March 28, 2024, 04:05:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drew Peterson Accused of Plot to Murder Prosecutor  (Read 38342 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 11:06:25 PM »

http://www.randolphcountyheraldtribune.com/article/20160119/NEWS/160119290

Judge denies defense motion, Peterson trial date confirmed
Posted Jan. 19, 2016 at 2:42 PM

The defense counsel in Drew Peterson’s murder-for-hire case has used its last timeout.

Back in court Tuesday for a case management hearing ahead of the scheduled Feb. 29 trial, Randolph County Circuit Court Judge Richard A. Brown denied a motion by the defense to continue the case once again.

“I don’t think we need a lot of time, but I don’t think it is realistic to say we will be ready to go to trial in a month,” said defense attorney Lucas Liefer, who told Brown he and the State were still exchanging discovery.

Brown stated that a special jury selection session had been scheduled for February for the case and the court has a busy March session upcoming.

“If you have to move cases aside to get ready for this, then do so,” Brown advised Liefer.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 12:18:05 AM »

http://www.randolphcountyheraldtribune.com/article/20160208/NEWS/160209456

Peterson trial pushed back to May
Posted Feb. 8, 2016 at 3:30 PM

After seemingly shutting the door last month on any more continuances in the Drew Peterson case, Randolph County Circuit Judge Richard A. Brown granted another one on Monday.

The new dates are May 20 for jury selection and May 23 for proceedings to begin. The trial was previously scheduled to begin with jury selection on Feb. 26 and proceedings beginning the following Monday.

“Certainly, I can speak on behalf of the State of Illinois that this would be the last one,” said Randolph County State’s Attorney Jeremy Walker, who is co-prosecuting Peterson’s murder-for-hire case with the Illinois Attorney General’s office.

The next case management hearing for Peterson has been scheduled for Feb. 29 at 1 p.m. at Randolph County Courthouse.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 08:35:59 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-drew-peterson-trial-jury-selection-met-20160515-story.html

Drew Peterson set to return to court for murder-for-hire trial
May 16, 2016, 6:36 PM

Nearly four years ago, Drew Peterson watched as potential jurors in a Joliet courtroom answered questions about their fitness to determine whether Peterson was guilty of killing his third wife.

Since then, Peterson has waged war on two fronts — the first to have his murder conviction tossed, and the second, authorities allege, to exact revenge on the prosecutor who led the effort to put him behind bars.

On Friday, jurors will again file into a courtroom, this time in the tiny Randolph County Courthouse in downstate Chester where Peterson is to stand trial on charges he attempted to find a hit man to kill Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 08:00:43 AM »

DREW PETERSON IS BACK ON TRIAL FOR ALLEGEDLY SOLICITING A HITMAN TO KILL THE PROSECUTOR WHO TRIED HIM FOR MURDER
May 19, 2016 by Amelia McDonell-Parry

http://crimefeed.com/2016/05/drew-peterson-back-trial-allegedly-soliciting-hitman-kill-prosecutor-tried-murder/

According to MSN, during his sentencing hearing for Savio’s murder in early-2013, Peterson used his opportunity to address the court to prattle on for 40 minutes about how the prosecution, and specifically Glasgow, had “conspired to railroad him.”

“Mr. Glasgow, all aspects of my life have been destroyed. Everything from my personal life to my professional life to my social life — all aspects have been destroyed,” said Peterson. “Never forget my face … never forget what you’ve done here,” he went on, demanding that Glasgow look him in the eyes.

Prosecutors now are prepared to argue that between September 2013 and December 2014, Peterson offered to pay a hitman to kill Glasgow, and with the help of an informant, they recorded him allegedly orchestrating the plan. Peterson’s attorneys have questioned the legality of those recordings, but were unsuccessful in getting them barred from being admitted as evidence.

The solicitation to murder trial isn’t the only legal battle Peterson is currently embroiled in. He’s in the middle of appealing his murder conviction with the Illinois Supreme Court, on the grounds that he was denied a fair trial because of court errors and poor representation by his defense counsel. His attorney appealing the murder conviction, Steven Greenberg, called both cases “a hot mess.”

Peterson is facing up to an additional 60 years in prison if he is convicted of solicitation to murder.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 09:27:43 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-drew-peterson-trial-20160523-story.html

Drew Peterson admitted killing missing wife, wanted prosecutor dead, inmate testifies
May 23, 2016, 7:51 PM

Inmate Antonio Smith said he was playing basketball in the prison yard in October 2013 at Menard Correctional Center when Drew Peterson approached him for a favor.

"He said he needed me to have someone kill James Glasgow," Smith told jurors Monday at the Randolph County Courthouse.

The solicitation-for-murder case is the latest legal proceeding pitting Peterson against his nemesis, Glasgow, the Will County state's attorney who successfully prosecuted the former Bolingbrook police officer for the 2004 murder of Peterson's third wife, Kathleen Savio.

