March 28, 2024, 04:35:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Ebola Case Confirmed in US - Texas  (Read 40251 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: September 30, 2014, 04:41:11 PM »

BREAKING: CDC: First Ebola case diagnosed in US

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/Case-of-Ebola-Confirmed-in-the-US-CDC-277648611.html

Case of Ebola Confirmed in the U.S.: CDC
Ebola case believed to be patient from Dallas

By Frank Heinz

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2014 • Updated at 3:56 PM CDT

A news conference is expected to be held at 4:30 p.m. Video from that news conference will appear in the player above.

The first case of the Ebola virus has been diagnosed in the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed Tuesday.

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »

a replay of the CDC pc should be up soon here

Case of Ebola Confirmed in Dallas: CDC
CDC says risk of Ebola outbreak in the United States is extremely low
By Frank Heinz
Tuesday, Sep 30, 2014 • Updated at 4:30 PM CDT
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/Case-of-Ebola-Confirmed-in-the-US-CDC-277648611.html

Case of Ebola Confirmed in Dallas: CDC
CDC says risk of Ebola outbreak in the United States is extremely low
By Frank Heinz
Tuesday, Sep 30, 2014 • Updated at 5:16 PM CDT

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 06:16:58 PM »

from the CDC pc, the infected person (male), is visting fam in TX
and came from Liberia
asked 2Xs if an american citizen, and that was the answer sighting 
patient confidentiality, it was expressed that the CDC believes ebola
can be contained in the USA

JMO, i believe it prob could be contained with few infections, if it never
pops up in say a large city housing, like an apt complex of hundreds or
thousands of persons, if that would happen im not sure of the containment
then 

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:24:30 PM »

The scary part is that this patient got sick, went to the ER with symptoms after coming from LIBERIA and was sent home - at this time he was contagious. Then he wandered around for a couple of days and then went back to the ER - all the time CONTAGIOUS.  And according to my source that works at the hospital, the staff was alerted when they read it in the NEWS.  SCARY.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 10:04:31 AM »

The scary part is that this patient got sick, went to the ER with symptoms after coming from LIBERIA and was sent home - at this time he was contagious. Then he wandered around for a couple of days and then went back to the ER - all the time CONTAGIOUS.  And according to my source that works at the hospital, the staff was alerted when they read it in the NEWS.  SCARY.

Very scary.    

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:26 AM »

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/health/2014/10/01/paramedics-er-staff-under-ebola-observation/16522827/
Paramedics, ER staff under Ebola observation
October 1, 2014

DALLAS -- Three Dallas Fire-Rescue paramedics and several emergency room workers at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital are off work and under observation after making contact with the patient being treated for Ebola.
The Texas Department of State Health Services lab on Lamar Boulevard in Austin tested the blood sample. DSHS officials said they received the blood sample at 9 a.m. Tuesday. Technicians made sure it was contained at the DSHS lab by treating the virus to destroy it both before and after the test.

The lab in Austin recently became certified to test for Ebola on Aug. 22.

Officials said there is a low risk of the virus spreading, but officials are taking precautions.

"We have systems in place to try to monitor hospital emergency departments, chief complaints, to see if there's any spikes in GI, gastrointestinal illnesses, or flu-like illness," said Dr. Phil Huang, medical director of the Austin-Travis County Health and Human Services Department. "We monitor some of the over-the-counter medication to see if there's spikes."

The man who tested positive is being treated in isolation while doctors look for everyone who has come in contact with him. KVUE's partners at WFAA in Dallas said the Dallas County Health and Human Services Department is following up with the Centers for Disease Control about the man's family members, including children.

The City of Dallas activated its emergency operations center is in on level two high alert.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry will travel back to the state on Wednesday after hearing about the case. He got word of the diagnosis Tuesday night while in New York. He spoke about the diagnosis during a campaign stop for New York Republican gubernatorial candidate Rob Astorino in Buffalo, N.Y. He said he's taking every step necessary to make sure the patient receives the finest care possible.

