March 28, 2024, 09:20:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: California Wildfires - May, 2014  (Read 3042 times)
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« on: May 16, 2014, 01:59:15 PM »

Could it be that there are those with an agenda taking full advantage of the California drought as well as the high temperatures?

Janet

+++++

Southern California fires: Arson and bomb investigators probe cause
May 15, 2014

Arson and bomb investigators were looking into what caused the devastating San Diego County wildfires, several of which burned close to roads, officials confirmed Thursday.

<snipped>

Read more:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/16/multiple-fires-burning-in-san-diego-county-thousands-evacuated/?intcmp=latestnews

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 02:09:16 PM »

Southern California firefighters find badly burned body
May 15, 2014

Firefighters working on Southern California wildfires have found a badly burned body in a transient camp.

The city of Carlsbad said the body was found Thursday while firefighters were checking hotspots on a fire that began a day earlier. The city says it had no information about person who died.

It appears to be the first fatality in fires throughout the San Diego region that have destroyed eight homes, an 18-unit apartment complex and two businesses.

On Thursday, firefighters battled nine major wildfires burning out of control in and around San Diego County on Thursday.

High temperatures and strong winds fed the fires, and steep terrain made it difficult to contain them.

A fire in the city of San Marcos was a top priority. On Thursday, 13,000 more homes and businesses got orders to evacuate, bringing the total to 33,000.

Wind gusts as high as 45 miles per hour pushed the fire up steep hills and into an affluent section of the city. The fire burned so hot in places, it pulled in a rush of cooler air. The circulation created tornadoes of fire and at one point the fire was moving in two different directions.

"We have winds picking up, changing directions, so we always got to be on our feet," said firefighter Nick Najera.

Wave after wave of helicopters and planes dropped water and flame retardant. Commanders allowed operations Wednesday night in hopes it would help them get ahead of the fire. It didn't.

<snipped>

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/san-diego-wildfire-probe-to-consider-arson-other-causes/

Firefighters in California were battling nine major wildfires in and around San Diego County
CBS NEWS

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 02:25:09 PM »

Wildfires strike early, hard in S. California
May 15, 2014

<snipped>

San Diego County district supervisor Bill Horn said Wednesday evening that eight fires were burning in the region, seven of which popped up that day.

Investigators haven't yet determined the cause of these fires. But Horn hasn't seen anything like this -- so many fires, so quick, all of them separate -- in at least 20 years. That this is happening in May, not July or October, is even more confounding to him.

"I'm sure it could be by chance," the clearly skeptical supervisor said. "... I just think there's too much of a coincidence here."

<snipped>

http://www.kcra.com/national/s-calif-wildfires-spark-mass-evacuations/25967050

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 02:57:03 PM »

San Diego wildfires: Towering ‘firenado’ caught on video in California
Friday 16 May 2014

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/16/firenado-video-fire-tornado-and-wildfires-hit-san-marcos-in-northern-san-diego-california-4729675/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 04:10:38 PM »

Former Congressman Allen West:  “What prevents us from knowing our enemy is not just a failure of our leaders. It is also blindness caused by political correctness. When tolerance becomes a one-way street, it leads to cultural suicide.”

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

August, 2013

ARE TERRORISTS SETTING U.S. WILDFIRES?
Ex-NSA official: Al-Qaida ignited California blazes
Published: 09/11/2013 at 8:22 PM

In July 2012, William Scott, a former National Security Agency official and Aviation Week editor, told the American Center for Democracy that terrorists are using fire as a tactical weapon of war. .....

