March 29, 2024, 02:01:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jessica Chambers, 19 Courtland, Miss. Burned Alive 12/6/14  (Read 132189 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2015, 09:42:57 PM »

Read an article this morning about Jessica.  Sure doesn't appear that local police can/will solve this case.  In a small town it should be easy to solve this.  I don't put much stock in their law enforcement.

Me either.   

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2015, 10:21:22 PM »

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2015/12/15/gang-offensive-underway-north-miss/77349156/

FBI: 17 indicted in Panola County gang offensive

Therese Apel, The Clarion-Ledger 11:39 p.m. CST December 15, 2015

Seventeen people have been charged in north Mississippi as a part of a major operation targeting suspected gang members called "Operation Bite Back," officials said.

FBI Special Agent in Charge Don Alway announced the offensive early Tuesday morning.

District Attorney John Champion said the roundup started around 4 a.m. in Oxford. FBI agents targeted suspected members of the Black Gangster Disciples, Vice Lords, and Sipp Mob street gangs after gathering intelligence on their suspected criminal activity from local law enforcement and community members weary of the violence in their neighborhoods.

Those charged are:

Lyndon Mosely Jr., 24, distribution of crack cocaine
Edward House, 39, distribution of powder cocaine and distribution of crack cocaine
Joshua Cannon, 25, cocaine possession
Anand Vijay Shegog, 39, sale of a controlled substance
Mondarious Armstead, 23, public drunk; receiving stolen property; possession, sale, transfer of stole firearm
Gregory B. Andrews, 22, distribution of powder cocaine (x2)
D’lirian Case, 18, attempt to pass counterfeit and passing counterfeit
Janicholas Vankeith Scott, 34, sale of cocaine
James Mosely Jr., 26, robbery, sale of cocaine, presenting false cocaine in state
George Todd, 23, attempt to pass counterfeit
Dedrick Ivery, 39, possession of controlled substance; child abuse; firearm enhancement; felon in possession of firearm in proximity to school/church
Antonio Johnson, 28, possession controlled substance with intent
Xavier Hooks, 25, possession gun by felon; possession of a stolen gun
Kevin Windfield, 37, sale of controlled substance
Elgin Lamar, 38, possession of controlled substance (x2); possession of controlled substance with intent, child endangerment (x2)
Deon Smith, 20, passing counterfeit
Stanley Coleman, 40, sale of cocaine (x4)

According to MDOC records, Gregory Andrews and Janicholas Scott were both on parole for previous drug charges. The Clarion-Ledger has reached out to MDOC to see whether any of the others have records with the state.

SWAT teams from the Mississippi Highway Patrol and Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics joined three FBI SWAT teams to make the arrests, Pack said. He said some of the suspects were picked up by local authorities on federal writs, six were previously indicted on state charges stemming from the operation and the remaining nine were picked up Tuesday morning. Some have since bonded out.

A team of investigators from the Panola County Sheriff's Department, Mississippi Bureau of Investigation, the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, and the U.S. attorney's office are still digging into Chambers' death. A marked lack of street chatter has made the case a tough one to crack, authorities have said, causing much of the investigation to hinge on data collection.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2015, 02:30:19 PM »

http://www.people.com/article/jessica-chambers-investigators-learn-more-about-mystery-hour

Who Was Tragic Teen Jessica Chambers? And New Details About the 'Mystery Hour' Before Her Death

By Greg Hanlon @GregHanlon

updated 12/23/2015 AT 02:35 PM EST

•originally published 12/23/2015 AT 01:25 PM EST

Mississippi authorities investigating last year's brutal murder of 19-year-old Jessica Chambers say they know who she was with during the so-called "mystery hour" before she showed up at Herron Road in Courtland, where she was found burned alive in her car last December 6.

Investigators have established an in-depth timeline for Jessica's last day alive, but have been seeking more information about what she was doing between 6:30 until 7:32 p.m., when she arrived on Herron Road.

"That hour holds the key to solving our case," District Attorney John Champion tells PEOPLE. Now that authorities believe they know who Jessica was with, Champion tells PEOPLE, "I'm cautiously optimistic."

After a passing motorist called 911, first responders discovered Chambers clinging to life with wounds covering 98 percent of her body. A source at the scene tells PEOPLE that when first responders found Chambers barely clinging to life, she whispered one word: a man's name, either, "Eric" or "Derrick." Champion tells PEOPLE he has heard that detail, but he can't confirm its validity.