"We'll continue to monitor the situation and the patient's progress and work to identify any people who have come in contact with them as well," Perry said. "Bu tit's leadership that matters when major tragedy faces a state, faces a nation, and it's that competency we look for in our leaders."

Perry will hold a press conference at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas at noon Wednesday.

Video at Link

CDC officials arrived in Dallas Tuesday night to begin a contact investigation and interview everyone who has come in contact with the patient.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 10:09:58 AM »

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/health/2014/10/01/thompson-dallas-county-ebola-patient-cases/16524303/
Thompson: Associate of Dallas Ebola patient under close monitoring
October 1, 2014

DALLAS — Due to close contact with a patient diagnosed with the Ebola virus, a second person is under the close monitoring of health officials as a possible second patient, said the director of Dallas County's health department Wednesday morning in an interview with WFAA.

Zachary Thompson, the director of Dallas County Health and Human Services, says all those who've been in close contact with the diagnosed patient are being monitored as a precaution. However, Thompson pointed to one person in particular as a potential second case.

"Let me be real frank to the Dallas County residents, the fact that we have one confirmed case, there may be another case that is a close associate with this particular patient," he said in a Wednesday interview with WFAA. "... So this is real. There should be a concern, but it's contained to the specific family members and close friends at this moment."

The director continued to assure residents that the public isn't at risk as health officials have the virus contained.
More...

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 01:56:27 PM »

Texas Says That Up to 100 Are at Risk of Ebola Exposure
By KEVIN SACK and MARC SANTORAOCT. 2, 2014

DALLAS — Health officials in Texas said Thursday that they had reached out to as many as 100 people who may have had contact — either directly or indirectly — with a Liberian man sick with the Ebola virus while he was contagious.

Of those people, only a handful have been isolated, including family members and the medical technicians who rushed the patient, Thomas E. Duncan, to the hospital on Sunday. Most on the list are there simply because they had contact with people who had had contact with Mr. Duncan.

A spokeswoman for the Dallas County health and human services department, Erikka Neroes, said the initial list of 12 to 18 people thought to have direct contact with Mr. Duncan had been expanded to people who had either direct or secondary contact.

more
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/03/us/dallas-ebola-case-thomas-duncan-contacts.html?_r=0 

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 01:58:03 PM »

Retracing the Steps of the Dallas Ebola Patient
Health officials are tracking down people who may have been in contact with a man in Dallas who has been found to have the Ebola virus. He has been identified by Liberian health officials and The Associated Press as Thomas Eric Duncan, a Liberian national. OCT. 1, 2014
graphic @ link
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/01/us/retracing-the-steps-of-the-dallas-ebola-patient.html

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 02:02:47 PM »

the area of apt complex
https://goo.gl/maps/UBdEz

Ebola Patient's Family Ordered To Stay Inside After Trying to Leave
Oct 2, 2014, 1:32 PM ET
By MEGHAN KENEALLY
MEGHAN KENEALLY More From Meghan »
Digital Reporter

via GOOD MORNING AMERICA
The family of the Texas Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan have been ordered to stay in their home after violating official's initial request not to leave.

"There were violations of the request to not leave their premises," Dallas judge Clay Jenkins said of the breach that prompted the Texas Department of State Health Services to order the quarantine.

Duncan was staying with family members in Dallas when he became ill and was confined to an isolation unit at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas. His family members, including five school age children, were told to remain at home.

The entire apartment complex is being power washed today.

The order came as authorities track all the people who Duncan is believed to have come in contact with since his arrival. The circle of people who have come into contact with him has grown rapidly from 18 Wednesday night to 100, according to Texas health officials.

"Out of an abundance of caution, we're starting with this very wide net, including people who have had even brief encounters with the patient or the patient's home," Texas Department of State Health Services spokesperson Carrie Wilson said in a statement. "The number will drop as we focus in on those whose contact may represent a potential risk of infection."