Video:
http://www.wnd.com/2013/09/are-terrorists-setting-u-s-wildfires/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 04:46:52 PM »

Pyro-terrorism--the Threat of Arson-induced Forest Fires as a Future Terrorist Weapon of Mass Destruction
Robert Arthur Baird
National Emergency Training Center, 2005 - 14 pages

The United States is at grave risk of a future pyro-terrorist attack. We must define the threat, understand America's vulnerabilities with regard to it, and take action to mitigate this danger to our homeland. While America focuses on the readily apparent scenarios of smuggled nuclear weapons and radiological bombs, Al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations are adapting to avoid our security and screening systems. Instead of using expensive, complex, and readily detectable nuclear or radiological bombs, a future terrorist could easily ignite multiple massive wildfires that would severely damage our regional economies, impact our military forces, and terrorize the American population. An opportunistic terrorist could create a conflagration potentially equal to a multi-megaton nuclear weapon. This phenomenon is defined as pyro-terrorism: the use of arson attacks to terrorize the civilian population and coerce the government to comply with the terrorists' political or social objectives. Arson, the destruction of property with fire for profit or revenge, is the tactic. It is the political and psychological intent that differentiates pyro-terrorism from arson. This paper will describe pyro-terrorism, discuss how existing terrorism tactics and future intent define the threat, assess America's vulnerability to pyro-terrorism, and identify various actions the U.S. Government must take to mitigate this vulnerability. If terrorist organizations use arson as a tactic, and publicly assume responsibility for the massive fires it causes, the perception of a secure homeland among the populace would quickly erode. The fire's devastation could overwhelm suppression resources, weaken regional economies, destroy critical infrastructure, effect readiness in military forces, and put political pressure on national leadership for policy change.

http://books.google.ca/books/about/Pyro_terrorism_the_Threat_of_Arson_induc.html?id=cQfSSAAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 05:11:24 PM »

Some residents return home as fires still rage in Calif.
May 16, 2014

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/usanow/2014/05/16/wildfires-california-drought/9163635/

California Wildfires: Death Reported, More Evacuations Ordered
May 16, 2014

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/05/16/313007836/california-wildfires-death-reported-more-evacuations-ordered

'Unprecedented' wildfires, fierce winds lead to 'firenadoes' in California
Fri May 16, 2014

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/16/us/california-wildfires/

Wildfires scorch parched California; 2,600 firefighters respond
May 16, 2014

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-wildfires-california-firefighters-20140516-story.html

Juvenile, Adult Arrested for Starting Small Brush Fires in Escondido: Police
Police say two teenagers were starting fires in Escondido while on bikes on Thursday evening
Friday, May 16, 201

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Junevnile-Adults-arrested-trying-to-start-fire-escondido-259485711.html

Did Somebody Intentionally Set California Wildfires?
May 16, 2014

http://www.wnd.com/2007/10/44266/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »

SELF-EDIT

Did Somebody Intentionally Set California Wildfires?
May 16, 2014

http://abcnews.go.com/US/intentionally-set-california-wildfires/story?id=23744146

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 10:36:32 AM »

MAY, 2012

AL QAEDA THREATENING TO START WILDFIRES IN US
May 3, 2012

WASHINGTON -- Al Qaeda terrorists are calling on followers to ignite wildfires in the U.S., which could make California a target.

Californians have seen their share of devastating wildfires, some large enough to wipe out whole neighborhoods in a matter of minutes. It is the kind of destruction terrorists are now hoping to take advantage of. An al Qaeda-linked website is now calling on extremists to set fires in remote areas.

The websites even provide instructions on how to make fire bombs and firefighters are taking it seriously.

"It does not seem all that farfetched. A wildfire moves quite quickly and can inflict damage, and if people have that intent, it's very frightening," said Battalion chief Julie Hutchinson with the California Fire Department.

The instructions to extremists come from Inspire, al Qaeda's online publication which was started by American-born al Qaeda leader Anwar al-Awlaki. Al-Awlaki was killed by a U.S. missile strike in September, but the publication is still being produced.

The threats of wildfire attacks come on the same day U.S. military officials released new documents obtained in last year's raid that killed Osama bin Laden.