Glasgow testified Monday that he took the alleged threat against his life seriously and it upset his family. But Smith, who worked with authorities to record some of his conversations with Peterson, was the star prosecution witness. During its opening statement, the defense dismissed the recordings as nonsensical and mere prison talk.

Smith told jurors how Peterson despised Glasgow and testified that Peterson admitted killing his missing wife, Stacy.

Nicknamed "Beast" because of his hulking size, Smith is serving 40 years for attempted murder, home invasion and robbery. The inmates struck up a friendship and often met in the same corner of the prison yard, where Peterson complained that Glasgow manipulated the court system to convict him, helped get his son fired from the Oak Brook Police Department and was trying to stop Peterson from collecting his police pension, Smith testified.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 08:22:37 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-drew-peterson-trial-met-20160524-story.html

Drew Peterson duped into thinking prosecutor would be killed, inmate testifies
May 24, 2016, 6:24 PM |CHESTER, Ill.

As Drew Peterson watched from across the prison yard, fellow inmate Antonio Smith picked up a phone and pretended to call his uncle.

That fake call, Smith testified, led Peterson to believe the plan had been set in motion to kill prosecutor James Glasgow. The subsequent conversation between the inmates was recorded by Smith, with the help of authorities, and played Tuesday in Randolph County court.

"I told him what you said, that it's the green light on, that basically go ahead and kill him," Smith says on the Nov. 15, 2014, recording. "That's what you wanted, right? ... It ain't no turning back."

"OK, all right. I'm in," Peterson responds. "From the first time we talked about it, there was no turning back. … If I get some booze in here, we'll celebrate that night."

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 08:33:52 PM »

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/jailhouse-recordings-up-next-as-drew-peterson-trial-continues/

05/24/2016, 06:56am
Drew Peterson believed prosecutor would ‘never leave me alone’

CHESTER, Ill. — Drew Peterson believed James Glasgow would “never leave me alone.”

And if the former Bolingbrook cop succeeded in overturning his 2012 murder conviction for the death of his third wife, Peterson suspected the Will County state’s attorney would “charge me with Stacy” — a reference to the unsolved 2007 disappearance of Peterson’s fourth wife.

“Stacy’s still alive,” Peterson said in a secretly recorded jailhouse conversation. “Running around out there.”

The comments were recorded by jailhouse snitch Antonio Smith, a 25-year-old inmate known as “Beast” who wore a wire on Peterson in an attempt to prove Peterson plotted to have Glasgow murdered in downtown Joliet. Peterson allegedly believed his appeal would be successful if Glasgow wasn’t alive to interfere.

The recorded comments from Peterson about his fourth wife contradict Smith’s testimony Monday that Peterson “admitted to me that he killed Stacy Peterson.” Smith even complained about it from the witness stand Tuesday, accusing Peterson of “changing his story to me.”

“It’s like playing with my intelligence,” Smith said.

Peterson’s attorney, Lucas Liefer, sought a mistrial Tuesday over media reports of Peterson’s alleged confession. Judge Richard A. Brown quickly denied his request.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2016, 10:15:23 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-drew-peterson-trial-day-3-met-20160525-story.html

Recordings: Photo staged by authorities raised Drew Peterson's suspicions
May 25, 2016, 8:00 PM |CHESTER, Ill.

Just days after Drew Peterson green-lighted the plan that prosecutors say was to kill the prosecutor who put him behind bars, Peterson pivoted to suspicion when his co-conspirator sent him a photo of Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow.

The photo, which showed Glasgow standing with a colleague outside his Joliet office, set off alarms for the former Bolingbrook police officer, according to recorded conversations played in court Wednesday.

"I mean, are you kidding me? I'm telling you, the Spidey senses were going off," Peterson says to fellow inmate Antonio Smith, the man he thought was his co-conspirator. "It looks like it was staged — 'Here, you stand here.'"

Peterson's instincts, captured on a Nov. 29, 2014, secret recording made by Smith with the help of authorities were not wrong. Law enforcement officers had staged the photo, then provided it to fellow Menard Correctional Center inmate Smith to share with Peterson.

In recordings played in court Wednesday, Peterson joked about how he knew authorities at the time of his murder trial were tapping his phone, and he used it to mislead them.

In a conversation from Nov. 16, 2014, Peterson talked about making authorities think Stacy Peterson was in Peoria.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 09:18:47 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-drew-peterson-trial-day-4-met-20160526-story.html

Drew Peterson attorneys target inconsistencies in informant's testimony 
May 26, 2016, 2:13 PM |CHESTER, Ill.

