March 28, 2024, 02:39:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jessica Chambers, 19 Courtland, Miss. Burned Alive 12/6/14  (Read 132152 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2017, 04:43:42 PM »

Monday, October 16, 2017 -- Tweets

https://twitter.com/bchapman_WREG3
Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 · 3m3 minutes ago 

Replying to @bchapman_WREG3

Jurors couldn't reach unanimous decision & mistrial is declared. Getting reaction from family now. #JessicaChambers
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2017, 04:48:37 PM »

Craziest mess I've ever seen in my life, in a courtroom anyway!   

At least they actually POLLED the jury after the original "verdict".  OMG, I thought I was going to have a heart attack!   

God bless and comfort the families, this was a long day.   

Justice for Jessica!   an angelic monkey

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2017, 04:52:00 PM »

https://twitter.com/MelissaFPayne/status/920039751368839169

Melissa Faith Payne‏ @MelissaFPayne  2 minutes ago

Prosecutor in Jessica Chambers murder trial: We ABSOLUTELY will retry this case.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2017, 04:57:04 PM »

At least they actually POLLED the jury after the original "verdict".  OMG, I thought I was going to have a heart attack!   

What a crazy and emotional day.  Still waiting for Justice for Jessica...
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2017, 05:01:07 PM »

Monday, October 16, 2017 -- Tweets
https://twitter.com/bchapman_WREG3

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 · 12m12 minutes ago 
He says they knew from day one the "Eric/Derek" was going to be an issue, but says they had very strong cell phone data. #JessicaChambers

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 · 14m14 minutes ago 
DA says they definitely plan on retrying this case. #JessicaChambers

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2017, 05:14:30 PM »

Thanks for keeping us posted!   

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2017, 05:46:04 PM »

You're welcome, texasmom! 
Thank you for bringing this case to our attention years ago and keeping us updated. 

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2017, 05:52:34 PM »

Videos at the link

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2017/10/16/jessica-chambers-trial-jury-appears-confused-cant-agree-verdict/767413001/

JUDGE DECLARES MISTRIAL In Jessica Chambers case
Posted 5:07 am, October 16, 2017, by WREG Staff and Bridget Chapman, Updated at 05:11PM, October 16, 2017

BATESVILLE, Miss. — After about 10 hours of deliberation, the family of Jessica Chambers is no closer to closure.

Monday, the Panola County courtroom could only be characterized as confused as the murder trial wrapped up.

Quinton Tellis is charged with capital murder, accused of dousing Chambers with gasoline then setting her on fire, leaving her to die in Courtland, Mississippi back in 2014.

The trial troubles started when the jury entered the courtroom and the foreman answered the judge that they had reached a unanimous verdict.

But one juror spoke up: “We all didn’t agree on it!”

The judge was forced to push the jury back to deliberations three times because they couldn’t reach a unanimous verdict.

The judge declared a mistrial, saying the jury was “hopelessly deadlocked,” after dismissing them and thanking them for serving.

District Attorney John Champion later said the state plans on trying the case again.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2017, 09:43:55 PM »

You're welcome, texasmom! 
Thank you for bringing this case to our attention years ago and keeping us updated. 

You're welcome!   

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2017, 10:49:52 PM »

https://www.boston.com/news/national-news/2017/10/16/very-unusual-mistrial-in-trial-in-womans-burning-death

Very unusual’ mistrial in trial in Mississippi woman’s burning death 
By ADRIAN SAINZ AP,
October 16, 2017

BATESVILLE, Miss. (AP) — The jury in the tense murder trial of a Mississippi man charged with setting a 19-year-old friend on fire and leaving her to die handed a bailiff a note: They have reached a verdict.

What followed was confusion.

Before the decision was read, Judge Gerald Chatham asked if the 12-person panel had unanimously agreed on a verdict. A male juror spoke the shocking words: “We didn’t all agree.”

That started a chain of events that led to a hung jury and a mistrial in the murder trial of Quinton Tellis and sparked a wave of emotions for his family and the relatives of Jessica Chambers. For the Chambers family, it ended up being pain and frustration. For relatives of Tellis, it was relief and joy.

After the verdict disagreement, the judge asked the panel to continue deliberating. Shortly afterward, a court clerk read what was believed to be the final verdict: Not guilty.

