May 29, 2024, 03:08:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amber Alert - NY Amish Girls Delila Miller 6 & Fannie Miller 12  (Read 9058 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: August 14, 2014, 09:35:14 AM »

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2014/0814/Hunt-for-two-missing-Amish-girls-in-New-York
Hunt for two missing Amish girls in New York
Police patrols are out searching Thursday morning for two Amish girls, 6-year-old Delila Miller and 12-year-old Fannie Miller, who may have been abducted from a roadside stand in upstate New York, say police.
August 14, 2014

OSWEGATCHIE, NEW YORK — Authorities are searching for two Amish girls they say may have abducted from a roadside stand near the Canadian border.

The St. Lawrence County Sheriff's Office says police patrols are out searching Thursday morning for 6-year-old Delila Miller and 12-year-old Fannie Miller.

Officials issued an Amberl Alert Wednesday evening for the two girls after they were apparently abducted around 7:20 p.m. Wednesday in the rural town of Oswegatchie, 150 miles (240 kilometers) northwest of the New York State capital, Albany.

Police say the girls went to wait on a customer at the family's roadside fruit and vegetable stand. A witness saw a passenger in a vehicle put something into the back seat, and when the vehicle drove off the children were gone.

Both girls were wearing dark blue dresses with blue aprons and black bonnets.

WSYR-TV Channel 9 in Syracuse, described the girls:
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »

http://www.localsyr.com/story/d/story/amber-alert-2-amish-girls-abducted-according-to-st/29461/NPlINtJKQUaZs9NpKDgXtw
AMBER ALERT: 2 Amish girls abducted according to State Police
August 13, 2014, Updated August 14, 2014

The following is the AMBER Alert issued by State Police:

Headline: AMBER Alert: Town of Oswegatchie VEH:White 4-door sedan CHILD:12yrs White female 5' 90lbs Hr:brown Eye:brown CHILD:6yrs White female 4' 50l CALL(866)N

NEW YORK STATE AMBER ALERT
Activation Date and Time: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 10:44 PM

The St. Lawrence Co. Sheriff's has activated the New York State AMBER Alert and is investigating a confirmed child abduction that occurred on State Hwy. 812/Mt. Alone Rd., in Town of Oswegatchie at about 7:20 PM on 8/13/2014.

The CHILD, Fannie Miller is a White female, approximately 12 years old with brown hair and brown eyes. She is approximately 5 feet tall and weighs about 90 pounds. Fannie was last seen wearing dark blue dress with blue apron and black bonnet. The victim is also crosseyed.

The CHILD, Delila Miller is a White female, approximately 6 years old with brown hair and brown eyes. She is approximately 4 feet tall and weighs about 50 pounds. Delila was last seen wearing dark blue dress with blue apron and black bonnet. Victim has round scar on forehead and is missing front teeth.

The VEHICLE has been identified as White 4-door sedan. Vehicle is small with unknown plate number.

Two female Amish victims went to their roadside stand to wait on a customer in a small white 4-door sedan. Witness saw passenger of vehicle throw something in back then get in back seat. Vehicle left scene and victims were gone. Anyone with any information on this abduction is asked to call the St. Lawrence Co. Sheriff's at (866)N Y S-AMBER or dial 911 to provide information on a report or sighting.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 10:22:13 AM »

http://albany.twcnews.com/content/news/760822/amber-alert-issued-as-search-continues-for-missing-northern-ny-amish-girls/

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:20:07 PM »

New York State Police Issue AMBER Alert for Two Amish Girls, 12 Year Old Fannie Miller & 7 Year Old Delia Miller, Believed Abducted in the St. Lawrence County Town of Oswegatchie, NY

Posted August 14, 2014 by Scared Monkeys

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/08/14/new-york-state-police-issue-amber-alert-for-two-amish-girls-12-year-old-fannie-miller-7-year-old-delia-miller-believed-abducted-in-the-st-lawrence-county-town-of-oswegatchie-ny/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 12:30:46 PM »

Raw interview: The St. Lawrence County Sheriff discusses the search for 2 Amish girls
08/14/2014

http://www.localsyr.com/story/d/story/raw-interview-the-st-lawrence-county-sheriff-discu/22725/Xa9hyRLg2E2mS64VV_FfVQ

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 03:21:34 PM »

I've read in article(can't find right now) there are no available photos of the two missing girls, due to the Amish beliefs.  However, here is a photo of how they would be dressed:

http://abc7chicago.com/news/amber-alert-for-2-amish-girls-taken-at-roadside-stand/259540/
AMBER ALERT FOR AMISH GIRLS DELILA MILLER, 7, FANNIE MILLER, 12 IN OSWEGATCHIE
August 14, 2014

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »

I've read in article(can't find right now) there are no available photos of the two missing girls, due to the Amish beliefs.  However, here is a photo of how they would be dressed:

http://abc7chicago.com/news/amber-alert-for-2-amish-girls-taken-at-roadside-stand/259540/
AMBER ALERT FOR AMISH GIRLS DELILA MILLER, 7, FANNIE MILLER, 12 IN OSWEGATCHIE
August 14, 2014

Here it is right in the article: 

The girls went to wait on a customer at the family's roadside stand, officials said. A witness saw a passenger in a vehicle put something into the back seat, and when the vehicle drove off the children were gone, police said.