Though she graduated from high school with A's and B's and held down a job, Chambers was running with a rough crowd prior to her death, an ex-boyfriend tells PEOPLE.

"I think she was making friends with the wrong people, with drug dealers," ex-boyfriend Bryan Rudd tells PEOPLE.

But he adds that "she did nothing that was bad to get herself burnt alive."

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2016, 08:38:23 PM »

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2016/02/23/arrest-made-jessica-chambers-murder-case/80825562/

Quinton Tellis indicted in Jessica Chambers homicide

Therese Apel, The Clarion-Ledger 7:23 p.m. CST February 23, 2016

(Photo: Ouachita Parish Sheriff)

A Panola County native suspected in another homicide has been indicted in the Dec. 2014 burning death of Courtland teen Jessica Chambers.

Quinton Tellis, 27, originally of Courtland, was indicted on capital murder charges by a special grand jury in Panola County as he sat in the Ouachita Parish Jail in Monroe, Louisiana, where he is being held on charges connected to the August 2015 death of a University of Louisiana Monroe exchange student.

Tellis is believed to have been the last person to have been with Chambers the night she was killed. The two allegedly had a relationship in the weeks leading up to her death, officials said.

While the Chambers and Tellis were eight years apart in age, they both went to South Panola High School and both grew up in the same neighborhood.

A press conference in Panola County is planned for 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Tellis was living in Monroe with new wife when he was arrested by Monroe Police Department and charged with crimes connected to the stabbing death of Meing-Chen Hsiao, 34, of Taiwan. Local media reports say she had been missing for more than a week when her body was found August 8, 2015, stabbed to death in her apartment.

Police said Hsiao's homicide appeared to be very personal.

Tellis has not been charged with her murder, but according to jail records, he has been charged with three counts of unauthorized use of an access card and one count of possession of marijuana with intent to distribute.

The police report says Tellis allegedly used a Chase Bank debit card belonging to Hsiao on August 7 at around 11 p.m. On that transaction, he charged $.07. When it was used again on August 18, it was allegedly used at 10:35 p.m. for $500 and again at 3:04 a.m. for another $500. Police said there were ATM surveillance photos of Tellis using the card, and after being Mirandized, he allegedly admitted to using the debit card on all three occasions.

A search warrant was served on his house and authorities found 1/4 pound of marijuana in a bedroom. The report says the drugs were packaged for sale.

According to Tellis' Facebook page, he married his fiancee on or around Aug. 8, on or around the day Hsiao's body was found.

(more details of his extensive criminal record at the link)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 08:40:15 PM by texasmom » Logged

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2016, 07:01:32 AM »

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/nation-now/suspect-indicted-in-jessica-chambers-burning-death/54163467
Suspect indicted in Jessica Chambers burning death
February 23, 2016

Quinton Tellis, 27, originally of Courtland, was indicted on capital murder charges by a special grand jury in Panola County as he sat in the Ouachita Parish Jail in Monroe, La., where he is being held on charges connected to the August 2015 death of a University of Louisiana Monroe exchange student.

Tellis is believed to have been the last person to have been with Chambers the night she was killed.

A news conference concerning the case scheduled for Wednesday morning at the Panola County Sheriff's Department in Batesville, according to District Attorney John Champion and Sheriff Dennis Darby.

More than 14 months ago, authorities discovered the blonde ex-cheerleader from Courtland, who had been set on fire. She was found on the road with burns over most of her body. She died a few hours later at a hospital in Memphis. Officials said thermal injury killed her.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2016, 07:01:55 AM »

Thanks texasmom for the up date. So many sick people in this world. Justice for Jessica

GOD BLESS AMERICA
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2016, 06:15:37 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhtUlKM0fsM

Press Conference Jessica Chambers

Published on Feb 24, 2016
District Attorney John Champion and Sheriff Dennis Darby speaking at press conference February 23, 2016, at the David M. Bryan Justice Complex announcing a grand jury indictment of Quinton Verdell Tellis, 27, charged with the murder of Jessica Chambers.
The Panolian video by Emily Williams

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JhtUlKM0fsM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/JhtUlKM0fsM</a>

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2016, 06:23:35 AM »

The video I posted is not the complete Press Conference, I heard some of it live and this was an important announcement imo.