Drew Peterson's defense team hammered at inconsistencies in letters and statements made by Antonio Smith, the jailhouse informant turned star witness in the former Bolingbrook police officer's trial on charges he tried to arrange a hit on Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow.

On Thursday in Randolph County court, attorney Lucas Liefer pointed to more than a half-dozen jailhouse letters that Smith, 25, wrote to a former cellmate about their plans to leverage his willingness to wear a wire on Peterson to obtain early releases from prison and thousands in cash from federal authorities.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 10:55:12 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-drew-peterson-trial-week-one-met-20160527-story.html

Drew Peterson defense rests after inmates testify that informant is untruthful 
May 27, 2016, 2:22 PM |CHESTER, Ill.

The defense for Drew Peterson rested its case Friday after three inmates testified that the star witness in the murder-for-hire trial is an untruthful scam artist.

"He wasn't truthful," Jacob Bohannon said of Antonio "Beast" Smith, who wore a wire for authorities that allegedly captured Peterson's attempts to arrange a hit on his nemesis, Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow.

Peterson, who elected not to testify, is being tried on charges of solicitation of murder and solicitation of murder for hire. Closing arguments in the case are scheduled for Tuesday.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2016, 01:49:27 PM »

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/closing-arguments-begin-in-drew-peterson-murder-for-hire-trial/

Chicago News 05/31/2016, 10:26am
Drew Peterson guilty in murder-for-hire trial

CHESTER, Ill. — Former Bolingbrook cop Drew Peterson, already in prison for killing his third wife, was found guilty Tuesday of trying to hire a hit man to kill the prosecutor who had helped put him away.

As the verdict was read, Peterson sat and listened with his head resting on his left hand.

Peterson was found guilty on both counts — one with a mandatory sentence of at least 20 years, the other at least 15.

The jury had reached that verdict after deliberating less than an hour — so brief the judge was still at lunch when word came that they had reached a decision.

During closing arguments Tuesday morning, the prosecutor — pointing his finger like a dagger at Peterson — had told jurors to “find this man guilty.”

The former Bolingbrook cop was accused of trying to hire a hit man to kill Will County State’s Attorney James Glasgow while Peterson was locked up at Menard Correctional Center on the banks of the Mississippi River.

“A prosecutor deserves to go home at night and not worry about getting shot in the head because I did my job,” Randolph County State’s Attorney Jeremy Walker told the jury at the end of closing arguments.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2016, 01:56:40 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-drew-peterson-trial-closings-met-20160531-story.html

Drew Peterson found guilty of trying to have prosecutor killed 
May 31, 2016, 1:20 PM

CHESTER, Ill. — Drew Peterson was found guilty Tuesday of trying to hire a hit man to kill the prosecutor who put him behind bars for murder.

The jury deliberated for about an hour before finding Peterson guilty of solicitation of murder for hire and solicitation of murder. The charges carry a prison sentence of up to 60 years.

Peterson sat hunched over, his head leaning on his left hand with his elbow on the defense table as the verdict was read by the judge. Peterson showed no visible reaction to the verdict. As Peterson left the courtroom, he glanced at Cassandra Cales — the sister of Peterson's missing wife, Stacy Peterson — and murmured something unintelligible.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2016, 06:55:57 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-drew-peterson-sentencing-met-0728-20160728-story.html

Drew Peterson will have chance to speak out in court again Friday 
July 28, 2016, 5:04 AM

Drew Peterson delivered a rambling, crying, 40-minute rant before his murder case sentencing in 2013. On Friday, he will have the chance to speak out in court again — if he chooses.

The 62-year-old former Bolingbrook police officer is expected to be sentenced Friday on his conviction in May for a plot to kill the prosecutor who put him behind bars for the murder of his third wife.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 10:24:25 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-drew-peterson-sentencing-met-20160729-story.html

Drew Peterson gets 40 extra years for plot to kill prosecutor 
July 29, 2016, 6:51 PM  |CHESTER, Ill.

As Drew Peterson wrapped up his 25-minute speech in court Friday, he turned in his chair and spoke directly to the prosecutor he tried to have killed.

"And Jim Glasgow, there was never any intent to have you killed," he said in a matter-of-fact tone, as prosecutors objected.

"That's all right," the former Bolingbrook police sergeant said, leaning back into his chair. "I'm done."

Moments later, Randolph County Judge Richard Brown sentenced Peterson to 40 years in prison.

Peterson, who faced 20 to 60 years, showed no reaction as Brown handed down the sentence. As he left the courtroom, Peterson said something quietly to Cassandra Cales, the sister of Peterson's missing fourth wife, Stacy.

Cales, who was seated in the gallery, responded to Peterson: "You killed Stacy."

Peterson started his plot to kill Glasgow soon after he began serving his sentence for the 2004 murder of Kathleen Savio.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 10:39:22 PM »

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 08:26:17 AM »

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.