April 19, 2024, 06:54:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Spock" Leonard Nimoy -- Hospitalized For Severe Chest Pains Dies at 83  (Read 9737 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: February 24, 2015, 05:26:37 AM »

http://www.epictimes.com/2015/02/leonard-nimoy-rushed-to-hospital-after-severe-chest-pains/

Star Trek actor Leonard Nimoy has been rushed to the hospital after experiencing severe chest pains. After a 911 call, the legendary star was transported to UCLA Medical Center last week. No word yet on his current condition…
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:08:42 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 05:28:15 AM »

My fav ever!! "Live long and prosper..."
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:09:00 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 04:11:36 AM »

OMG OMG OMG My male hero!!!!!!!!!!! GONE  

William Shatner Co-starred in 'Star Trek' with Leonard Nimoy

"I loved him like a brother. We will all miss his humor, his talent, and his capacity to love."

-William Shatner

http://www.whosay.com/l/FQvadxk

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 04:16:12 AM »

Leonard Nimoy, Spock of ‘Star Trek,’ Dies at 83

By VIRGINIA HEFFERNAN FEB. 27, 2015

Leonard Nimoy, the sonorous, gaunt-faced actor who won a worshipful global following as Mr. Spock, the resolutely logical human-alien first officer of the Starship Enterprise in the television and movie juggernaut “Star Trek,” died on Friday morning at his home in the Bel Air section of Los Angeles. He was 83.

His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed his death, saying the cause was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Mr. Nimoy announced last year that he had the disease, attributing it to years of smoking, a habit he had given up three decades earlier. He had been hospitalized earlier in the week.
  more

Mr. Nimoy, who was teaching Method acting at his own studio when he was cast in the original “Star Trek” television series in the mid-1960s, relished playing outsiders, and he developed what he later admitted was a mystical identification with Spock, the lone alien on the starship’s bridge.

Yet he also acknowledged ambivalence about being tethered to the character, expressing it most plainly in the titles of two autobiographies: “I Am Not Spock,” published in 1977, and “I Am Spock,” published in 1995.

In the first, he wrote, “In Spock, I finally found the best of both worlds: to be widely accepted in public approval and yet be able to continue to play the insulated alien through the Vulcan character.”

“Star Trek,” which had its premiere on NBC on Sept. 8, 1966, made Mr. Nimoy a star. Gene Roddenberry, the creator of the franchise, called him “the conscience of ‘Star Trek’ ” — an often earnest, sometimes campy show that employed the distant future (as well as some special effects that appear primitive by today’s standards) to take on social issues of the 1960s.

His stardom would endure. Though the series was canceled after three seasons because of low ratings, a cultlike following — the conference-holding, costume-wearing Trekkies, or Trekkers (the designation Mr. Nimoy preferred) — coalesced soon after “Star Trek” went into syndication.

The fans’ devotion only deepened when “Star Trek” was spun off into an animated show, various new series and an uneven parade of movies starring much of the original television cast, including — besides Mr. Nimoy — William Shatner (as Captain Kirk), DeForest Kelley (Dr. McCoy), George Takei (the helmsman, Sulu), James Doohan (the chief engineer, Scott), Nichelle Nichols (the chief communications officer, Uhura) and Walter Koenig (the navigator, Chekov).

When the director J. J. Abrams revived the “Star Trek” film franchise in 2009, with an all-new cast including Zachary Quinto as Spock, he included a cameo part for Mr. Nimoy, as an older version of the same character. Mr. Nimoy also appeared in the 2013 follow-up, “Star Trek Into Darkness.”

Continue reading the main story

His zeal to entertain and enlighten reached beyond “Star Trek” and crossed genres. He had a starring role in the dramatic television series “Mission: Impossible” and frequently performed onstage, notably as Tevye in “Fiddler on the Roof.” His poetry was voluminous, and he published books of his photography.
  MUCH MORE

In 2001 he voiced the king of Atlantis in the Disney animated movie “Atlantis: The Lost Empire,” and in 2005 he furnished voice-overs for the computer game Civilization IV. More recently, he had a recurring role on the science-fiction series “Fringe” and was heard, as the voice of Spock, in an episode of the hit sitcom “The Big Bang Theory.”

Mr. Nimoy was an active supporter of the arts as well. The Thalia, a venerable movie theater on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, now a multi-use hall that is part of Symphony Space, was renamed the Leonard Nimoy Thalia in 2002.

He also found his voice as a writer. Besides his autobiographies, he published “A Lifetime of Love: Poems on the Passages of Life” in 2002. Typical of Mr. Nimoy’s simple free verse are these lines: “In my heart/Is the seed of the tree/Which will be me.”

