April 26, 2024, 06:02:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colton Brandt Turner, 2 YO, Last Seen by Others July 2014-Remains found  (Read 63220 times)
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2014, 09:05:15 AM »

Another child who did not have a realistic chance of survival . . .

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2014, 08:41:32 AM »

September 17, 2014 Tweets
https://twitter.com/TerriG_KVUE

Terri Gruca @TerriG_KVUE  ·  14h
Balloon release planned for #ColtonTurner's birthday weekend. Why filing more serious charges against mom & boyfriend may be difficult @KVUE

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2014/09/17/more-charges-may-not-come-quickly-in-colton-turner-case/15804271/
More charges may not come quickly in Colton Turner case
September 17, 2014

AUSTIN -- Prosecutors handling the case of 2-year-old Colton Turner could face hurdles in filing additional charges in his death, legal and forensic experts say.

His mother, 20-year-old Meagan Work, and her boyfriend, Michael Brandt Turner, 29, are currently charged with evidence tampering, a second-degree felony. More severe charges, such as murder or injury to a child, are first-degree felonies for which they could face up to life in prison.

What charges prosecutors ultimately file likely will depend on whether medical examiners can determine how Colton died -- a determination that could be difficult because his remains were in a shallow grave for about two months.

"When all you have left are the bones, you can only work with the bones. You don't have any organs that you can examine for natural causes of death and you don't have soft tissue where superficial injuries would be located," said Dr. Judy Melinek, a nationally known forensic pathologist based in San Francisco.

Austin attorney Mindy Montford, a former prosecutor who has handled child abuse cases, said a cause of death can be important to the prosecution's case — and difficult without it — but that cases may still proceed without one.

"You are not always going to have a cause of death," she said. "So there is a way that if they cannot determine what the cause of death would be, they can present it to the grand jury just as an 'unknown' based on the information we have. But they are going to want to try to move forward with as much information as they can gather just to eliminate any questions possible grand jurors might have."

Austin attorney Brad Urrutia said, however, that he thinks information about how Colton died will be critical to the prosecution's case.

"They have to find a cause of death that somehow relates to an injury," he said. He also said if they are unable to learn a cause of death, prosecutors could still build a case based on circumstantial evidence.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2014, 05:56:02 PM »

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2014/09/18/meagan-works-sister-talks-about-their-childhood-coltons-life/15857241/
Work's sister talks about their childhood, Colton's life
September 19, 2014

"Something needs to be changed, because now, my nephew is dead because they did not give the time of day to him," said Heather Tyler.
Tyler is Meagan Work's older sister -- a woman now filled with grief, guilt and frustration toward Child Protective Services.

"I've had random family members tell me that, 'I called CPS on Meagan, and they didn't do anything, and they told me they would call me back.' And it's like they don't even live here. They live five hours away, and they called CPS on Meagan, and no one did anything about it," said Tyler.

Law enforcement sources tell KVUE News from the time Colton was six months old until investigators found his body, CPS received four complaints into possible abuse against him.

"CPS did not stand up for Colton, did not help Colton in any way, and now he's dead," Tyler said.

And it's not just Colton. Tyler said CPS didn't stand up for her, Meagan or their younger sister.

"My parents, they were on drugs and made bad choices, and so I did what I could to protect them and take care of them and raise them ever since I was in elementary school," Tyler.

Tyler said she especially took care of Work, who is four years younger than her.

"She was so smart. She loved books. She was happy. She loved animals. I mean, she was a great kid that was dealing with a lot that she shouldn't have," Tyler said. "I would get up, get her dressed, make our lunch. We would walk to school, and she would sit in my class and basically wait, you know, for her school to start, because my mom would be home sleeping."

Tyler said her stepfather sexually abused her and CPS first investigated the family when she was 2 years old.

"No child should experience what I experienced. I mean, they shouldn't. And it's terrible," said Tyler, holding back tears. "We were told what goes on in this house stays in this house. So of course, no, I didn't tell anyone."

When Tyler turned 17, she left home to live with friends and told someone about the abuse. CPS removed Work and her younger sister from their parents' home for about a year, then returned them.

"I just feel that if I didn't leave that none of this would have happened. I feel like I let Meagan down," said Tyler.

Tyler said she last saw Work at their mother's funeral in February and said the 20-year-old looked well, but she couldn't say the same for Colton.

