The sheriff reportedly went on to say that no one has been ruled out as a suspect, other than some yard workers who have been interviewed and, in some cases, polygraphed.

"This is not the work of some drug-crazed individuals, and this is not some professional assassin," Sills reportedly said.

The couple's three grown children have not been eliminated as suspects, though Sills pointed out there is no evidence linking them to the murders, according to the paper.

The sheriff has previously said there is nothing that indicates the couple had any financial trouble or enemies.

The couple had a son who was reportedly killed in a drug deal gone wrong in 2000, but Sheriff Sills has said there is no evidence that the murders of Russell and Shirley Dermond are in any way linked to that.

<snipped>

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-elderly-georgia-couple-likely-knew-killers-sheriff-says/

_____

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.