March 28, 2024, 11:44:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laura McComb Her Children Andrew (6) & Leighton (4) Missing in Wimberly,TX 3id'd  (Read 24174 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »

so sad 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 08:43:38 AM »

Missing Texas Mom Laura McComb's Body Identified

http://www.people.com/article/body-identified-laura-mccomb-texas-floods

One of two bodies recovered last week from wreckage in flood-ravaged Texas has been identified as that of Laura McComb, a mother of two who had been missing since May 23.

The 34-year-old and her husband Jonathan, her son Andrew, 7, and daughter Leighton, 4, were swept into the flood waters over Memorial Day weekend when the Wimberley, Texas, vacation home in which they were staying was washed into the Blanco River.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 08:48:07 AM »

I really can't imagine the depth of pain and sorrow Jonathan McComb must be enduring.

Irish Monkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 11:03:47 AM »

Unreal.  I'm praying that he finds peace at some point.

"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."  ~ Maggie Kuhn
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 07:59:53 AM »

The search for four year old Leighton and others still missing continues.  I hold hope her remains can be recovered.  In the mean time, the town, agencies and volunteers from all over continue their work.

http://kxan.com/2015/06/04/wimberley-hs-grads-cancel-senior-trip-to-help-flood-victims/
Wimberley HS grads cancel senior trip to help flood victims
June 4, 2015

WIMBERLEY, Texas (KXAN) — Going through a pile of debris isn’t how Wimberley High School graduates pictured their senior class trip.

“We’re all together,” said graduate Austin Mireles, “we are just doing stuff a little differently than how we planned.”

The Class of 2015 ended up cancelling their senior trip to Fiesta Texas in order to help with relief efforts after massive flooding along the Blanco River left several people dead.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2015, 04:13:24 PM »

http://kxan.com/2015/06/05/families-of-missing-dead-in-wimberley-give-thanks-want-help/

Families of missing, dead in Wimberley give thanks, want help
Chris Sadeghi   By Chris Sadeghi Published: June 5, 2015, 1:32 pm Updated: June 5, 2015, 10:21 pm

WIMBERLEY, Texas (KXAN) — Relatives representing the three families of those left missing or dead in the Wimberley floodwaters expressed their gratitude for the outpouring of resources and support while continuing to ask for more search and rescue help. Professionals and volunteers alike are taking part in a massive search operation to find the remaining three people still missing.

The search effort has received an emotional and moral boost from survivor Jonathan McComb.

“Obviously, he cannot walk around and clear piles, but he has been up at the church the last couple of days,” said McComb’s brother Justin. Physically, Jonathan is able to walk and move around freely according to his brother and is also as upbeat as one can be given the circumstances.

“He has had a chance to go out and meet with local authorities to put a face with the search effort and to keep them going and going,” said Justin.

Jonathan’s daughter, 4-year-old Leighton, is one of three people yet to be found, along with Randy Charba and Will Charba. The bodies of his wife and 6-year-old son have been recovered and identified. Finding the remaining three is the most immediate challenge for the families.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2015, 02:08:49 PM »

http://kxan.com/2015/06/06/ninth-body-found-in-hays-county/
9th body found in Hays County identified, 2 children still missing
June 9, 2015

HAYS COUNTY, Texas (KXAN) — Hays County officials have identified a body found by search teams Saturday.

Officials used dental records to identify the body of 42-year-old William Charba.

Search crews found Charba’s body near the Blanco River at Bluffview Drive in Wimberley area on Saturday afternoon.

Nine total bodies have been found in Hays County following the flooding that happened on Memorial Day Weekend. Two children remain missing.

Search teams continue to search in and along the Blanco River from Wimberley to Martindale in Caldwell County.

Those still listed as missing include:

William Charba, 6, last seen in area of Blanco River at 100 Deer Crossing Lane
Leighton McComb, 4, last seen in area of Blanco River at 100 Deer Crossing Lane

Flood victims identified as of June 9:

William Randall Charba, 42, found June 6 east of Wimberley
Dayton Larry Thomas, 74, found May 24 in northern San Marcos
Michelle Marie Carey-Charba, 43, found May 25 in Caldwell County
Jose Alvaro Arteaga-Pichardo, 29, found May 26 in the area of Loop 165 in Wimberley
Jonathan Andrew McComb, 6, found May 27 near Water Park Road and RR 3237 in Wimberley
Ralph Hugh Carey, 73, found May 28 near Fox Road northwest of San Marcos
Sue McNeil Carey, 71, found May 30 at Lime Kiln and Water Tower Roads in San Marcos
Laura Schultz McComb, 34, found May 30 near the Blanco River near the 700 Block of Bluffview Road in Wimberley
Kenneth Reissig, 81, last seen near FM 32 and RM 473 and found Thursday near the Blanco River at Narrows Road, near the Blanco/Hays County line.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2015, 02:52:39 PM »