"He seemed fine. He didn't, I mean, he didn't have any bruises or scratches on him or anything but he, I mean, I guess he was wearing clothes that were too small for him. He looked like, I mean I just don't want to say. He didn't look OK," Tyler said.

Tyler said she didn't think Colton was being abused, but neglected.

"He just looked like he wasn't being taken care of. You know, he just didn't look clean," she said.

Police have charged Work with tampering with evidence and named her a person of interest in Colton's death, leaving Tyler wondering if she could have done more.

"A child should not live the life that we lived. And so I feel like she had demons that she was dealing with, and that she was facing that she obviously just couldn't face. And it turned her into a monster I guess," said Tyler. "I didn't raise a murderer and that's what hurts. Like, I just can't believe this was going on."

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2014, 09:04:33 PM »

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crime-law/donations-pay-for-colton-turners-funeral-expenses/nhQyR/
Donations pay for Colton Turner’s funeral expenses
September 19, 2014

All of the funeral expenses for Colton Turner have been covered by the community and local service providers, said Jessica McDunn, a spokeswoman for Cook-Walden Davis Funeral Home in Georgetown.
Services to honor Turner — who would have turned 3 years old on Sept. 21 — have not yet been scheduled. His family has chosen to donate money that was raised to the Center for Child Protection, Williamson County Children’s Advocacy Center, Hope Alliance and Angelheart Kids child placement services, McDunn said.
Investigators found Turner’s body buried in a shallow grave in a field in Southeast Austin Sept. 12. His mother, Meagan Work, and her boyfriend, Michael Turner, have both been charged with tampering with evidence in connection with the boy’s death.
The remains are currently in the custody of the Travis County Medical Examiner’s office.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2014, 10:27:51 PM »

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local/document-boyfriend-reported-child-care-expenses-af/nhPhT/?icmp=statesman_internallink_textlink_apr2013_statesmanstubtomystatesman_launch#6ff1ffa8.3400691.735494
Document: Boyfriend reported child care expenses after Colton’s death
September 17, 2014

SAN SABA — When Michael Brandt Turner was arrested Sept. 4 because his probation was revoked after testing positive for marijuana and failing to report to his probation officers, he requested a court-appointed attorney, according to court records.
On the application for such a lawyer, Turner, 29, wrote that he was doing “maintenance and assembly” work at an Austin auto shop. He listed Meagan Work as his wife and Colton Turner as his son. He also said that he was paying $300 per month for child care, and that he, Work and Colton were living at his mother’s home in Leander.
But Turner would later tell police that Colton had been dead for nearly two months when he filled out that form, according to an affidavit for his arrest.

For Turner, the arrest is another twist in a criminal history that stretches back more than a decade. He has been booked in the Williamson County Jail 20 times since 2002 with convictions for assaulting his mother and sister, driving while intoxicated, buying alcohol for a minor and several counts of marijuana possession. His Sept. 4 arrest stems from a theft case in which he was convicted for stealing copper wiring in 2011 in San Saba County.

Reached by phone Wednesday, Turner’s mother, Laquita, said she didn’t want to comment, but during a phone interview Monday she said she was hoping Turner had nothing to do with Colton’s disappearance.

Michael Turner and Work had been together for three years, she said, and “were just trying to make it.”

Brianna Spieldenner, Work’s friend who called police about Colton last week, said Turner started dating Work when she was pregnant with Colton and, though he never had steady employment, he provided for her during her pregnancy.

Spieldenner said it was easy for Work to give her son Turner’s name and not the name of Colton’s biological father, Brandon Pelfrey, who was serving time in prison on an aggravated assault charge.

Though Work “got worse after Mike,” according to Spieldenner, she also said that Work seemed to be a bad influence on him.

“Maybe he was not a great father,” she said. “But he was a better father than Meagan was a mother.”

Turner has said that he was at the hospital when Colton was born, three years ago this Sunday, according to his arrest affidavit. He told police that Colton was “his son.”

But on the website of the funeral home planning the child’s burial service, his name is no longer Colton Brandt Turner.

It’s Colton Turner Pelfrey.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2014, 10:30:38 PM »

Funeral services are not yet set, from what I can gather at this time.

http://cook-walden-davis.tributes.com/dignitymemorial/obituary/Colton-Turner-Pelfrey-101687162

In Memory of
Colton Turner Pelfrey
Unknown

Arrangements under the direction of Cook-Walden Davis Funeral Home, Georgetown, TX.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2014, 10:33:49 PM »

http://www.legacy.com/funeral-homes/texas/georgetown/cook-walden-davis-funeral-home/fh-4300
Cook-Walden Davis Funeral Home

In Memory of
Colton Turner Pelfrey
September 21, 2011 - September 12, 2014
Obituary

Colton Turner Pelfrey, age 2, was born on September 21, 2011 in Cedar Park. He was a sweet little boy full of life. He loved the great outdoors, playing in the mud and water with his daddy, and getting into things that boys do. His favorite movie was 'Planet of the Apes' and he enjoyed going to the park. His precious life was taken too soon.

