April 19, 2024, 09:37:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Al Qaeda seizes northern Iraq cities - vows march on Baghdad - June 11, 2014  (Read 12727 times)
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« on: June 12, 2014, 04:31:42 PM »

Americans being evacuated from Iraqi air base as militants advance
Published June 12, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/12/americans-being-evacuated-from-iraqi-air-base/

Does Obama understand Iraq may soon be an Islamist state?
Published June 12, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/06/12/iraq-crisis-when-will-obama-white-house-get-its-head-in-game/

Saddam-era fugitive’s armed group fighting alongside militants in Iraq, officials say
Published June 12, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06/12/al-qaeda-inspired-militant-group-vows-march-on-baghdad-after-seizing-northern/

Taking a nap’: Obama team accused of underestimating Iraq unrest
Published June 12, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/12/militant-gains-in-iraq-catch-obama-administration-by-surprise/

Iraq would allow US airstrikes against Al Qaeda, report says
Published June 11, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/11/iraq-would-allow-us-airstrikes-against-al-qaeda-report-says/

White House mum on pleas from Iraq for airstrikes, as militants gain ground
Published June 12, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/12/white-house-weighs-sending-fresh-aid-to-iraq-amid-distrust-al-maliki/

Al Qaeda-inspired militant group vows march on Baghdad after seizing northern cities
Published June 12, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06/12/al-qaeda-inspired-militant-group-vows-march-on-baghdad-after-seizing-northern/

What is the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant?
Published June 12, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06/12/what-is-islamic-state-in-iraq-and-levant/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »

FLASHBACK

Barack Obama - Fort Bragg - December 14, 2011

“Indeed, everything that American troops have done in Iraq--all the fighting and all the dying, the bleeding and the building, and the training and the partnering--all of it has led to this moment of success. Now, Iraq is not a perfect place. It has many challenges ahead. But we’re leaving behind a sovereign, stable and self-reliant Iraq, with a representative government that was elected by its people. We’re building a new partnership between our nations. And we are ending a war not with a final battle, but with a final march toward home. This is an extraordinary achievement, nearly nine years in the making."

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »

As jihadists take aim at Baghdad, Iran steps in to help historical foe
Published June 12, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06/12/as-jihadists-take-aim-at-baghdad-iran-steps-in-to-help-historical-foe/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »

BARACK OBAMA - CHICAGO - AUGUST, 2011

“In Afghanistan, we’ve got al Qaeda on the run and we are going to begin transitioning to give Afghans more responsibility, but also to start bringing our troops home, because we’ve got a lot of work to do here at home to rebuild America.”

"On the foreign policy front, you elected me in part based on a promise that we would end the war in Iraq, and we have ended combat operations there. And by the end of this year we will have our troops out of Iraq, as I promised and as I committed.”

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 05:35:13 PM »

Repent or die: al-Qaeda forces announce rules for Iraqi territory they now control
12 Jun 2014

The Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham has set out a list of rules for residents of Mosul as it seeks to impose its Islamist rules on Iraq's second city.

Referring to the area by its ancient name, Nineveh, the group says it has a clear set of instructions for the remaining occupants of the city and surrounding area.

<snipped>

Firstly it tells "anyone who is asking," who its members are and what it is about: "We are soldiers of Islam and we've taken on our responsibility to bring back glory of the Islamic Caliphate."

All Muslims in the city have been instructed to attend mosque for the five daily prayers.

It confirms that it seized up to half a billion dollars from the Mosul branch of the Bank of Iraq but states it can be trusted with the funds.

Any one of its members who breach this promise will have their hands cut off.

"No drugs, no alcohol and no cigarettes allowed," it added.

No public gathering other than those organised by ISIS will be allowed at any stage. No guns will be allowed outside of its ranks.

All tribal leaders and sheikhs in the area have been warned not to co-operate with the state.

In a warning to the police, soldiers and other "kaffr" bodies the choice is to repent or face the ultimate punishment. The group said it will open "special places" for repentance.

Outlining its sectarian bias it declared all shrines, graveyards and monuments will be destroyed.

Finally all women must dress in concealing clothing that preserve decency. Females should only go outside "if necessary".

The city has been told that it has tried secular experiments with the republic and Baathist regimes as well as the current Iranian-backed "Safavid" government in Baghdad. "Now is time for an Islamic state," the note signed Imam Abu Bakr El Qurashi said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/10895007/Repent-or-die-al-Qaeda-forces-announce-rules-for-Iraqi-territory-they-now-control.html

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »

A man is executed in a new video released by ISIS

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 02:08:41 PM »

I hope that WND "sources" that claim that 200 US contractors are at risk are not reliable.

