March 28, 2024, 11:42:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 14 Year Old Perry Cohen & Austin Stephanos Missing Since 7/24/15 off FL Coast  (Read 10835 times)
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« on: July 27, 2015, 07:29:37 AM »

MISSING AT SEA: 14 Year Old Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos Missing Since 7/24/15 While on Fishing Trip Off the Florida Coast (Update: Coast Guard Locates Capsized Boat, No One On Board)

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2015/07/27/missing-at-sea-14-year-old-perry-cohen-and-austin-stephanos-missing-since-72415-while-on-fishing-trip-off-the-florida-coast-update-coast-guard-locates-capsized-boat-no-one-on-board/

MISSING AT SEA …

14 year old Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen of Tequesta, Florida have been missing since Friday, July 24, 2015 off the Florida coast. The boys left the Jupiter Inlet about 1:30 p.m. after buying $110 worth of fuel for their 19-foot, white single-engine vessel. It is reported that they were headed east, toward the Bahamas on a fishing trip. After the Coast Guard had searched more than 7,100 miles of ocean waters from Jupiter to Melbourne, they still have not found the missing boys.
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 07:32:26 AM »

Teens' missing boat found overturned, no one on board

http://www.wpbf.com/news/coast-guard-searching-for-missing-teen-boaters/34347492

Original reports said the boat was found off Jacksonville.

The U.S. Coast Guard said the boat was found 67 miles off Ponce de Leon Inlet in Volusia County.

The boat cover and one personal flotation device was missing.

The boat will be anchored in place while search and rescue efforts continue.
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 07:35:31 AM »

I have been boating and fishing all my life as well and I would not for one second take a 19 ft single engine open boat 20 miles off the coast into the ocean, let only 60 miles. What were these kids thinking. The fact that these kids grew up on the water and fished their entire lives makes this even more perplexing as one would think they would understand and respect the vastness, power and unpredictability of the ocean.

I hope they are some how found safe, but this is just insane.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 07:53:46 AM »

I have been boating and fishing all my life as well and I would not for one second take a 19 ft single engine open boat 20 miles off the coast into the ocean, let only 60 miles. What were these kids thinking. The fact that these kids grew up on the water and fished their entire lives makes this even more perplexing as one would think they would understand and respect the vastness, power and unpredictability of the ocean.

I hope they are some how found safe, but this is just insane.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:59:21 AM »

Families hold out hope for Florida teens missing at sea

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/28/families-hold-out-hope-for-florida-teens-missing-at-sea/

VIDEO
Rescuers endured a fourth night of an anxious search for two young Floridians born and bred as boaters who vanished on the high seas.

The Coast Guard scoured an area the size of West Virginia with no sign of the boaters by early Tuesday. The 14-year-old boys' vessel was found capsized two days earlier. But relatives and friends of the teens were clinging to hope that the expertise they acquired boating and fishing in their short lives was enough to keep them alive while apparently lost in the Atlantic.

"This isn't something that he's new at," said Carly Black, the mother of Austin Stephanos, in an interview with television station WPBF. "I think they feel better on the boat than they do on land."

The mother said she wouldn't even "bat an eye" about the boys' ability to survive at sea.

Nick Korniloff, stepfather of the other teen, Perry Cohen, said the boys had been "raised on the water," knew how to navigate safely, and were more passionate about the sea than anything else.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/article29089699.html
The Latest on missing teens: Search area expands
July 28, 2015

JUPITER, FLA.
The latest on the search for the two Florida teens who went missing while on a fishing trip off Florida's Atlantic coast:

7:15 a.m.

Petty Officer Anthony Soto said Tuesday that crews are searching in the Atlantic Ocean as far north as Savannah, Georgia, and as far south as Cape Canaveral, Florida, for Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos.

The pair was reported missing from Jupiter, Florida, on Friday afternoon. They were last seen purchasing $110 worth of gas for their 19-foot boat and were believed to be heading toward the Bahamas. Their capsized boat was found Sunday morning off the coast of Ponce Inlet, more than 180 miles north of where they started their journey

The search has continued day and night.

I'm holding hope they will be found alive and can be reunited with their families. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/boys-674330-coast-guard.html
Missing Florida teens strayed from planned route into open ocean
July 28, 2015

Perry’s stepfather, Nick Korniloff, said his stepson was supposed to remain on the Loxahatchee River and the Intracoastal Waterway during the outing with his friend, as they had numerous times before. Although they clearly ended up in the ocean waters, Korniloff said he didn’t believe the boys were heading to the Bahamas, as some have speculated.

“It’s a bit of a surprise to see, for us, that they went offshore,” Korniloff said.

The saga began Friday, when the boys were spotted buying fuel about 1:30 p.m. A line of summer storms moved through the area later that afternoon and when the teens didn’t return on time, the Coast Guard was alerted at 5 p.m. and launched its search. The 19-foot boat was found overturned Sunday off Ponce Inlet, more than 180 miles north of where the boys started their journey. The search has continued, day and night.

