April 19, 2024, 05:42:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taliban Terrorists Released to Free POW Bowe Bergdahl - May 31, 2014  (Read 13136 times)
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« on: May 31, 2014, 05:03:57 PM »

Here are the Taliban Terrorists Obama Released to Free POW Bowe Bergdahl
May 31, 2014

According to a 2008 Pentagon dossier on Guantanamo Bay inmates, all five men released were considered to be a high risk to launch attacks against the United States and its allies if they were liberated. The exchange shows that the Obama administration was willing to pay a steep price, indeed, for Bergdahl’s freedom. The administration says they will be transferred to Qatar, which played a key role in the negotiations.

In the initial statements released about the deal, the White House declined to name the detainees who would be leaving the Cuba based prison Obama has been trying to close since his first day in office.

A senior U.S. defense official confirmed Saturday that the prisoners to be released include Mullah Mohammad Fazl, Mullah Norullah Noori, Abdul Haq Wasiq, Khairullah Khairkhwa and Mohammed Nabi Omari.

While not as well known as Guantanamo inmates like 9-11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the Taliban 5 were some of the worst outlaws in the U.S. war on terror. And their release will end up replenishing the diminished leadership ranks of the Afghan Taliban at a moment when the United States is winding down the war there.

“They are undoubtedly among the most dangerous Taliban commanders held at Guantanamo,” said Thomas Joscelyn, a senior editor at the Long War Journal who keeps a close watch on developments concerning the detainees left at the Guantanamo Bay prison.

<snipped>

At about 10:30 am eastern standard time, Bergdahl was released from his captors. The handover was peaceful and happened in eastern Afghanistan along the border, according to a senior U.S. Defense official. U.S. special operations forces conducted the rescue.

The official said that once he was on the helicopter, Bergdahl wrote on a paper plate (writing instead of talking because it was so loud) “SF?” The operators sitting with Bergdahl responded loudly, saying, yes, we’ve been looking for you for a long time. Bergdahl broke down crying, the official relayed.

In exchange for Bergdahl’s release, five detainees at Guantanamo Bay will be released to Qatar. The US has “appropriate assurances” that Qatar will be able to secure the detainees there, a U.S. official said. The detainees are under a travel ban for a year.

The transfer took place quickly without incident, peacefully and without violence. There were approximately 18 Taliban on site.

<snipped>

READ MORE:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/31/us-pays-high-price-for-last-pow-in-afghanistan.html

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »

IN A NUTSHELL

TOP LEVEL TERRORISTS Obama released from Gitmo for one American soldier.

Mohammad Fazl - the Taliban's former Deputy Defense Minister

Mullah Norullah Noori - Former Taliban Governor of the Balkh Province

Mohammed Nabi - Former Senior Taliban leader, ties to al-Qaida & the Haqqani Network

Khairullah Khairkhwa - Former Taliban official and former Governor of Herat

Abdul Haq Wasiq  - Former Taliban Deputy Minister of Intelligence

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 05:22:11 PM »

Bowe Bergdahl, a Taliban captive since 2009, has been freed
May 31, 2014, 12:48 PM

WASHINGTON - The only American solider held prisoner in Afghanistan has been freed and is back in U.S. custody after nearly five years of captivity, U.S. officials said Saturday.

The officials said the Taliban agreed to turn over Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl in exchange for the release of five Afghan detainees from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The transfers happened after a week of intense negotiations mediated by the government of Qatar, which will take custody of the Afghans.

A senior Defense Department official told CBS News Bergdahl was rescued by special operations forces in eastern Afghanistan, though he was believed to be held in Pakistan. The transfer took place quickly and without incident. There were approximately 18 Taliban on site.

According to a senior defense official traveling with Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel in Singapore, once Bergdahl climbed onto the noisy helicopter he took a pen and wrote on a paper plate, the letters "SF?" - asking the troops if they were special operations forces.

They shouted back at him over the roar of the rotors: "Yes, we've been looking for you for a long time."

Then, according to the official, Bergdahl broke down and cried.