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/31309030/courtland-man-indicted-in-burning-death-of-jessica-chambers

Courtland man indicted in burning death of Jessica Chambers
Posted: Wednesday, February 24th 2016, 9:30 pm CST
Updated: Wednesday, February 24th 2016, 11:27 pm CST
By Roslyn Anderson, Weekend Anchor

The District Attorney would not release details about the case but wanted to dispel one rumor.

He said an accelerant was NOT poured down Chambers's throat the night she and her car were found burning on a rural road near Courtland.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2016, 07:15:15 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/24/suspect-reportedly-indicted-in-burning-death-mississippi-teen-jessica-chambers.html

video

Man charged in burning death of Mississippi teen Jessica Chambers
Published February 24, 2016

A Mississippi man already suspected in a murder has been charged in the December 2014 burning death of a 19-year-old woman.

District Attorney John Champion announced Wednesday that Quinton Verdell Tellis, 27, has been charged with capital murder in the death of 19-year-old Jessica Chambers. She was found along a road, badly burned, on Dec. 6, 2014. Her vehicle was on fire. She suffered burns over 98 percent of her body and died hours later at a hospital in Memphis, Tennessee.

"This has been the most unusual case that I've ever dealt with," Champion said. "Obviously, the nature of how she died was very brutal, very horrendous."

Champion told reporters that Tellis and Chambers knew each other and were friends, but he would not describe a motive. Champion did say he believed it was a "personal crime" and not related to drug or gang activity. The prosecutor also said he would not reveal to reporters what Chambers had told firefighters who had arrived at the scene.

The horrific circumstances surrounding the young woman's death garnered national attention and cast light on concerns about violent crime in rural towns like Courtland, where Chambers and Tellis lived.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2016, 06:57:01 PM »

i was starting to wonder, if the LE were going to get the the guy
on the daily mail and heavy news blogs, says QVT is married
about the time of his arrest.
----------------------------------

'The prison system failed us': Father of 19-year-old 'burned alive by repeat offender' says 'killer' should never have been allowed on the streets
By DAILYMAIL.COM REPORTERS
PUBLISHED: 15:28 EST, 24 February 2016 | UPDATED: 08:56 EST, 25 February 2016
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3462691/Father-19-year-old-woman-burned-alive-says-knew-accused-killer-2-weeks-repeat-offender-never-street.html

more imgs
Quinton Tellis: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
Published 10:42 pm EST, February 23, 2016 Updated 4:29 pm EST, February 25, 2016   
http://heavy.com/news/2016/02/quinton-verdell-tellis-jessica-chambers-murder-suspect-arrested-photos-relationship-wife-death-louisiana-mississippi-record/

timeline map
https://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/jessica-timeline-12-6-14.jpg?w=960&h=876

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2016, 08:29:30 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/JUSTICEforJESSICALANE/photos/a.1568555553381590.1073741829.1551813758389103/1714976482072829/?type=3&theater

Justice For Jessica
1 hr ·

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:37:45 PM by texasmom » Logged

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2016, 10:42:37 PM »

There are more people like her than you would imagine, thankful to see her prosecuted!   

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/33735674/ms-woman-going-to-prison-for-attempting-to-profit-off-burning-death-of-jessica-chambers

MS woman going to prison for attempting to profit off burning death of Jessica Chambers
Thursday, November 17th 2016, 10:46 am CST
Thursday, November 17th 2016, 2:03 pm CST
Posted by Mary Grace Brantley, Digital Content DirectorCONNECT

Posey Source: WLBT archives

Chambers Source: WLBT archives

UNION, MS (Mississippi News Now) -
A Union County woman is going to prison for attempting to profit off the murder of Panola County teenager, Jessica Chambers, by using the murder as a way to fraudulently collect donations.

41-year-old Janet Lee Posey pleaded guilty Monday to one count of false pretense.  Posey was sentenced to 10 years in prison, with three of those years suspended, leaving seven years to serve.

She was ordered to serve three years of post-release supervision and pay $1,433 in court costs.

Posey was arrested in December 2014 by investigators with the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division and the Union County Sheriff's Office following an investigation that revealed Posey had started a fraudulent internet scam after the murder of 19-year-old Chambers. The investigation revealed that Posey attempted to collect donations for the family without their consent or knowledge.

