March 18, 2024, 10:05:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UVA Coed Hannah Elizabeth Graham Missing 9/13/14 in Charlottesville, VA#2  (Read 499142 times)
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #220 on: November 07, 2014, 11:19:29 AM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/suspect-in-u-va-case-linked-to-earlier-assault-via-dna-from-victims-fingernail/2014/11/06/e1efd010-65d9-11e4-bb14-4cfea1e742d5_story.html

Suspect in U-Va. case linked to earlier assault via DNA from victim’s fingernail

By Justin Jouvenal and T. Rees Shapiro November 6 at 2:37 PM

The man accused of abducting University of Virginia student Hannah Graham has been linked to a 2005 sexual assault in Fairfax County via DNA evidence collected from one of the victim’s fingernails, according to court records.

The Virginia Department of Forensic Science’s comparison of DNA taken from Jesse L. Matthew Jr. and the sample taken from the woman at the time of the attack concluded that there is a “1 in greater than 7.2 billion” chance the DNA might belong to another person, according to the court records. Such a scientific finding, which eliminates almost the entire world population outside of Matthew, is likely to be central to the criminal case against him.

The analysis was performed in late October, following Matthew’s indictment on several charges related to the Sept. 24, 2005 attack on a 26-year-old woman in Fairfax City, court records show.

The sample collected from the victim jibes with a description of the attack sources provided to The Washington Post. They said the woman vigorously fought her attacker and that she may have scratched his face during the encounter; they initially described the suspect as possibly having scratches. Skin cells and blood from a facial scratch can provide enough evidence for a DNA match.

Matthew, 32, of the Charlottesville area, has been charged with attempted capital murder, abduction with intent to defile and sexual penetration with an object in the case.

Authorities had previously said forensic evidence also linked the Fairfax City sexual assault to the disappearance of another college student, Morgan Harrington. Harrington disappeared after leaving a Metallica concert on the campus of the University of Virginia in October 2009. Her body was discovered months later on a farm southwest of Charlottesville.

Sources have told The Post that the cases were tied by DNA evidence.

All this said, Texasmom.  I keep wondering when they are going to charge him in Morgan's case, as well as any & all added charges in Hannah's case.  Especially if DNA links all three cases.  And the chance of it being him is pretty much a certainty. 

I also wonder, if he did have scratches on his face the next day in the 2005 case, are there any witnesses to that???  If so, I pray they come forward.  Support this woman who has to testify. 

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2014, 08:26:06 PM »

http://www.nbc29.com/story/27357530/police-shut-down-hannah-graham-tip-line

Police Shut Down Hannah Graham Tip Line

Posted: Nov 11, 2014 4:05 PM CST
Updated: Nov 11, 2014 4:36 PM CST

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va (WVIR) - The designated avenues for tips in the Hannah Graham case have been shutdown.

Police had setup a special phone number and email account for tips after the 18-year-old University of Virginia student disappeared in September. Tuesday Charlottesville police closed both the tip line and email address.

Police say approximately 5,000 tips have come in on the case.

Just because the designated lines are closed - doesn't mean authorities aren't still looking for any information regarding the case. If you have any information on the case, you can call Charlottesville police at 434-970-3280, Albemarle police at 434-296-5807 or Crime Stoppers at 434-977-4000.

Charlottesville Police Department Press Release:

The Charlottesville Police Department has shut down both the phone tip line and the e-mail, CPDTIPS; the special avenues of communication set up in regards to Hannah Graham's disappearance.

Any further information anyone wishes to pass along can be relayed directly to the Charlottesville Police Department at (434) 970-3280, the Albemarle County Police Department at (434) 296-5807 or Crime Stoppers at (434) 977-4000.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #222 on: November 12, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/coybarefoot/posts/10203211879073167

Coy Barefoot
6 hrs ·
*** EXCLUSIVE — BREAKING ***
Jesse Matthew is no longer in Charlottesville. I have confirmed that late last night Jesse Matthew was moved from the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail to the Adult Detention Center in Fairfax, Virginia, about two hours north. He will appear in court in person there on Friday morning before Judge Dennis Smith at the Status Hearing regarding the three felony charges he faces — related to a September 24, 2005 abduction, assault, and attempted murder. It is expected that Matthew will be returned to the Charlottesville jail at some point, though precisely when is not confirmed.