Officials said Bergdahl was transferred to Bagram Air Field, the main U.S. base in Afghanistan, for medical evaluations, before eventually heading on to the United States.

<snipped>

Questions had arisen about the nature of Bergdahl's imprisonment. Some had accused Bergdahl of willingly walking away from his unit, which was deployed in Paktika province in eastern Afghanistan, adjacent to the border with Pakistan. ...

Rolling Stone magazine quoted emails Bergdahl is said to have sent to his parents that suggest he was disillusioned with America's mission in Afghanistan, had lost faith in the U.S. Army's mission there, and was considering desertion.

Bergdahl told his parents he was "ashamed to even be American." Bergdahl, who mailed home boxes containing his uniform and books, also wrote: "The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong."

<snipped>

READ MORE:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bowe-bergdahl-a-taliban-captive-since-2009-has-been-freed/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 05:27:01 PM »

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 06:43:17 PM »

US Soldier Freed From Captivity in Afghanistan
WASHINGTON May 31, 2014 (AP)

Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was handed over to U.S. special operations forces by the Taliban Saturday evening, local time, in an area of eastern Afghanistan, near the Pakistani border. Officials said the exchange was not violent and the 28-year-old Bergdahl was in good condition and able to walk.

"While Bowe was gone, he was never forgotten," President Barack Obama said in a statement from the White House Rose Garden, where he was joined by Bergdahl's parents. "The United States of America does not ever leave our men and women in uniform behind." ....

<snipped>

READ MORE:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/us-solider-freed-captivity-afghanistan-23942201

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »

There clearly was not negotiations. Obama complies with the 2012 demands of the terrorists.

Janet

+++++

US soldier held captive by Taliban in Afghanistan for nearly five years freed
Published May 31, 2014

Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the only American soldier held captive in Afghanistan, was released Saturday by Taliban captors, an announcement that has Americans rejoicing but also raising questions on Capitol Hill and beyond about “negotiating with terrorists.”

Bergdahl was released from captivity after nearly five years, in exchange for five Taliban members being held in the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Bergdahl was taken prisoner after leaving his base in east Afghanistan on June 30, 2009. Why he left and whether he’ll face any consequences for his actions remains unclear.

U.S. officials said the deal was reached after a week of intense negotiations that were mediated by the Qatar government, which will take custody of the Taliban detainees.

They said efforts to negotiate Bergdahl’s release began in November 2010, that his return has been a top priority since May 2011 and that the opportunity to resume diplomatic efforts emerged several weeks ago.

<snipped>

The announcement was welcome news to Americans around the country but resulted in strong skepticism among congressional Republicans, particularly those involved in military and foreign affairs.

“Like all Americans, we celebrate the release of Sergeant Bergdahl,” California Rep. Howard P. “Buck” McKeon, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, and Oklahoma Sen. James Inhofe, the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a joint statement.

“However, we must carefully examine the means by which we secured his freedom. America has maintained a prohibition on negotiating with terrorists for good reason. Trading five senior Taliban leaders from detention in Guantanamo Bay for Bergdahl’s release may have consequences for the rest of our forces and all Americans.”

They also argued that Obama “clearly violated laws” that require him to notify Congress 30  days before any transfer of terrorists from Guantanamo Bay and to explain how the threat posed by such terrorists has been substantially mitigated.

The Defense Department promptly responded to the accusations, saying key members were notified about the transfer but that officials had to act swiftly to secure Bergdahl’s release.”

A department official also gave Fox News the names of the detainees: Mohammad Fazl, Mullah Norullah Noori, Mohammed Nabi, Khairullah Khairkhwa, and Abdul Haq Wasiq.

They are believed to be the top five Taliban leaders at the prison and were selected in 2012 by Taliban leaders as part of initial negotiations.

Officials said about 18 Taliban members released the 28-year-old Bergdahl on Saturday evening, local time, in Afghanistan.

He was picked up in eastern Afghanistan, near the Pakistani border, by a Navy SEAL team, composed of a few dozen men and supported by multiple helicopters and overhead drones, another Defense official said.