Colton is preceded in death by his grandmother Talyeen Work and great-grandfather, Robert Pelfrey. Those left behind to cherish his memory are his father, Brandon Pelfrey of Bertram; grandparents, Kim and David Vidaure of Bertram, Sid Work and Marla Morgan of Austin, and David and Trina Pelfrey of Indiana; great-grandparents, Larry and Sue Cantrell of Briggs, Betty and Paul Cunningham of Leander, Donna Pelfrey of Indiana, Mary Viduare of Georgetown, Nikki Dunford of Jacksonville, James Wallmack of Troop, Clifferd Work of Jacksonville, and Jeri Jean Wunch of Bastrop; godmother, Brianna Spieldenner of Georgetown; and his Mimi, Jessica Click of Cedar Park. He is also survived by numerous aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.

Visitation and Funeral Services are currently pending with Cook-Walden/Davis Funeral Home.

(There is a guest book and also a photo gallery with 38 images)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2014, 05:15:21 PM »

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/26581907/more-than-10000-raised-for-colton-turners-funeral
More than $10,000 raised for Colton Turner's funeral
September 19, 2014

An online campaign to fund Colton Turner's funeral has raised more than $10,000.

Cook-Walden Davis Funeral Home tells FOX 7 that local business are covering those expenses and that Colton's family will donate all of the money raised to four children's welfare charities in his name.

No funeral services have been announced yet.

All the toys that were donated for Colton's 3rd birthday, which will be observed this weekend, will be donated to Angelheart, an organization for abused and neglected children in state care.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2014/09/21/community-to-remember-colton-turner-on-his-birthday/16021125/
Community to remember Colton Turner on his birthday
September 21, 2014

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »

http://kxan.com/2014/09/21/cps-employees-could-be-fired-over-colton-turner-case/
CPS employees could be fired over Colton Turner case
Published September 21, 2014, Updated September 22, 2014

AUSTIN (KXAN) —  The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services has confirmed to KXAN that Texas Child Protective Services employees could face “personnel actions” over the handling of the Colton Turner case. That includes possible termination or other disciplinary measures, according to officials.

DFPS spokesman Patrick Crimmins told KXAN Sunday that Department of Family and Protective Services Commissioner John Specia Jr. will oversee the review. So far, the punishments and reviews have not been finalized

Investigators believe they found Colton Turner’s body buried in a Southeast Austin field on Sept. 12. Last week, KXAN revealed the CPS review. It is still not clear when the agency first learned about abuse complaints involving Colton.

CPS “involvement” with Colton

The timeline on when the Texas Division of Child and Protective Services first learned about abuse complaints involving Colton remains unclear. But CPS spokeswoman Julie Moody told KXAN on Tuesday that the agency “had involvement” with Turner’s mother, Meagan Work. Work, along with her boyfriend and son’s namesake, Michael Brandt Turner, are both being held in the Travis County jail on $250,000 bond, jail records showed. They are both charged with tampering with evidence. Police have said further charges could be brought.

Moody also confirms to KXAN CPS staff decided on the evening of Sept. 12 to conduct an internal review into how its investigators handled any complaints. Law enforcement sources told KXAN Monday there were four known abuse complaints made to CPS regarding Colton’s well being. An Austin Police warrant affidavit released Monday requesting a search of Work’s Facebook page contends CPS ‘was advised’ of photos showing bruises and injuries on Colton’s back and face.

Moody would not confirm whether there was an active investigation into abuse complaints or that its staff could not find Meagan Work, as police officials indicated. A team of Cedar Park Police patrol officers and detectives located Work in hours, Chief Sean Mannix told KXAN Monday.
Colton’s body was recovered in a shallow grave in Southeast Austin 42 hours after detectives received their first tip from the public the little boy had not been seen since midsummer. They were led there by Work’s boyfriend Michael Turner, the affidavit contends.