Dr. Claude Piantadosi, a Duke University medical professor who authored “The Biology of Human Survival: Life and Death in Extreme Environments,” agreed, saying the obstacles were steep but the teens could still be alive. The variables, he said, are countless: Could they have clung to a cooler, perhaps, or used it to capture rainwater? Could they have avoided the threat of sharks or other marine life? Could they fight their own thirst and thoughts of drinking the salt water?

“Even though the odds are against them, I certainly wouldn’t call off the search,” he said.

Piantadosi is a former Naval officer and avid boater and diver. He sees dehydration as the biggest threat to the teens and says if they have no water, they are fast reaching the edge of survivability.

“Every hour that passes at this point,” he said, “the chances go down.”

The Coast Guard said three boats and an airplane were scouring the waters off Daytona Beach north through Savannah, Georgia. The families pledged a $100,000 reward in the search and numerous friends and strangers took to planes searching for clues, though the Coast Guard discouraged such private searches. A sighting of an object off the Georgia coast prompted a brief flurry of interest, but it was found to be unconnected to the teens.

Though the boys’ boat was overturned, it did not appear damaged. One life jacket was found near the boat. It was unclear how many life jackets had been on board, nor was it known what other supplies they had.

Water temperatures were warm and not cited as a factor in the boys’ survival.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 07:19:03 PM »

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-n-palm-beach-county/jupiter/austin-stephanos-perry-cohen-search-for-missing-teen-boaters-expands-to-south-carolina

Coast Guard suspends search for Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen, private search continues
Brian Entin, WPTV Webteam
12:10 PM, Jul 30, 2015
8:34 AM, Aug 1, 2015

TEQUESTA, Fla. - UPDATE: 8:15 p.m. The Coast Guard has suspended its search for Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen.

The case is not closed. If new information comes to light the Coast Guard said it has the ability to reopen the case.

"So I do want to express my heartfelt condolences to the family. I met with them on Wednesday. Obviously they're going through a traumatic time. I just want to express my heartfelt sympathy to them," said Coast Guard Capt. Mark Fedor.

The 14-year-olds were last seen a week ago Friday on a boat at the Jupiter Inlet. The Coast Guard found the boat Sunday 67 miles off the Ponce de Leon Inlet.

The families said they will not give up searching until Austin and Perry are rescued.

Perry's stepfather said the families are looking for retired military pilots who have search and rescue experience.

Our families’ are committed to continue the search and rescue efforts of our boys with the aid of volunteer pilots and aircraft. We would like to thank Mr. John Travolta and countless others for their immediate assistance and personal concern for the rescue of our children, and we are extremely appreciative for the aircraft and pilots that they have donated for the rescue of our boys. We have established "The Perry & Austin Rescue Fund" which will continue to be utilized to fund private aircraft, boat fuel and any other additional resources needed for the immediate recovery of our missing boys. www.gofundme.com/perryandaustin 

Karma Is Coming

Justice for Natalee Holloway!

Rest In Peace Sweet Angels

Help Light Lindsey's Way Home
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 12:03:26 AM »

http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/article30559431.html
Families calls off private search for missing teens
August 9, 2015

TEQUESTA, FLA.
The families of two Florida boys who went missing at sea say they've called off their private search.

The Coast Guard spent a full week looking for Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos, who went missing on a fishing trip July 24. The family then launched a private search for the 14-year-old Tequesta teens, with volunteers scouring waters off Georgia and the Carolinas by helicopter, plane and boat.

But the families called it off Saturday, saying there was no new credible evidence or clues to guide the search.

The families say they're starting a foundation in honor of the boys that will promote youth boating education, including legislative action to enhance boater safety and ways to prevent accidents involving teenage boaters.

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 02:42:02 PM »

This is very sad. Two young lives lost because they didn't listen to their parents. The families will be asking a lot of "What Ifs"  I am sure.  I know I would.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 08:43:09 AM »

I'm going to go ahead and move to the Missing Found or Presumed Deceased area.  This is so sad.  If they had just not gone out in the Ocean.
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 04:20:18 PM »

Missing Florida Teens, Perry Cohen & Austin Stephanos, Boat Found off Bermuda Coast

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2016/04/23/missing-florida-teens-perry-cohen-austin-stephanos-boat-found-off-bermuda-coast/

The U.S. Coast Guard and Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission confirmed the discovery of the single-engine vessel on which Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos, both 14. The 19-foot Seacraft vessel was found March 18 by the Norwegian ship Edda Fjord about 100 miles off the coast of Bermuda or about 1,000 miles from where Stephanos and Cohen were last seen before setting off on their fishing trip. The boat was  discovered off Bermuda nearly eight months after they vanished on July 24, 2015. Their vessel had initially been found by the Coast Guard two days after the teens were last seen; however, although Coast Guard rescuers located it near New Smyrna Beach, the vessel wasn’t secured and floated away. Now the boat has finally been found.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 10:21:24 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/24/captain-calls-finding-boat-florida-teens-stroke-luck.html?intcmp=trending
Captain calls finding boat of Florida teens 'stroke of luck'
April 24, 2016

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. –  A Norwegian ship captain has told a newspaper it was a "stroke of luck" that he discovered the boat of two teenagers lost at sea last July.