<snipped>

The Hailey, Idaho, native is thought to have been captured by members of the Haqqani network, which operates in the Afghanistan-Pakistan border region and has been one of the deadliest threats to U.S. troops in the war.

The network, which the State Department designated as a foreign terrorist organization in 2012, claims allegiance to the Afghan Taliban, yet operates with some degree of autonomy.

The announcement of Bergdahl’s release comes as the United States winds down its military operation in Afghanistan.

<snipped>

U.S. officials earlier emphasized the administration has repeatedly made clear that no Guantanamo detainees will be transferred unless the threat they pose the U.S.  can be mitigated and that their release is consistent with the country’s humane treatment policy.

The detainees from Guantanamo were still at the base as of Saturday and are being transferred into the custody of Qatar officials. Under the conditions of their release, the detainees will be banned from traveling outside of Qatar for at least one year.

READ MORE:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/31/wh-us-solider-held-in-afghanistan-bergdahl-is-released-after-five-years/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 09:22:19 PM »

US soldier held captive by Taliban in Afghanistan for nearly five years freed
Published May 31, 2014

<snipped>

The announcement was welcome news to Americans around the country but resulted in strong skepticism among congressional Republicans, particularly those involved in military and foreign affairs.

“Like all Americans, we celebrate the release of Sergeant Bergdahl,” California Rep. Howard P. “Buck” McKeon, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, and Oklahoma Sen. James Inhofe, the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a joint statement.

“However, we must carefully examine the means by which we secured his freedom. America has maintained a prohibition on negotiating with terrorists for good reason. Trading five senior Taliban leaders from detention in Guantanamo Bay for Bergdahl’s release may have consequences for the rest of our forces and all Americans.”

They also argued that Obama “clearly violated laws” that require him to notify Congress 30  days before any transfer of terrorists from Guantanamo Bay and to explain how the threat posed by such terrorists has been substantially mitigated.

<snipped>

READ MORE:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/31/wh-us-solider-held-in-afghanistan-bergdahl-is-released-after-five-years/

FLASHBACK - 2012

Reuters sources: US sweetens proposal for return of Taliban prisoner Bowe Bergdahl
Wednesday Aug 8, 2012 12:58 AM

<snipped>

The Taliban detainees are seen as among the most dangerous remaining at Guantanamo, and the transfer idea drew strong opposition on Capitol Hill even before it was formally proposed.

Many lawmakers fretted that transferred detainees would reappear on the battlefield, and objected to the possible release of prisoners blamed for bloody crimes in Afghanistan.

U.S. officials stress that the transfer, if it occurs, will be done in accordance with U.S. law, which requires Congress to be notified before any detainees are moved from Guantanamo.

<snipped>

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/08/13174814-reuters-sources-us-sweetens-proposal-for-return-of-taliban-prisoner-bowe-bergdahl

_____

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 10:10:19 PM »

Gosh, are we in "News of the Day" or in the political forum?   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 11:56:36 PM »

This article pertaining aspects of today's breaking news regarding the release of Bowe Bergdahl is a good read in its entirety.  IMO

Janet

++++++

Exchange of Idaho soldier Bowe Bergdahl for Taliban detainees sets off debate
Posted on Saturday, 05.31.14

<snipped>

The deal resolves the question of whether the U.S. military would withdraw from Afghanistan without Bergdahl, who went missing from his base on June 30, 2009. But it also immediately sparked controversy.

For one, the Obama administration failed to notify Congress that it was transferring the five Taliban detainees from Guantanamo 30 days in advance, as U.S. law requires. U.S. officials explained the decision to notify Congress only as the detainees were turned over to Qatari diplomats by saying Obama was acting in his capacity as commander in chief.

“This is a case of the commander in chief exercising his prerogative to get one of his soldiers back,” one official said. He asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to address the issue publicly.

But some members of Congress were unimpressed. “Our joy at Sergeant Berghdal’s release is tempered by the fact that President Obama chose to ignore the law, not to mention sound policy, to achieve it,” said a joint statement by Rep. Howard P. “Buck” McKeon, R-Calif., chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, and Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

There were also questions about the wisdom _ and precedent _ of freeing five high-ranking Taliban, all of whom were on the list of detainees not eligible for release, in exchange for one American service members.