Tellis’ relatives smiled. Chambers’ family cried.

Then, the judge polled the jury. Seven for guilty, five for not guilty.

Spectators looked at each other in dismay. How could the verdict be not guilty, if seven people said guilty?

The jury had been instructed by the judge that, under the capital murder charge, all 12 of them must agree on a guilty verdict. But the instruction did not say that the entire panel of seven blacks and five whites also must unanimously agree on a not guilty verdict.

With corrected instructions in hand, it didn’t take long for the jury to tell the judge that it was hopelessly deadlocked. A mistrial was declared.

Tellis faces another murder indictment in Louisiana, where he’s accused in the torture death of Meing-Chen Hsiao, a 34-year-old Taiwanese graduate student at the University of Louisiana at Monroe. No trial date has been set in that case.
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2017, 01:37:50 PM »

grace-land thanks for keeping us updated
i felt mistrial when judge had to instruct 2x

JMO, i think they have the right man, and someone/s
else knows too,just wont come forward,or cant,or have to

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2017, 08:07:50 PM »

grace-land thanks for keeping us updated
i felt mistrial when judge had to instruct 2x

JMO, i think they have the right man, and someone/s
else knows too,just wont come forward,or cant,or have to

You're welcome, cw618.
I thought that there would be a mistrial after the repeated instructions, too.  However, it was surprising that they didn't take more time to continue the deliberation about the evidence in order to come to a verdict.  jmo

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2017, 08:18:07 PM »

Good article, imo

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2017/10/17/attorneys-discuss-strategies-next-jessica-chambers-murder-trial/772747001/

Attorneys discuss strategies for the next step in Jessica Chambers murder trial
Published 5:15 p.m. CT Oct. 17, 2017 | Updated 6:16 p.m. CT Oct. 17, 2017

Neither side could call it a win or a loss, but Monday's mistrial in the Jessica Chambers' homicide case left everyone at what felt like square one.

Panola County District Attorney John Champion says the accused, Quinton Verdell Tellis, will face trial again.

"I firmly believe in my case. I have no trepidation, no concerns about going forward with it again, and we’ll have to see what happens," he said. "As far as a bounce back strategy, we’ll go forward with the exact same strategy we did with the grand jury and in the first trial."

Tellis' attorney, Alton Peterson, says he's also ready to get back in front of a jury when the time comes. Like Champion, he said he has been confident in the foundation of his case from the beginning. He said there are facts in his client's favor that won't change, such as that 10 first responders testified Chambers' dying declaration is that someone named "Eric" set her on fire.

The case was emotionally exhausting not just for the families of Chambers and Tellis, but for those on both sides of the court case. Both indicated that they won't jump right back into it. They'll take a cool-down period to regroup before setting anything in stone.

"We’re going to wait a couple of weeks until we can sit down as a team and kinda go back over everything and have some time for reflection," Champion said.

As far as whether the case will definitely see a courtroom round two, Peterson said the decision to consider any deviation from the current plan to go forward will be up to Tellis.

"I never say what will or won’t happen, but that decision is up to Quinton. We’re going to advise him as best we can of what the possibilities are if he does this as opposed to that, and if he says, 'I’m not pleading guilty to something I didn’t do,' I don’t have a problem standing in front of a jury and doing this again," Peterson said. "His decision is the only one that really matters."

Champion said the case could go back to trial in the summer, but it's too early to tell.

"We've got to get with the judge and the defense lawyers to see what their schedules are like," Champion said
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »

http://www.fox13memphis.com/top-stories/jessica-chambers-mother-speaks-out-following-mistrial/626087377

Jessica Chambers' mother speaks out following mistrial
by: Tom Dees Updated: Oct 17, 2017 - 6:49 PM

FOX13's Tom Dees spoke with Lisa Chambers who said she will not give up fighting for Jessica. "I won't give up on justice for Jessica. Jessica will have her justice," Chambers said. "[It was] total chaos for both families. That was just the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I just don't know. To me, it was a hard day for both families."
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2017, 09:56:56 PM »

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2017/10/24/quinton-tellis-mississippi-custody/106963710/

Tellis likely to remain in Mississippi until retrial
Published 1:09 p.m. CT Oct. 24, 2017 | Updated 4:33 p.m. CT Oct. 24, 2017

Quinton Tellis, who spent more than a year in the DeSoto County Jail before his capital murder trial for the burning death of Jessica Chambers, is back in Panola County custody.