The Palm Beach Post reported Sunday that Havard Melvaer was in his office aboard the huge supply ship when he stepped outside for fresh air and spotted the 19-foot-long boat.

Last summer, Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen, both 14, had left Jupiter Inlet, Florida, in the boat and never returned. Lengthy searches turned up no clues. The Coast Guard initially located the boat off New Smyrna Beach, but a company hired to retrieve it couldn't find it later.

Melvaer says the boat's in a shipping container and will arrive in Florida in May.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 07:33:44 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/26/family-feud-erupts-over-iphone-recovered-in-search-for-fla-teen-fishermen.html
Family feud erupts over iPhone recovered in search for Fla. teen fishermen
April 26, 2016

The parents of two teenagers who vanished months ago while fishing off the coast of Florida engaged in a new legal battle over a recovered iPhone, with one family filing a restraining order Sunday to keep the phone away from the other family before law enforcement could examine it.

Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos disappeared last July. Each was 14 at the time. Their bodies were never found, but a Norwegian cargo ship spotted their 19-foot boat near Bermuda last month and recovered it. Onboard were Stephanos' phone and some fishing gear.

One day after the Cohen family filed the restraining order, Blu Stephanos, Austin's father, promised to share the phone's data with investigators and both families.

Speaking to the Palm Beach Post, Blu Stephanos said salt water had damaged the phone badly, making it unclear whether any information could come out of it. Still, he added, "I am not giving up hope."

This is not the first rift to appear between the families since their sons disappeared. Last October, Pamela Cohen, Perry's mother, asked that Stephanos' parents not use her son's name and likeness while fundraising for their new foundation.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission took the phone after crews recovered it. The restraining order would have prevented the Stephanos family from taking it before investigators.

A court hearing is pending, said Guy Rubin, the Perry family's attorney. He said his clients have had no formal communication with the Stephanos family about the phone, so "I am not sure what their intentions are."

FWC spokesman Rob Klepper issued a statement Monday saying that since this is not a criminal investigation the agency would turn over the phone and other items to the respective families. Any retrieval of information from Austin Stephanos' phone would only be done with his family's permission, Klepper said.

The cellphone, two fishing rods and two small tackle boxes were recovered from the boat. The phone was shipped ahead to FWC, but the boat and other personal effects were crated and are expected to arrive at Port Everglades next month.

Robert Heller, a digital forensics expert in Texas, said the phone could contain the boat's location, its speed, its direction, distress text messages the boys tried to send, photos they took and other information, assuming it wasn't damaged beyond repair. Even if FWC turns over the phone to the Stephanos family, Heller suspects investigators will download its data for safekeeping, if it is accessible.

"If they didn't make a forensic record, then shame on them," he said.

The Coast Guard searched for a week and the families' volunteer search lasted more than two weeks. During its search, the Coast Guard did spot the overturned boat near Daytona Beach, almost 200 miles from where the boys departed but it was gone when a recovery boat arrived at the location.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 08:40:32 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/austin-stephanos-perry-cohen-new-video-shows-last-glimpse-of-florida-teens-lost-at-sea/
New video may show last glimpse of Florida teens lost at sea
April 30, 2016

Newly released surveillance video may have captured the last time two Florida teenagers were seen alive before disappearing at sea.

Images released by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission show 14-year-olds Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen heading out to sea near Jupiter Inlet on June 24 of last year.

"I think that the video was released because the Florida Wildlife Commission has decided it no longer wants to investigate," Guy Rubin, an attorney for the Cohen family, told CBS News. "But the family thinks that the wrong decision. Why would you end an investigation when you find new evidence?"
That new evidence includes an iPhone and, according to Rubin, pictures that show the boat's battery and engine had been turned off.

The empty fishing boat was discovered by the crew of a Norwegian freighter last month, 100 miles off the coast of Bermuda.

In an emergency court hearing Friday, the two families agreed to turn the iPhone over to Apple to see if any data can be recovered.

Earlier this week, Austin's father William issued a statement on Facebook, which read in part, "To me, this phone represents a connection with my son."

Rubin said the phone could prove what happened to the boys.

"If it has information," Rubin said. "In this day and age, the phone has become the ubiquitous documentarian -- we're creating evidence as we live life."

The Cohen family is hoping that the FBI will investigate the boys' disappearance. The boat is expected to be returned to Florida sometime next month.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.