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 07:21:10 AM »

http://kxan.com/2015/06/10/memorial-day-weekend-flooding-911-phone-calls-released/
Hays Co. 911 call: ‘A house just went by on the river’
Published June 10, 2015, Updated June 11, 2015

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The night of the deadly Memorial Day weekend floods in Blanco and Hays Counties, the first calls for help came into Hays County 911 about 9:40 p.m. on May 23, newly released audio files reveal. Among them is the voice of one of those lost in the rushing waters. Laura McComb called 911 at 11:11 p.m.

She told dispatchers her family was at their rented vacation property on Deer Crossing Lane in Wimberley. By then, the Blanco River had been rising for more than 2.5 hours.

KXAN reached out to the families to let them know the recording would be aired and published.

Dispatcher: And you said (the water) is in your second floor?
Laura McComb: It’s coming up to the second floor, I mean it’s so high up. And we have no exit out.
Dispatcher: OK, just make sure you don’t go to the attic and get stuck, OK? But I will get (rescuers) out there as soon as I can.
Laura McComb: Okay, bye bye.

Eighteen minutes later, a second emergency dispatcher answered a call from a panicked woman who said their house was “down and floating.” The call, which had been breaking up, suddenly cut out. Three minutes after that, a man just down river, and others, called 911.

Caller: “…a house just went by on the river and there’s a person in it with a spotlight.”
Dispatcher: “You said there’s a house on the river?”
Caller: “Yes, a house just went by through the river. And there was someone in it with a bright light.”

Another 911 call came in at 11:38 p.m. The caller reported hearing people on the river yelling for help and waving flashlights.

“I live on the Blanco River. The water is rising to my back terrace. I just heard two people go by with flashlights, screaming ‘Help me, help me.’ They’re floating down the middle of the river,” one emotional caller told the 911 operator.

It’s not clear if the McCombs got any warning their lives were at risk, that they needed to get to higher ground. In the days after the flood, county leaders said low and high tech solutions were both employed.

“Our communications services, both by our reverse 911 system and by things as primitive as knocking on people’s doors,” said Will Conley, Hays County commissioner for Precinct 3. “We got to just about everybody we needed to get to, and probably saved thousands of lives.”

It’s not clear how many doors deputies got to, and where they didn’t. They began mobilizing about 6:30 p.m. that Saturday, officials said.

Hours later, 911 callers reported seeing up to five people floating down the river, clinging to something and yelling for help.

911 Audio & some video at link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »

There are two children still missing.   

http://kxan.com/2015/06/23/divers-searching-five-mile-dam-park-for-missing-children/
Divers searching Five Mile Dam Park for missing children
June 23, 2015

Leighton McComb (left) and William Charba are still missing following the Memorial Day Weekend floods along the Blanco River.

WIMBERLEY, Texas (KXAN) – Tuesday marks one month since record flooding along the Blanco River killed nine people in Wimberley. Six of those people belonged to one of two families who were staying together in a vacation home along the river for the Memorial Day weekend.

There are still two children who have not been found, and crews were out again this week looking for the pair. Hays County Fire Department employees, the San Marcos Area Recovery Team and Texas Search and Rescue are all involved in the search effort for William Charba, 6, and 4-year-old Leighton McComb.

On Tuesday morning, dive crews focused their search area on the Five Mile Dam Park in San Marcos. According to Kharley Smith, Hays County Emergency Management Coordinator says they’re taking every canine hit seriously.

“We’re not discounting any reports of hits, we’ll send a ground crew out, the one in particular, we have a dive team that’s going to go out and look in the area that we received that information,” said Smith.

Even though it has been a month since the floods, Smith keeps in constant contact with the families involved.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 02:06:53 PM »

Even though this thread was started about McComb family members missing, the Charba family was in the same home that was swept away in the floods.  Leighton McComb, 4 years old and William Charba, aged six are both still missing.  I was conversing with a neighbor just a couple of days ago, and she was convinced there was only one child still missing, and she thought that was Leighton McComb.  Please, let's not forget William Charba, who was in the same house and is also missing.  I could start another thread for him in missing persons.  You see, imo the media cued in on the McComb family because the mother Laura made the 911 call.  I'm still not certain that call should have been released, as it is so heartbreaking.  Her husband survived and I can't think how hard that would be for him with that 911 call out there.  He and Laura's sister and any other close family members could have listened to the call if the police provided it at their request.  To put it there in the news and the net is sensationalism, imo.  Yes, it's sad and it's rather horrifying.  How many clicks did it get?  If it were a piece of evidence in a case, then it's relevant for trial.  What was the purpose of releasing the 911 call?  It breaks my heart to think if it were my brother or my son or my husband making a call like that and it was out there.  Just sad for me.  Folks don't have to agree with my opinion, but that's how I feel about.  I hope both Leighton and William can be found soon.

