March 28, 2024, 02:36:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blues Guitarist Johnny Winter Dies at Age 70 RIP  (Read 2291 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: July 17, 2014, 09:47:56 AM »

http://www.smh.com.au/world/us-blues-legend-johnny-winter-dies-aged-70-20140717-zu95n.html
US blues legend Johnny Winter dies aged 70
July 17, 2014

Johnny Winter performing on stage in 2008. Photo: AFP

US blues legend Johnny Winter has died aged 70 in a hotel room in Switzerland, according to a statement on his official Facebook page.

"His wife, family and bandmates are all saddened by the loss of their loved one and one of the world's finest guitarists," the statement read, adding Winter passed away in Zurich on Wednesday.

Born in Texas in 1944, Winter began playing the clarinet aged five, and switched to the ukelele and then the guitar a few years later.

According to his official website, he formed his first band when he was 14 years old, and his big breakthrough eventually came in 1968 when Rolling Stone magazine dubbed him the hottest item after Janis Joplin in an article about the Texas music scene.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:52:56 AM »

Johnny Winter's new album has a September 2, release date:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/johnny-winter-step-back/
New Johnny Winter Album To Feature Eric Clapton, Joe Perry and Billy Gibbons
July 6, 2014

Megaforce Records

Johnny Winter will be joined by an all-star cast including Eric Clapton, ZZ Top‘s Billy Gibbons, Aerosmith‘s Joe Perry, Leslie West of Mountain fame, Joe Bonamassa and others as part of a forthcoming blues-rocking studio effort.
‘Step Back,’ produced by Winter sideman Paul Nelson and due September 2 via Megaforce Records, is Winter’s first recording since a massive career-spanning compilation set earlier this year — and the follow up to 2011’s ‘Roots.’
“If there’s good people, other good musicians, people enjoy it. I just love it,” Winter says, in pre-release materials. “‘Step Back’ is just to bring it to the people of today who haven’t listened to the old music. It’s better than anything they hear today.”
Clapton is on board for Bobby “Blue” Bland’s ‘Don’t Want No Woman.’ The Blues Brothers horns join in on a new version of Ray Charles’ ‘Unchain My Heart.’ Gibbons is featured on ‘Where Can You Be’ — a moment, he notes, that was a long time coming. “I never had the opportunity to jam with him (in the ’60s and ’70s),” Gibbons says. “I was content to remain in awe and admiration.”

Read More: New Johnny Winter Album To Feature Eric Clapton, Joe Perry and Billy Gibbons | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/johnny-winter-step-back/?trackback=tsmclip

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 09:55:04 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2014/07/17/blues-legend-johnny-winter-dies-in-switzerland/12771833/
Blues legend Johnny Winter dies in Switzerland
July 17, 2014

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 07:36:32 PM »

Thanks Muffy!!

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 07:49:45 PM »

Thanks Muffy!!

You're welcome Nut.  I'm really sorry Johnny Winter has passed on, but he left us with so much.  I look forward to the album release in early September.  Among others playing on it is EC, one of my very favs.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.