A team of 10 experts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have arrived in Dallas and will be helping the local health officials "find, assess, and assist everyone who came into contact" with Duncan, according to a CDC news release.
more and video
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/texas-ebola-patients-contacts-now-reach-100/story?id=25912405

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 03:33:27 PM »

i saw a news clip on tv earlier today, with MR Duncans bro/cuz, he says
Mr. Duncan is not doing well, so that being said

Liberia To Prosecute Man Who Brought Ebola To U.S.
Associated Press    | By JONATHAN PAYE-LAYLEH
Posted: 10/02/2014 1:14 pm EDT Updated: 1 hour ago

MONROVIA, Liberia (AP) — Liberian authorities say they plan to prosecute the man infected with Ebola who brought the disease to the United States, saying he lied on his airport health questionnaire.

With an Ebola crisis raging in West Africa, passengers leaving Liberia are being screened for fever and are asked if they have had contact with anyone infected.

On the questionnaire obtained by The Associated Press, Thomas Eric Duncan answered 'no' to those questions.

Neighbors say Duncan had helped a sick pregnant woman who later died of the disease. Her illness at the time was believed to be pregnancy-related.

Binyah Kesselly, chairman of the board of directors of the Liberia Airport Authority, told reporters Thursday that Duncan will be prosecuted when he returns to Liberia.
more
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/02/liberia-prosecute-ebola-us-thomas-eric-duncan_n_5921848.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 06:18:46 PM »

Mr. Thomas Eric Duncan has passed away
condolences to his family and friends
 an angelic monkey

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »

Texas Ebola victim to be cremated
Michael Winter, USA TODAY 12:06 a.m. EDT October 9, 2014
video at link

Texas authorities will follow federal guidelines and cremate the body of Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person killed by the Ebola virus in the United States.

The 42-year-old Liberian died Wednesday at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas.

Under standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an Ebola victim's body is quickly wrapped in a plastic shroud, then sealed in two leak-proof bags that are disinfected. Personnel must wear protective clothing, gloves and goggles.

To prevent the spread of the virus, which is most prevalent at death, no autopsy was performed.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/08/ebola-duncan-death-cremation/16930631/

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 06:26:45 PM »

standards CDC
Guidance for Safe Handling of Human Remains of Ebola Patients in U. S. Hospitals and Mortuaries
http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/guidance-safe-handling-human-remains-ebola-patients-us-hospitals-mortuaries.html

theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 09:28:07 AM »

I love heath care workers and respect the job they do - we, in the USA have some of the best trained in the world.  How could this happen?  Most of the time, workers that are exposed remember how it happened (I stuck myself, I found a rip, I was so tired I was sloppy) but in this case (and other cases of health care workers) seem to have no such memories. This is the scariest part to me.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/12/texas-health-care-worker-ebola/17147449/

Texas health care worker tests positive for Ebola

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 11:23:05 AM »

TBM  It is scary. I understand things happen. But I question how prepared they really are here for this. I know they keep saying they are. But, are they really? Sad to say but I don't think so.  I fully expected someone in Mr. Duncans family to come down with it, not one of the nurses.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 12:03:37 PM »

CDC chief: Second Ebola case in US a result of 'breach of protocol'
Published October 12, 2014

The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said a "breach of protocol" caused a health care worker at a Dallas hospital to preliminarily test positive for Ebola.

The health care worker, a female nurse at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, had "extensive contact" on multiple occasions with Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S., who died last week, Dr. Tom Frieden said in a press conference Sunday.

<snipped>

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/12/health-care-worker-at-dallas-hospital-tests-positive-for-ebola/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 12:05:08 PM »

Texas Nurse at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas Tests Positive for Ebola … “Extensive Contact” on “Multiple Cccasions” with Deceased Ebola Patient Thomas Eric Duncan

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/10/12/texas-nurse-at-texas-health-presbyterian-hospital-in-dallas-tests-positive-for-ebola-extensive-contact-on-multiple-cccasions-with-deceased-ebola-patient-thomas-eric-duncan/

Now we have the 1st case of Ebola transmission in the United States …

From the Texas Department of State Healthcare Services, a nurse at the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas has tested positive for Ebola. The healthcare worker is considered the first case of Ebola transmitted infection in the United States. The unnamed healthcare worker, Patient #2,  is said to have has “extensive contact” om “multiple occasions” with Liberian Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan, who is now deceased. According to Dr. Thomas Frieden, the director of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Protection, in an press conference on Sunday said that a “breach of protocol” was responsible for the transmission of the Ebola virus.