“These particular individuals are hardened terrorists who have the blood of Americans and countless Afghans on their hands,” said Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who himself was a POW in Vietnam. “I am eager to learn what precise steps are being taken to ensure that these vicious and violent Taliban extremists never return to the fight against the United States and our partners.”

And there were nagging questions about the circumstances of Bergdahl’s captivity. How Bergdahl came to leave his base in Afghanistan has never been clear, and some have suggested he should be treated as a deserter, not a captive.

<snipped>

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/31/4149730/bowe-bergdahl-idaho-soldier-held.html

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 05:34:20 PM »

Say Hello To the Five Identified Taliban Prisoners Released by Barack Obama from GITMO in Exchange for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl … Meet the GITMO 5

Posted June 1, 2014 by Scared Monkeys

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/06/01/say-hello-to-the-five-identified-taliban-prisoners-released-by-barack-obama-from-gitmo-in-exchange-for-sgt-bowe-bergdahl-meet-the-gitmo-5/comment-page-1/#comment-4609272

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 06:10:20 PM »

Cruz Criticizes POW Trade: “Have We Just Put A Price On Other U.S. Soldiers?”
June 1, 2014

SEN. TED CRUZ: Well, look, all of us celebrate with Sergeant Bergdahl, with his family, I mean, looking at his parents there, I mean, that’s emotional and it’s powerful.

At the same time the terms of the deal are very troubling.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Why?

CRUZ: Well, for one thing, how many soldiers lost their lives to capture those five Taliban terrorists that we just released? You know, Ambassador Rice basically said to you, yes, U.S. policy has changed. Now we make deals with terrorists.

And the question going forward is, have we just put a price on other U.S. soldiers? What does this tell terrorists, that if you capture a U.S. soldier, you can trade that soldier for five terrorists we’ve gone after.

<snipped>

CRUZ: I think it is very disturbing that we are releasing five acknowledged terrorist Taliban leaders in a deal with terrorists. That precedent and — you know, unfortunately, George, it’s part and parcel with the pattern we’ve seen of the Obama administration across the board.

VIDEO:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/06/01/cruz_on_pow_trade_terms_of_bergdahl_deal_very_troubling.html

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 06:36:11 PM »

Allen West’s commentary is a must read in its entirety. IMO

Janet

++++

Amidst celebrations for Bergdahl’s release, some unsettling questions
Written by Allen West on June 1, 2014

Everyone is celebrating the release of Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl, and we’re glad he’ll be home with his family in Idaho soon.

However, there are questions that must be answered – like, why did the young Soldier walk off his Forward Operating Base (FOB) back in 2009? It’s not the modus operandi for Islamic terrorists to detain American troops when captured, as we reported previously. Our troops are brutally, ritually, and savagely murdered — to include American security contractors (remember the Fallujah bridge) — not held for five years.

And to have this “deal” brokered in Qatar (supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood) calls for even more questions.

What we do know are the identities of the five Afghan Taliban who were released.

According to a report in the Weekly Standard, they are five of the most dangerous Taliban commanders in U.S. custody. ....

<snipped>

READ MORE:
http://allenbwest.com/2014/06/amidst-celebrations-bergdahls-release-serious-questions/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 06:57:28 PM »

Bergdahl release arrangement could threaten the safety of Americans, Republicans say
May 31, 2014

Top Republicans on the Senate and House armed services committees went so far as to accuse President Obama of having broken the law, which requires the administration to notify Congress before any transfers from Guantanamo are carried out.

“Trading five senior Taliban leaders from detention in Guantanamo Bay for Bergdahl’s release may have consequences for the rest of our forces and all Americans. Our terrorist adversaries now have a strong incentive to capture Americans. That incentive will put our forces in Afghanistan and around the world at even greater risk,” House Armed Services Committee Chairman Howard P. McKeon (R-Calif.) and the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, James M. Inhofe (Okla.), said in a joint statement.

