April 26, 2024, 06:29:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin Milner, Star Of 'Adam-12' And 'Route 66,' Dies At 83  (Read 2327 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: September 09, 2015, 08:54:33 AM »

September 07, 2015 3:59 PM ET

Actor Martin Milner, whose work as Officer Pete Malloy introduced generations of Americans to a tough and honorable policeman on Adam-12, died on Sunday. Milner, who was 83, died at home in Carlsbad, Calif.

Word of Milner's death came out Monday, via a fan page on Facebook. His former co-star on Adam-12, Kent McCord, then confirmed to The Associated Press that the actor had died.

Born in 1931 in Detroit, Milner grew up in Seattle and Los Angeles, where he studied theater at the University of Southern California before his acting career took off.

In 1949, Milner had a minor role in the John Wayne film Sands of Iwo Jima. He went on to other notable roles in the 1950s, acting in 1955's Mister Roberts, with Henry Fonda, and 1959's Compulsion, with Orson Welles. In 1957, he appeared in both Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and Sweet Smell of Success. In 1967, he appeared in Valley of the Dolls.

But one of the most fateful acting jobs Milner had came in 1950, when he met eventual Adam-12 creator Jack Webb on the set of Halls of Montezuma. At the time, Webb was in the second year of making his Dragnet radio series — and two years away from turning the show into a TV series built around Webb as Sgt. Joe Friday.

Milner began working on Dragnet, with some limitations.

"Milner played the role of Sergeant Friday's partner, Officer Bill Lockwood, as well as other characters on the radio series," according to the site Together We Served. "He could convincingly portray Friday's partner on the radio show, but his baby face relegated him to 'the house male juvenile delinquent' roles on the television show."
MORE 

Route 66 ran for more than 115 episodes; Milner followed it up with Adam-12, which ran from 1968-'75. In it, he played Malloy, the veteran cop who was partnered with rookie officer Jim Reed (McCord).

On Monday, Milner's death brought the notice of the current chief of the Los Angeles Police Department. In a tweet, Charlie Beck wrote:

"Adam 12 and Martin Milner embodied the spirit of the LAPD to millions of viewers. His depiction of a professional and tough yet compassionate cop led to thousands of men and women applying to become LAPD officers, including me. Godspeed Martin, you will live forever in our hearts."
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/07/438353111/martin-milner-star-of-adam-12-and-route-66-dies-at-83

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.