April 27, 2024, 12:24:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Grateful Doe' Mystery from 1995 Solved Thanks To Internet Sleuths  (Read 1618 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: December 12, 2015, 03:41:31 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/grateful-doe-internet-sleuths-id-body_5669d88fe4b080eddf577d68

"When I saw the composite drawings, I felt sick to my stomach. My heart just froze,” Grateful Doe's sister said.
12/11/2015 09:16 am ET | Updated 17 hours ago
video
snip

For two decades, authorities sought to identify a young man known for many years only as "Grateful Doe." He was found after a car crash in Virginia, and the only clues authorities had to go on was a cryptic note and ticket stubs for a Grateful Dead concert.

That nickname stuck with him until this week, when DNA testing positively identified him as Jason Callahan.

The man's half-sister, New Jersey resident Shannon Michelson, credits Internet sleuths and the media for making his identification possible.

"Those are the people that put this case in high gear," Michelson told The Huffington Post.

Callahan was 19 in June 1995, when he left home and never returned. Because he was an adult with a history of running away, his family did not file a missing person report until earlier this year.

"My dad, Jason's father, was a very private and complicated man," Michelson said. "I was 9 years old when Jason left. Whenever I brought him up, [my dad] would change the subject. He said Jason always ran away from home and was always into drugs."

Michelson said she never gave up hope that she might one day be reunited with her brother. That hope, she said, led her to search for clues online earlier this year. While doing so, she stumbled upon news articles and online groups that were dedicated to identifying a young man known only as Grateful Doe.

"I saw these posts on Reddit, Websleuths and Facebook," Michelson said. "The members were wondering if my brother could be Grateful Doe and when I saw the composite drawings, I felt sick to my stomach. My heart just froze. He looked so much like my dad and my other brother."

Members of the forums -- volunteers who brainstorm unsolved mysteries -- examined evidence in the Grateful Doe case, including clues found on the unidentified man. One of the members, a former roommate of Callahan's, shared information that led them to believe the unidentified man might be Callahan.

The evidence in the Grateful Doe case was found at the scene of a fatal car accident on June 26, 1995, in Emporia, Greensville County, Virginia. Two bodies were found at the scene. The driver was identified as Michael Hager, a 21-year-old student at the University of South Carolina. Authorities believe he fell asleep at the wheel.

Reconstruction photos

The passenger had no identification and his fingerprints were not in any law enforcement database. Further hindering investigators was the fact that the injuries to the passenger's face were so severe that authorities were unable to release a photo of him to the public.

The only clues to the passenger's identity were two ticket stubs from a Grateful Dead concert at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in Washington, D.C., on June 24 and 25, 1995. The ticket stubs, along with the appearance of the unidentified young man -- which included a Grateful Dead tie-dyed t-shirt from the 1995 summer tour -- led investigators to believe the young man was a "Deadhead," a name given to fans of the Grateful Dead.

In addition to items found on "Grateful Doe," authorities discovered a note near the site of the crash that was addressed to someone named "Jason."

"To Jason, sorry we had to go. See you around. Caroline O. and Caroline T.," the note read. It also had a small doodle and a phone number with a 914 prefix. Unfortunately, the phone number proved to be a dead end. Authorities were unable to find anyone with "any connection" to the note, Lt. Ted Jones of the Virginia State Police told The Huffington Post in 2014.

Authorities were stumped. And "Grateful Doe," or "Jason Doe" as he was sometimes called, would likely have been forgotten were it not for the Internet sleuths, who kept the case alive.

"Jason's old roommate said it looked like him," Michelson said. "So if it wasn't for Reddit, Facebook, Websleuths and the media pushing the story around and getting it out for social media, I don't think I would have seen it."   

Tricia Griffith, owner of Websleuths.com, expressed her condolences to the family. She also said she is glad members of her website were able to help in the identification.

"It comes as no surprise that two true crime discussion forums were behind the identifying of Grateful Doe," Griffith told HuffPost. "Here's hoping law enforcement starts looking at our sites as a legitimate resource to help with everything they do."
  much more at link

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 08:42:59 AM »

I can't even remember how many months I researched this over the years, maybe 3, I don't know for sure.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.