Both girls were wearing dark blue dresses with blue aprons and black bonnets. Because the Amish tend to shun modern technology, police had no photographs of the girls, Wells said.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 05:08:21 PM »

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=1083414#.U-0n52d0zIV

Update: Officials plead for public's help in search for 2 abducted Amish girls
Posted: 08.14.2014 at 11:26 AM Updated: 1 hr, 59 mins ago

Officials release sketch of Fannie Miller

Officials are still targeting a white, four-door sedan that witnesses reported seeing at about the time of the abduction.

Police are talking to several potential witnesses, and dive teams are currently searching the Oswegatchie River and the surrounding area. At this point, investigators say they are not ruling anything out in their search for the girls.

“If you see something, say something. Be an active community member and take initiative and call police,” St. Lawrence County officials say.

Police want to talk to anyone who may have seen the girls from 6 pm Wednesday evening on.

There are no pictures of the girls, but officials say they may bring in a sketch artist if they deem it necessary.

Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the St. Lawrence County Sheriff’s Department at (866) NYS-Amber, or dial 911.
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »

Amber Alert issued for missing girls Delila Miller and Fannie Miller
Aug 14, 2014

A prayer vigil is planned in a northern New York community stunned by the abduction of two young Amish girls from the family's roadside farm stand.

The St. Lawrence County Sheriff's Office says the two girls may have been abducted from the stand, which is near the Canada-U.S. border.

St. Lawrence County Sheriff Kevin Wells said Thursday deputies, state troopers, forest rangers and U.S. Border Patrol agents are part of the ongoing search for Delila Miller, 7, and Fannie Miller, 12.

Wells also said the sheriff's office has received "numerous leads"  and the local Amish community was helping law enforcement by getting the word out despite a culture that avoids modern conveniences.

"You'd be surprised how quick word spreads," Wells said.

Officials issued a special alert for the two girls after they were apparently abducted around 7:30 p.m. ET Wednesday in the rural town of Oswegatchie, N.Y., about 190 kilometres south of Ottawa and 240 km northwest of the New York State capital, Albany.

Rusty Bissell, pastor at nearby Cornerstone Wesleyan Church, has invited the community to a prayer service Thursday evening.

<snipped>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/amber-alert-issued-for-missing-girls-delila-miller-and-fannie-miller-1.2736406

_____

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 07:28:33 PM »

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amish-girls-disappearance-authorities-have-numerous-leads-n180431

Amish Girls' Disappearance: Authorities Have 'Numerous Leads'

Authorities say they have received "numerous leads" after two Amish girls went missing Wednesday evening in the rural New York town of Oswegatchie. The girls, Fannie Miller, 12, and Delila Miller, 6, had gone to their family's roadside vegetable stand to wait on a customer in a white, four-door sedan at about 7:20 p.m. when they were last seen, a witness said. Authorities do not have a license plate number and haven't identified any suspects. St. Lawrence County Sheriff Kevin White said Thursday that it is a "very strong possibility" that the girls were abducted, and that divers are searching the Oswegatchie River to "rule everything out."

The photo below is the area where they were abducted:

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 08:35:26 PM »

No pictures?

Time is of the essence in finding missing Amish girls
Aug 14, 2014

(WKTV) - It's a race against time to find a missing person.

"It is usually a statistic that the first three hours are the most critical," says Wendy Fical, of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in Utica

Sisters Delila Miller, 7; and  Fannie Miller, 12, disappeared after walking to their family's roadside farm stand on Route 812 in rural Oswegatchie in St. Lawrence County.  A witness says a white, four-door sedan pulled up to the family's farm stand. The witness then saw someone shove something into the back seat, then get in the back seat.  The car left and the two girls were gone.

It's not known if the witness, like the missing girls, was Amish, in which case they'd likely not have a cell phone to immediately contact police.

"The challenge is exactly that. Being rural, they don't have the specific make and model and/or license plate, so they will have that right now as a little bit of a challenge, as well as the missing girls do only speak Pennsylvania Dutch with very little English," says Fical.

Another huge challenge -- there are no pictures of the missing girls.

"And right now, we don't have that specific picture so in the event they take the dresses and put the girls into regular, American-type clothes, the resemblance of these girls may not be the same," says Fical.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children is sending out fliers with the girls' description and most updated information -- likely to include a pencil sketch of older sister Fannie Miller, which authorities released Thursday afternoon.