Lawmakers were not notified of the Guantanamo detainees’ transfer until after it occurred.

The law requires the defense secretary to notify relevant congressional committees at least 30 days before making any transfers of prisoners, to explain the reason and to provide assurances that those released would not be in a position to reengage in activities that could threaten the United States or its interests.

<snipped>

READ MORE:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bergdahl-release-arrangement-could-threaten-the-safety-of-americans-republicans-say/2014/05/31/35e47a2a-e8ff-11e3-afc6-a1dd9407abcf_story.html

_____

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 08:15:27 PM »

The more I read on this, the stranger it all becomes!

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 09:57:22 AM »

Thanks Barack Obama: Taliban & Taliban’s Supreme Leader Mullah Omar Celebrate Release of Gitmo Detainees for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Posted June 2, 2014 by Scared Monkeys

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/06/02/thanks-barack-obama-taliban-talibans-supreme-leader-mullah-omar-celebrate-release-of-gitmo-detainees-for-sgt-bowe-bergdahl/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 11:13:22 AM »

Daily Commentary – Monday, June 2, 2014 – Did the President Break the Law In Sgt. Bergdahls Prisoner Exchange?

Posted June 2, 2014 by Klaasend

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/06/02/daily-commentary-monday-june-2-2014-did-the-president-break-the-law-in-sgt-bergdahls-prisoner-exchange/comment-page-1/#comment-4609674

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 12:12:48 PM »

Sen. John McCain Questions Swap “Highest High-Risk” Terrorists as White House National Security Adviser Susan Rice Defends United States Negotiating with Terrorists over Exchange of GITMO 5 for U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

A DANGEROUS PRECEDENT THAT THE US WILL RUE THE DAY …

Posted June 2, 2014 by Scared Monkeys

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/06/02/sen-john-mccain-questions-swap-highest-high-risk-terrorists-as-white-house-national-security-adviser-susan-rice-defends-united-states-negotiating-with-terrorists-over-exchange-of-gitmo-5-for-u-s/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 01:35:27 PM »

'Taliban Dream Team': Who are the 5 prisoners traded for Bergdahl's freedom?
Published June 02, 2014

A top Republican senator called Monday for an “immediate hearing” to investigate the controversial release of five Taliban prisoners in exchange for American Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s freedom, as he and others raised alarm that the administration just freed the “Taliban Dream Team.”

New questions are surfacing about the terms of the deal, as details emerge about the Guantanamo Bay prisoners sent to Qatar in exchange for Bergdahl – who was a Taliban captive in Afghanistan for the past five years.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., sent a letter to the leaders of the Senate Armed Services Committee calling for a hearing. He said the prisoners “have American blood on their hands and surely as night follows day they will return to the fight.”

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., on Sunday called the five former detainees “the hardest of the hard-core” and “the highest high-risk people,” who are “possibly responsible for the deaths of thousands.” In the interview on CBS’ “Face the Nation,” he noted others that have been released have “gone back into the fight.”

<snipped>

The Joint Task Force Guantanamo classified all five as “high” risk to the U.S. Two of the five men are “wanted” by the United Nations on war crimes for the deaths of thousands of Shiite Muslims in Afghanistan.

The Taliban has long pushed for the release of the men who have been called the “GITMO Five” – a group of experienced jihadists who helped run the terror organization’s operations in pre-9/11 Afghanistan.

Here’s a closer look at the five Taliban commanders released in exchange for Bergdahl:

Abdul Haq Wasiq

Thought to be in his early 40s, Wasiq served as the Taliban deputy minister of intelligence and “had direct access to Taliban and Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin leadership,” according to an internal memo that assessed risk at Guantanamo. He reportedly used his office to support Al Qaeda “and to assist Taliban personnel elude capture.” He also reportedly arranged for Al Qaeda personnel to train Taliban intelligence staff. Wasiq belongs to the Khogyani Tribe and began his religious training under his father, Muhammad Saleem, who died in 1981.Three years later, he went to study Islam at Warah, a school located on the Afghanistan-Pakistan border near the Khyber Pass. When the Taliban assumed control in Afghanistan, a number of Islamic students, including Wasiq, went to Kabul. Wasiq has been accused by Human Rights Watch of mass killings and torture. According to a report by the Joint Task Force Guantanamo, Wasiq “arranged for Al Qaeda personnel to train Taliban intelligence staff in intelligence methods.”