“This defendant posed as a family member of the victim and created a Facebook page in an attempt to convince people to donate money to her, where she intended to take it for her own personal use,” Attorney General Hood said. “Her acts are reprehensible. Fortunately, we caught her before she raised any money. We thank Judge Gregory for his strong sentence, and I would like to thank Sheriff Jimmy Edwards and his deputies for their dedication and assistance on this case."

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2016, 07:32:35 PM »

Story from this summer:

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2016/07/15/suspect-jessica-chambers-case-enters-not-guilty-plea/87104268/

Suspect in Jessica Chambers case enters not guilty plea
Therese Apel , The Clarion-Ledger 8:10 p.m. CDT July 15, 2016

HERNANDO -- A man accused of committing the notorious burning death of a Mississippi teen in 2014 entered a not guilty plea in court Friday.

Quinton Tellis, 27, is charged with capital murder, accused of setting Jessica Chambers, 19, on fire on a rural road in Courtland. She was found with burns over 98 percent of her body, officials said.

Tellis entered a DeSoto County courtroom in his orange jumpsuit with his attorneys Darla Palmer and Alton Peterson. He nodded to members of his family, who were seated on the front row on the left side of the court, across from Chambers' family. When he entered, Jessica's stepmother Debbie Chambers put her arm around her father, Ben Chambers, but Chambers' family was otherwise stoic.

He entered his plea through Palmer and was escorted back out of the courtroom.

Authorities said they expected Tellis to plead not guilty, as he has not so far admitted to killing Chambers.

Quinton Tellis walks into the DeSoto County Courthouse to enter a plea on Friday, July 15, 2016 in Hernando, Miss. Tellis has pleaded not guilty in the 2014 burning death of a Mississippi woman. Panola County District Attorney John Champion said charging Tellis ended a lengthy investigation into the grisly burning death of the 19-year-old, who died in a Memphis, Tenn., hospital hours after being found near her burned-out vehicle on a road not far from her home.  Rogelio V. Solis, AP

More pictures at the link. 

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2016, 07:37:44 PM »

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2016/10/18/trial-date-set-jessica-chambers-burning-death-case/92359030/

Trial date set in Jessica Chambers burning death case
Therese Apel , The Clarion-Ledger 5:31 p.m. CDT October 18, 2016

Quinton Tellis pleaded not guilty in the 2014 burning death of a Jessica Chambers in the DeSoto County Courthouse on Friday, July 15, 2016 in Hernando, Miss.

The man accused in the December 2014 burning death of Courtland teenager Jessica Chambers will stand trial June 19.

Quinton Tellis, 28, is charged with capital murder, accused of setting Chambers, 19, on fire on Herron Road in Courtland. She was found by first responders with burns over 98 percent of her body, officials said. She lived long enough to be airlifted to a hospital in Memphis, where she died early the next morning.

Tellis, originally of Courtland, was indicted on capital murder charges by a special grand jury in Panola County in February as he sat in the Ouachita Parish Jail in Monroe, Louisiana, where he was being held on charges connected to the stabbing death of Meing-Chen Hsiao, 34, of Taiwan.

Officials returned Tellis to Mississippi in June. He was charged with murder in Hsiao's death in July.

Chambers was with Tellis the night she died, by his own admission, officials said. The two allegedly had a relationship in the weeks leading up to her death.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2016, 11:34:30 AM »

TY TXMOM for this. I'll be watching for a conviction so I can move this to solved.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2017, 11:27:39 PM »

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2017/02/25/tellis-indicted-year-therese-apel/98275524/

Tellis: Indicted for a year in Jessica Chambers slaying
Therese Apel , The Clarion-Ledger Published 8:59 p.m. CT Feb. 25, 2017 | Updated 10 hours ago

For a year, Quinton Tellis has lived in the DeSoto County Jail for crimes he is accused of in Panola County.

Authorities won't say why he's being kept there, but the Panola County Jail might not be a comfortable place for a guy whose alleged crimes have opened up a Pandora's box of arrests and investigations still ongoing throughout his home county into drugs and gang activity.

There's also the fact Jessica Chambers, the woman he's accused of killing, is the daughter of a man who works for the Panola County Sheriff's Department.

Meanwhile, DeSoto County officials say they have had no incidents involving Tellis in the year he's been with them, despite Mississippi Department of Corrections records that show Tellis in past incarcerations was written up for various violations, including refusing to work, threatening statements toward staff, disruptive behavior and abusive language.