<snipped>

The documents also indicate that bin Laden wanted to target General David Petraeus, who was the commander of coalition forces in Afghanistan at the time.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://abc7.com/archive/8646527/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 10:53:47 AM »

Man arrested for arson in California fire as Marines, families flee Camp Pendleton blaze
Published May 16, 2014

<snipped>

Camp Pendleton public affairs office told Fox News firefighters are waging an aggressive fight against the newest fire on the base, which is one of three. At least 8,400 people were evacuated from the Marine base, though evacuations were lifted for some early Saturday.

Several camp areas and an infantry school remain under evacuation.

At least 10 blazes broke out in San Diego County between Tuesday and Thursday. Together, the fires burned through more than 10,000 acres in the San Diego area, killing one person and causing more than $20 million in damage.

At least eight houses, an 18-unit condominium complex and two businesses were destroyed, and tens of thousands of people were told to leave their homes.

Investigators are working to determine whether the unusually early and intense outbreak of fires was ignited by something as ordinary as sparks from cars or something as sinister as an arsonist. Six of the fires popped up within hours on Wednesday -- raising suspicions that some had been set.

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/16/multiple-fires-burning-in-san-diego-county-thousands-evacuated/?intcmp=latestnews

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 11:41:21 AM »

San Diego Wildfires: Alleged Arsonist Arrested As Blazes Dying Down
Published May 17, 2014

A man was charged with setting one of nearly a dozen fires that have destroyed homes and raced through nearly 20,000 acres of northern and eastern San Diego County brush land, but most of the blazes seemed to be dying down.

Thousands of firefighters and fleets of water-dropping military and civilian helicopters planned fresh battles Saturday, including three fires at the Camp Pendleton Marine base.

Investigators continued to seek the causes of the conflagrations that burned at least eight homes and an 18-unit condominium complex, emptied neighborhoods and spread fields of flame, smoke and ash that dirtied the air in neighboring Orange County and as far north as Los Angeles Count

<snipped>

All together, the wildfires about 30 miles north of San Diego have caused more than $20 million in damage.

Three fires continued to burn at Pendleton: A 15,000-acre blaze that began Thursday was 40 percent contained, and a new fire Friday that quickly grew to 800 acres was 25 percent surrounded that night. A 6,500-acre fire that started Wednesday at a neighboring Navy weapons station and rolled onto the base and the city of Fallbrook was 65 percent contained.

At their peak, the fires prompted about 8,400 military personnel and their families to be sent home from various parts of the sprawling coastal base between Los Angeles and San Diego, but some housing-area evacuations were lifted, base spokesman Jeff Nyhart said.

The most destructive fires started in Carlsbad — a densely populated coastal suburb of 110,000 people where a badly burned body was found Thursday in a transient camp — and San Marcos, a neighboring suburb of 85,000 people where strip malls and large housing tracts mix with older homes whose residents cherish their large lots and country living.

The Cocos Fire, which hopscotched through San Marcos and neighboring Escondido, was 50 percent contained Friday night after burning 2,520 acres. The fire wasn't growing, and crews planned to keep mopping up hotspots, state fire Capt. Kendal Bortisser said.

<snipped>

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2014/05/17/san-diego-wildfires-alleged-arsonist-arrested-as-blazes-dying-down/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 05:54:01 PM »

Weather helps weary California firefighters
Sat May 17, 2014

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Firefighters in Southern California seemed Saturday to be winning the fight against the half dozen wildfires still burning.

Santa Ana winds diminished significantly Friday, aiding first responders in their progress toward containment of the fires.

Winds have shifted across much of Southern California, bringing cooler temperatures and higher humidity.

Despite the reduction in winds, most of San Diego County continues to experience hot temperatures which, combined with dry conditions, allowed for at least one new wildfire to ignite.

According to Cal Fire, a new 30-acre blaze began burning Saturday in Sycamore Canyon, inland from San Diego.

Firefighters were able to stop it from spreading farther and no structures were threatened.

On and around the Marine Corps' Camp Pendleton, six large wildfires remain active, having burned over 25,000 acres total.

<snipped>

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/17/us/california-wildfires/

_____

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.