https://www.facebook.com/coybarefoot/posts/10203211879073167?comment_id=10203212136319598&offset=0&total_comments=22

Coy Barefoot Neal Augenstein has confirmed that Jesse Matthew was booked at the Fairfax Jail at 140a this morning.
5 hrs ·

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #223 on: November 12, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »

November 12, 2014 Tweets
https://twitter.com/NBC29

NBC29 @NBC29  ·  51m 51 minutes ago
CONT: Jim Camblos tells @HenryGraff he is not sure if mental health evaluation for #JesseMatthew will be addressed.

NBC29 @NBC29  ·  52m 52 minutes ago
UPDATE: #JesseMatthew attorney tells @HenryGraff expects judge to be assigned 2005 rape case, trial and motion hearings dates set on Friday.

NBC29 @NBC29  ·  8h 8 hours ago
JUST IN: @HenryGraff reports #JesseMatthew transferred to Fairfax Jail for Friday hearing. Transferred at 1:40 AM.

NBC29 @NBC29  ·  10h 10 hours ago
The #HannahGraham tip line is closed. We've got the details on how police want to hear from you about the case now on your #NewsatSunrise.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #224 on: November 12, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »

http://inthecapital.streetwise.co/2014/11/12/watch-charlottesville-police-chief-tim-longos-hannah-graham-interview/
Charlottesville Police Chief Tim Longo Opened Up About Hannah Graham Case [Video]
November 12, 2014

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #225 on: November 12, 2014, 05:29:14 PM »

November 12, 2014 Tweets
https://twitter.com/NBC29

NBC29 @NBC29  ·  22m 22 minutes ago
JUST IN: @HenryGraff has obtained new booking photo for #JesseMatthew from Fairfax County Adult Detention Center.

Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #226 on: November 13, 2014, 10:32:59 AM »

Thank you for the info, Muffy Bee.  I have to say in a few pictures, he looks angry to me.  This is one of those pictures. 

On a much lighter note, the recent interview with Chief Longo talking about the initial search for Hannah then the sad discovery of her, how he spoke so highly of her family.  I think sometimes we all do not realize - sure people are doing their "every day" jobs, but sometimes, those jobs are difficult - perhaps painful.  IMHO this man is outstanding Police Officer and a credit to those he serves as wel as the community in which he serves.  I can honestly say, I wish all Police Officers were so devoted and such a credit to their communities

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #227 on: November 13, 2014, 01:29:42 PM »

Thank you for the info, Muffy Bee.  I have to say in a few pictures, he looks angry to me.  This is one of those pictures. 

On a much lighter note, the recent interview with Chief Longo talking about the initial search for Hannah then the sad discovery of her, how he spoke so highly of her family.  I think sometimes we all do not realize - sure people are doing their "every day" jobs, but sometimes, those jobs are difficult - perhaps painful.  IMHO this man is outstanding Police Officer and a credit to those he serves as wel as the community in which he serves.  I can honestly say, I wish all Police Officers were so devoted and such a credit to their communities

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #228 on: November 14, 2014, 09:12:19 AM »

Hope I am going to be able to post this folks or - should I say paste it......

Carol Costello @CarolCNN     
#BREAKING: #JesseMatthew, the suspect in murder of UVA student #HannahGraham, pleads NOT GUILTY to charges in 2005 sexual assault case @CNN
6:25 a.m. Fri, Nov 14 

Sickening!

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #229 on: November 14, 2014, 09:37:04 AM »

Carol Costello @CarolCNN     
#BREAKING: #JesseMatthew, the suspect in murder of UVA student #HannahGraham, pleads NOT GUILTY to charges in 2005 sexual assault case @CNN

Sickening!