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2015/06/23/officials-continue-search-of-2-children-missing-in-memorial-weekend-flooding/29119277/
Hays Co. officials continue search for missing 1 month after floods
June 23, 2015

HAYS COUNTY, Texas -- One month after the Memorial Day floods, officials continue their search for two missing children along the Blanco River, according to a Hays County search update.

Nine people are confirmed dead, and teams are still trying to locate 6-year-old William Charba and 4-year-old Leighton McComb. They were inside a home that was carried away by the Blanco River.

Hays County released an overview of the damage on Monday, as reported to the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

According to county officials, as of June 21, there are over 1,500 registrations for federal aid, a total of $6.3 million. This official number is still pending depending on insurance benefits and damage assessment.

County officials provided estimates of residences damaged by the flood that were submitted to FEMA. So far 321 residences are listed as "destroyed," 322 have major damage, 376 have minor damage, 496 are affected and 138 were inspected, but not affected.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 07:34:21 PM »

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/hays-county/2015/08/14/search-resumes-children-missing-floods/31753173/
Search resumes for children missing in floods
August 15, 2015

WIMBERLEY, Texas -- Search crews resumed their work Friday to locate William Charba, 6, and Leighton McComb, 4; the only two people still missing from the May 24 Wimberley flood.

John Simmons and a search dog were combing an area along the San Marcos River in Martindale on Friday.

“These are relatively new areas because the water's receded. So we can get down a little bit closer to the water than we have in the past. So that's why we're redoing these areas,” said Simmons, a member of the Travis County Search and Rescue team.

In the days following the floods, search teams had a lot of help from volunteers. This time the focus is on using only trained people.

"Everything we do, we track with GPS. We upload that, we know exactly where we've been. We know what areas we've cleared, what areas we might want to go back to if we weren't able to access them for any reason. So it is now more of a trained personnel search," said Simmons, before adding that at this point in the search, the K-9s are their best resource.

"When you're working with a dog, you can cover so much more area. At this point, we're relying on the K-9. Because it's not likely that we're going to see anything. It's going to be the K-9 that's going to make a hit," Simmons said.

Search crews were expected to return to Caldwell County on Saturday morning, but an official with Caldwell County Homeland Security said Friday evening that search has been cancelled.  He told KVUE searchers had been held up in another area, and would not be able to make it to Caldwell County.

Crews are planning on heading to Hays County to continue the search beginning Aug. 21.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 10:30:45 PM »

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/hays-county/2015/08/14/search-resumes-children-missing-floods/31753173/
Search resumes for children missing in floods
August 15, 2015

WIMBERLEY, Texas -- Search crews resumed their work Friday to locate William Charba, 6, and Leighton McComb, 4; the only two people still missing from the May 24 Wimberley flood.

John Simmons and a search dog were combing an area along the San Marcos River in Martindale on Friday.

“These are relatively new areas because the water's receded. So we can get down a little bit closer to the water than we have in the past. So that's why we're redoing these areas,” said Simmons, a member of the Travis County Search and Rescue team.

In the days following the floods, search teams had a lot of help from volunteers. This time the focus is on using only trained people.

"Everything we do, we track with GPS. We upload that, we know exactly where we've been. We know what areas we've cleared, what areas we might want to go back to if we weren't able to access them for any reason. So it is now more of a trained personnel search," said Simmons, before adding that at this point in the search, the K-9s are their best resource.

"When you're working with a dog, you can cover so much more area. At this point, we're relying on the K-9. Because it's not likely that we're going to see anything. It's going to be the K-9 that's going to make a hit," Simmons said.

Search crews were expected to return to Caldwell County on Saturday morning, but an official with Caldwell County Homeland Security said Friday evening that search has been cancelled.  He told KVUE searchers had been held up in another area, and would not be able to make it to Caldwell County.

Crews are planning on heading to Hays County to continue the search beginning Aug. 21.

many prayers for the handlers and the dogs . . .

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 01:33:12 PM »

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/10805987-story
Families of missing flood victims not giving up on the search
August 22, 2015

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.