Chambers, 19, was found on Herron Road in Courtland a little after 8 p.m. on Dec. 6, 2014, walking away from her burning vehicle with burns over 98 percent of her body. She was flown to a Memphis hospital, where she died just hours later. Coroner Gracie Gulledge said the cause of the young woman's death was thermal injury.

Authorities worked leads and chased the killer for 14 months after Chambers' death, ultimately arresting Tellis. It was an investigation that brought in local, state and federal agencies on personal, forensic and technological levels. A team of investigators from the Panola County Sheriff's Department, Mississippi Bureau of Investigation, the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms and the U.S. attorney's office dug into Chambers' death. A marked lack of street chatter, possibly attributable to Tellis' solitary personality, made the case tougher to crack, causing much of the investigation to hinge on data collection.

On Feb. 23, 2016, a news conference was held to announce Tellis' indictment. It was an unforeseen development for many of the amateur sleuths who had begun to follow the case online, as Tellis' name had not come up publicly during the investigation.

Initially, speculation swirled around whether the homicide could have been gang-related, and local gang leaders came out of the woodwork to assure authorities and the Chambers family they had nothing to do with it. Tellis appears to be a validated member of the Insane Vice Lords street gang, but officials have said Chambers' death is most likely related to the fact she and Tellis were linked romantically, and not to any gang-related motivation.

But the task at hand stands. Tellis faces trial on Oct. 9, three days after he turns 28 years old, and three years to the day since his last release from MDOC custody.

"One hundred percent," Darby said of his confidence that Tellis will be convicted. "We have remarkable, fascinating testimony to present. This is the most difficult case I’ve ever been associated with, and you get a satisfaction in knowing that looking back, this was an excellent investigation."

Tellis' attorney, Alton Peterson, has not responded to calls seeking comment.

Chambers' parents, Ben Chambers and Lisa Daugherty, once somewhat vocal, now keep their opinions, hopes and fears to themselves.

Despite their silence, visits to their social media pages show Jessica is never far from their minds. They marked her 22nd birthday on Feb. 2, as they had grieved the two previous ones that she was not there to celebrate with them. They spent another Christmas without her. Christmas was her favorite holiday, Daugherty had previously said.

After the indictment, they stopped talking to the media, saying it's best for the investigation. District Attorney John Champion agrees.

"Right now we’re just trying to make sure all the things are done the way they’re supposed to be done. We're not trying to put any more information out there than isn't already out there," Champion said.

The prosecution has met all of its discovery requirements, Champion said. He's ready to go forward whenever the time comes.

It's likely a jury will have to be drawn from outside Panola County, officials said, as it's probably impossible to find anyone who's not familiar in one way or another with the case. After all, Courtland is a town of a little less than 500. Panola County is about 34,000. And the case has been the subject of not only local and state coverage, but several national news programs.

What isn't clear at this point is where Tellis will ultimately end up if he's convicted. He's charged with murder in Louisiana in the death of Meing-Chen Hsaio, 34, of Taiwan. But he hasn't been indicted in Hsaio's death, which court documents say was slow and painful. She was allegedly tortured to death for her credit card PIN numbers.

The homicide allegedly took place on July 29, and her body was found Aug. 8. As authorities were working the homicide scene, Tellis was celebrating his wedding to girlfriend Chikita Jackson.

He pleaded guilty to using Hsaio's credit cards on May 9 and was sentenced as a habitual offender in Louisiana. A timeline on any further indictment or trial is not clear, though one thing is.

"We're taking him first," Champion said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2017, 07:22:09 PM »

https://www.panolian.com/2017/08/11/tellis-trial/

Tellis Trial

By Editor | August 11, 2017 | 0
Tellis trial set for Oct. 10 with jury from Pike County

By John Howell

The long anticipated trial for the man accused in the 2014 murder of Jessica Chambers is scheduled to begin Tuesday, October 10 in Batesville in front of jurors chosen the day before in Pike County, according to District Attorney John Champion.

Quinton Verdell Tellis of Courtland was indicted for capital murder in February, 2016 following a 14-month investigation by local, state and federal authorities. Tellis was charged with setting fire to Chambers in her car near Courtland on December 6, 2014.