Sickening, but not surprising.    When the plea is "not guilty", the prosecution must show evidence and make the case, right?  Hopefully, there is enough evidence, along with the victim's testimony to make the case and the jury gets it right!    Keep him behind bars while research goes on for more cases and Morgan and Hannah's cases are continued to be developed for trials.  Keep Jesse Matthew off the streets for the safety of all women.  JMHO

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #230 on: November 14, 2014, 09:39:32 AM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/march-trial-date-set-for-jesse-matthew-in-fairfax-city-sexual-assault-case/2014/11/14/949109ec-6c05-11e4-9fb4-a622dae742a2_story.html
March trial date set for Jesse Matthew in Fairfax City sexual assault case
November 14, 2014

Jesse Matthew pleaded not guilty to all charges in a sexual assault case in Fairfax City. A trial date is set for March 9.

Friday’s court hearing marked Matthew’s first in-court appearance in the Fairfax case.

Matthew has been charged with attempted capital murder, abduction with intent to defile and sexual penetration with an object in an attack on a 26-year-old woman in Fairfax City on the night of Sept. 24, 2005.

Authorities allege that Matthew grabbed the woman from behind as she was walking home from a supermarket, carried her to a nearby park and then violently attacked her. They said he fled after being startled by someone passing by.
He is also believed to have been involved in the disappearance of Graham from Charlottesville in September. In that case, Matthew has been charged with abduction with intent to defile. Nearly six weeks after Graham went missing, authorities found her remains on an abandoned property outside Charlottesville.

Matthew has his first appearance in the Graham case Dec. 4.

In the Fairfax County case, Matthew’s defense team did not seek a psychiatric evaluation of Matthew — a move that was seen as a shift in tactics from earlier strategies of his defense.

The move signals that Matthew’s mental state would play a prominent role in his trial and possibly that his attorneys could pursue a defense that he was insane at the time of the crime or is incompetent to be tried.

Fairfax County assistant public defender Robert Franks did not explain the change, but he said the request for an evaluation would not be submitted. James Camblos, the attorney that signaled his desire for the evaluation, did not return a call for comment.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #231 on: November 14, 2014, 09:42:24 AM »

November 15, 2014 Tweets
https://twitter.com/nbcwashington

NBCWashington @nbcwashington  ·  24m 24 minutes ago
MORE: #JesseMatthew pleaded not guilty to attempted capital murder and two other felonies. http://bit.ly/1zoLToi 

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #232 on: November 14, 2014, 11:34:14 AM »

Carol Costello @CarolCNN     

Sickening!

Sickening, but not surprising.    When the plea is "not guilty", the prosecution must show evidence and make the case, right?  Hopefully, there is enough evidence, along with the victim's testimony to make the case and the jury gets it right!    Keep him behind bars while research goes on for more cases and Morgan and Hannah's cases are continued to be developed for trials.  Keep Jesse Matthew off the streets for the safety of all women.  JMHO

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #233 on: November 15, 2014, 09:46:55 AM »

Suspect in the Hannah Graham & Morgan Harrington Case Jesse Matthew Pleads Not Guilty to the 2005 Sexual Assault of “RG” in Fairfax County, VA

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/11/15/suspect-in-the-hannah-graham-morgan-harrington-case-jesse-matthew-pleads-not-guilty-to-the-2005-sexual-assault-of-rg-in-fairfax-county-va/

Linkage of the three crimes against victims: Hannah Graham, Morgan Harrington and “RG”.

Most recently, DNA recovered from underneath the fingernail of the sexual assault victim linked Matthew to the abduction of University of Virginia student, Hannah Graham.

Graham was last seen on Sept. 13 on surveillance video walking with Matthew in downtown Charlottesville. In October, remains found on an abandoned property on Old Lynchburg Road in Albemarle County were identified as those of Graham.

According to officials, forensic evidence linked to the Fairfax rape also links Matthew to the disappearance of Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington.

Harrington was last seen leaving the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville in 2009. Her remains were found in Albemarle County in January 2010. Harrington was from Roanoke County.

This scumbag can't be put to death soon enough. If there is any good news in any of this, it appears that Virginia uses "Old Sparky" as a backup.