Janet

++++++

US evacuates contractors as al-Qaeda inspired jihadists in Iraq vow to take Baghdad next
15 HOURS AGO JUNE 13, 2014 1:31PM

http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/us-evacuates-contractors-as-alqaeda-inspired-jihadists-in-iraq-vow-to-take-baghdad-next/story-fnh81ifq-1226952601574

200 U.S. contractors surrounded by jihadists in Iraq
Published: 49 mins ago

http://www.wnd.com/2014/06/200-u-s-contractors-surrounded-by-jihadists-in-iraq/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 02:09:06 PM »

Obama urges Iraq's leaders to 'solve their problems,' reviewing US options
Published June 13, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/13/militants-vow-to-march-on-baghdad-as-obama-administration-mulls-response/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 05:43:13 PM »

ISIS militants still pressing forward in Iraq
Sat June 14, 2014

(CNN) -- Emboldened militants, backed by Sunni tribal leaders, pushed toward Baghdad on Friday as increasingly nervous U.S. officials mulled their limited options to help slow the militants' advance.

In recent days, Iran has sent about 500 Revolutionary Guard troops to fight alongside Iraqi government security forces in Diyala province, a senior security official in Baghdad told CNN. However, that claim was rejected by Iran's Foreign Ministry.

"We have made our position clear. We are not involved in fighting in Iraq," ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham told CNN.

A senior Iranian government official told CNN that Tehran is monitoring the situation in Iraq and could send advisers there, but would not send a fighting force.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani reiterated his nation is prepared to help advice Iraq if asked.

Meanwhile, Sunni tribal leaders have lined up in support of radical Islamists from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, making their push toward Baghdad easier, a Saudi intelligence official told CNN's Nic Robertson.

As Iraq further disintegrated, residents fled Mosul in droves. Militants captured the country's second-largest city this week after soldiers scattered, leaving their uniforms and weapons behind.

Three explosions hit Shiite areas in the capital city Friday evening, killing one person and wounding 20 people, police told CNN. A car bomb also exploded in al-Tarmiya, a Sunni area about 37 miles (60 kilometers) north of Baghdad, killing two civilians and wounding seven others, police officials in Baghdad told CNN.

<snipped>

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/13/world/meast/iraq-violence/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 05:47:36 PM »

ISIS militants still pressing forward in Iraq
Sat June 14, 2014

<snipped>

The spreading violence prompted U.S. President Barack Obama to say the beleaguered government required assistance, but he warned Friday that it would take "several days" for the U.S. to react.

"This is not going to happen overnight," he told reporters.

And, he said, the United States will need assurances from Iraq's government that it will work to find a political solution the crisis.

A senior Obama administration official said Friday that the President has not yet made a decision on whether to act on any military options. But another senior administration official indicated that a decision could come as early as this weekend.

Airstrikes are among the options on the table, White House spokesman Jay Carney said Thursday. But there will be no repeat of a large U.S. troop presence on Iraqi soil.

"We are not contemplating ground troops," Carney said. "I want to be clear about that."

U.S. officials have also discussed bolstering ongoing efforts to send arms, equipment and intelligence information to help Iraq and its military.

<snipped>

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/13/world/meast/iraq-violence/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 05:55:33 PM »

US aircraft carrier repositioned in case needed in Iraq
Published June 14, 2014

The Pentagon said Saturday that the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush will be repositioned to provide President Obama "additional flexibility" in Iraq.

An Al Qaeda splinter group, known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, has been on the move. The group has been conducting an offensive in the western region of the country and threatens stability in Baghdad.

Obama said Friday his administration would not send U.S. troops into combat. He made clear that any U.S. involvement likely would be limited, pressing the embattled Iraqi government to develop a "political plan" and make a "sincere effort" to resolve sectarian divisions.

"We can't do it for them," Obama said.

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/14/us-aircraft-carrier-repositioned-in-case-needed-in-iraq/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 09:05:44 PM »

Thousands of Iraqis join fight against militants preparing to hit Baghdad
Published June 14, 2014

Thousands of Shiite Muslims across Iraq took up arms Saturday and joined security forces in the fight against Al Qaeda-inspired militants who have invaded and taken over huge chunks of territory north of Baghdad.

The Al Qaeda splinter group, known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS), has been on the move, conducting an offensive in the western region of the country and now threaten stability in the nation’s capital.

ADVERTISEMENT
Their push has caused hundreds of young Iraqi men to pour into volunteer centers across Baghdad, answering a call by the country's top Shiite cleric to join the fight against Sunni militants advancing in the north.

Dozens climbed into the back of army trucks, chanting Shiite slogans and hoisting assault rifles, pledging to battle the ISIS, which has launched a lightning advance across the country.

The massive response to the call by the Iranian-born Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, issued via his representative Friday, comes as sectarian tensions are threatening to push the country back toward civil war in the worst crisis since U.S. forces withdrew at the end of 2011.

"Given the current threat facing Iraq, defending the land, honor and holy places is a religious duty," Ayatollah Sistani said, according to The Wall Street Journal.

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06/14/thousands-iraqis-answer-call-to-arms/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 09:31:08 PM »

Barack Obama Goes Golfing & Fund Raising as Iraq Implodes & All the Sacrifices of Americans Soldiers are Lost to ISIS Terrorists Thanks to Obama

Barack Obama, a complete and epic failure as Commander in Chief … Obama just doesn’t care about America, the military or Americans!