District Atty. John Champion said Tuesday Tellis will most likely stay there unless Louisiana decides it wants him back for court action in that state.

"He's actually on loan to us from Louisiana," Champion said. "If the Department of Corrections there says they want him back, then they'll come and get him and we'll get him back again. But I don't think that'll happen. I highly suspect he's going to stay here until we try him again."

A Pike County jury was unable to reach a verdict during Tellis' trial in Batesville that ended Oct. 16 in a mistrial. Champion said immediately afterward that he would definitely retry the case.

Champion said Tuesday his team will assemble next week to begin talking about things, but it will most likely be sometime in November before attorneys meet with the judge and begin to sort out the retrial process.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #155 on: January 18, 2018, 08:34:54 PM »

http://wreg.com/2018/01/18/retrial-in-jessica-chambers-case-to-begin-in-june/

Retrial in Jessica Chambers case to begin in June
Posted 12:48 pm, January 18, 2018, by Eryn Taylor, Updated at 12:50PM, January 18, 2018

BATESVILLE, Miss. — A new trial date has been set for the man accused of murdering Jessica Chambers back in 2014.

Quinton Tellis’ new trial is set to begin June 11.

Just last week District Attorney John Champion confirmed to WREG prosecutors are still seeking a capital murder charge in the case despite a jury being unable to reach a unanimous verdict several months ago.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2018, 10:12:22 PM »

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2018/05/08/quinton-tellis-retrial-set-september-jessica-chambers-case/589463002/

Quinton Tellis retrial set for September in burned Mississippi woman case
Published 6:51 a.m. CT May 8, 2018 | Updated 7:11 a.m. CT May 8, 2018

BATESVILLE, Miss. — Quinton Tellis' second trial for the death of Jessica Chambers will begin Sept. 24, though the location has not been determined.

District Attorney John Champion, who is leading the prosecution, said Monday Judge Gerald Chatham has yet to issue an order setting the venue.

Tellis, whose first trial in Batesville last October ended in a mistrial, is in the meantime serving a sentence on unrelated charges predating the Chambers case. Tellis is incarcerated at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman serving a five-year sentence for burglary larceny-unoccupied dwelling, according to Mississippi Department of Corrections records.

More: What caused a mistrial in the Jessica Chambers case?

"Originally it was June," Champion said of the new trial date, "but the defense lawyer had a conflict — he had another trial — so we had to move it to September."

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2018, 05:14:18 PM »

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2018/07/10/new-witnesses-jessica-chambers-case-prosecution-says/770775002/

New witnesses in Jessica Chambers case, prosecution says

Therese Apel, Mississippi Clarion Ledger Published 10:41 a.m. CT July 10, 2018 | Updated 12:50 p.m. CT July 10, 2018

Prosecutors in the burning death of 19-year-old Jessica Chambers have new evidence they believe plugs a previous hole in their case, and it might not have gone public if not for Monday's hearing.

Quinton Tellis has pleaded not guilty to capital murder in Chambers' slaying. Prosecutors believe Tellis had sex with Chambers before he set her and her car on fire and left her to die the night of Dec. 6, 2014, in Courtland in Panola County. She died at a hospital in Memphis.

Prosecutors said Monday that a witness has been found who allegedly gave Tellis a ride from an area close to where Chambers' car keys were found to Tellis' sister's home. Three additional witnesses connected to that information will also be introduced in the Tellis' retrial, officials said. The first trial ended in a mistrial after the jury deadlocked on a verdict.

That information could be key in filling in a blank regarding Tellis' whereabouts throughout the night Chambers died.

Assistant District Attorney Jay Hale argued at a hearing in the case Monday was that the prosecution had just turned over discovery on that information to the defense on June 28. On July 2, four days later, the defense filed motions to sanction District Attorney John Champion for prosecutorial misconduct, to have him and his team removed from the case, and to delay the trial from its scheduled date of Sept. 24.