Va. lawmakers expected to set electric chair as backup when lethal injection unavailable

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-lawmakers-expected-to-set-electric-chair-as-backup-when-lethal-injection-unavailable/2014/02/04/abc09330-8ac9-11e3-916e-e01534b1e132_story.html
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #234 on: November 15, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/ParkSlaybaugh/posts/542613869216973

Parker Slaybaugh 8News
21 hrs ·
BREAKING: Orange Co. officials will hold a news conference Sunday at 8 a.m to update Alexis Murphy and Samantha Clarke cases. SPREAD THIS

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #235 on: November 15, 2014, 11:36:12 AM »

Suspect in the Hannah Graham & Morgan Harrington Case Jesse Matthew Pleads Not Guilty to the 2005 Sexual Assault of “RG” in Fairfax County, VA

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/11/15/suspect-in-the-hannah-graham-morgan-harrington-case-jesse-matthew-pleads-not-guilty-to-the-2005-sexual-assault-of-rg-in-fairfax-county-va/

Linkage of the three crimes against victims: Hannah Graham, Morgan Harrington and “RG”.

Most recently, DNA recovered from underneath the fingernail of the sexual assault victim linked Matthew to the abduction of University of Virginia student, Hannah Graham.

Graham was last seen on Sept. 13 on surveillance video walking with Matthew in downtown Charlottesville. In October, remains found on an abandoned property on Old Lynchburg Road in Albemarle County were identified as those of Graham.

According to officials, forensic evidence linked to the Fairfax rape also links Matthew to the disappearance of Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington.

Harrington was last seen leaving the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville in 2009. Her remains were found in Albemarle County in January 2010. Harrington was from Roanoke County.

This scumbag can't be put to death soon enough. If there is any good news in any of this, it appears that Virginia uses "Old Sparky" as a backup.

Va. lawmakers expected to set electric chair as backup when lethal injection unavailable

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-lawmakers-expected-to-set-electric-chair-as-backup-when-lethal-injection-unavailable/2014/02/04/abc09330-8ac9-11e3-916e-e01534b1e132_story.html

When he's convicted on capital murder charges (and I have no doubt that he will be) Old Sparky it should be!

Besides...ya know those lethal injections of late have been known to go wrong and make the convict actually suffer some before they die too.  Either way, I want this POS to suffer!

He's pleading not guilty only to delay the inevitable.  My thoughts and prayers are with the victim, God give her the strength and courage to relive this nightmare and put this monster where he belongs for good...and make a death sentence inevitable in Charlottesville!

jmo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/suspect-in-u-va-case-linked-to-earlier-assault-via-dna-from-victims-fingernail/2014/11/06/e1efd010-65d9-11e4-bb14-4cfea1e742d5_story.html

The man accused of abducting University of Virginia student Hannah Graham has been linked to a 2005 sexual assault in Fairfax County via DNA evidence collected from one of the victim’s fingernails, according to court records.

The Virginia Department of Forensic Science’s comparison of DNA taken from Jesse L. Matthew Jr. and the sample taken from the woman at the time of the attack concluded that there is a “1 in greater than 7.2 billion” chance the DNA might belong to another person, according to the court records. Such a scientific finding, which eliminates almost the entire world population outside of Matthew, is likely to be central to the criminal case against him.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/2014/10/27/hannah-graham-suspect-jesse-matthew-fairfax-court-video-appearance/18018931/

Forensic evidence links Jesse Matthew to the 2009 disappearance of Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington in Charlottesville, which had previously been linked to the Fairfax sexual assault, officials said. The death penalty is not available on the Fairfax charges because the victim is still alive.

Legal experts say there is one good reason to try Jesse Matthew in Fairfax first. If it's a strong case which secures a conviction, it will "enhance the punishment in Charlottesville," says longtime criminal defense attorney Robert Whitestone.

An attempted murder conviction in Fairfax would increase the likelihood that Matthew might get the death penalty in Charlottesville, if he's charged with a capital offense.

I think we all know he will be...

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #236 on: November 15, 2014, 01:46:51 PM »

When recent searches for Samantha Clark and the upcoming search for Alexis Murphy are considered ... I suspect that maybe BOTH cases may be connected?  Could it be that Randy Taylor is talking.