According to reports,  the infected worker wore a gown, gloves, mask and shield when providing care to Duncan. WHEN IN THE HELL IS THE UNITED STATES GOING TO RESTRICT ALL NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL FROM WEST AFRICAN COUNTRIES RAMPED WITH EBOLA? It is obvious that there will always be one-off mistakes when it comes to the treatment of a patient that is or is not suspected of Ebola. Travel restrictions and quarantine is an obvious way to prevent from having to deal with this insidious disease in the United States.

It really is hard to believe that we have known about Ebola since the early 1970's, but it has always been considered a disease that only happens in third world countries. However, with the globalization of the 21 century and the US govt not giving a rat's butt about borders or who we allow in the country and from where in the world, including Ebola ravished countries.

UNREAL!!!

Here is two common sense thoughts:

1. Travel restrictions from anyone coming to the United States via West Africa. (You will be quarantined for 3 weeks before allowed to enter the US) Sorry, but it is obvious anyone can lie on a screening questionnaire as see by Thomas Eric Duncan.
2. All hospitals should be aware of Ebola and trained in protocols, however, one some one is diagnosed with the disease they need to be sent to specific locations where the healthcare personnel are specifically trained to deal with Ebola so that there will be no breeches in protocol.

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 12:05:13 PM »

Barack Obama agrees with the WHO spokesperson ... no travel ban.  Apparently ... the economy of Liberia takes precedent over the lives of Americans.

Janet

++++

Why hasn’t the U.S. closed its airports to travelers from Ebola-ravaged countries?
October 4, 2014

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/10/01/why-hasnt-the-u-s-closed-its-airports-to-travelers-from-ebola-ravaged-countries/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 12:46:35 PM »

Texas Nurse at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas Tests Positive for Ebola … “Extensive Contact” on “Multiple Cccasions” with Deceased Ebola Patient Thomas Eric Duncan

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/10/12/texas-nurse-at-texas-health-presbyterian-hospital-in-dallas-tests-positive-for-ebola-extensive-contact-on-multiple-cccasions-with-deceased-ebola-patient-thomas-eric-duncan/

Now we have the 1st case of Ebola transmission in the United States …

From the Texas Department of State Healthcare Services, a nurse at the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas has tested positive for Ebola. The healthcare worker is considered the first case of Ebola transmitted infection in the United States. The unnamed healthcare worker, Patient #2,  is said to have has “extensive contact” om “multiple occasions” with Liberian Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan, who is now deceased. According to Dr. Thomas Frieden, the director of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Protection, in an press conference on Sunday said that a “breach of protocol” was responsible for the transmission of the Ebola virus.

According to reports,  the infected worker wore a gown, gloves, mask and shield when providing care to Duncan. WHEN IN THE HELL IS THE UNITED STATES GOING TO RESTRICT ALL NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL FROM WEST AFRICAN COUNTRIES RAMPED WITH EBOLA? It is obvious that there will always be one-off mistakes when it comes to the treatment of a patient that is or is not suspected of Ebola. Travel restrictions and quarantine is an obvious way to prevent from having to deal with this insidious disease in the United States.

It really is hard to believe that we have known about Ebola since the early 1970's, but it has always been considered a disease that only happens in third world countries. However, with the globalization of the 21 century and the US govt not giving a rat's butt about borders or who we allow in the country and from where in the world, including Ebola ravished countries.

UNREAL!!!

Here is two common sense thoughts:

1. Travel restrictions from anyone coming to the United States via West Africa. (You will be quarantined for 3 weeks before allowed to enter the US) Sorry, but it is obvious anyone can lie on a screening questionnaire as see by Thomas Eric Duncan.
2. All hospitals should be aware of Ebola and trained in protocols, however, one some one is diagnosed with the disease they need to be sent to specific locations where the healthcare personnel are specifically trained to deal with Ebola so that there will be no breeches in protocol.

I agree with you a 100% Red.  Will they do them? Not a chance in he77 will it happen. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.