CPS will also conduct a standard death investigation. State law also requires CPS staff to fill out a form 2059 – a Summary of Client Needs. It could reveal more about how Colton was living before he disappeared – providing it turns out there was an investigation then. Police say his mother Meagan Work was living in her green Dodge pick-up truck for months when she was located last week. That truck has been through a forensic examination and is now in police lock-up, law enforcement officials confirmed.

Colton Turner’s last days

Meanwhile, investigators spoke with Colton Turner’s mother, Meagan Work, and asked her if there would be any signs of injury to the boy’s body. According to the document, Work told officers there would be a large “bump” on his head from falling down days before. She also said there would probably be bruising on his body.

“Colton had hit his head on the air conditioning unit inside of the motel room as the result of Colton being assaulted. From that point, Colton was unable to walk and was not acting normal,” the document reads.

Investigators drove back to the San Saba County Jail to talk with Michael Turner about Colton’s injuries. According to the probable cause document, Turner told investigators the bump was Colton’s head “days before his death.”

When investigators asked Turner what he thought happened to the boy, he said Meagan had to have “done something” to him.

No murder charge yet

Both Meagan Work and Michael Turner are charged, but neither with murder. At least not yet. Work and Turner face charges of Tampering with Evidence for burying Colton’s body. But the case could become a murder case as more evidence is uncovered.

“I think they will wait and see what the autopsy shows and the search warrants they filed to see if there was prior bruising,” said legal expert and former prosecutor Mindy Montford. “They will piece all that together and determine what charge is appropriate.”

The arrest warrants filed do not say who is responsible for the assault which caused the injury which may have lead to Colton’s death, but a key piece of evidence for a murder charge could come from the testimony of the suspects themselves.

“You do see a lot of time with co-defendant’s, one will get a lesser charge if they cooperate,” said Montford. “I think (Michael Turner) is on probation right now so that could play into the motivation for him wanting to give law enforcement assistance.”

Police say Turner is the one who told them the truth about Colton’s death and led them to the body.

Tampering with Evidence is typically a 3rd degree felony (2-10 year sentence), however, when the evidence is a human body it can be enhanced to a 2nd degree (2-20 years). The enhancement for cases involving a human body came in response to the murder of Jennifer Cave who was murdered and dismembered in West Campus back in 2005.

If murder charges are filed, it is possible it could be tried as a Capital Murder case due to Colton Turner’s age.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2014, 11:55:31 AM »

http://kxan.com/2014/09/22/first-court-date-reset-in-colton-turner-case/
First court date reset in Colton Turner case
September 22, 2014

AUSTIN (KXAN) —  The first court date for Meagan Work and her boyfriend, Michael Brandt Turner, has been reset for Oct. 30 in connection to the death of 2-year-old Colton Brandt Turner. Initially, the date was set for this Tuesday. Work, Colton’s mother, and 29-year-old Michael Brandt Turner, both face a charge of tampering with physical evidence after police found Colton’s body buried in a shallow grave near Felter Lane in Southeast Austin on Friday. Colton was wrapped in a purple blanket, lying beneath a pile of wood and Sheetrock.

Work is being represented by Austin criminal defense attorney Darla Davis, who served as an assistant district attorney in Travis County for 13 years. Meanwhile, Turner — recently transferred to the Travis County Jail from San Saba County — is being represented by defense attorney William White. Both Worker and Turner are being held in the Travis County Jail on $250,000 bond, jail records showed on Sept. 16.

Meanwhile, the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services has confirmed to KXAN that Texas Child Protective Services employees could face “personnel actions” over the handling of the Colton Turner case. That includes possible termination or other disciplinary measures, according to officials.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2014, 12:24:07 PM »

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2014/09/21/cps-expect-to-discipline-employees-involved-in-colton-turner-case/16032627/
Discipline expected for CPS workers in Colton Turner case
September 22, 2014

AUSTIN -- Officials for Texas Child Protective Services have confirmed they expect to discipline employees involved in the case of Colton Turner, according to KVUE's partners at the Austin American-Statesman.

A CPS spokesman would not confirm the number of workers who face punishment, or what failures have been discovered as part of an internal investigation.

Law enforcement officials told KVUE News and the Statesman that they had received four complaints that Colton was a victim of abuse.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2014, 09:40:52 PM »

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2014/09/24/former-cps-workers-say-caseloads-too-much/16175737/
Former CPS workers say caseloads too much
September 24, 2014

AUSTIN -- The Travis County Medical Examiners Office is unable to determine if the body recovered in Southeast Austin earlier this month is 2-year-old Colton Turner.