In later years, he rediscovered his Jewish heritage, and in 1991 he produced and starred in “Never Forget,” a television movie based on the story of a Holocaust survivor who sued a neo-Nazi organization of Holocaust deniers.

In 2002, having illustrated his books of poetry with his photographs, Mr. Nimoy published “Shekhina,” a book devoted to photography with a Jewish theme, that of the feminine aspect of God. His black-and-white photographs of nude and seminude women struck some Orthodox Jewish leaders as heretical, but Mr. Nimoy asserted that his work was consistent with the teachings of the kabbalah.

His religious upbringing also influenced the characterization of Spock. The character’s split-fingered salute, he often explained, had been his idea: He based it on the kohanic blessing, a manual approximation of the Hebrew letter shin, which is the first letter in Shaddai, one of the Hebrew names for God.

“To this day, I sense Vulcan speech patterns, Vulcan social attitudes and even Vulcan patterns of logic and emotional suppression in my behavior,” Mr. Nimoy wrote years after the original series ended.

But that wasn’t such a bad thing, he discovered. “Given the choice,” he wrote, “if I had to be someone else, I would be Spock.”

Correction: February 27, 2015

An earlier version of this obituary, using information from Antioch College, misstated the name of an institution that awarded Mr. Nimoy an honorary doctorate. It was Antioch University, not Antioch College.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/television/leonard-nimoy-spock-of-star-trek-dies-at-83.html?_r=0

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 02:23:25 PM »

Rest in peace.  You will be missed. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 02:26:12 PM »

http://tasteofcountry.com/leonard-nimoy-johnny-cash-walk-the-line/
Remember When Leonard Nimoy Recorded a Johnny Cash Song?

When Leonard Nimoy passed away on Friday morning (Feb. 27), he left behind a vast legacy as an actor and director. But the entertainer was significantly lesser-known for a brief stint as a country singer.
Nimoy shot to fame playing Spock, the famously logical Vulcan on Star Trek, which ran from 1966-1969 and has aired endlessly in reruns ever since. His visibility from the show convinced Dot Records to offer the actor a recording contract, which resulted in the release of his first album, Leonard Nimoy Presents Mr. Spock’s Music From Outer Space, in 1967.
That proved successful enough to spawn a string of follow-up albums, including 1970′s The New World of Leonard Nimoy. For that project Nimoy boldly went where he had not gone before, branching out for a country cover of Johnny Cash‘s “I Walk the Line.” Other aspects of the album also leaned toward a country sound; the project also featured a cover of “Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love to Town,” as well as a Nimoy original titled “The Sun Will Rise.” The album continued in the vein of Nimoy’s previous efforts, which leaned toward songs about hope and the human condition.
Nimoy’s rendition of “I Walk the Line” also appeared on a compilation album titled Highly Illogical in 1993.
His forays into singing are now mostly remembered as an interesting footnote to a career that included television, film, poetry, books, photography and more. In addition to countless acting appearances both in and out of Star Trek, Nimoy also directed such notable films as The Good Mother and Three Men and a Baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9NSpAdGxgU#t=111 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 02:37:48 PM »

http://theboot.com/leonard-nimoy-johnny-cash-i-walk-the-line/

Frazer Harrison, Getty Images

Director and actor Leonard Nimoy passed away Friday morning (Feb. 27). He was best known for playing Mr. Spock in Star Trek, but during his lifetime, Nimoy also recorded five albums, one of which included a Johnny Cash cover.
Nimoy’s first album, Leonard Nimoy Presents Mr. Spock’s Music From Outer Space, was released in 1967, but it wasn’t until his fifth album, 1970′s The New World of Leonard Nimoy, that he shared his cover of the Man in Black’s “I Walk the Line.”
“Charles Grean of Dot Records had arranged with the studio to do an album of space music based on music from Star Trek, and he has a teenage daughter who’s a fan of the show and a fan of Mr. Spock. She said, ‘Well, if you’re going to do an album of music from Star Trek, then Mr. Spock should be on the album.’ So Dot contacted me and asked me if I would be interested in either speaking or singing on the record. I said I was very interested in doing both,” Nimoy once explained of how his musical career began. “That was the first album we did … It was very well-received and successful enough that Dot then approached me and asked me to sign a long-term contract.”
Nimoy’s version of “I Walk the Line” was also included on a 1993 compilation album, Highly Illogical.
“I Walk the Line” was Cash’s first No. 1 song on Billboard’s Hot Country Singles chart; it also reached the Top 20 on Billboard’s Hot 100. Originally recorded at Sun Studio in 1956, “I Walk the Line” was re-recorded four times during Cash’s career.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.