<snipped>

http://www.wktv.com/news/local/Time-is-of-the-essence-in-finding-missing-Amish-girls-271296571.html

_____

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »

I just read on Twitter - found safe!  Let me find more.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 10:16:31 PM »

http://www.wktv.com/news/local/Amish-girls-found-alive-investigation-continues-271332521.html

Amish girls found alive, investigation continues
By WKTV News

Story Created: Aug 14, 2014 at 10:17 PM EDT

Story Updated: Aug 14, 2014 at 10:17 PM EDT
Two Amish girls who went missing in the rural northern New York town of Oswegatchie were found alive late Thursday after nearly a day of frantic searching, St. Lawrence County District Attorney Mary E. Rain said.

The girls — Fannie Miller, 12, and Delila Miller, 6 — were dropped off at a stranger's home in Richville, N.Y.

They disappeared Wednesday after going to their family's roadside vegetable stand to wait on a customer in a white, four-door sedan at about 7:20 p.m. Wednesday. That’s where they were last seen before Thursday evening.

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 10:18:50 PM »

found

Missing Amish Girls Found Alive, Amber Alert Canceled
OSWEGATCHIE, New York — Aug 14, 2014, 4:37 PM ET
By GIO BENITEZ and ALYSSA NEWCOMB
ALYSSA NEWCOMB More From Alyssa »
Digital Reporter

with vid from sheriff

The sisters were dropped off in the town of Richville, about 36 miles from where they were abducted, District Attorney Mary Rain said. The girls walked to the closest home and the man who opened the door immediately knew who the girls were because of news reports.

The girls asked the man to take them home, Rain told ABC News.
The two young girls have been reunited with their family. They "seem to be healthy," but were "cold and wet," the DA told ABC News, and that they are being interviewed by authorities.

Rain said the sisters were still wearing the Amish attire when they were found. She also said that more than one person may have been involved in the girls' abduction.
 http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-amish-girls-found-alive-amber-alert-canceled/story?id=24985109   

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 10:25:37 PM »

_____

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 10:31:53 PM »

I'm so relieved the girls have been found safe!!!   

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 10:33:20 PM »

14 mile from farm stand
richville to farm stand
https://goo.gl/maps/A1HTP

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 10:35:56 PM »

Oh, happy day....!   

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/08/14/search-for-amish-girls-abducted-from-upstate-farm-stand-complicated-by-lack-of-photos/

Missing Amish Girls Found Alive, AMBER Alert Cancelled
August 14, 2014 10:18 PM

The girls are among the youngest of Mose and Barb Miller’s 13 children, who range in age from 1 to 21 years, neighbor Dot Simmons said.

The girls routinely took on the chore of selling the fruits, vegetables, jams and other products of the farm, Simmons said. On Wednesday, the entire family had gone to the barn as usual for evening milking.

But, Simmons said, “The girls were always on watch if someone stopped to buy vegetables.”

When the family noticed the girls hadn’t returned, they quickly checked the cornfield, she said, knowing it was unlikely they would have wandered off. That’s when police were notified, and an AMBER Alert was sent out.

“We were down there last night. I cooked a casserole, cake, stuff like that, and took it down to them,” Simmons said. “I talked to the mother and consoled her.”

St. Lawrence County is home to New York’s second-largest Amish population, which has grown in the past decade because of productive land and property prices lower than in Pennsylvania. The Amish are helping law enforcement get the word out the old-fashioned way — by word of mouth.

“You’d be surprised how quick word spreads,” Wells said.

The Rev. Rusty Bissell, of Cornerstone Wesleyan Church in nearby Heuvelton, invited the community to a prayer service Thursday evening. He described a small, tight-knit community where even small children walk to school. That, he said, has changed overnight.

“There are no kids outside anywhere today,” Bissell said. “There are no kids on bikes, and that’s unusual.”
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 10:38:10 PM »

AMISH GIRLS DELILA MILLER, 7, FANNIE MILLER, 12, FOUND SAFE; AMBER ALERT CANCELED, DA SAYS
Thursday, August 14, 2014

Oswegatchie, NY -- Authorities say two missing Amish girls have turned up safe about 24 hours after they were apparently abducted from their family's roadside farm stand in northern New York.

St. Lawrence County District Attorney Mary Rain says the girls turned up cold and wet but unharmed Thursday evening at a home in Richville, about 13 miles from where they disappeared in the rural town of Oswegatchie.

Word of 12-year-old Fannie and 7-year-old Delila Miller's return came shortly after about 200 people attended a prayer vigil at Cornerstone Wesleyan Church.

<snipped>

http://abc7chicago.com/news/da-amish-girls-safe-after-apparent-abduction/259540/

_____

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 10:40:24 PM »

14 mile from farm stand
richville to farm stand
https://goo.gl/maps/A1HTP

Thanks cw618.

Janet

_____

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.