Janet

+++++

THE 2010 DISAPPEARANCE OF SAMANTHA CLARKE

UPDATE: Samantha Clarke's Mother Speaks Out as Investigators Again Search Lake
September 11, 2014

Almost four years to the day 19-year-old Samantha Ann Clarke went missing, crews from across Virginia searched a Greene County lake looking for any clues in her disappearance. Clarke's mother says at this point in the case, she wants answers not only from police, but from the man she believes knows where her daughter is. ....

On Thursday, a dozen police forces scoured the lake in Greene Acres subdivision, looking for anything that may tell them what happened to Samantha.

Tinder was surprised when CBS19 told her about Thursday's search, and says over the past four years her daughter's case has not received the attention it deserves.

Tinder thinks there is one person who can help find her daughter; Randy Allen Taylor. Taylor was convicted of killing Nelson County teen Alexis Murphy, and was named a person of interest when Samantha first disappeared.

"Randy Taylor come and picked her up. He called here six times," Tinder said. "Why would you call my daughter six times if you ain't trying to lead her on or try to talk her to come out the house, or try to do something?"

"I know Randy Taylor knows where she is. I don't care what anyone says, I know in my heart where she is," said Tinder

<snipped>

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/Investigators-Again-Searching-Lake-for-Missing-Orange-Co-Woman-274760811.html

THE 2013 DISAPPEARANCE OF ALEXIS MURPHY

UPDATED: Alexis Murphy's Family Reacts to New Search for Missing Teen
October 21, 2014

Officials in Nelson County have announced they are planning a new search for missing teen Alexis Murphy.

Murphy went missing from her Nelson County home in August 2013, and Randy Taylor was convicted of her murder in May 2014. Her body has never been found.

Detective Billy Mays of the Nelson County Sheriff's Office released this statement following the announcement:

"Our goal has always been to bring Alexis home, and to bring closure to the family."

"They've never stopped searching," Alexis Murphy's aunt, Trina Murphy said Tuesday night, after being informed about the upcoming search.

Trina Murphy and our media partners at Blue Ridge Life Magazine say the search will take place in Orange County in November.

"I'm confident that they have a reason for searching in Orange and we'll just go with that," Trina Murphy said.

Trina says she does not think Jesse Matthew, the man accused of abducting Hannah Graham, had anything to do with the death of Alexis.

"Even if it came out tomorrow that Jesse Matthew was somehow involved," she said, "it doesn't make Randy Taylor any less guilty. All the DNA evidence was found in his trailer. Her blood was on his shirt.
"

<snipped>

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/279954152.html

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #237 on: November 15, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »

Unless LE is keeping it confidential ... it appears that Jesse Matthew ... the suspect in the Hannah Graham case ... is not connected to the disappearance of Alexis Murphy or Samantha Clarke ... only Randy Taylor.

Janet

+++++

New search launched for Murphy & Clarke near Randy Taylor's old home
Posted: Nov 14, 2014 3:22 PM PST
Updated: Nov 14, 2014 3:28 PM PST

ORANGE COUNTY (WSLS 10) - A new search for Alexis Murphy and Samantha Clarke will be near where Randy Taylor used to live in Orange County.

Taylor was also convicted of Alexis Murphy's abduction and murder in May of 2014.

The search will include more than 150 searchers covering more than 200 acres. The Town of Orange Police Chief James Fenwick says Taylor is still a 'person of interest' in Samantha Clarke's disappearance.

Police have said Taylor was one of the last people Clarke associated with before she was never seen again.

"For us, Randy Taylor is a key person. He is one of a group of people who Samantha Clarke associated with prior to her disappearance," Chief Fenwick said,

The area being searched Sunday has been searched before. Cheif Fenwick says four years after Clarke disappeared, they are re-examining information and hitting this area with a different approach and new technology.

However, according to Alexis Murphy's family, they were not notified about Orange Police talking to the media on Sunday.

In fact, they had been told it was going to be a private search.

"I think if I were to mention Samantha Clarke without mentioning Randy Taylor and Alexis Murphy, then that would be a disservice not only to Ms. Murphy's family, but to the case in general," Chief Fenwick said.