Tellis, accompanied by his attorney, Darla Palmer of Jackson, met with Circuit Judge Gerald Chatham and Champion for a status conference in the Batesville courthouse Tuesday. Champion said that 12 Pike County residents plus a couple of alternates will be chosen as jurors during voir dire in McComb Monday, October 9. Jurors will be brought to Batesville by bus that evening for the trial.

The jury will be sequestered for the duration of the trial which is expected to last up to 14 days, according to the district attorney.

Panola County Circuit Clerk Melissa Meek-Phelps, who will be responsible for much of juror logistics, said that she has been scrambling to secure enough Batesville motel rooms for the jurors. The trial date overlaps an Ole Miss home game weekend with Vanderbilt which normally fills Batesville hotels and motels to capacity. The circuit clerk said that she expects the trial to cost Panola County at least $18,000 in lodging expense alone.

The search for Chambers’ killer turned into the most extensive investigation in Panola County’s history, eventually developing into a task force that included the FBI, MBI, ATF, Miss. Crime Lab, U.S. Attorney, State Coroner’s office, U.S. Marshal’s Service, the Panola County Sheriff’s Dept., Batesville Police Dept. along with Champion’s 17th Judicial District Attorney office.

Investigators painstakingly pieced together the forensic evidence and data, according to Champion during a press conference last year when Tellis’ indictment was announced. The evidence led back to Tellis, who had first been interviewed by investigators in December, 2014.

“This has been the most unusual case that I’ve ever dealt with,” Champion told reporters at that Feb., 2016 press conference.

Chambers’ murder and the long investigation brought international attention to the crime, interest that is expected to be rekindled by Tellis’ October trial.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2017, 10:09:01 PM »

http://www.fox13memphis.com/top-stories/security-plans-put-in-place-for-jessica-chambers-murder-trial/612073320

Security plans put in place for Jessica Chambers murder trial
by: Tom Dees Updated: Sep 20, 2017 - 7:20 PM

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - FOX13 News has learned the capital murder trial of Quinton Tellis, the man charged in the fiery death of Jessica Chambers, is set to go to trial Tuesday, October 10th.

Major Barry Thompson, the lead investigator in the case, is the man in charge of security.

FOX13 spoke one-on-one with the cases' lead investigator, Major Barrry Thompson, who's also in charge of security for the trial.

" I have a plan that I don't want anyone that might try to do something to halter this trial or this jury to think we are going to do the same thing every day to where they can plan something," Thompson said.

Thompson told FOX13 he is going to be using other law enforcement resources available to secure the courthouse.

"We are going to use our off duty officers and plain clothes officers from the investigative division also Jimmy Mccleod with the city of Batesville is going to donate some people for outside perimeter." Thompson said.

The trial we found out could be a lengthy one lasting from 8-14 days I found out through court documents the state as Subpoenaed some 40 witnesses.

"Of course as a primary witness in the case I will be with primary witnesses for most of the time in preparation. And with the sheriff I will be heading up Security, " Thompson said.

The jury we found out is being picked out of Pike County, Mississippi. Thompson would not discuss how they would be moved to the courthouse. The only thing certain in his security plan has built in changes.

"So if they see something on Monday or Tuesday they won't see it on Wednesday or Thursday," Thompson said.

Major Barry Thompson told FOX13 News he is trying to do as little as possible to interrupt the flow of business traffic in and out of the courthouse.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2017, 10:10:37 AM »

I'm still hoping and praying there will be justice for Jessica.   an angelic monkey 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2017, 08:53:49 PM »

Finally...a trial!   

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2017/10/09/jury-selection-jessica-chambers-case-day-1/746423001/

Jury selected in Jessica Chambers capital murder trial
Published 4:06 p.m. CT Oct. 9, 2017 | Updated 5:01 p.m. CT Oct. 9, 2017

A jury has been seated in the capital murder case of a teenager brutally burned to death in Panola County almost three years ago.

Quinton Tellis is accused in the death of 19-year-old Jessica Chambers of Courtland and faces the death penalty if convicted.

Of the seven men and five women selected, six are black and six are white.

Pike County has a similar demographic to Panola, and jurors had to be pulled from outside the north Mississippi area because of pre-trial publicity. Court officials said the jurors were to be sent to Panola County Monday night.

There, in a trial expected to last two weeks, they will decide Tellis' fate. The trial could go through the weekend should the judge so decide.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.