Champion had spoken to Jalen Caudle, a possible witness who alleged he had information from Tellis. Caudle is also another client of Tellis defense attorney Dana Palmer, and Palmer said Champion should not have talked to Caudle without her present. Champion argued he was seeing Caudle as a witness in the Tellis case and had advised him they would not talk about his capital murder case.

Judge Gerald Chatham threw out the defense motions to continue the trial and remove the prosecution team, and said it was up to the Mississippi Bar rather than him to sanction a district attorney.

During Tellis' first trial, federal intelligence analyst Paul Rowlett detailed the movements of Tellis and Chambers through phone records and security video. The two had been parked in a driveway next to Tellis' home, and their phones were both inactive between 6:49 and 7:26. Within four minutes, Chambers' phone signal then shows up on Herron Road, where she was later burned alive.

At 7:42 p.m., Tellis' phone "woke up," and he used it to call Chambers and tell her he had a girlfriend coming over and he couldn't see her that night.

After that, Tellis called an out-of-state girlfriend to tell her he was walking to his sister's house to borrow her Tahoe. Investigators pointed out a cut-through trail from where Chambers was found on Herron Road to the subdivision in which Tellis' sister lives. Chambers' keys would later be found in a yard along that route.

That is where the witness is said to have picked Tellis up and taken him to his sister's house to borrow her car.

Tellis' cell data showed no activity again until 8 p.m., according to the prosecution. During that time, a vehicle could be seen on gas station video pulling into a storage shed where gasoline was stored, but the image of the vehicle was dark.

At 8 p.m., a vehicle matching the description of Tellis' sister's SUV could be seen on gas station video speeding toward Batesville. Tellis told investigators it "could be" him.

At 8:04 p.m., Chambers' phone made its last communications with a cell tower. Investigators say it shut off when it got too hot.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2018, 05:11:59 PM »

https://www.localmemphis.com/news/local-news/watch-live-court-hearing-in-jessica-chambers-murder-case/1291415124

Judge Finds D.A. Did Not Commit Misconduct In Jessica Chambers Murder Case
By:  Tish Clark 
Posted: Jul 09, 2018 09:15 AM CDT
Updated: Jul 10, 2018 11:36 AM CDT

SARDIS, Miss. (localmemphis.com) - A Panola County, Mississippi judge ruled Monday District Attorney John Champion will remain on the Jessica Chambers murder retrial set for September.

The defense claimed Champion committed prosecutorial misconduct and ethical violations when he met with one of the defense' clients.

John Champion took the stand to defend himself against those allegations.

Darla Palmer, the attorney for Quinton Tellis, wanted Champion thrown off the case.  The defense claimed that Champion pressured potential witness Jalen Caudle back in April. Caudle is accused of capital murder in an unrelated case, but he and Tellis met while in the DeSoto County Jail. Palmer is Caudle's attorney.

The affidavit accuses Champion of "guiding" Caudle to say that Tellis went by the nickname Eric, which was a key part of the first murder trial that ended in a mistrial.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2018, 07:31:37 PM »

https://wreg.com/2018/08/09/quinton-tellis-appeals-judges-ruling-clearing-d-a-john-champion/

Quinton Tellis appeals judge’s ruling clearing D.A. John Champion
Posted 4:51 am, August 9, 2018

JACKSON, Miss. — A man accused of killing a Mississippi woman by setting her on fire is appealing a judge’s ruling clearing a prosecutor of misconduct, saying the judge used the wrong legal standard.

Lawyers for Quinton Tellis on Thursday filed an appeal with the Mississippi Supreme Court asking justices to overrule a finding that Panola County District Attorney John Champion’s actions didn’t hurt Tellis’ case. Lawyer Darla Palmer argues in the filing that Circuit Judge Gerald Chatham asked the wrong question, and should have analyzed whether Champion broke rules against prosecutorial misconduct instead of declaring that the case could go forward because Tellis had suffered no harm.

“Defendant Tellis contends that he should not have been required by the court to show prejudice to him, individually, at this stage of trial,” Palmer wrote . “The court should have been weighing whether prosecutorial misconduct on the part of District Attorney Champion had somehow infringed on the standard of ensuring a fair and impartial trial for defendant Tellis and the administration of justice.”

Tellis is scheduled to be retried Sept. 24, but the trial could be delayed if the Supreme Court takes up the appeal.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.