Posted June 14, 2014 by Scared Monkeys

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/06/14/barack-obama-goes-golfing-fund-raising-as-iraq-implodes-all-the-sacrifices-of-americans-soldiers-are-lost-to-isis-terrorists-thanks-to-obama/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 10:29:06 AM »

Iraq military halts advance of ISIS north of Baghdad
Published June 15, 2014

Iraq's security forces were able to halt the advance of Sunni Islamist militants north of Baghdad Saturday as thousands of Iraqi Shiites stood in line to join up with militias of their own.

However, the militants of the Al Qaeda splinter group known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) appeared to be holding onto two key cities captured from Iraqi forces earlier this week.

<snipped>

Many volunteers, however, said they had enlisted to protect their faith and shrines at risk in the city of Samarra north of Baghdad and elsewhere. The militants have threatened to march all the way south to the holy cities of Najaf and Karbala, home to two of the most revered Shiite shrines

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06/15/iraq-military-halts-advance-isis-north-baghdad/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 11:10:55 PM »

Islamic militant group posts images that appear to show mass killings in Iraq
Published June 15, 2014

As Iraq’s government bolstered Baghdad's defenses Sunday, the Islamic militant group that captured two major cities last week posted graphic photos that appeared to show its fighters massacring dozens of captured Iraqi soldiers.

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06/15/iraq-military-halts-advance-isis-north-baghdad/

US evacuating Baghdad embassy staff as Islamic militants ramp up attacks
Published June 15, 2014

The Obama administration said Sunday the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad will remain open amid the growing sectarian violence in Iraq but will increase security and that some embassy staff will be temporarily evacuated.

State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the staff will be moved to U.S. Consulate Generals posts in Basra and Erbil and to the Iraq Support Unit in Amman, Jordan.

<snipped>

The embassy is within the Baghdad's Green Zone. It has about 5,000 personnel, making it the largest U.S. diplomatic post in the world.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/15/rogers-iraq-sectarian-civil-war-is-as-dangerous-as-it-gets-for-us-allies/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »

United States To Evacuate Baghdad Embassy Staff … Relocating Some to Facilities in Jordan, Ebril, and Basra

As Barack Obama golfs, fund-raises and makes speeches on global warming … Iraq is falling to terrorists and the US is evacuating the Baghdad Embassy.

Posted June 15, 2014 by Scared Monkeys

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/06/15/united-states-to-evacuate-baghdad-embassy-staff-relocating-some-to-facilities-in-jordan-ebril-and-basra/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 10:54:51 AM »

Daily Commentary – Monday, June 16, 2014 – Now That Iraq is in Turmoil and Bagdad is in Jeopardy of Falling

What kind of legacy will Barack Obama leave?

Posted June 16, 2014 by Klaasend

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/06/16/daily-commentary-monday-june-16-2014-now-that-iraq-is-in-turmoil-and-bagdad-is-in-jeopordy-of-falling/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 10:57:35 AM »

US weighs alliance with Iran to counter ISIS, boosts presence in Gulf
Published June 16, 2014

The Obama administration reportedly is preparing to open direct talks with Iran on possibly cooperating to counter the Sunni militant force seizing large swaths of Iraq and threatening Baghdad, weighing an unlikely alliance in the face of a common foe. ....

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/16/us-weighs-alliance-with-iran-to-counter-isis-boosts-presence-in-gulf/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »

State Department warned Iran was aiding Iraq militias, now weighs possible alliance
Published June 16, 2014

The Iranian government, which the White House is now looking to as a possible partner to help counter the insurgency threatening to split Iraq, was cited just months ago by the Obama administration's own State Department as a prime instigator in that country.

Counterterrorism officials warned about Iran's meddling in Iraq as part of its report on state sponsors of terrorism.

"Despite its pledge to support Iraq's stabilization, Iran trained, funded, and provided guidance to Iraqi Shia militant groups," the report said.

The warning underscores the challenging -- and outright confusing -- situation the Obama administration finds itself in as it considers whether to align with Iran in order to save Iraq from Sunni militants.

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/16/state-department-warned-iran-was-aiding-iraq-militias-now-weighs-possible/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 08:06:10 PM »

Monday, June 16, 2014
President sending 275 troops to Iraq

<snipped>

KRMG obtained this statement from Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Admiral John Kirby: "The safety of personnel serving in diplomatic missions abroad is among our highest priorities. The presence of these additional forces will help enable the State Department to continue their critical diplomatic mission and work with Iraqis on challenges they are facing."

About 160 troops are already in Iraq, including 50 Marines and more than 100 Army soldiers.

Under Obama's authorization, a U.S. official says the U.S. will put an additional 100 soldiers in a nearby third country where they would be held in reserve until needed.

The news was announced the day thousands of residents are fleeing Tal Afar in northern Iraq. Sunni militants captured the city, a key prize for the militants, as they try to link areas under their control on both sides of the Iraq-Syria border.

Tal Afar is strategically located on the main highway between the border and Mosul, which the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant captured last week.

The White House says the U.S. military personnel are entering Iraq with its consent.

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/president-sending-275-troops-to-Iraq/ngMM6/

_____

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.