<snipped>

http://www.wfla.com/story/27390304/search-for-murphy-clarke-near-randy-taylors-old-home

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #238 on: November 15, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »

Interesting read imo.

https://www.facebook.com/coybarefoot/posts/10203221430951958

Coy Barefoot
Yesterday at 7:52am ·

BREAKING THIS MORNING. The following statement was released this morning at 607a by Albemarle County Sheriff Chip Harding, the man who pioneered the creation of Virginia's DNA Databank.

Friday. November 14, 2014

Hannah Graham – Another Unnecessary Victim

I have been advocating for several years that Virginia should expand our
DNA Databank to include all criminal convictions. Currently our databank mostly includes convicted felons. Every day we wait to expand the Virginia’s DNA Databank, we risk one of our loved ones falling victim to an attack from a violent predator that could have been prevented and a person wrongly convicted sits in prison.

New York State Governor Cuomo recently championed the initiative and it allowed his state to be the first to have an all criminal conviction databank. He pointed out that: In the 5 ½ years since petit larceny-the pettiest of crimes-has been a DNA eligible offense in N.Y. State , convicted offender samples have helped solve 965 crimes, including 51 murders, 222 sexual assaults, 177 robberies and 407 burglaries. DNA samples taken from individuals convicted of second-degree criminal trespass have been linked to 30 homicides, 110 sexual assaults and 121 burglaries, among other crimes.

On average, offenders linked to crimes in N.Y. State had three prior non-qualifying convictions before finally being convicted of an offense that required a DNA sample to be taken. My observation over my past 40 years in Virginia’s Justice System is the same. One can check the record of almost any Virginia serial predator and see the same –some examples are:

* Hannah Graham would have never met her accused abductor Jesse Matthew if his DNA had been collected when he was convicted of criminal trespass in Charlottesville in August of 2010. His DNA would have generated a “hit” at that time in the databank to the 2005 sexual assault in Fairfax. (Washington Post reports lab certificate on file in Fairfax Court) If convicted of that attack he most likely would have been in a jail cell at the time Hannah was walking on the Charlottesville Downtown mall.

* One of Charlottesville’s most notorious serial rapists in the past 30 years is Shannon Malnowski. Malnowski had a felony assault reduced to a misdemeanor in 1992 and a felony breaking and entering reduced to a trespass charge in 1994. In 1996 he raped a UVA student who was out jogging and in 1997 a 78 yr old professor’s wife in broad daylight in some bushes near the Culbreath Theater. In 2000 a student was raped on the Charlottesville High School track. Malnowski became a suspect and we obtained his DNA. It “hit” in all three cases. He was sentenced to life plus 50 years. If a DNA sample had been taken for the misdemeanors, he would have been caught after the first rape and the latter two rapes would have never occurred.

* If Nathan Washington had contributed a DNA profile when convicted of a misdemeanor in 1998, he never would have been the notorious “Charlottesville Serial Rapist” who raped at least 7 women over a 10 year period .His DNA would have “hit” from a rape in 1997 of a woman in Waynesboro. I would not have had to go into one of his victim’s homes and see blood spattered over three walls where he had beaten and raped her for hours. His 6 Charlottesville rapes would have never occurred.

* The famous “East Coast Rapist” who had 18 known victims. Half those victims would have been saved on Nov. 11, 2003 when, Aaron Thomas was convicted of a misdemeanor Assault and Battery. The 3 teenagers out on Halloween night in Dale City, VA would never have been assaulted.

I hope that all Virginian’s will consider contacting their representatives in the General Assembly and advocate for databank expansion. The time is now to allow DNA technology better protect our loved ones.

J.E. Chip Harding
Sheriff, Albemarle County, Virginia
###

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #239 on: November 15, 2014, 03:51:03 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/coybarefoot/posts/10203181714239065?comment_id=10203181765120337&offset=50&total_comments=75

Coy Barefoot As I said on CNN last week, we must all take a moment to recognize the courage of the Fairfax victim- after having been raped and nearly beaten to death, she voluntarily subjected herself to a rape kit test: she was scraped, swabbed, poked, prodded, and her entire body photographed. It's a grueling, invasive process that can take up to 4 hours. But she did it. Too often, victims are silenced by fear and shame. But that did not happen here. And the evidence she brought forward may in fact be the evidence that convicts a serial killer.
November 6 at 2:13pm

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.