They've sent samples to a DNA lab at the University of North Texas.

CPS is conducting multiple internal investigation into whether caseworkers were at fault in any way related to the recent death of Colton Turner.

A report should be out in the next week.

We checked to see just how overloaded caseworkers are right now. Last month, on average, a CPS caseworker in Travis County had 21.4 cases.

Williamson County caseworkers had 12.8 and for Hays County 14.2.

In June, a report was released calling for 'dramatic improvements' and changes to CPS. The report cited CPS would make changes within 90 days from the report's release.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2014, 09:45:56 PM »

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/26619119/could-coltons-law-help-abused-children-survive
Could "Colton's Law" help abused children survive?
September 24, 2014

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »

http://kxan.com/2014/09/25/medical-examiner-body-not-referred-to-as-colton-turner/
Medical Examiner: Body not referred to as Colton Turner
September 25, 2014

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Travis County Medical Examiner says the body found in Southeast Austin is not yet officially considered 2-year-old Colton Turner. Officials say they are awaiting scientific identification through DNA analysis. That’s happening at the University of North Texas, where specimens from the body of the unidentified child were sent.

Spokeswoman Sarah Scott also says the Medical Examiner’s Office is not releasing a cause of death on the child’s body, saying information is limited.

“The investigation is continuing, and there is a law enforcement objection to the release of information,” said Scott.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2014, 10:02:40 AM »

http://kxan.com/2014/09/30/lawmakers-meet-to-curb-child-abuse-deaths-colton-turners-family-say-they-waant-new-law/
Colton Turner’s family says they want new law
Published September 30, 2014, Updated October 1, 2014

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2014, 04:36:44 PM »

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/cps-failed-to-protect-colton-turner-state-report-s/nhZp8/
Report: CPS ‘failed to protect Colton Turner’
October 2, 2014

12 p.m. update: Despite learning in May about photos of a bruised and injured Colton Turner, Child Protective Services never asked for the photos or made a significant effort to find the child, according to the six-page report released by the state.
The American-Statesman reported last month that the agency was expected to discipline workers who handled the case.
In the report released today, Family and Protective Services blasts its own work in the case, saying investigator Diana Cortinaz:
Did not ask for the photos or take action on a report that Colton “had visible injuries and looked ill in photographs posted on the mother’s Facebook page.”
Did not initiate a joint investigation with law enforcement
Did not see the boy after March 2014, despite additional reports of abuse in May and June
Did not appropriately investigate Colton’s living conditions

Meanwhile, supervisors were accused of not tracking other children who were not being seen in a timely manner. The state also says supervisor Liza De Leon failed to ensure that investigations were being initiated, thoroughly conducted and completed.
Over a period of two years, Child Protective Services received six reports alleging that Colton was being abused. The agency conducted four investigations.
According to the personnel action recommending her dismissal, Cortinaz said she told De Leon that she was not contacting families in a timely manner but that a supervisor helped develop a plan to see the children. Cortinaz, however, said that she did not follow up on that plan.
The personnel action also says that the investigator did not tell De Leon about the June abuse report or ask for help, even though she had received support in the past.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2014, 09:26:46 PM »

http://kxan.com/2014/10/02/cps-workers-fired-in-colton-turner-case/
CPS workers fired in Colton Turner case
Read full CPS investigation below

Published: October 2, 2014, 9:42 am    Updated: October 2, 2014, 8:31 pm

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2014, 11:36:19 AM »

October 24, 2014 Tweets
https://twitter.com/KXAN_News

KXAN News @KXAN_News  ·  6s 6 seconds ago
MORE: New charges coming in #ColtonTurner case.
http://bit.ly/10rCalE

KXAN News @KXAN_News  ·  8m 8 minutes ago
New charges have been filed int he #ColtonTurner case. There is an 11:30 news conference for more details. We'll stream it live.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »

http://kxan.com/2014/10/24/new-charges-filed-in-colton-turner-case/
New charges filed in Colton Turner case
October 24, 2014

AUSTIN (KXAN) – Additional charges are being filed in connection with the disappearance and presumed death of 4-year-old Colton Turner, Austin Police announced Friday.

An 11:30 a.m. news conference has been called, where police are expected to give more details about the case.

Turner’s mother, Megan Work is being held in the Travis County Jail in lieu of $250,000 bond in connection with the boy’s disappearance. Her boyfriend, Michael Brandt Turner, is also facing charges.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.