Mullah Norullah Noori

As a senior Taliban military commander, Noori has been described in government reports as a military mastermind of sorts who engaged in hostilities “against U.S. and Coalition forces in Zabul Province.” Noori developed close ties to Taliban leader Mullah Omar and other senior Taliban officials, according to a JTF-GITMO report.

Mullah Mohammad Fazi

As the Taliban’s former deputy defense minister, Fazi was held at Guantanamo after being identified as an enemy combatant by the United States. Fazi is an admitted senior commander who served as chief of staff of the Taliban Army and as a commander of its 22nd Division. He’s also wanted by the United Nations on war crimes for the murder of thousands of Shiite Muslims in Afghanistan.  According to documents, Fazi “wielded considerable influence throughout the northern region of Afghanistan and his influence continued after his capture.” The Taliban has used Fazi’s capture as a recruiting tool. “If released, detainee would likely rejoin the Taliban and establish ties” with other terrorist groups, the Guantanamo report says.

Mullah Khairullah Khairkhwa

Khairkhwa is the former governor of the Herat province and has close ties with Usama bin Laden and Mullah Omar.  According to the Joint Task Force Guantanamo file, Khairkhwa “represented the Taliban during meetings with Iranian officials seeking to support hostilities against US and coalition forces.” Khairkhwa and his deputies are suspected of being associated with an extremist military training camp run by the Al Qaeda commander Abu Musab al Zarqawi, who was killed in 2006. U.S. authorities have also accused Khairkhwa of becoming a powerful opium trafficker.

Mohammad Nabi Omari

As a senior Taliban leader, Nabi Omari held multiple leadership[ roles in various terror-related groups. Pre-9/11, Nabi worked border security for the Taliban – a position that gave him “access to senior Taliban commander and leader of the Haqqani Network, Jalaluddin Haqqani,” according to the report.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/02/look-at-five-taliban-commanders-set-free-in-prisoner-exchange/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 01:36:36 PM »

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 01:52:48 PM »

Graham on Bergdahl Prisoner Swap: US Released the ‘Taliban Dream Team’
June 02 2014

Moments ago, Senator Lindsey Graham sent a letter to Chairman Carl Levin (D-MI) and Jim Inhofe (R-OK), ranking member of the Senate Armed Services, requesting an immediate hearing on the transfer of U.S. soldier Bowe Bergdahl.

The Obama administration has come under fire for negotiating with terrorists and in essence, putting a price on American soldiers’ heads.

Sen. Graham wrote:

I write today requesting an immediate hearing on the exchange of five high-ranking Taliban leaders for the release of Sergenat Bowe Bergdahl. While I appreciate an American was released from captivity, this decision by the Obama Administration has serious implications for our future national security.

The five terrorists released were the hardest of the hard-core. They held positions of great importance within the hard-core anti-American Taliban, including the Chief of Staff of the Taliban Army and the Taliban Deputy Minister of Intelligence. They have American blood on their hands and surely as night follows day they will return to the fight. In effect, we released the “Taliban Dream Team.” The United States is less safe because of these actions.

I fear President Obama’s decision will inevitably lead to more Americans being kidnapped and held hostage throughout the world.

There are also questions about why the Administration failed to comply with the law. We need a thorough review of this decision and I urge you to hold a hearing on this matter as it has profound implications for our national security.

With President Obama’s announcement of a total withdrawal from Afghanistan by 2016 – basically canceling an insurance policy to protect our homeland – and now releasing five Taliban leaders, it’s safe to say last week was a great week for the Taliban.

<snipped>

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/06/02/hegseth-bergdahl-prisoner-swap-obama-admin-put-price-american-soldiers

_____

Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.